Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    1 to 10 - starting zone

10 to 50 - one expansion of your choice

50 to 60 Shadowlands
    can confirm this as a beta tester but some ofthe expacs take way longer due to bad quest design (bc and wrath) from what i have tested
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    If the question "What level is this zone?" has numerous answers depending on an assortment of facts about my character, something is wrong.
    Minimum levels on specific zones isn't a new thing. The levelling experience always had a questing pathway that took from X zone to Y zone. Except now it's all contained within an expansion of your choosing, rather than being forced to jump around different expansions at different level thresholds.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Minimum levels on specific zones isn't a new thing. The levelling experience always had a questing pathway that took from X zone to Y zone. Except now it's all contained within an expansion of your choosing, rather than being forced to jump around different expansions at different level thresholds.
    It isn't just minimum levels. The status of the level will be different for different characters who are themselves at the same level, and that's what is convoluted. You have have two level 40s for whom the zone they are in is two different levels relative to them. That's bizarre.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

It isn't just minimum levels. The status of the level will be different for different characters who are themselves at the same level, and that's what is convoluted. You have have two level 40s for whom the zone they are in is two different levels relative to them. That's bizarre.
    The reality is simpler than what you're presenting. You follow the given quest path in the expansion, do the content, get to level 50. If it's feeling convoluted it's because you're making it more complicated for yourself than it needs to be.

The reality is simpler than what you're presenting. You follow the given quest path in the expansion, do the content, get to level 50. If it's feeling convoluted it's because you're making it more complicated for yourself than it needs to be.
    You are oversimplifying it.

If I say to you "Me and a friend are level 25, what level is X zone" and you need to ask me a series of questions to figure out the answer, something is wrong.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    can confirm this as a beta tester but some ofthe expacs take way longer due to bad quest design (bc and wrath) from what i have tested
    I tried Legion levelling in beta and that had some issues as well. Not sure if bugs but there was no way to skip the initial scenario and the amount of XP from that and the initial order hall setup makes it feel ridiculously slow compared to the others. Might have changed since the last time I tried it though.

You can literally have situations where one person is level 15 and another person is level 25 but the level 15 can do the zone and the zone is too high for the level 25. Does that make sense to you? That's bizarre.
    -ynnady

You are oversimplifying it.

If I say to you "Me and a friend are level 25, what level is X zone" and you need to ask me a series of questions to figure out the answer, something is wrong.
    You can literally have situations where one person is level 15 and another person is level 25 but the level 15 can do the zone and the zone is too high for the level 25. Does that make sense to you? That's bizarre.
    If there are unintended scaling issues I'd expect them to be resolved before Prepatch.

However, I've tested multiple times with levelling in beta and it really does feel far simpler and efficient than what we have now.

If there are unintended scaling issues I'd expect them to be resolved before Prepatch.

However, I've tested multiple times with levelling in beta and it really does feel far simpler and efficient than what we have now.
    That isn't unintended. That's the system. I understand that in isolation if you ignore other players it seems quite simple, but the reality is that since the zone scaling is contingent on multiple factors the results are very bizarre.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    This all sounds incredibly convoluted for a system that is supposed to simplify things.
    Because its mostly wrong information.

At level 10 you can pick ANY expansion and level through it all the way to 50. There's no 30-50 this expansion, 15-27 that expansion, etc that people in this thread are suggesting.

You hit 10, you start Wrath or you start Mists or you start Cata or whatever you feel like. Its as simple as that.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I tried Legion levelling in beta and that had some issues as well. Not sure if bugs but there was no way to skip the initial scenario and the amount of XP from that and the initial order hall setup makes it feel ridiculously slow compared to the others. Might have changed since the last time I tried it though.
    yea there are big diffrences

10-50 in BFA took me 7:40hrs, in BC 13hrs and in wrath 11hrs of non minmax levling
    I.O BFA Season 3

That isn't unintended. That's the system. I understand that in isolation if you ignore other players it seems quite simple, but the reality is that since the zone scaling is contingent on multiple factors the results are very bizarre.
    As I've said, tested multiple times, didn't have issues. If you feel otherwise give your feedback to Blizz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    yea there are big diffrences

10-50 in BFA took me 7:40hrs, in BC 13hrs and in wrath 11hrs of non minmax levling
    Yikes, didn't realise TBC and Wrath were that bad. If it stays that way then definitely avoiding those ones.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well the Demon Hunter starting experience on the PTR got me to 20 so there's that.

Oh and ihe mobs there only scale for 15, so even the elites are insultingly easy and the difficulty spikes suddenly when you have to battle Ashvane prison guards. LOL
    Last edited by Wangming; 2020-09-04 at 06:45 PM.

As I've said, tested multiple times, didn't have issues. If you feel otherwise give your feedback to Blizz.
    If my friend and I are both level 30, what level is Ashenvale?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Because its mostly wrong information.

At level 10 you can pick ANY expansion and level through it all the way to 50. There's no 30-50 this expansion, 15-27 that expansion, etc that people in this thread are suggesting.

You hit 10, you start Wrath or you start Mists or you start Cata or whatever you feel like. Its as simple as that.
    What levels are the zones in the expansions I didn't pick?
    -ynnady

Once you choose a chromie time ALL expansions scale to 50 even the ones you are not in. You can go anywhere you want except your dungeons are the expansion you chose. If after 15min your dungeon queue doesn't pop it asks if you want to open your random queue to all expansions.

