Unhappy Maldraxxus Covenant Ability - Abomination Limb Concerns

The damage of Abomination Limb seems to on par with the other abilities, but my personal concern is its practical use in Raids and M+. It would seem constantly pulling mobs within 20 yards could be extremely inconvenient in a plethora of situations when doing even semi-difficult content.

I LOVE the Maldraxxus theme! I also know a lot of people are saying you should just pick the Covenant that most appeals to you thematically. I'm just worried that if I go Maldraxxus I'm going to have a handicap in damage from not being able to use it very often. Even worse, I may have a completely dead ability during important encounters in PvE content that will simply make my character weaker than others or potentially unviable altogether.

I would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this subject because being able to do content at at least semi-high skill level is important to me. Thematic aside, choosing a bad or the "wrong" ability could very well hinder my enjoyment of this expansion.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to the bullsh*t permanent choice covenant system... But hey! You know.. tHAt OnlY AfeCTs the 1% oN toP!.... .. .. .. .

Ok.. on the topic. Yeah. It suck. I also want to be edgy necroboi. I love the setting, art... everything. But right now abomination limb is very good for pvp.. but in pve like you stated.. it can cause multiple problems and you realy need to think about how and when to use it. The single target dps that provides is very low for 2 min cd.
    And fleshcraft is close to useless in fights without extra adds.. and that 4 sec channeling cast is making it even worse and annoying to use.

All the other covenants provide a lot more utility and damage increase to all the specs for the dks. Night fae the most at this moment.
    Last edited by Draken4o1; 2020-09-04 at 03:09 PM.

Yeah, there are probably going to be some places where you want to avoid it (Halo and Killing Spree wave hello), but there are also a ton of situations where it could be incredibly helpful- need to keep adds from getting to the boss (like on Yazma or Raal)? Need to help the tank drop Necro stacks or otherwise avoid getting hit? Need ranged mobs pulled out of Sanguine pools? Mobs running away? Just some ideas.

What are the situations that you think it could be detrimental?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Teeth View Post

I would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this subject because being able to do content at at least semi-high skill level is important to me. Thematic aside, choosing a bad or the "wrong" ability could very well hinder my enjoyment of this expansion.

What do you guys think?
    There are up and downsides to every ability.
    Maldraxxus abilities offer utility other covenants do not (and the other way around too).

I like it. I don't think it will be game breaking.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-09-04 at 06:51 PM.

there are also some situations in which it will be incredibly handy, like an AOE repetable Death Grip, so you'll have to use some judgement instead of pushing the button on CD for more dps...

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Yeah, there are probably going to be some places where you want to avoid it (Halo and Killing Spree wave hello), but there are also a ton of situations where it could be incredibly helpful- need to keep adds from getting to the boss (like on Yazma or Raal)? Need to help the tank drop Necro stacks or otherwise avoid getting hit? Need ranged mobs pulled out of Sanguine pools? Mobs running away? Just some ideas.

What are the situations that you think it could be detrimental?
    Pulling mobs you aren’t in combat with in m+.
    The flip side of trying to keep adds away from a boss or target you are trying to burst down where they can explode or provide a buff to the target if they reach it.
    Fights where adds drop something when they die, such as N’zoth or Sanguine, causing the tank to have to adjust further.

Imagine if there's gonna be a strat like Aggramar's, imagine how you could single handedly stop some orbs or whatever from reaching the boss(at the cost of not dealing damage if the boss is still vulnerable, which usually he is not).
    I'm still going Necrolord even if the spells of my class aren't viable in PvP, why care about optimization when you can have fun?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    There are up and downsides to every ability.
    Maldraxxus abilities offer utility other covenants do not (and the other way around too).

I like it. I don't think it will be game breaking.
    Its not really good utilitywhen its only usefull in 10% of the time while the other covenants are usefull 80% of the time. Its just gimping yourself except for that 10% of the time you can use it. Does that sound like a good tradeoff?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    Imagine if there's gonna be a strat like Aggramar's, imagine how you could single handedly stop some orbs or whatever from reaching the boss(at the cost of not dealing damage if the boss is still vulnerable, which usually he is not).
    I'm still going Necrolord even if the spells of my class aren't viable in PvP, why care about optimization when you can have fun?
    Fun is nice until you start getting declined over raids and m+ groups because your choice is garbage. unless you play alone doing solo content or with a bunch of shitter friends that cant accomplish anything meaninfull in the game then it doesnt matter what they do to the game, it wont affect you in any way.
    Last edited by Kendros; 2020-09-05 at 06:00 PM.

I'ma pick based on the armor set I know what I want just don't remember the name.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Kendros View Post
    Its not really good utilitywhen its only usefull in 10% of the time while the other covenants are usefull 80% of the time. Its just gimping yourself except for that 10% of the time you can use it. Does that sound like a good tradeoff?
    Your fantasy numbers don't really impress me, but you'd technically be right.

But well... you are just drawing a picture in your head that does not portray reality. So what gives..
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-09-06 at 08:04 PM.

Does abomination limb really pull mobs that you aren't in combat with? I haven't been able to test it myself, but I just assumed it would only target mobs that you are already in combat with... Wtf is the point of that design???

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm about to pick this I think because I really like Fleshcraft. Using it while moving, perfect. I also don't care about raid performance enough to base my Cov choice around it. I'm that player who stops DPSing to do mechanics, the extra damage is whatever to me.

Also I can tell Abom Limb is gonna be useful to me in M+. Also it scales really damn high, like 125% was it??? It's gonna be SLAPPING as the xpac goes on.

I was looking at Night Fae conduits and I kinda don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by toon181 View Post
    Does abomination limb really pull mobs that you aren't in combat with? I haven't been able to test it myself, but I just assumed it would only target mobs that you are already in combat with... Wtf is the point of that design???
    You woulda thought that with storm earth and fire but for a long time it may has well been the barrage for ww monks.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

What i have tested is it only pulls mobs you are in combat with. Also the range is shorter than Deathgrip
    <Who is John Galt>
    Endgame progression guild on PvE Hyjal-US
    http://whoisjohngalt.enjin.com/
    http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...o+Is+John+Galt
    Visit us today - Exceptional players always considered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Teeth View Post
    The damage of Abomination Limb seems to on par with the other abilities, but my personal concern is its practical use in Raids and M+. It would seem constantly pulling mobs within 20 yards could be extremely inconvenient in a plethora of situations when doing even semi-difficult content.

I LOVE the Maldraxxus theme! I also know a lot of people are saying you should just pick the Covenant that most appeals to you thematically. I'm just worried that if I go Maldraxxus I'm going to have a handicap in damage from not being able to use it very often. Even worse, I may have a completely dead ability during important encounters in PvE content that will simply make my character weaker than others or potentially unviable altogether.

What do you guys think?
    Simple solution to it would be to add that the pull should only affect your current target, so if your current target isn't out of range then it pulls nothing

- - - Updated - - -

Fun is nice until you start getting declined over raids and m+ groups because your choice is garbage. unless you play alone doing solo content or with a bunch of shitter friends that cant accomplish anything meaninfull in the game then it doesnt matter what they do to the game, it wont affect you in any way.
    see people keep saying this, if you pick the wrong covenant you people will kick you from the group, thats only if you pug. if you guild will kick you from the group just because you picked the covenant you like then your in the wrong guild. people dont give a damn about what you pick as long as you dont die while tanking, you can not let people die while healing, or pull good numbers while dps. no one looks at your azerite traits now and go, "omg you only have one of this trait which is your class/spec BiS trait /kick" all most people care about is you do your job right.

The real problem is them adding a special buff for each covenants in the dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Radazar View Post
    see people keep saying this, if you pick the wrong covenant you people will kick you from the group, thats only if you pug. if you guild will kick you from the group just because you picked the covenant you like then your in the wrong guild. people dont give a damn about what you pick as long as you dont die while tanking, you can not let people die while healing, or pull good numbers while dps. no one looks at your azerite traits now and go, "omg you only have one of this trait which is your class/spec BiS trait /kick" all most people care about is you do your job right.

The real problem is them adding a special buff for each covenants in the dungeons
    If your guild accepts you for chossing poorly, your guild is not making it very far on the raid tier.
    Heres how it works on a real guild, you pick the shitty convenant, then you get a trial same class and spec as you doing 10k more dps because he choose the right covenant. You get benched. This gets even worse if youre melee and melees have very limited spots on raids.
    Last edited by Kendros; 2020-09-17 at 01:37 AM.

If your guild accepts you for chossing poorly, your guild is not making it very far on the raid tier.
    Heres how it works on a real guild, you pick the shitty convenant, then you get a trial same class and spec as you doing 10k more dps because he choose the right covenant. You get benched. This gets even worse if youre melee and melees have very limited spots on raids.
    i played survival on my hunter up till the last raid before i had to stop playing WoW for a few months because of work related problems and never once was i "benched" because its about the player not the spec/set up. you have to look at more than just the covenant abilities, people are not taking in account soul binds and conduits
    the vampires might not be the best for most people but their soulbinds make up for it in most cases.

just because you in an guild with assholes that only care about dps dosnt mean everyone is, alot of people are in guilds with friends that are still able to drop bosses in raids