Poll: Rate the movie: Mulan [2020]

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Mulan [2020]

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mulan [2020]

Didn't see a thread for it but I decided to create one after I watched it. Here's my review of the movie:
    I did not like this movie at all. In fact, it is most likely the worst of the live action remakes that I have ever seen. The choice to choose between the legend and the legend based animated musical and chosing the first was a very unwise the decision. It did not feel like a Disney film at all. The Jungle Book was similar to how Mulan is, except it was GOOD. There were few songs in the Jungle Book but none in Mulan. Now at first I didn't have a problem with it but after watching it? This movie is basically a hollow shell. It rushes the plot, introduces an interesting character and when she shows up, she points and wags her finger and does a "I'll get you next time!" before flying off. The actress also playing 'male' Mulan did an awful job. Sounded nothing like she was trying to be a man. There's SOOOOOO many iconic scenes just taken out so the movie is "diFfEreNT". The taking out of the iconic music is what truly butchers the film completely. I couldn't even get through half of it without pauisng to watch the rest later. I fell asleep. Literally the worst Disney remake of all. Do not waste your money.

Now, if you have or haven't watched it, what's your opinion on this movie?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Disney, in their attempt to chase China money, managed to alienate both Western AND Chinese audience.

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/sta...52476465590272

This thread is just perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Movie was pretty crappy

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Disney, in their attempt to chase China money, managed to alienate both Western AND Chinese audience.

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/sta...52476465590272

This thread is just perfect.
    To be fair I can do that with ever film that portrays history.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    To be fair I can do that with ever film that portrays history.
    Well, Disney was priding themselves on making this movie accurate to the myth and the chinese culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well, Disney was priding themselves on making this movie accurate to the myth and the chinese culture.
    I can see Disney saying "it's based on Myth, there is no accuracy as it's not real."

Don't get me wrong, the Twitter thread was interesting, but a lot of it is nitpicking, especially nitpicky for a movie made by Disney who have never been particularly accurate in any of their portrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I can see Disney saying "it's based on Myth, there is no accuracy as it's not real."

Don't get me wrong, the Twitter thread was interesting, but a lot of it is nitpicking, especially nitpicky for a movie made by Disney who have never been particularly accurate in any of their portrayals.
    At least we know that the intended audience wasnt impressed, to say the least.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They literally pulled a Star Wars and made Mulan into an Asian version of Rey. She's a Mary Sue who has zero nuance or depth of character, while the original animated movie built up her character and had her overcome challenges. There's zero nuance and the overall entirety of the film is trash and does such a disservice to the original, it's quite shameful.

From that twitter feed looks like it's a bag of shit that neither acuratly represents the real Chinese myth nor is it entertaining enough to get away with being a western interpretation.

Guess I'll save my money, which is a shame as I was looking forward to going to see it.

I honestly don't know much about China, but it seems the movies that do the best there and come out for US audiences afterwards, tend to be epics and wide ranging movies. I doubt Mulan was ever going to reach that scale and Disney wouldn't take the project serious enough.

I'm not going to say I would be able to make a movie for China better than Disney, but I sure as shit wouldn't choose Mulan as my jumping off point. It seems more like pandering. They would be better off making Mulan for US audiences and releasing a cut there, the average Chinese person would likely overlook it's shortcomings at that point. Instead of half assing the project like it was meant for China to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm come to terms that the live action movies aren't for people who grew up with the cartoons

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Good. Hopefully Western entertainment companies stop peddling to China with cringe attempts

Pretty much a downgrade from the animated movie in every way. The irony is that the only somewhat interesting character was the witch. Mulan is a ki jedi for some fucking reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot diversity in that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    From that twitter feed looks like it's a bag of shit that neither acuratly represents the real Chinese myth nor is it entertaining enough to get away with being a western interpretation.

Guess I'll save my money, which is a shame as I was looking forward to going to see it.
    The first three minutes of it was creepy and I believe iirc, the first ten minutes she's already made her decision to leave. It's a pretty stupid and crappy movie. I loved the Lion King remake and people hated that? Well wait until they get a load of this!!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Not a lot diversity in that movie.
    They should have had the dragon in it and made him Scottish.

For once I think it would have been a better idea to have Chinese people heavily involved in the writing and production, particularly for cultural and historical accuracy, since the target audience is China and it's a Chinese story based in China. Better that China likes it than nobody liking it. Not surprised at all that it's just a cringeworthy hollywood/disney clichefest though, Star Wars was the same.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I haven't watched this movie yet but considering Disney's streak of bad live action remakes, I don't expect much from this one either. I have heard things like Mulan being turned into a Mary Sue and leaving out sidekicks from the animated movie that were actually really funny, but had to be cut due to China not being a fan of them. And on top of that they are asking 30 dollars while you already have a Disney+ subscription to watch which is not something I'll ever support. I doubt that I'd bother to watch this movie for free.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I haven't watched this movie yet but considering Disney's streak of bad live action remakes, I don't expect much from this one either. I have heard things like Mulan being turned into a Mary Sue and leaving out sidekicks from the animated movie that were actually really funny, but had to be cut due to China not being a fan of them. And on top of that they are asking 30 dollars while you already have a Disney+ subscription to watch which is not something I'll ever support. I doubt that I'd bother to watch this movie for free.
    From one of the twitter links in this thread apparently the animated one was rated a 7.8 on Douban while this live action one is currently at a 4.8. Even if that 7.8 would have been a 10 had they removed the sidekicks it probably wasn't worth it to remove them. Or make any of the other changes.

It's pretty disappointing to hear how bad this one is. It was the only live action one I was actually interested in seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    From one of the twitter links in this thread apparently the animated one was rated a 7.8 on Douban while this live action one is currently at a 4.8. Even if that 7.8 would have been a 10 had they removed the sidekicks it probably wasn't worth it to remove them. Or make any of the other changes.

It's pretty disappointing to hear how bad this one is. It was the only live action one I was actually interested in seeing.
    Odd. Comments by those who have seen the movie are all positive. But there is a huge backlash against the lead for her political views.