Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It would be like your boss deciding to change your name to something they prefer... Would you be okay with that?
    We actually did that. We already had two Paul's on the 5-6 man helpdesk team, so we called third Paul "Robert" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    We actually did that. We already had two Paul's on the 5-6 man helpdesk team, so we called third Paul "Robert" instead.
    That's so odd, did he have a weird last name or something? There were a bunch of Mikes and Chris's in my friend group and everyone was just called by their last name instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hero2Zer0 View Post
    We dont own our summons we command them. We summon different demons when previous ones are either dismissed or killed. Notice we dont ha e a revive demon button.
    We actually enslave them, though some are more receptive to that than others. Regardless enslaved beings don't get a lot of say in what happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I don't know if such a thing exists in WoW but in a lot of stories Demons have a "True Name" that can never be changed but whoever knows it can have total control over the Demon.
    Don't recall tbh, but generally speaking you don't walk around announcing the demons true name in those cases. You call it something else, since you wouldn't want others to have power over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1. there is a reason, our demons have an actual name, they are actual people, so they have their name, and knowing them is how we summon them
    They're enslaved though, so what their actual name is doesn't really matter if the slaver decides they wanna call em something else. They are being held in some cases against their will.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    We actually enslave them, though some are more receptive to that than others. Regardless enslaved beings don't get a lot of say in what happens to them.
    Depends on the details of the lore. It's easy to imagine that they literally only respond to the name used in the summoning/enslavement ritual.

both willing and unwilling demons under your control have enough reasons to want you dead/themselves dead/your friends dead to either only respond to the force of the magic binding them or to have to be bound so tight that they have no free will at all anymore.

and then ofc thers the 3rd category of demon, where you aren't in control at all and just along for the ride.

No i like my demons name to be whatever its name was in hell so i can sacrifice it. its nothing personal but it is.
    My imp was watching an arena match without me so i sacrificed him for that !

my imp just told me: "did u see that arena match last night, hmm hmm".

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    I have several memories of the demon names leading to injokes and stuff, so works for me.

and the amount of times you see an original hunter pet name aint exactly noteworthy either.
    I leave my hunter's pets name as whatever they come default lol

3+ Year Old Account
    Can someone close this topic? Like I said earlier, I realize I did not think this through.

The succubus I can see having a pet name the rest are just trash to be discarded when they fail me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mages were able to name their wellies for a short period of time.. that was fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    Mages were able to name their wellies for a short period of time.. that was fun.
    what are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I mean, I get that they have names already, but is a Warlock not ripping them into our world to do his or her bidding? It doesn't seem like he'd be all that concerned about making sure that they feel good about what he calls them.

Voidwalker - "RRRraaargh, mortal, why have you summoned mighty Xuthkolag from the Void?"

Warlock - "Shut up. Your name is Susan now."

Voidwalker - "Wha... Why? I literally just told you my name."

Warlock - "Fuck you, that's why. Now go ineffectively slap that kobold with your wussy arms while big daddy here brings the pain."

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I mean, I get that they have names already, but is a Warlock not ripping them into our world to do his or her bidding? It doesn't seem like he'd be all that concerned about making sure that they feel good about what he calls them.

Voidwalker - "RRRraaargh, mortal, why have you summoned mighty Xuthkolag from the Void?"

Warlock - "Shut up. Your name is Susan now."

Voidwalker - "Wha... Why? I literally just told you my name."

Warlock - "Fuck you, that's why. Now go ineffectively slap that kobold with your wussy arms while big daddy here brings the pain."
    you can already do that. He will insist hes Xuthkolag and you will insist hes susan, ultimately he is stuck doing what you tell him, just macro '/yell susan! tank that trash over there or you get no puddin!' to petmove and your good.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't own demon you summon. It's more like contract and demons are "humanoids" they are not beasts. They have their own lives in the nether and get called to work by you. They are not slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    Edit: Did not think this post through, I'm sorry.

Why? Well, this GIF should explain (Hades is Warlock, Meg is Demons)
    You can't name them because using their name is part of controlling them. They aren't a pet, they're magically bound to serve till they die and return to the nether

They are sentient beings who already have names.

You get ready to raid.
    You summon your Felguard.
    He was about to sit down with his family to have dinner but instead phases out of existence to come to your world/dimension.
    You enslave him, force him to fight then set him free to go back to his family. He flips you the finger as he goes and spits on your shoe.

He has consciousness. He has a name. He has a family.
    He is being forced against his will to do your bidding. He doesnt like it.
    You can call him anything you want but he knows his own name.
    They probably have their own name for you, and it isnt nice.

- I can call Steve at work Carol as many times as I want, he might even respond to it eventually. But no matter how many times I call him that, his name is still Steve.

A hunter on the other hand.
    Pets something enough times it decides to follow him.
    Comes when called. Gladly follows commands. Lives to serve its master.
    Its a pet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post
    You don't own demon you summon. It's more like contract and demons are "humanoids" they are not beasts. They have their own lives in the nether and get called to work by you. They are not slaves.
    Which is weird since the standard hunter lore is not you owning your pet or them being your slave. But you taming and befriending them and working with them in harmony. However Warlocks summon a demon at will to do their bidding and dispose of it when done. They can feed off it. Sacrifice it. Implode it. Etc. Renaming could also happen under any "contract".

It always has been a poor and silly lore reason for Warlocks not being able to do stuff that hunters can. Now I like the naming scheme Warlocks have rather than a true custom name like hunter pets. I always hate coming up with hunter pet names but like stuff beyond cat or bear.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't it at the start of Cata that there was a bug(TM) that caused all locks to get different demon names each time you summoned one... Maybe Pandaria... Was a little after the scroll of change hunter pet name came out.

Anyways... there was an absolute meltdown by locks - full on nuclear. The forums crashed iirc there was so much backlash. I know I posted my one and only comment on the official forums that day bitching about it too. I'll try to find it. But pretty sure the forum comments from that time were purged long ago.

They ended up pushing a hotfix to fix the bug(TM) later the same patch day.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    A hunter on the other hand.
    Pets something enough times it decides to follow him.
    Comes when called. Gladly follows commands. Lives to serve its master.
    Its a pet.
    A lot of hunter tames already have names. But they can be renamed. You even said that a warlock can use whatever name they want. So let the warlock display the name they choose to use for the demon rather then the name it chooses for itself. Just like with hunters that renaming anyone of the rarer pets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Wasn't it at the start of Cata that there was a bug(TM) that caused all locks to get different demon names each time you summoned one... Maybe Pandaria... Was a little after the scroll of change hunter pet name came out.
    Yes, it was with Cataclysm. Patch 4.0.1 broke Warlock pets but the name change was reverted with the next maintenance cycle.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    A lot of hunter tames already have names. But they can be renamed. You even said that a warlock can use whatever name they want. So let the warlock display the name they choose to use for the demon rather then the name it chooses for itself. Just like with hunters that renaming anyone of the rarer pets.

- - - Updated - - -
    Makes just as much sense as being able to set custom names for the players in my party.
    The demons (and the players) already have their own names.

the random wolf you tame as a hunter doesnt. Or if he does, he's not in a position to tell you what it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    Makes just as much sense as being able to set custom names for the players in my party. The demons (and the players) already have their own names. the random wolf you tame as a hunter doesnt. Or if he does, he's not in a position to tell you what it is.
    Lore wise you can call anyone in your party any name you want. Doesn't mean they have to like it or accept it. Same thing with demons. Just because you know their name doesn't mean you have to call them that while in your service. And hunters can communicate with their pets through special bonds. So they would be able to sense a name or even know the name of the creature. They do have the beast lore ability as well.

Like with Hati a legendary beast. That you can rename because who cares about respecting the animal right? It is just your tool to use and abuse. Weird how Warlocks are shown to treat their pet with more respect then the hunter who actually has to form a bond with it.