Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    They aren't a joke race, they are comic relief. There's a difference in that they are meant to be taken seriously as a fantasy race that contributes to the Alliance effort, but they are also meant to be silly and whimsical as seen in their general outlook and their actions within the game.

They are not Hobbits as presented in Lord of the Rings. They are more akin to humanoid versions of Droids in the Star Wars universe.

End of the day, Gnomes simply won't be able to escape the association with being whimsical and comic relief. It's built into their identity. They aren't a joke like the Mr. T Night Elf Mohawk, but they are undeniably connected with being silly. No matter how serious we want it to be, a gnome dude with wild pink hair just isn't going to be taken too seriously. Mekkatorque is as close as we can get to being serious, and even then his whole schtick is riding around in an oversized mech that makes him look like Baby in Captain Commando.

Aye, I fully agree. I think though that the line between a serious but light hearted race to down tone a situation with a whimsical perspective and a joke is a very fine line and blizz hasnt been the best at walking it properly and it does create some issues with the perspective, like for example mekatorque in the legion cinematic Was a bad ass in his mech suite and there's a number of key quests that show gnomes and just how integral and important they are in the universe but then They get instance where it seems obvious the writer went full joke race and it actualy juxtaposes alot with the more correct to the lore and World portrayal of gnomes. I'm knocking blizz but also I recognise its not easy to walk that line.

I learned to accept cutesie and comical stuff from Blizzard since I started playing their games back when they released Starcraft (I was 8, 90's kid here).
    If you want 100% brooding, edgy uberdark stuff, then you've been blind to what Blizz does with their games.
    Spewing that shit about comic relief in WoW while also citing Warcraft 3 as an example (when that game brought us Pandaren, and incredible and memorable serious units such as "The Largest Panda Ever")... like, dude, where you been?
    Pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyram View Post
    like, dude, where you been?
    Pay attention.
    Magnitude matters. Some silly thing stuck in the side of view that you can easily overlook that is also obviously intended to be a gag versus bringing it into the fold as a major piece, front and center. There was like 1 panda in wc3. Then, they became the entire focus for a fucking xpac.

I learned to accept cutesie and comical stuff from Blizzard since I started playing their games back when they released Starcraft (I was 8, 90's kid here).
    If you want 100% brooding, edgy uberdark stuff, then you've been blind to what Blizz does with their games.
    Spewing that shit about comic relief in WoW while also citing Warcraft 3 as an example (when that game brought us Pandaren, and incredible and memorable serious units such as "The Largest Panda Ever")... like, dude, where you been?
    Pay attention.
    They went overboard with this expansion though, even in WQs i face shit like fairy mushrooms and cutesie but corrupted animals
    They're desperately trying to lower the age rating

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    They went overboard with this expansion though, even in WQs i face shit like fairy mushrooms and cutesie but corrupted animals
    They're desperately trying to lower the age rating
    Yea all about increasing player pool by trying to attract any newer young players. Funny the last person said playing since sc1...I honestly cannot think of how any little part of that game was cutisy or comical. That in game cinematic with the zergling clawing into the marine, blood spewing, is still vivid to me 20 years later. It’s the way things are going and if you want some grimdark, there’s always 40k.
    Last edited by RCA; 2020-09-05 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Zergling Not Hyrdalisk

They gave Pandas a whole damn expansion and a turtle, that didn't turn out so bad. Let people have their furry little gypsies.

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Yea all about increasing player pool by trying to attract any newer young players. Funny the last person said playing since sc1...I honestly cannot think of how any little part of that game was cutisy or comical. That in game cinematic with the zergling clawing into the marine, blood spewing, is still vivid to me 20 years later. It’s the way things are going and if you want some grimdark, there’s always 40k.
    Yes, a game that quotes The Simpsons and King of the Hill is full-on grim and edge. Hell, the Science Vessel is voiced by Mr. Burns.
    And if you forgot the pee joke from the battlecruiser... I mean, I'm glad that all you seem to remember from Starcraft 1 is the blood spewing, but... that's not all that it was. Most (if not all) Blizzard games are a mix of grim with whimsy and some good, lighthearted pop culture.

Everytime i see op post i hear this and this thread is waaaay less cringy

--- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-09-05 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Removed Meme Video

When they were announced I thought it was stupid. But playing the game I barely noticed a difference to be honest they dont stand out in any way.

Goblin had already gotten me used to smaller race I guess.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take seriously? Its a fantasy rpg video game my guy, play what you want.... i just don't get what the issue is lol

OP kinda for sure seems like he has some personam shit to work thru lol
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2020-09-05 at 06:25 AM.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think you should just worry about yourself and not about what others enjoy. I personally think Worgen are hideous so I just don't play one. Simple as that. It's silly to get upset over stupid little things like which race people prefer to play. I think Vulpera are a lot more unique than Lightforged Draenei so I'd rather have them.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Its hard to believe we got them sooner as a playable race than ogres.
    Vulpera fit through standard doorways. Ogres don't.

I think people forget this is a game and that there's a world outside of it.
    Are Vulpera infringing on your life as a human being?
    Why just not remove all races and keep only humans, who are living the day to do life? and let's call it World of Simscraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Sounds like the definition of taking something seriously and being butthurt about it
    Yes, exactly.

But for real, if there are no healers in the WPvP group and other easy to counter classes, they're the first target... because why not? I have to start on something.

Yes, a game that quotes The Simpsons and King of the Hill is full-on grim and edge. Hell, the Science Vessel is voiced by Mr. Burns.
    And if you forgot the pee joke from the battlecruiser... I mean, I'm glad that all you seem to remember from Starcraft 1 is the blood spewing, but... that's not all that it was. Most (if not all) Blizzard games are a mix of grim with whimsy and some good, lighthearted pop culture.
    So just unit quotes, which take an absurd amount of clicks to produce. It’s hidden at that point, you know just for fun...not actual. Watched that brood war trailer again since talking about it, maybe it’s blood...maybe it’s debris but still shows the horror of the Zerg and that cinematic has stuck we me over the years. Listen, I’m on the same page as you, don’t care that vulpera are a thing now, just realize the company has catered to crowds that weren’t thought before.

I don't like them, they don't even really look or feel like they belong in WoW tbh.

I can't blame people for playing them though. They have good animations, and good customization. I wish they weren't a playable race, but whatever. They're unpopular enough that I don't really care. I mostly play Alliance these days so whenever I'm interacting with one, I'm probably throwing a chaos bolt in its face.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Exactly, I think Blizzard just added them to cater towards the furry market.
    There it is.

Threads over people!
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Look man, I agree these comic relief and cute things are just silly, but Blizzard is all about money. And they like to cater to the biggest possible audience. And there are people who like to play the silly and/or cute stuff. So it's not for you and me and that's that. Just something to accept and move on with your life.

Or you can make threads on mmo-c and let the hatred flow through you. That's good too.
    This argument is proven false with the inclusion of mechagnomes.

7+ Year Old Account
    vulperas are infinitely better than gnomes and elves

baffle me how elf and gnomes players act like they have some sort of moral high ground to talk shit bout other races

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayoftheSun View Post
    This argument is proven false with the inclusion of mechagnomes.
    mechagnomes are an upgrade of normal gnomes

and blizzard can't just add only cute/silly races for the entire of the game, even if it make money, they have to diverse and cater others fanbase

People claiming it was done to lower the age rating are hilarious. Delusional too.

This game is PG13, yet always had a majority of adults playing.

Not everyone hinges their image on playing "badass" races in MMORPGs.