My recent post made me ponder a question: How bad is it in Peru?

Peruvian excess deaths to end of July were 180% more than covid-deaths, which indicate severe under-counting and Peru is still 2nd in per capita covid-deaths after the tiny state of San Marino. Assuming the under-reporting remained (and was actually covid-deaths - it could also be a general health-system collapse) Peru has 82k deaths covid-deaths, or 0.25% of the population.

Lockdown from March 16th, with gradual opening since June/July (followed by somewhat increasing number of cases). However, lockdown don't work well if you have neither refrigerators nor Uber Eats (or similar).

Masks mandatory since March 17th; but likely many masks are non-reusable masks being reused.

Anyone know more?

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    My recent post made me ponder a question: How bad is it in Peru?
    It might be a problem with elevation. Peru has a large amount of people living at high elevations which can't be good with a respiratory disease. That could be a factor in several of the South American countries having issues. Bolivia and Colombia also have a lot of people living high up. Peru and Bolivia have 9 of the the 11 highest cities (over 10,000 feet elevation) with over 100k population.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    It might be a problem with elevation. Peru has a large amount of people living at high elevations which can't be good with a respiratory disease. That could be a factor in several of the South American countries having issues. Bolivia and Colombia also have a lot of people living high up.
    But reports claim lower rates of infection at high altitudes in Peru; and Bolivia and Colombia report less than half the number of cases per capita compared to Peru (don't know about excess deaths).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common? Argentina doesn't really have cities at high elevation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common?
    The most obvious explanation would be susceptible population (i.e., people not yet infected), cities, and that they actually test.

The reason we see it now and not earlier is likely that there was less travel from China to Latin America early on, and many of them had early lockdowns that slowed down the spread.

I would say that the part of the world that is difficult to explain is actually Africa (although a young population helps). Clearly the cases are under-reported (a lot), but the numbers are going down and there hasn't been that much talk about overcrowded morgues and hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common? Argentina doesn't really have cities at high elevation.
    less wealthy countries with less social security nets and less resources to implement measures.

Lots of Manual labour who can't work from home or can't afford to not go to work.

I don't think Latin America having high numbers is shocking, them not having high numbers would be much more shocking.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    US did pass Sweden in Deaths/1m pop, and Sweden have a very low number of deaths now (looking at the trend, not individual days) Time to give Sweden some recognition of there course of action. It was always a marathon and not a sprint.
    Using the US response to the coronavirus as a measuring stick of success is not the "recognition" you want...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Studies are contradictory. Some show promise, some don't. And it's probably worth noting that given the time table we're operating on, no drug will have the time to go through the proper tests, vaccines included. Steps had to be taken at a legislatory level in order to make sure that they wouldn't have to go through the "proper tests". If we were to stick to the non-emergency timetables, we'd have to wait three or four times more for the vaccines. Evidently we can't wait that much.
    Again though, the problem comes back full swing like in my first reply to you. If we rush,w e risk causing far more deaths or problems. I get people want this fast, but we can't do fast unless they recognize that it will be untested, unproven and unverified for any level of safety. Then the governments would need to accept the fact that people aren't going to take an untested, new and essentially experimental drug with the alternative is something they may not catch and have a very high rate of surviving.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Again though, the problem comes back full swing like in my first reply to you. If we rush,w e risk causing far more deaths or problems. I get people want this fast, but we can't do fast unless they recognize that it will be untested, unproven and unverified for any level of safety. Then the governments would need to accept the fact that people aren't going to take an untested, new and essentially experimental drug with the alternative is something they may not catch and have a very high rate of surviving.
    It's not being used as a blanked treatment here, but it's been instrumental in getting a lot of people out of the ICU. Further testing is needed, obviously, that much is not being questioned. And when someone's literally dying to an interstitial pneumonia, you do throw everything you have at it. It's called expanded access or compassionate use depending on which side of the Atlantic you're from and it's been widespread during the pandemic worldwide - and instrumental in making progress.
    Nobody is suggesting to skip the unskippable aside from politicians and people who understand nothing of the matter, which is why I've always been extremely skeptical of announced vaccine availability predictions - and thus far I've never been wrong, as the dates get inevitably pushed forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought people had learned to live with this virus in the wild. At least that it would plateau and we would not have to worry about spikes. People need to relax.

Wear your masks, distance, don't linger, and we can live at a 70% pre-Covid normal. You can do more if you have a circle of friends with integrity that get tested and stay safe while apart. That way yall can be even more social without masks. The getting tested and always being safe outside of your circle is the key part that people don't follow and lie about.

If my anxious ass can cope I know other people can.

Side note. A lot of medical treatments fail not because the treatment does not work, it's because people stop treatment the moment they feel better thus regressing. That's what's happening in the world.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I notice absolutely nothing about this dumb virus here, everything is back to normal. Only sign is the actual signs that says ''keep your distance'', because mandatory masks in busy streets failed so they gave up.

I've been back in the gym and everything, full contact boxing sparring since July 1st.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Side note. A lot of medical treatments fail not because the treatment does not work, it's because people stop treatment the moment they feel better thus regressing. That's what's happening in the world.
    Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    I notice absolutely nothing about this dumb virus here, everything is back to normal. Only sign is the actual signs that says ''keep your distance'', because mandatory masks in busy streets failed so they gave up.

