Poll: Rate the movie: Mulan [2020]

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Mulan [2020]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The movie was okay, but I went in knowing it wouldn't be like the cartoon I loved. Honestly, the worst parts were when it tried to emulate the cartoon. If you took it as a separate story, it wasn't bad. It also wasn't great, mind you. It had a ton of missed potential. There were several interesting characters that got breezed over and in some cases discarded. Sadly, Mulan wasn't one of those.

2 of 4. Watchable as long as you think of it as a different movie, but sadly nothing I'd recommend if you have access to the many better movies and shows out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Odd. Comments by those who have seen the movie are all positive. But there is a huge backlash against the lead for her political views.
    Some reason I never got why people in the west were expecting a Chinese citizen with family in china, talking to a PRC ran magazine to say anything other than Pro china stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I was so looking foward to a mature version of mulan, instead we got this garbage. It even ignore and destroy the actual message of the tale of mulan. Which is that women arent to be dissmissed and can do what they have to do to protect their family just as much as men. She was just an average soldier at best, but she was smart, she used her brain to save the day. Its relatable, most of us arent elite fucking jedi soldier, but mabye we can use our head to do something right. In the new movie, shes just a jedi, an emotionless jedi for most of it too. The only reason she can join men and be awesome is that shes a jedi that can kick objects so strong it kills people. Girls if you are an overpowered super hero with perfect ki, men will accept you to do anything! They even got the casting right, how did this garbage even happen. Bunch of scenes dont even make sense. Like people change their minds in the laps of a 30 second scene for no apparent reason, other then it was in the original. Okay but in the original, there was a reason they changed their mind or they literally didnt.

The biggest example is the dad, the first part of the film, the dad is encouraging her all her childhood to be a fighter, train and be a small jedi. Now shes an adult, dad wants her to be a concubine, you cant be a jedi doing martial art, you are a women! THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MAKE HER DO THESE THING HER ENTIRE CHILDHOOD, HELLO DAD? YOUR HEAD, DID YOU DROP ON IT IN THE TIME SKIP? Movie: in this world women dont have KI, THEN WHY THE FUCK DID THEY TRAIN THIS SMALL GIRL TO FIGHT WITH HER KI??? HELLO MEN??? Is the theory that they lose Ki at puberty, dunno, its not like the movie ever explains anything. So why add the ki part, to literally add another reason why women would be oppressed, because you know 5th century china, clearly was not hard enough on women to get the original myth point accross. BUT SHE HAD TO LOOK LIKE A BAD ASS FROM THE START, SO WE HAD TO MAKE HER A MARTIAL ART MASTER CHILDREN INITIALLY, BUT WE HAD TO SHOW WOMEN HAD IT BAD TOO!
    The dad treated his little girl (at 8ish?) as if she could do no wrong, but as she came of age, he bent to the will of his wife and society and pushed his daughter to fulfill her societal duty. This seems totally feasible to me. Also, the movie (stated at least twice in the film) says that women have ki, but they are told they are witches if they use it and thus they shouldn't.

That said, I agree that the cartoon message was far stronger and the movie itself many times better.
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2020-09-08 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I get that. However, I don't think it fair to judge and dismiss the work of thousands of people who made this movie based on the political position of one mediocre actress (albeit, the "star").
    You have a point. Maybe I'll give it a watch later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Now to wait and see how they'll botch The Hunchback of Notre Dame... I bet "Hellfire" won't be there, Frollo will be purely but not too apparently driven by racism/overly inflated sense for law and order and Quasimodo will be ugly in a hot way. Like Steve Buscemi.
    I wish they'd stop the live action remakes in general. I hadn't heard they're doing it to Hunchback also. As a side note, I find your Steve Buscemi comment... disturbing. :-P

No Mushu, no mula! I'm watching it when it becomes available on the standard Disney+ subscription. From what I've seen, the quality of the film doesn't warrant the extra price tag anyway. I don't think I'd pay that much even for Black Widow. Definitely something like Dr. Strange 2 though.

I wish they'd stop the live action remakes in general. I hadn't heard they're doing it to Hunchback also. As a side note, I find your Steve Buscemi comment... disturbing. :-P
    LOL, well he is "ugly" in a hot way, especially in The Sopranos. Not mainstream pretty, but something about his voice and manners makes him attractive, at least to me.

I truly hope that they'll lean into Quasimodo's disfigurement and not attempt to sugarcoat it, if that makes sense? :3

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Some reason I never got why people in the west were expecting a Chinese citizen with family in china, talking to a PRC ran magazine to say anything other than Pro china stuff.
    Supporting free speech, democracy, and human rights is "pro-China" though. I think you're confusing what is good for the CCP with what's good for China in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Pretty much a downgrade from the animated movie in every way. The irony is that the only somewhat interesting character was the witch. Mulan is a ki jedi for some fucking reason.
    wait what? Metaphorically or are they going all in on crossing over their universes now?

Heh, Maybelline.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I don't think many have issue with that the actress was saying and doing, as she's likely in the scenario that a.) she believes every word of what she says, or b.) she "believes" every word of what she said (CCP, please don't come after me and my family). Most people have never been a scenario where their life and/or livelihood and family could be threatened, so they can't really relate to how one deals with that. There's a chance that there's 4D chess going on here, where the actress is inflaming the scenario by opening supporting the State to raise more awareness... but as a rule I don't usually believe 4D chess is behind what goes on with these scenarios.

That being said, ire towards the company that created the film is perfectly reasonable in light of all this. Either Disney is hiring people that support the CCP and their goals/messaging, or they put someone in a difficult situation. No matter what the actual scenario is, Disney does not look good in a time when their track record isn't the best as of late.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Am boycotting the movie altogether, based on the lead actress' political statements (she supports China in the Hong Kong debacle) as well as due to the changes made. It says a lot that they managed to alienate both western AND eastern audiences. I usually give these "live" action remakes a chance, but not this time.

Now to wait and see how they'll botch The Hunchback of Notre Dame... I bet "Hellfire" won't be there, Frollo will be purely but not too apparently driven by racism/overly inflated sense for law and order and Quasimodo will be ugly in a hot way. Like Steve Buscemi.
    Don't know why this made me laugh so hard but it did, but not in a mean way. Steve Buscemi is a fan favorite of mine, but he does have that sort of dopey but not dumb expression Quasimodo has. He's not ugly to me, but definitely funny looking if that makes sense, and I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    wait what? Metaphorically or are they going all in on crossing over their universes now?
    "ki jedi" is term meant to diminish the film and Disney by tapping into people's absurd levels of anger over the Disney SW franchise. It is not an apt description of what's going on in Mulan. The treatment of ki is pretty classic. The magical aspects are far closer to Wudang from Crouching Tiger. Basically, she has super agility, balance, endurance, and to some extent strength - hopping from point to point, running up walls, etc. It looks like a very stereotypical magical martial arts film and nothing like Star Wars.

