Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The Nintendo PlayStation.

As we all know, Nintendo and Sony were working on a SNES add-on, but Nintendo made a deal with Phillips, and that led to the PlayStation.

I hear about how Nintendo betrayed Sony, but why is Nintendo in the wrong? Sony was going to get the rights to Nintendo's characters. It's not like Sony was completely innocent.
    Last edited by CastletonSnob; 2020-09-08 at 10:35 PM.

Who cares if Nintendo was wrong or not? It was Nintendo's loss anyways as the split created their biggest competitor. Nintendo would of had a near monopoly on the console industry for who knows how long if PS never came to be since Sega was too incompetent with their business decisions to compete post genesis.

Its business, you can screw over whoever you want if you dont care about that business relationship. Nintendo announced that they were dropping Sony to work with one of their competitors literally the day after Sony made a grand announcement of their project.Thats kind of a dick move, which as mentioned turned out to be great for gaming since that lead to the Playstation as its own console.

Ironically the story is kinda similar for how the Xbox came to be. Microsoft were pissed that Sony werent interested in working with them so they went and made their own console to compete.

When was Sony going to get the rights to Nintendo characters? Sony was going to get all the profit from CD based sales for the system.

Still, the nintendo v sony feud is one of the great revenge stories ever told, and it also worked out pretty sweet for both Sony and Nintendo, seeing as without PS1, video games would have probably not gone mainstream as quickly as they did. Massively increased market share has benefited all companies involved. Even if the Sony Nintendo deal stayed in place, it would be hard to tell if that same culture revolution would come to pass. Playstation was for teens and adults, if Nintendo was still involved, they likely would have stifled that paradigm shift.

People's problem with Nintendo was that Yamauchi ignored what the best devs were telling him ("we need more space for our games! You need to go with a disc drive not a cartridge setup!") and as a result, Square and all other major 3rd party devs jumped ship to Playstation when Sony approached them, learned about their problem with Nintendo, and decided to change the Playstation to have a disc drive. Typically "Nintendo knows best" attitude.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    I hear about how Nintendo betrayed Sony, but why is Nintendo in the wrong? Sony was going to get the rights to Nintendo's characters. It's not like Sony was completely innocent.
    Thankfully, Nintendo gave the rights to Phillips and no awful meme worthy games were produced.

This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol that's such a gigantic L. Playstation has 3 consoles with over 100 million sold and Nintendo got that ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    lol that's such a gigantic L. Playstation has 3 consoles with over 100 million sold and Nintendo got that ^^
    History is full of business hindsights, like when Blockbuster passed up on netflix.

Hell the only playstation system to ever sell under 80 mil even was the Vita. Nintendo had the n64, gamecube and Wii U all over same time period and they wish they sniffed 80 mil. Vita has been the only real flop for the brand in it's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Sony was going to get the rights to Nintendo's characters. It's not like Sony was completely innocent.
    What about that sentence doesn't make sony innocent?

Seems like Nintendo is still going strong, especially with the Switch selling extremely well.
    It's definitely gonna break 100m sales.

That led to a better market for games , besides selling mostly family friendly games nintendo prices are horrible as they never go down significantly , how can they still sell Skyrim with no mod support at 60€ is a mystery to me. You can buy all other versions for waay less.

Also materials and hardware of nintendo consoles are mediocre at best , Sony has/had better products both in the handheld and home market
    Last edited by valax; 2020-09-08 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    how can they still sell Skyrim with no mod support at 60€ is a mystery to me. You can buy all other versions for waay less.
    Pretty sure it's bethesda setting that price, not nintendo.

Nintendo - 760 Million Consoles sold

DS
    155 Units and 950 Games

GB + C
    120 Units and 500 Games

Wii
    100 Units and 920 Games

GBA
    80 Units 375 Games

3 DS
    75 Units and 385 Games

Switch
    60 Units and 405 Games

NES
    60 Units and 500 Games

SNES
    50 Units and 380 Games

N64
    30 Units and 225 Games

GC
    20 Units and 210 Games

Wii U
    10 Units and 100 Games

Sony - 540 Million Consoles sold (can't find sources on how many games have been sold, at least not after looking for 5 minutes^^)

PS 2

PS 4

PS

PS 3

PSP

PSV

Also materials and hardware of nintendo consoles are mediocre at best , Sony has/had better products both in the handheld and home market
    Sony. better handheld. seems legit
    Last edited by GreatNameForSmurfingExTee; 2020-09-08 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add

That led to a better market for games , besides selling mostly family friendly games nintendo prices are horrible as they never go down significantly , how can they still sell Skyrim with no mod support at 60€ is a mystery to me. You can buy all other versions for waay less.

Nintendo has “weaker” hardware only by choice. They could make a powerhouse console if they wanted to as the N64 and GC were pretty powerful systems for their time. The GC in fact had higher graphical capabilities than the PS2.

Nintendo just figured that they aren’t going to win with power alone, so they carved out a new market. It’s why the Wii and Switch have sold so well, and how the DS was able to do better than the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Nintendo has “weaker” hardware only by choice. They could make a powerhouse console if they wanted to as the N64 and GC were pretty powerful systems for their time. The GC in fact had higher graphical capabilities than the PS2.

Nintendo just figured that they aren’t going to win with power alone, so they carved out a new market. It’s why the Wii and Switch have sold so well, and how the DS was able to do better than the PSP.
    I find most handhelds awkward to play on but damn the psp was REALLY awkward

Quote Originally Posted by GreatNameForSmurfingExTee View Post
    snip
    SNES, NES and GB all released before Sony even entered the market, but nice try I guess /shrug. As it stands what a terrible comparison.

Since Sony has entered the market:

Nintendo 8 systems: 530 mil

Sony 6 systems: 540 mil

So Nintendo had to release 2 more systems to sell 10 million less units... That is painting quite a different picture.

And I'm using your own numbers btw so if the above is incorrect that's on you.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-08 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    SNES, NES and GB all released before Sony even entered the market, but nice try I guess /shrug. As it stands what a terrible comparison.

Since Sony has entered the market:

Nintendo 8 systems: 530 mil

Sony 6 systems: 540 mil

So Nintendo had to release 2 more systems to sell 10 million less units... That is painting quite a different picture.

And I'm using your own numbers btw so if the above is incorrect that's on you.
    So what? I just posted raw numbers. Nothing more.

So what? I just posted raw numbers. Nothing more.
    The raw numbers show Sony has consistently out performed Nintendo since entering the market, as I just showed.

Nintendo - 760 Million Consoles sold

DS
    155 Units and 950 Games

GB + C
    120 Units and 500 Games

Wii
    100 Units and 920 Games

GBA
    80 Units 375 Games

3 DS
    75 Units and 385 Games

Switch
    60 Units and 405 Games

NES
    60 Units and 500 Games

SNES
    50 Units and 380 Games

N64
    30 Units and 225 Games

GC
    20 Units and 210 Games

Wii U
    10 Units and 100 Games

Sony - 540 Million Consoles sold (can't find sources on how many games have been sold, at least not after looking for 5 minutes^^)

PS 2

PS 4

PS

PS 3

PSP

PSV

Sony. better handheld. seems legit
    Bruh I got my parents to buy me a nintendo DS(1st gen) instead of a PSP , never could have made a worse decision in my life. Got myself a PSP not long after because DS was blocky as shit.

Oh wait , I did make a worse decision it was getting a Wii to play Twilight princess instead of getting a PS3 , which I also bought 1 year later .

Units sold does not necessarily mean better console , I still remember the selling point in getting those consoles was them being the cheaper option compared to PSP/PS3. In the long haul I definitely played more the PS consoles.