Without Chromie all expansions start at 10 and go until their level cap. For classic areas that is 25 for TBC WOTLK that is 30 for cata that is 35 for WoD 40 for leigon 45 and for BFA 50.

Cata areas do not start until 30 because they require flying and flying starts at 30 so for chromie purposes they are grouped with classic zones.

Some of the endgame zones of each expansion require levels between the min 10 and expansion max to start:
    For Classic zones thats level 15 for WoTLK/TBC thats lvl 25 i believe
    All leigion zones have level 10min
    All WoD zones have a 5 lvl diff of each zone until lvl 25 i believe
    BFA zones are the strangest since they no longer let you choose the zone to start
    Tirigarde/Zuldazar are 10
    Nazmir/Drustvar are 25
    and the final zones are 35 to start

During chromie time these minimums still apply but their max level is lvl 50 instead of the expansion level max.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Once you choose a chromie time ALL expansions scale to 50 even the ones you are not in. You can go anywhere you want except your dungeons are the expansion you chose. If after 15min your dungeon queue doesn't pop it asks if you want to open your random queue to all expansions.

Without Chromie all expansions start at 10 and go until their level cap. For classic areas that is 25 for TBC WOTLK that is 30 for cata that is 35 for WoD 40 for leigon 45 and for BFA 50.

Cata areas do not start until 30 because they require flying and flying starts at 30 so for chromie purposes they are grouped with classic zones.

Some of the endgame zones of each expansion require levels between the min 10 and expansion max to start:
    For Classic zones thats level 15 for WoTLK/TBC thats lvl 25 i believe
    All leigion zones have level 10min
    All WoD zones have a 5 lvl diff of each zone until lvl 25 i believe
    BFA zones are the strangest since they no longer let you choose the zone to start
    Tirigarde/Zuldazar are 10
    Nazmir/Drustvar are 25
    and the final zones are 35 to start

During chromie time these minimums still apply but their max level is lvl 50 instead of the expansion level max.
    What a mess.
    -ynnady

Alliance

If my friend and I are both level 30, what level is Ashenvale?

- - - Updated - - -

What levels are the zones in the expansions I didn't pick?
    So I copied over a character to the PTR thats currently in the 50s on live. Level 21 on beta.Checking the map: Ashenvale scales level 7-30, without Chromie Time enabled. With Chromie Time enabled (selecting Cataclysm at Chromie in Stormwind) it scales 7-50.

If you and your friend are both level 30, Ashenvale's mobs, quests, rewards will be at level 30. Ashenvale specifically is scalled 7-30. When you and your friend hit level 31, Ashenvale will stay at level 31. If you enable Chromie Time for Cataclysm, it scales to 31 when you hit 31 etc etc. You have to go to Chromie to do so, and she's by the embassy in Stormwind (and I assume Orgrimmar's as well, but #ForTheAlliance)

BUT WAIT I'M BORED OF CATA (Or only have Vashjir left) and want to switch to Wrath and am level 31! Well then you go select Chromie time for wrath, and now BT/HF are level 31.

Basically pick the expansion you want to level in until you hit 50, or get bored of that Expansions content, and go back to the capital city and choose the next one. You even get an intro quest telling you where to go to start that campaign/expansion.

I really can't explain it simpler than that, so if you still don't get it my advice is to get on the PTR (its free and you have access just by having WoW) and test it out play around with it until you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoc216 View Post
    So I copied over a character to the PTR thats currently in the 50s on live. Level 21 on beta.Checking the map: Ashenvale scales level 7-30, without Chromie Time enabled. With Chromie Time enabled (selecting Cataclysm at Chromie in Stormwind) it scales 7-50.

If you and your friend are both level 30, Ashenvale's mobs, quests, rewards will be at level 30. Ashenvale specifically is scalled 7-30. When you and your friend hit level 31, Ashenvale will stay at level 31. If you enable Chromie Time for Cataclysm, it scales to 31 when you hit 31 etc etc. You have to go to Chromie to do so, and she's by the embassy in Stormwind (and I assume Orgrimmar's as well, but #ForTheAlliance)

BUT WAIT I'M BORED OF CATA (Or only have Vashjir left) and want to switch to Wrath and am level 31! Well then you go select Chromie time for wrath, and now BT/HF are level 31.

Basically pick the expansion you want to level in until you hit 50, or get bored of that Expansions content, and go back to the capital city and choose the next one. You even get an intro quest telling you where to go to start that campaign/expansion.

I really can't explain it simpler than that, so if you still don't get it my advice is to get on the PTR (its free and you have access just by having WoW) and test it out play around with it until you get it.
    I get it. What I'm demonstrating is that you had to type four paragraphs to explain what should be a one number answer. That's what "convoluted" looks like.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    No, the whole point of Chromie Time is that you can pick a single expansion to level through from 10-50. The scaling is supposed to be such that completing the main story of an expansion will bring you to exactly max level.
    Question is tho, does that include doing all side quests to fully complete the zones or simply main storylines? Fully completing zones will be a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    No, the whole point of Chromie Time is that you can pick a single expansion to level through from 10-50. The scaling is supposed to be such that completing the main story of an expansion will bring you to exactly max level.
    Super late on this, but what I meant by "A Bug with Chromie Time" is that the way I think it's supposed to work OUTSIDE of Chromie Time is the list I gave. Inside Chromie Time, all expansions are supposed to be 10-50. So I think the bug is that while outside Chromie Time, zones still report their starting level as 10 as if you were in Chromie Time for all zones, then show the end levels correctly (except Cata expansion specific zones).