"ki jedi" is term meant to diminish the film and Disney by tapping into people's absurd levels of anger over the Disney SW franchise. It is not an apt description of what's going on in Mulan. The treatment of ki is pretty classic. The magical aspects are far closer to Wudang from Crouching Tiger. Basically, she has super agility, balance, endurance, and to some extent strength - hopping from point to point, running up walls, etc. It looks like a very stereotypical magical martial arts film and nothing like Star Wars.
    Oh, that makes sense, and sounds even worse than I imagined actually as even the animated movie wasn't that over the top with its action scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    That being said, ire towards the company that created the film is perfectly reasonable in light of all this. Either Disney is hiring people that support the CCP and their goals/messaging, or they put someone in a difficult situation. No matter what the actual scenario is, Disney does not look good in a time when their track record isn't the best as of late.
    Or they hired a Chinese-born actress to play a part and didn't have political discussions with her ahead of time - as if they were hiring her to be an actor and not a political consultant. There are a ton of people who like Trump here in the US. There are plenty of people from China who live in the US who back the mainland in most things. I personally know people in both categories, and while I find their positions confusing and sometimes frustrating, it doesn't mean they are coming from a bad place and don't deserve to work and have a livelihood. Or worse, that anyone who works alongside them should be punished because you dislike their politics. Not to get too Gen-OT here, but either we have to learn to live people we disagree with or... what... we refuse to let them or anyone who might accidentally work on the same project earn a living and feed themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that makes sense, and sounds even worse than I imagined actually as even the animated movie wasn't that over the top with its action scenes.
    I definitely prefer the cartoon version (which I actually thought was really good). I've seen enough mystical martial arts films and anime to be comfortable with the way this was presented, even if it's not my preferred genre. It's also poorly done wire-fu, which doesn't help. They try and make up for it by spinning the camera to weird angles, which makes things worse imo.

The Disney greed came back to bite them in the arse. The movie is a 2 really, not that spectacular or anything, whats sad is that none of the magic from the first film was there.

LOL, well he is "ugly" in a hot way, especially in The Sopranos. Not mainstream pretty, but something about his voice and manners makes him attractive, at least to me.

I truly hope that they'll lean into Quasimodo's disfigurement and not attempt to sugarcoat it, if that makes sense? :3
    Billy Bob Thornton was the original sexy-ugly, I think. At least that's where I first heard the term

Yes, I totally agree with the disfigurement comment. It really takes away from the characterization in the film when the "ugly" ones aren't actually portrayed that way. Okay, the Beast is mean to Belle, but when he's not being mean, he's basically a cute kitty. It's like all those actresses in TV shows that get made fun of for being fat or ugly when they're obviously not. Anyway, yes, the hunchback needs to be really disfigured for the film premise and point to work optimally, imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Was shit. They made Mulan into a Mary Sue, rather than the quirky, smart, clumsy character we all knew and loved from the animated movie. Storyline and acting was equally horrible, and I don’t even want to discuss their version of Mushu... ugh.
    <sigh> She was NOT a Mary Sue. She had powers like many of the best male warriors had (q.v. all the bad guys running up the walls at the beginning of the film), but she was told to push it all down because that's not how girls were supposed to act - which she does. It's why she sucks at the beginning of training. The arc isn't going from crappy soldier to great one via physical labor, it's through emotional growth. As the witch tells her, Mulan will always be weak as long as she hides her true self. She gains power by accepting who she is regardless of the boundaries set up by her society or the consequences of being herself.

That said, I agree (though not quite to the extreme) with the rest of what you said. The acting was poor, the story was thin, and phoenix vs Mushu? No contest.

I definitely prefer the cartoon version (which I actually thought was really good). I've seen enough mystical martial arts films and anime to be comfortable with the way this was presented, even if it's not my preferred genre. It's also poorly done wire-fu, which doesn't help. They try and make up for it by spinning the camera to weird angles, which makes things worse imo.
    Yikes, yeah, I loved how grounded and well done the action was in the animated movie, even with a talking mini dragon (which was endearing and funny.) I don't even want to watch it when it's like on standard subscription price. I find wire kung fu very corny, it's seldom done right. The only other movie I recall watching it that did it quasi-well was Huntresses.

tfw you make a really shit film and are complicit in crimes against humanity.

That's the part I don't get (well one of them). They removed Mushu and the ghost ancestors to be more realistic and serious, 'kay, wouldn't be my choice given that this is a Disney film and not a documentary but fine. Yet on the flipside they introduce all this magical kung fu fighting bullshit that looks about as realistic as an overchoreographed prequel lightsaber duel, so in end the result is a world that is both more boring and less believable than the original. One look at the trailer told me I wouldn't like this, and everyone I know who did regretted it alongside the rather demanding price tag.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.