Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by LucyKemp View Post
    Will this game be more akin to the original Baldurs gate, or more like divinity? I liked the former, and not the latter so much sadly!
    More like divinity they looks pretty similar imo. Divinity is alright though but i much more enjoy games like Pathfinder, Pillars etc but will get it anyways for the coop.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    More like divinity they looks pretty similar imo. Divinity is alright though but i much more enjoy games like Pathfinder, Pillars etc but will get it anyways for the coop.
    I'm personally quite happy it's more like divinity. I kept wanting to like the games you listed, but the AI was so bad that you simply couldn't just let your other party members do their own thing, so you basically either had to play on faceroll difficulty or embrace what is quite possibly the worst combat system of all time: real time with pause. If I have to constantly spam the pause key and hop around to make sure things are set up properly, it might as well be turn-based. Full real time action or actual turn-based gameplay are much preferred.

https://youtu.be/1LCo3Vx9BRc?t=570
    This is simply painful for me to watch

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I'm personally quite happy it's more like divinity. I kept wanting to like the games you listed, but the AI was so bad that you simply couldn't just let your other party members do their own thing, so you basically either had to play on faceroll difficulty or embrace what is quite possibly the worst combat system of all time: real time with pause. If I have to constantly spam the pause key and hop around to make sure things are set up properly, it might as well be turn-based. Full real time action or actual turn-based gameplay are much preferred.

I do enjoy the world interactions in divinity so im happy either way, will be a kingmaker 2 later on too so i dont complain i get both.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You can do the same thing in Warhammer fights. I like it myself. From a strategic view, it certainly is helpful. There is always the option not to use it however if one prefers.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Have they mentioned anything about a console release for BG3?

Real time with pause is miserable in hard fights, and good for quick/easy fights. Turn based being the opposite. At least imo. I prefer turn based.

Pathfinder is the only CRPG with both modes that ALSO lets you switch between the modes mid play-through. I really need to try to play that game, but I just get so instantly lost trying to learn how even simple things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Real time with pause is miserable in hard fights, and good for quick/easy fights. Turn based being the opposite. At least imo. I prefer turn based.

Pathfinder is the only CRPG with both modes that ALSO lets you switch between the modes mid play-through. I really need to try to play that game, but I just get so instantly lost trying to learn how even simple things work.
    I have to replay Kingmaker now that they've added Turn based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I have to replay Kingmaker now that they've added Turn based.
    wait, they did?! Omg now ill actually be able to play that without feeling like I have to micro manage every single pause.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    wait, they did?! Omg now ill actually be able to play that without feeling like I have to micro manage every single pause.
    Ya, and like I said, you can switch between the 2 modes on the same playthrough. I'm not sure if it's just a hit a button kind of switch, or what, but ya.

The little time I spent with the turn based mode (about an hour) before I got horribly lost in DnD mechanics like I always do, it seemed like alot of work and effort was put into it.

I've read that their turnbased mode is better than the one added to Pillars 2, because DnD lends itself well to being turnbased, and PoE2 was obviously not designed at first with that in mind.

I didn't actually know kingmaker added turn-based combat. Now I want to give it another try!

I didn't actually know kingmaker added turn-based combat. Now I want to give it another try!
    Ya I just stumbled upon it myself. I heard alot of reporting when they added turn based to PoE2, but nothing about kingmaker.

Ya I just stumbled upon it myself. I heard alot of reporting when they added turn based to PoE2, but nothing about kingmaker.
    I don't think they really advertised it greatly, in the kickstarter for KM2 they talked about how it would have Turn based options, and in that post is where they said they were adding it to the original.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because it's a fan mod, not an officially released feature. It's been here for some time.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-09-07 at 07:29 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Because it's a fan mod, not an officially released feature. It's been here for some time.
    It's an official feature now. I have no mods installed and it's there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am still the weirdo who absolutely loved Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil interpretation of turn-based combat, which seemed the closest to tabletop rules by far.
    I've had bad luck in older DnD games, I don't think their non-story elements aged well, but I gotta check that out sometime.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not even sure you can get it to work these days (IWD2 for instance cannot work unless you have a PC in a time-capsule somewhere). If you do, make sure you find the Circle of Eight mods because the game was BUG RIDDEN.
    I got Icewind Dale 2 from GoG and had zero problems with running it.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Really? My old IWD2 will not run whatever I do and I've tried.
    Well, GoG makes sure that their games will run, with more or less extra steps required. But all GoG Black Isle games were always fire-and-play for me.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-09-07 at 04:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I guess the issue is I am trying to use the original CDs
    Shame no IWD2:EE, source code got lost or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would have absolutely loved if they actually did some Enhancing and gave us companions for IWD in the first place.
    Plenty of mods out there, one of them creates a fully fledged set of companions, with characters and dialogues.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-09-07 at 04:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's an official feature now. I have no mods installed and it's there.
    Yeah the recent turn-based addition to Pathfinder Kingmaker is an official one from the developers themselves. It's listed in one of the recent patch notes that came out.

It is not the turn-based mod that's been around for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    TBH those deaths happened very late in the game in DOS2.
    Daemos already corrected it, but for posterity.

DOS2 is the first game I experienced where once you reach the end of its Act 1 those companions who are not in your party 'die' and cannot become a part of your party for the rest of the playthrough.

I haven't played past Act 1 much so I don't know if I'd consider that 'very late in the game'.

As an example, in a game like Dragon Age Origins/2/Inquisition/Mass Effect 1 (haven't played the other ME games) there's essentially a consistent cast of characters that the protagonist can take along with them pretty much all the way to the end of the game, in which you can do all companion quests as well in a single playthrough.

Thus why DOS2 was the most surprising with its companions, because you literally cannot complete every companion's story/quest in a single playthrough.

Yeah I guess the issue is I am trying to use the original CDs
    You could try it with Dosbox