Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    That's the lore explanation, but mechanically it looked a lot like dual classing. Which was OP's question about, after all.
    The cinematic is just made to look "realistic" (or at least somewhat plausible) and no ruler of nation would step on a battlefield in cloth "armor". This has nothing to do with classes, neither mechanically nor in lore. The concept of classes simply does not exist in lore as it does for us players. There is no magical limitation on swords that prevents a priest from picking them up, technically anduin wouldn't even count as a proper priest since he probably was never ordained. He is just a prince that read some stuff and received a formal royal education.

Drakka can carry around 2 daggers on her belt and 2 swords and use what ever she seens fight depending on the situation. While that might represent multi-classing as in games like D&D, at the end of the day it means nothing in the context of WoW.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-09-05 at 01:51 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

FFXIV 'biggest competitor' with their 18k players online PepeLaugh. That idea is so bad.

prob not, shes classed as a "Hero npc" and they can be and do what every they like such as Anduin wearing plate, and wielding swords despite being a priest

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who loves FFXIV, and finds the Job Change System in that game refreshing, it wouldn't work well in WoW for two reasons, one mechanical and one thematic/RP:

Mechanically, it would require a complete redesign of the game's functionality on a core level. It would be WoW's own A Realm Reborn-level undertaking, but WoW is nowhere near the absolute crisis state FFXIV 1.0 was in when it was taken down and rebuilt. It would be a hard sell to the highers-up to take the game down for months to blitz through a massive overhaul of the game's basic functions, or to leave the old version of the game running and work on it behind the scenes. Something like this would have to be a Hail Mary by necessity, because otherwise you're putting a lot of faith on a big risk.

Thematically, it wouldn't work because, aside from Med'an, most character who multiclassed in the lore only have two or, at most, three classes to their name, and maintaining these skills equally is a serious drain on their time--Thrall backslid as a warrior when he began focusing on his abilities as a Shaman, Illidan shows very little skill as either a Rogue or Mage anymore now that he's embraced the path of the Demon Hunter, Anduin gave up outright on retraining as a Warrior when he and Aerin both concluded he simply didn't have the knack for it (even in Battle for Azeroth, he's notably a subpar warrior relying more on hulk-smashing in melee using Smites than on skilled weapon use, while he remains an exceptional priest). Sally Whitemane uses very little of the Light as a Death Knight, for many reasons.

Draka is currently the only character we see who manages both her Warrior and Rogue training in seeming equal amounts now that Med'an languishes in the realm of Questionably Canon.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Don't use cinematics or lore to guess new game mechanics.

I'm already annoyed enough that I can change my specialization.

Imagine Jaina swapping to fire with no explanation for a quest or two because "she's a mage, not a frost mage!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Draka is not the first, and will not be the last lore character who can pull off abilities that belong to multiple playable classes or specializations. NPC/lore characters are not, and were never bound by the same rules that we as players are. Thrall has been in the game since day 1 as a hybrid of a warrior and shaman. Jaina, Khadgar, and many other high tier mages are not bound by specializations and can pull off incredible feats using all types of elemental magic. Anduin is still considered a priest, yet he fights with a sword, plate armor, and regularly engages in melee combat. Most characters can throw a punch without being a monk.

Game mechanics do not apply to non-player characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Lineage 2 had that and i loved it.
    Could just change between Duelist and Mystic Muse.

Good times. I vote for something like that.
    Didn't Guild Wars (atleast GW1) have dual classes too?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

In FFXIV, you are using soul crystals in order to use the abilities. You are the same person, but the core of your power changes depending on your class.

If they could somehow put that into WoW, where rather than making a class, you are making a blank avatar which is able to swap their core to be able to do other forms of magic/combat, then I'd be fine with it.

But honestly, I don't really see why they should. It's fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I'm already annoyed enough that I can change my specialization.

Imagine Jaina swapping to fire with no explanation for a quest or two because "she's a mage, not a frost mage!"
    Jaina have already shown that her Arcane mastery is pretty darn high, despite being primary a frost mage.
    She most likely do know how to cast Firebolt or Pyroblast, but she prefers to use either Frost or Arcane, as it comes easier to her.

She is a Archmage. Not out of this world to imagine her being able to use all their elements.
    Last edited by Benitora; 2020-09-05 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen some massive over reaching in my time, and boy, this sure is one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    What are you trying to say with your avatar and location other than spouting stereotypes and prejudice?

Go home snowflake. I'm spouting facts about multi classing never becoming a thing.

This is the class system in Ashes of Creation:

You choose the class vertically and the class horizontally and see at the intersection what your final class is.
    Best class system I've ever seen in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    So in the Afterlives trailer, Draka changes her way from being a Warrior to being a Rogue.