I've been back in the gym and everything, full contact boxing sparring since July 1st.
    They think "everything is back to normal", but in reality they went from averaging ~50 new cases a day at the beginning of July to 500+ a day a month later, and for the month since.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I thought people had learned to live with this virus in the wild. At least that it would plateau and we would not have to worry about spikes. People need to relax.
    Well clearly you thought wrong, seeing as how people learned nothing at all, keep disregarding social distancing because partying is more important than breathing apparently, and even most of those who are less imbecilic still haven’t learned how to properly use PPE over several months - hell, the situation even worsened, at least when the whole thing was scary they weren’t properly fitted but they at least kept the nose covered, whereas now seeing people covering just their mouth (or using masks as if they were arm bands) is commonplace. Worse yet, we now face throngs of negationists because they “can’t see the virus” (sic) or anyhow believe it’s not a thing for one inane reason or another. There’s very little cause to relax.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm absolutely terrified by the reopening of schools in Europe.
    Don't be.
    Germany's schools have been open for a month now and what happened?

Right: nothing. We had a gentle increase in detected cases, most were from vacation returnees (since that's the main testing area now) and a few from private parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKI
    There are outbreaks in various districts throughout Germany, which are associated with different
    situations, e.g. larger celebrations in the family and among friends. In addition, COVID-19 cases are
    identified to a large extent among travel returnees, especially in the younger age groups.
    Source: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

There was no "ERMAGAAWD CATASTROPHIC SPIKE DUE TO SCHOOL OPENINGS!!11"

People need to stop overdramatizing this damn virus. There is nothing to be "terrified" about. I'm sick and tired of all this nonsensical fearmongering.
    Europe does not have excess mortality since week 20 now.

We need:
    Vigilance: yes. Fear: no.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2020-09-06 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Don't be.

Right: nothing. We had a gentle increase in detected cases, most were from vacation returnees (since that's the main testing area now) and a few from private parties.
    There was no "ERMAGAAWD CATASTROPGIC SPIKE DUE TO SCHOOL OPENINGS!!11"

People need to stop overdramatizing this damn virus. There is nothing to be "terrified" about. I'm sick and tired of all this nonsensical fearmongering.
    Currently true (possibly except some countries like Russia), but several countries in Europe are seeing increasing cases like France, and to a smaller extent Italy and the UK.

Certainly Germany has it under control (at least for the moment). Maybe the others will also get it under control, maybe not. However, even if the reported cases in France are now larger than in March/April it's likely that the actual cases were far larger back in March/April.

I agree that overdramatizing is a problem and I believe that it also increases the problem - since we are likely to focus on a few things (like schools) and ignore other things that are as important, or even more important, and also that it grows tiring and since it cannot go on forever there is a risk of declaring "victory complete" and go back to old normal.

Don't be.

An amusing definition of nothing, considering the education unions' opinion on the matter. And the unacceptable delays in testing for returning travelers, since you brought that up.

We need:
    Vigilance: yes. Fear: no.
    Fear is useful, it keeps people from acting idiotically. It's what allowed the first wave to die down in Europe. As the fear diminished in the post first wave phase, cases started soaring again. Now that the holidays are over in most of Europe, fear has returned: people returning to big, crowded cities, schools reponening... far more scary than being on holiday. And what I'm seeing as a result is a higher level of compliance with anti-Covid measures - a higher level of vigilance, if you prefer. How is that a bad thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear is useful, it keeps people from acting idiotically.
    Excessive fear is detrimental to rational thought. And history has proven time and time again, that people in a panic will do ANYTHING idiotic or not, if they think it helps them survive.

I say, respect the virus but do not fear it. Especially if you are <60.
    Statistics indicate that the bug is harmless to this age group.

Why should I (35) be "terrified"? It makes no sense at all.

BTW, I chuckled at the 100+ group. Didn't know there were that many of them

PS: If you think there was a second wave in Germany, think again:
    Table translation:
    week | #tests | #positve | %positive | #of labs submitting data

Yeah, that's what media LOVES to withhold.
    Everyone sees "rising numbarz!!11" but few people put these numbers into a proper context.

If you e.g.: test 3x as many people today compared to yesterday, you're bound to find more positives, even if the %age of infected is actually constant.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2020-09-06 at 11:56 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Excessive fear is detrimental to rational thought. And history has proven time and time again, that people in a panic will do ANYTHING idiotic or not, if they think it helps them survive.

I say, respect the virus but do not fear it. Especially if you are <60.
    Statistics indicate that the bug is harmless to this age group.

Why should I (35) be "terrified"? It makes no sense at all.

BTW, I chuckled at the 100+ group. Didn't know there were that many of them

PS: If you think there was a second wave in Germany, think again:
    Table translation:
    week | #tests | #positve | %positive | #of labs submitting data

Yeah, that's what media LOVES to withhold.
    Everyone sees "rising numbarz!!11" but few people put these numbers into a proper context.

If you e.g.: test 3x as many people today compared to yesterday, you're bound to find more positives, even if the %age of infected is actually constant.
    That is some excellent points. While I do personally respect it and try to follow the rules to help reduce it, the extent of fear over here, is being pushed for mainly political reasons.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    What I am waiting for are the October/November months.
    Traditionally these are the "plague months" at my school. Last year, 33% of my colleagues were taken out by illnesses.

It'll be very interesting if we see a resurgence of SARS-CoV-2 during that time, though I am hoping that the test they use is specific enough to not get triggered by the more common corona viruses we have every year.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2020-09-06 at 12:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you test X amount of people or 3x amount of people... what is the change in the actually infected?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi