Poll: Should Dr Who and Red Dwarf Get a U.S Reboot?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Dr Who and Red Dwarf Get a U.S Reboot?

I’ll admit British shows coming to the U.S are hit or miss. But these are the two shows I’ve always heard so much about but never got a chance to get into. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Dr Who series I could watch from the start.

Who do you think should be cast for either?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

They brought Torchwood to the US and it sucked ass,so Dr Who is a firm fuck no,Hollywood touching Red Dwarf is pitchforks and torches time.

10+ Year Old Account
    God no... They tried to make a Red Dwarf US version and it didn't get past pilots.

Just watch what exists and steer clear of any horrible rip-offs.

Red Dwarf series are only 6 episodes long, just start at the beginning.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    They brought Torchwood to the US and it sucked ass,so Dr Who is a firm fuck no,Hollywood touching Red Dwarf is pitchforks and torches time.
    With Red Dwarf they tried in the 90s twice. First one even had Robert Llewellyn as Kryten.
    The second had different actors and Cat was female, played by Terry Farrell (AKA Jadzia Dax in DS9)

- - - Updated - - -

I would add the Doctor Who movie (not the Peter Cushing ones, but main timeline one) was also an attempt to Americanize Doctor Who.

I have no idea why anything would need a US reboot. Seriously, wtf was the point of Gracepoint after Broadchurch?

Somethings just don't translate well across the Atlantic.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant you just watch the real one, no need to make a shitty reboot.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

why would Dr. Who need a reboot when the original is still going? just need to get it back on netflix.

STOP IT WITH THE REBOOT PANDEMIC.

Make something original, something new. There's tons of good writers out there. Just find it in yourself to get over that "but how will we know if it'll suceed?!" hump - that's how it's been for basically EVER before some studio execs decided to only bankroll stuff with an already established audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    When did they do Torchwood?

Red dwarf allready tried and failed 2 pilot episode were filmed but never aired and Dr Who had a tv movie in 1996 and it flopped...so id say whats in uk stay in the uk. as much as i would want to see a u.s reboot it will never happen,they dont know hot to adept british tv to transition well to american audiance
    The difference beteween genius and stupidity... genius has its limit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    STOP IT WITH THE REBOOT PANDEMIC.

Make something original, something new. There's tons of good writers out there. Just find it in yourself to get over that "but how will we know if it'll suceed?!" hump - that's how it's been for basically EVER before some studio execs decided to only bankroll stuff with an already established audience.
    Thats just it, most people aren't going to do new TV Shows, myself included. It seems like even new shows with "original stuff" usually just get ignored. Kinda like with movies.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    When did they do Torchwood?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood:_Miracle_Day

As an American, absolutely not. Some things should remain as they are. Those are British franchises and should remain as such, same with James Bond, he shouldn't suddenly be Canadian.

Idk about Red Dwarf but Doctor Who should just end. It's been such a downfall since the 11th's departure that I wish the show ended then.

I do remember Shameless being a reboot of a British show of the same name so it's not like it would automatically be bad. I love US Shameless.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I haven't watched Red Dwarf but the wikipedia synopsis has it as something that could be interesting and cool to be updated for a general audience. Dr Who though is a big fat no for me. I never liked just the base premise if the series. It always seemed so hammy and weird. Outside of specific contained stories (like back to the future), time travel adventures for the most always just feel contrived to me.

When Avengers Endgame went the time travel route it immediately turned me off. I just have too much of a logical brain for any story where time travel itself isn't the central theme to not just "why?" all the time in the story. Back to the Future is about the time travel itself. Everything in the story revolves around it. That is what makes the story work because the time travel isn't a tool used in the story to facilitate problem solving, in Back to the Future time travel itself IS the problem that needs solving. But for stories like Endgame and the Dr Who series, time travel is just a tool in the story of the adventure itself and when time travel is a tool it just brings up too many questions for real immersion. For me.

So yeah, i'll pass on a Dr Who reboot. I'd prefer any other adaptation of other popular sci-fi novel series.

that doesn't appear to be a reboot, it also doesn't appear to be a flop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Somethings just don't translate well across the Atlantic.
    While I agree with this statement, I feel that it needs some qualification.

Alot of British shows just don't... Flow well, there are obvious exceptions to this.

Dr. Who
    Red Dwarf
    Monty Python

Those are the 'big three' that come to mind in that regard, they work really well here in their original, British made format, even if some of the culture is lost in transition, we more or less get the gist of things off the bat, due to how well they're written.

But then there are also some other shows that do well with an 'american reboot', to put it in such a way. It could be for a myriad of reasons, maybe the original's subject matter was decidedly 'too british' for an American audience.

Such an example of this is "The Office", notably with Steve Carell in it, as I hear the show went down after he left.

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

I’ll admit British shows coming to the U.S are hit or miss. But these are the two shows I’ve always heard so much about but never got a chance to get into. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Dr Who series I could watch from the start.

I thought you guys had access to the newer series of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Doctor Who - NEVER. EVER. AT ALL.

Us British just make some tv shows better than Americans and Doctor Who is one of them.