Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I get the feeling this thread wouldn't exist if the writer was a dude, even if the prose itself was identical.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Look at that idiot, can't even write properly!

seems like you are just incompetent at reading...

The peril repetitions scan perfectly fine, they aren't unwieldy and have the correct effect. Your second example gets over laboured a bit, which is supposed to reflect on the character's irritation but after it passes three uses, it loses it's rhythm and reminds me of one of Moffat's late speeches from Doctor Who, which could descend into fragmented, stream of consciousness bullet points. This can reflect upon the character, or just be a series of points that someone didn't have the energy to tidy up in the second draft.

The romance... well that's quite subjective. Smell is a frequent touchstone for romance as it helps paint the picture and insinuates intimacy between the two characters. If your offence is at the scents chosen by the writer... well that's subjective. Personally I love the smell of whiskey on a woman, so, yes, I'd consider it intoxicating...

I'm surprised you didn't mark out "sending book and tumbler and bottle and men careening toward the liquor cabinet." as well, though again, it's construction is a device that emulates the muddle of the room becoming gravity's play thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing more laughable to me than someone complaining about a writer while unable to string together a coherent sentence without glaring gramatical errors.

And the repetition is also a clear literary choice that is common, especially in speeches.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2020-09-02 at 11:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you guys have murdered him enough by now lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Wow, this is like your third or fourth thread regarding Madeleine Roux... How obsessed with her are you?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Can't speak for the third thing since that's largely a matter of taste, but in speech repetition is a useful rhetorical tool when you want to emphasize a point. Same is true of written dialogue.
    Agree 100%.

The third one is just perplexing

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I think you guys have murdered him enough by now lol.
    time to go afk/on an alt account for another year!

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    If you mean by "emphasize" to completely confuse the reader and put him out of the immersion of the book, then yeah I guess you're right.
    This is just awful writing.

Also her sentence "have a care", an attempt at ye old writing, but then it was the only example of ye old writing that it just didn't fit into the book.
    I really hope Blizzard never hires her again.
    Is this the first book you read? On top of repetition being a literary technique like others have mentioned, you completely missed the point that these are people giving speeches and not narration. If you actually immerse yourself in the book and read it as if someone giving a speech, they sound quite powerful.

just in case you are lacking in imagination, try the below for comparison which is one of the most famous movie speeches out there:

We will not go quietly into the night!
    We will not vanish without a fight!
    We're going to live on!
    We're going to survive!
    Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

When it comes to the 3rd point you made.. yea it feels a little weird.

Nothing wrong with the first phrase, but I'd imagine Warcraft books have a low budget so it's understandable that they'd not be very good.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    time to go afk/on an alt account for another year!
    Sorry for being confused but are you implying I am the guy who can't read or am I just wrong on that?
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

How is it possible that Blizzard hires someone that constructs sentences like this?

https://imgur.com/a/L0KGTll

Peril, used 3 times in a fucking sentence.

And then

https://imgur.com/a/yIbGZOR

And her romance on Flynn and Shaw... It's like men writing women but in reverse.

https://imgur.com/a/HeD5ic5

I'm sorry but I didn't like this book at all. She's good at writing cliche romances for middle aged women, but god damn, there wasn't a single thing that reminded me I was still reading a Warcraft novel. Her perspectives at writing from each character's PoV is horrific aswell.

The fact that this got past by the editor even? Does Blizzard even try?
    What credentials do you have to criticise literature? If any at all? Or is it just a problem that the language doesn't resemble that you and your friends are speaking?
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Sorry for being confused but are you implying I am the guy who can't read or am I just wrong on that?
    He is agreeing with you and adding that the guy is going to lay low for a while.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteiry View Post
    I get the feeling this thread wouldn't exist if the writer was a dude, even if the prose itself was identical.
    Looking at their post history, I'd say odds are good that this is the first book they've ever read, and they bought it in a misguided attempt to find evidence that Roux is a bad writer.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but I didn't like this book at all. She's good at writing cliche romances for middle aged women, but god damn, there wasn't a single thing that reminded me I was still reading a Warcraft novel. Her perspectives at writing from each character's PoV is horrific aswell.

The fact that this got past by the editor even? Does Blizzard even try?
    I liked the book, most of the perspectives were on point and arguably better than some other authors offerings.

Kind of confused how you weren't reminded it was a Warcraft novel. Surely mentions of Thrall, Tyrande and so many names for the universe must have jogged your memory somewhat.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this thread an OP who has literally no literary background or knowledge attack a professional writer for using a very common and well accepted literary device. Making themselves look like a fool.

Also in this thread, everyone else trying to point this out to OP and citing sources but being ignored because OP wants to whine.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

He obviously meant me, try to read and understand context lmao.

I don't care if you guys "murder me". Doesn't make this book less awful. You can be repetitive but if that's a good writing technique is another question, I myself did get downgraded in school if I used the same verbs back to back in an essay.

If you guys like this book, all the power to you. This actial writer that commented probably thinks he is one in his mind.

I showed these pages to my friends and my girl, they all shared the same agreement that it was horribly written and detailed. Even Golden, despite her having a bias, is better.

The lore has been in shambles for a while but people oh so valiantly defend the writers who are the direct cause of it Cx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    He is agreeing with you and adding that the guy is going to lay low for a while.
    Sorry for the mix up. I don't pick up on things like that too well.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The lore has been in shambles for a while but people oh so valiantly defend the writers who are the direct cause of it Cx.
    As far as I am aware, and I'm happy to be corrected, Blizzard set out the direction of the lore, there is very little room for the author to change the story. They just paint the picture from what Blizzard have given them.