We know Blizzard likes to copy other games, and FFXIV, WoW's biggest competetor, has a system where you can be "all" classes/jobs on your 1 main character.

With the current meta of "maining" so many characters, constantly switching specs, and the constant complaint that people want things account wide...

If your Night Elf can be all Night Elf classes, maybe people would go back to playing 1 character?

NOTE: I don't personally want this.
    No. I think it’s just demonstrating that you can exist as something different in the afterlife/shadowlands - it’s not that dense. There’s plenty of examples of this in the different zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    it would require, an ENTIRE revamp of the base game at is structure, Classes would need to be removed, Race/class combos would be non existant, not to mention all the loot would need to be rejigged from EVERY expansion.

all current features requiring Transmog would need to be revamped.

factions themselves would need a rework, on how one choose said Faction.

it requires so much work, it would be better rebuilding the game,

tbh if WOW existed and had this from the get go, it would be such a better game IMO.
    To be fair, it wouldn't require an overhaul of loot. Loot would basically remain the same, your character would just have to equip gear for whatever class you switch to. Going FORWARD they could just make tank,healer,dps gear, which might save them effort long term, but I think would be a detriment as it would reduce unique looks.

Transmog could still be locked by the armor type you have equipped but would let you learn all types on one character.

How would this change how factions work? Factions have nothing to do with classes. There is no class in modern WoW that is locked to a faction. Also why would this require classes being REMOVED?

At it's base you'd pick a class, and unlock other classes probably through a quest for each class. In FF14 you equip a soulstone to switch (usually via an equipment set so you swap gear at the same time. FF14 has a separate gear bag for each gear slot) and all your bars and etc switch over at the same time, a bit like how you switch class specs in wow.

Not saying it wouldn't be hard, but most of this is kind of irrelevant. It's the coding to allow swapping classes to begin with that would be the first hurdle and we don't know if one character actually swapping between classes wouldn't break something fundamental in the code.

Part of me would like this as I have like 22 alts and would like to have... 5. but I'd much rather prefer revamping hero classes to be advanced versions of existing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Never gonna happen. Wow is not built to support that kind of shit, you make a character for each class, that's how the game is built
    Because?...

That's like saying the game wasn't built to support dualspec

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharendil View Post
    Because?...

That's like saying the game wasn't built to support dualspec
    No, because dual specs would still mean that everything was consolidated into one class, and you could even at that point respec.
    Multi classing would mean a complete overhaul and rework of the game's oldest system, the class system.

It is also the biggest risk they could ever take, which Blizzard clearly won't do as it risks destroying their entire game, alts are very important to a lot of things after all.
    This is one of those things where I feel like with 100% certainty, I can say that it will not happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    no lol

Stop reading too much into stuff.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Haha, let me play on my female rogue on monday, then change to male priest on tuesday, I sexually identify as an attack helicopter warrior on wednesday and warlock on thursday, haha lol wait why does my friendslist keep changing? Wait, why do I not have friends? Where is my good friend XxpussydestroyerxX he's nowhere to be found. Wait, why can I not keep track of the people I met, everyday the possibility of developing long term friendships with players in this game only seems to grow even more narrow by the day, as if, as if those manipulating our society are fabricating a weapon of mass division within us, as if, to ever so increase their rule, to keep us distracted figuring out our differences, to drown us in a sea of solitude and weakness, a sea of unnatural, to eliminate what categorizes us as humans entitled to rights, to slowly strip us all from our humanity with all the questions and doubt they provoke, to bring us to our knees, disappointments of our former selves, and subject us all to their masterful evil plan of absolute and eternal dominance.

No.
    Last edited by Hekazi; 2020-09-06 at 07:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    Haha, let me play on my female rogue on monday, then change to male priest on tuesday, I sexually identify as an attack helicopter warrior on wednesday and warlock on thursday, haha lol wait why does my friendslist keep changing? Wait, why do I not have friends? Where is my good friend XxpussydestroyerxX he's nowhere to be found. Wait, why can I not keep track of the people I met, everyday the possibility of developing long term friendships with players in this game only seems to grow even more narrow by the day, as if, as if those manipulating our society are fabricating a weapon of mass division within us, as if, to ever so increase their rule, to keep us distracted figuring out our differences, to drown us in a sea of solitude and weakness, a sea of unnatural, to eliminate what categorizes us as humans entitled to rights, to slowly strip us all from our humanity with all the questions and doubt they provoke, to bring us to our knees, disappointments of our former selves, and subject us all to their masterful evil plan of absolute and eternal dominance.

No.
    I think you're onto something, can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Whenever I see something like this it makes me wish that Blizzard would have made you effectively kill one of your characters to make a Death Knight. That would have gave the choice real weight and impact on your play.