Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    This whole question is stupid guys How much of you is you? What the hell does that even mean? You can only form a personality through the things you experience. If you don't experience anything, you are nothing. There is no existence without the experience of the outside. So it doesn't matter if my personality is formed via YouTube and Twitch, or via philosophical books and deep thinker movies. You are what you consume, there is no "outside" you that is disconnected from your surrounding.
    but are we truly ourselves? how do we know we aren't just some simulation run by an outside entity?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    but are we truly ourselves? how do we know we aren't just some simulation run by an outside entity?
    We don't know, it's an unanswered question. In my personal opinion our default and tentative assumption should be that we live in base reality and not inside of a computer simulation. Pro-simulation arguments are often based on an "appeal to probability" as opposed to giving an actual reason for why we would be in a simulation.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-01 at 07:23 PM.

What does it matter? Do you feel like a simulation?

As long as it's not distinguishable from reality you should simply accept it as reality. There is no point in even asking the question because you cannot prove it in any way

Maybe around 20%. I'm very easily manipulated.

mmo-champ is probably at least 5% of me!

I am not the same person I was seven years ago... for all my cells have been replaced.

Like the Ship of Theseus, replacing all parts... am I still me?!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-09-01 at 07:58 PM.

I'm atleast 88% me. Some days I feel 69% only.

Very little, and it absolves me of responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I am the total sum of everything I have consumed and experienced throughout my life.

What does it matter? Do you feel like a simulation?

As long as it's not distinguishable from reality you should simply accept it as reality. There is no point in even asking the question because you cannot prove it in any way
    “I think, therefore I am” immediately popped into my brain. I always felt Descartes was on to something here with that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything of me is me, the sources of what comprises "me" as an individual is entirely irrelevant to your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    32.33%. Repeating of course.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Everything of me is me, the sources of what comprises "me" as an individual is entirely irrelevant to your question.
    That's like if I ask you what the meaning of life is and then you say "Everything that is meaningful is the meaning of life". Well yes obviously tautologies are correct, what we're really asking for is a few details that shed light on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Judging the fact that even identical twins, raised in an identical enviorement have different personalities, i would say that i am 100% myself.
    As a twin, I fully agree with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me of this;

What if I told you, all of it is you but none of it is your choice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

How much of you is you, and how much is the weed?
    lmao got em.

OT i'm 10% caffeine, 25% nicotine, 25% alcohol, 30% THC, and 10000000000000000000% HEAVY METAL
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarissa View Post
    Maybe around 20%. I'm very easily manipulated.

mmo-champ is probably at least 5% of me!
    So are you 100% of mmo-champ then?

Does that make us all a part of you and you all of us?

Are you us?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

When I was 17, I took a lot of LSD. After that, I felt like an entirely different person. It changed my perception of the world and myself. I felt like a totally different person after that. Since then, I felt like the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So are you 100% of mmo-champ then?

Does that make us all a part of you and you all of us?

Are you us?
    https://youtu.be/f9O2Rjn1azc?t=98

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarissa View Post
    Sorry, that's just a bit too much self-love for my (your? our?) taste.

My head hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I am pretty much 100% of myself, which I assume is probably the norm for everyone. Now, what that actually *means* is sometimes a very good question, depending on context. In a vacuum selfdom is easy to reconcile - but when you're confronted with the labyrinth of how you see yourself vs. how others see you, or whenever your personal values collide with those of others is when you ask the real questions.

I recognize myself well enough, but I don't always recognize the reflection of myself I catch from the perspectives of others.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead