Poll: Rate the movie: Mulan [2020]

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Mulan [2020]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was so looking foward to a mature version of mulan, instead we got this garbage. It even ignore and destroy the actual message of the tale of mulan. Which is that women arent to be dissmissed and can do what they have to do to protect their family just as much as men. She was just an average soldier at best, but she was smart, she used her brain to save the day. Its relatable, most of us arent elite fucking jedi soldier, but mabye we can use our head to do something right. In the new movie, shes just a jedi, an emotionless jedi for most of it too. The only reason she can join men and be awesome is that shes a jedi that can kick objects so strong it kills people. Girls if you are an overpowered super hero with perfect ki, men will accept you to do anything! They even got the casting right, how did this garbage even happen. Bunch of scenes dont even make sense. Like people change their minds in the laps of a 30 second scene for no apparent reason, other then it was in the original. Okay but in the original, there was a reason they changed their mind or they literally didnt.

The biggest example is the dad, the first part of the film, the dad is encouraging her all her childhood to be a fighter, train and be a small jedi. Now shes an adult, dad wants her to be a concubine, you cant be a jedi doing martial art, you are a women! THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MAKE HER DO THESE THING HER ENTIRE CHILDHOOD, HELLO DAD? YOUR HEAD, DID YOU DROP ON IT IN THE TIME SKIP? Movie: in this world women dont have KI, THEN WHY THE FUCK DID THEY TRAIN THIS SMALL GIRL TO FIGHT WITH HER KI??? HELLO MEN??? Is the theory that they lose Ki at puberty, dunno, its not like the movie ever explains anything. So why add the ki part, to literally add another reason why women would be oppressed, because you know 5th century china, clearly was not hard enough on women to get the original myth point accross. BUT SHE HAD TO LOOK LIKE A BAD ASS FROM THE START, SO WE HAD TO MAKE HER A MARTIAL ART MASTER CHILDREN INITIALLY, BUT WE HAD TO SHOW WOMEN HAD IT BAD TOO!
    Last edited by minteK917; 2020-09-07 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did at least Mcdonald bring back the Szechuan Sauce back for this movie?

https://mcdonalds.fandom.com/wiki/Szechuan_Sauce

They removed the dragon, and they removed the song "be a man".

This was confirmed a while back so i figured i probobly wouldnt see it unless it got some really good ratings.

and by the looks of it, the ratings are record low so mulan 2020 is a bullet i dodged
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

After i've seen it i can say it's just not good.

Instead of it being a story about a girl succeding trough hard work,
    it's now a story about a girl, who was born with jedi powers which she uses to succed.

The 1st half loosely follows the same plot we've seen previously...
    the 2nd half however is very different (and not in a good way)
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2020-09-07 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    They removed the dragon, and they removed the song "be a man".

This was confirmed a while back so i figured i probably wouldn't see it unless it got some really good ratings.

and by the looks of it, the ratings are record low so mulan 2020 is a bullet i dodged
    See when I heard they were taking away those aspects of the animated movie for this live action movie I was pleased, because then wouldn't be getting another shot for shot remake. I liked the idea that they wanted to tell their own story.

Unfortunately that was not the case, we did get a semi-like spot for spot remake just without the music, Mushu and Li Shang. So what I initially wanted we didn't really get anyway. So I wondered why they removed them at all. It's like they wanted to do their own thing, and then intervention was like, "better keep it familiar" last minute.

Maybe if this was done by a studio that wasnt Disney then this could have been a good movie, a real more mature Mulan movie. It could have been awesome.

So when I watched this Mulan remake, seeing it was PG13 I expected it to be treated as such. But more the fool was I. The writing in this was not suited for a more mature audience it was very kid friendly. Even the message was so on the nose that adults would role their eyes, I know why this got as PG13, but the overall movie did not warrant it. Not with the horrible writing it received.

Such a shame I loved the original movie, and the message in that movie was handled way better than the live action movie. A movie I hoped ould try and tell the tale differently but instead is just another shit Disney live action remake.

Why have Disney continued these horrible live action remakes... This really needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    See when I heard they were taking away those aspects of the animated movie for this live action movie I was pleased, because then wouldn't be getting another shot for shot remake. I liked the idea that they wanted to tell their own story.

Unfortunately that was not the case, we did get a semi-like spot for spot remake just without the music, Mushu and Li Shang. So what I initially wanted we didn't really get anyway. So I wondered why they removed them at all. It's like they wanted to do their own thing, and then intervention was like, "better keep it familiar" last minute.

Maybe if this was done by a studio that wasnt Disney then this could have been a good movie, a real more mature Mulan movie. It could have been awesome.

So when I watched this Mulan remake, seeing it was PG13 I expected it to be treated as such. But more the fool was I. The writing in this was not suited for a more mature audience it was very kid friendly. Even the message was so on the nose that adults would role their eyes, I know why this got as PG13, but the overall movie did not warrant it. Not with the horrible writing it received.

Such a shame I loved the original movie, and the message in that movie was handled way better than the live action movie. A movie I hoped ould try and tell the tale differently but instead is just another shit Disney live action remake.

Why have Disney continued these horrible live action remakes... This really needs to stop.
    They wont until they made all of them, because people go see them in the hope the next one is good. It will just depend on how many turd they can do with a nostalgic name attached to it, before people figure out they need to stop "hoping" this time its the good one.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I was so looking foward to a mature version of mulan, instead we got this garbage. It even ignore and destroy the actual message of the tale of mulan. Which is that women arent to be dissmissed and can do what they have to do to protect their family just as much as men. She was just an average soldier at best, but she was smart, she used her brain to save the day. Its relatable, most of us arent elite fucking jedi soldier, but mabye we can use our head to do something right. In the new movie, shes just a jedi, an emotionless jedi for most of it too. The only reason she can join men and be awesome is that shes a jedi that can kick objects so strong it kills people. Girls if you are an overpowered super hero with perfect ki, men will accept you to do anything! They even got the casting right, how did this garbage even happen. Bunch of scenes dont even make sense. Like people change their minds in the laps of a 30 second scene for no apparent reason, other then it was in the original. Okay but in the original, there was a reason they changed their mind or they literally didnt.

The biggest example is the dad, the first part of the film, the dad is encouraging her all her childhood to be a fighter, train and be a small jedi. Now shes an adult, dad wants her to be a concubine, you cant be a jedi doing martial art, you are a women! THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MAKE HER DO THESE THING HER ENTIRE CHILDHOOD, HELLO DAD? YOUR HEAD, DID YOU DROP ON IT IN THE TIME SKIP? Movie: in this world women dont have KI, THEN WHY THE FUCK DID THEY TRAIN THIS SMALL GIRL TO FIGHT WITH HER KI??? HELLO MEN??? Is the theory that they lose Ki at puberty, dunno, its not like the movie ever explains anything. So why add the ki part, to literally add another reason why women would be oppressed, because you know 5th century china, clearly was not hard enough on women to get the original myth point accross. BUT SHE HAD TO LOOK LIKE A BAD ASS FROM THE START, SO WE HAD TO MAKE HER A MARTIAL ART MASTER CHILDREN INITIALLY, BUT WE HAD TO SHOW WOMEN HAD IT BAD TOO!
    Don't forget that the training guy for the army turns people away for not being good fighters.

A stupid change because it means her father would have been turned away making her sacrifice pointless

Am boycotting the movie altogether, based on the lead actress' political statements (she supports China in the Hong Kong debacle) as well as due to the changes made. It says a lot that they managed to alienate both western AND eastern audiences. I usually give these "live" action remakes a chance, but not this time.

Now to wait and see how they'll botch The Hunchback of Notre Dame... I bet "Hellfire" won't be there, Frollo will be purely but not too apparently driven by racism/overly inflated sense for law and order and Quasimodo will be ugly in a hot way. Like Steve Buscemi.

https://www.thewrap.com/mulan-critic...tration-camps/

Disney’s “Mulan” remake is facing scrutiny after its credits thanked the Turpan Municipal Bureau of Public Security, a bureau that has helped China’s communist government imprison Muslims in concentration camps.
    Getting better and better. Let this be a word of caution to everyone who thinks any corporation supports them with rainbow flags and BLM tags. They will quickly drop it when they smell bigger pile of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    https://www.thewrap.com/mulan-critic...tration-camps/

Getting better and better. Let this be a word of caution to everyone who thinks any corporation supports them with rainbow flags and BLM tags. They will quickly drop it when they smell bigger pile of cash.
    Of course a fictional film about empowerment supports de-powering people in real life.

Theres always delicious ironies below the surface of these grotesque/lazy cash grabs
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-09-07 at 10:26 PM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

So... Mulan has superpowers now?

I haven't seen the movie but doesn't that kind of negate the message of equality? Women have to have superpowers to stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post

I haven't seen the movie but doesn't that kind of negate the message of equality? Women have to have superpowers to stand out?
    Yeah even as a young girl the film starts with her flipping/running up and down buildings.

Because being born special like the 1% is a better message than working hard and being smart.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    (she supports China in the Hong Kong debacle)
    Woah that's so strange... I could understand a person taking a globally unpopular position in the name of principles, but doing so at the cost of principles is utterly bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Am boycotting the movie altogether, based on the lead actress' political statements (she supports China in the Hong Kong debacle) as well as due to the changes made
    I believe she has family in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I believe she has family in China.
    You can say that, if she just defended China. But she outright said that police should shoot the protesters.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You can say that, if she just defended China. But she outright said that police should shoot the protesters.
    Maybe she wss instructed to say such.
    Her family vs protesters.

I won't judge her personally.
    But if I get the opportunity I will judge the movie.

I've had enough of China to last the rest of the decade. Plus the lead actress' political views irk me. Skip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm come to terms that the live action movies aren't for people who grew up with the cartoons
    Same 100%. I kinda enjoyed the Jungle Book remake but just because the original didn't fully resonate with me, so it was mostly a new experience.

The others just feel like agenda-pushing money grabs and I wish Disney would stop ruining their classics' legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Instead of it being a story about a girl succeding trough hard work,
    it's now a story about a girl, who was born with jedi powers which she uses to succed.
    It's the story about a girl who learns to be true to herself. She has powers, but they are inaccessible until she accepts who she is regardless of societal rules. It's just a different type of character growth (that takes place over the course of roughly two scenes mind you, but your description is inaccurate).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post

No, it doesn't. In the film, men who have and use "super powers" (chi) are "warriors" while women who have and use them are witches. Women and men both have inner power, but women are not allowed to use it, and when they do, they are cast out. That is the starting point. The development is watching Mulan learn to accept who she is, that she does not have to conform to societal norms, and that she can and does become a warrior while her society realizes the benefits of equality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metzger84 View Post
    I've had enough of China to last the rest of the decade. Plus the lead actress' political views irk me. Skip.
    I get that. However, I don't think it fair to judge and dismiss the work of thousands of people who made this movie based on the political position of one mediocre actress (albeit, the "star").
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2020-09-08 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Did at least Mcdonald bring back the Szechuan Sauce back for this movie?

https://mcdonalds.fandom.com/wiki/Szechuan_Sauce
    Another reason to be upset! The sauce isn't that bad for a McDonald's product, they even brought it back locally last year in my area for about a month, but no sign of its return. At least the Happy Meals aren't coming with CCP armbands?

Hoping to find someone willing/dumb enough to spend $30 to watch the movie so I can watch with them, since I don't plan on even pirating the movie. From the trailer, I kind of got a soft-core Chinese action film vibe, akin to a toned down Jet Li action flick... is that where the 'Mulan just has superpowers' is coming from? If that is the case, that does kind of kill one of the many original messages of the animated film. If even half of the criticisms being levied against this film are true, this is a prime example of a company bereft of virtue and morality, bowing down to the false idol of money.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville