Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fandral Staghelm in Shadowlands

We have heard about some characters from wow history being brought back with shadowlands, we have kael thas, garrosh, even less proeminent characters like Draka, but where's Fandral?

Do you think that he was considered an elemental and since he died on the plane of fire he was deleted? Or maybe he was sent to the maw? Or perhaps he might be in ravendreth?

What makes Fandral important enough to warrant mention over the other hundreds of dead characters that could be brought up? Not being snarky, just curious why you brought him up specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephys View Post
    We have heard about some characters from wow history being brought back with shadowlands, we have kael thas, garrosh, even less proeminent characters like Draka, but where's Fandral?

Do you think that he was considered an elemental and since he died on the plane of fire he was deleted? Or maybe he was sent to the maw? Or perhaps he might be in ravendreth?

He will unite with Garrosh Hellscream and Othmar Garithos while in the Shadowlands and all 3 of them will form the "Trinity of Unholy Racism" and be the mid-expansion antagonists. Their army of undead humans, orcs, and night elves will hunt down and exterminate all non-human, non-orc, and non-night elf souls and make the Shadowlands great again!

Slightly off-topic, I do wish we saw Fandral somehow come together with Garrosh and Garithos and they somehow bond in their hatred towards all other races that is not their own race, which would lead to us having to come together again and end "faction conflicts" once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    What makes Fandral important enough to warrant mention over the other hundreds of dead characters that could be brought up? Not being snarky, just curious why you brought him up specifically.
    The reason i brought him up was because he was the first character that i remembered and wasnt mentioned anywhere, what other characters do you think we should find? Apart from the ones mentioned already

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    He will unite with Garrosh Hellscream and Othmar Garithos while in the Shadowlands and all 3 of them will form the "Trinity of Unholy Racism" and be the mid-expansion antagonists. Their army of undead humans, orcs, and night elves will hunt down and exterminate all non-human, non-orc, and non-night elf souls and make the Shadowlands great again!

Slightly off-topic, I do wish we saw Fandral somehow come together with Garrosh and Garithos and they somehow bond in their hatred towards all other races that is not their own race, which would lead to us having to come together again and end "faction conflicts" once and for all.
    If they ever found each other i would say they would kill themselves, remember, they hate each other just because of the race

10+ Year Old Account
    If they ever found each other i would say they would kill themselves, remember, they hate each other just because of the race

This is likely. Oh well.

If we find him he would be in revendreth, atoning for his sins. Who knows maybe they will implement a world quest, for you to haul him back into a torture cage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Fandral's an interesting case - I'm also unsure how exactly he'd be handled given his transformation by Ragnaros into seeming another order of being. If he did become a true Elemental or Ascendant-like being then he may be dead as he died in the Plane of Fire and would have nowhere else to go spiritually speaking. If he was still essentially mortal then he could be found in Revendreth, serving durance for his crimes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason i brought him up was because he was the first character that i remembered and wasnt mentioned anywhere, what other characters do you think we should find? Apart from the ones mentioned already
    Mankrik's wife, only to learn her name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnosh View Post
    Mankrik's wife, only to learn her name.
    Her name is Olgra, you can learn it in WoD (and in the Cata revamp as well, I believe).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I wonder if by becoming a servant of Ragnaros he forgoed his afterlife from the shadowlands and to the elemental plane of fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    He made us collect Morrowgrain, lots and lots of Morrowgrain.... I will never forget :P

He actually had a bit more lore that ties into Xavius, the nightmare and Nzoth. because many people never read the Stormrage book a chunk of his lore was lost to them.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fandral_St...rion_Stormrage

At some point in the months following the Lich King's defeat, Fandral gathered many druids to Teldrassil, unfolding a master plan to heal the giant tree. Naralex, Broll Bearmantle and Hamuul Runetotem were among those he called. He intended to use the Idol of Remulos to achieve this, against Bearmantle's better judgment. Before the ritual could be completed, however, Tyrande arrived, having been warned by Elune that Malfurion's life was in greater danger than before. It was discovered that rather than purifying the tree, Fandral was, in fact, responsible for its being corrupted in the first place. He was the one responsible for grafting a branch of the Nightmare Lord onto Teldrassil and he was the one who led the Cenarion Circle in feeding their powers to the World Tree, thus feeding its corruption. Fandral however, was no longer in control of his own actions. Rather, he was an unwitting pawn and puppet[23] of the father of all satyrs, Xavius, who had been transformed into a tree by Malfurion during the War of the Ancients.

Xavius, in his guise as the Nightmare Lord, servant of the entities behind the Emerald Nightmare's encroachment on the dream, had appeared to Fandral in the form of his son Valstann. Fandral had never been able to reconcile his failure to save his son, and the visitations played on his guilt and rage, eventually driving him to a kind of madness that blinded him to the truth. He chose to believe that Valstann had returned and that all of his actions at "Valstann's" urging were for the greater good. Using [Morrowgrain] to keep Malfurion trapped in the dream, grafting a branch of Xavius' nightmare form onto the young Teldrassil, anything and everything Fandral did he did believing it would fully restore his son to life.

Though Naralex, Shandris Feathermoon, and Hamuul Runetotem had discovered Fandral´s betrayal, Fandral silenced the three and had them imprisoned in the Cenarion Enclave. Only after Malfurion returned to free them was the truth finally revealed.

During the War Against the Nightmare Fandral's delusion ended up being forcibly shattered, as the image of Valstann was destroyed and he fell into a state of near-catatonia. Malfurion managed to defeat Xavius, but Fandral was left a broken husk, forced to endure the loss of his beloved son for a second time. After the Nightmare's defeat, the druids brought Staghelm to Illidan Stormrage's former prison in Mount Hyjal in the hope that he would recover, though many suspected that his mind was permanently broken.[24]

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    He actually had a bit more lore that ties into Xavius, the nightmare and Nzoth. because many people never read the Stormrage book a chunk of his lore was lost to them.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fandral_St...rion_Stormrage

At some point in the months following the Lich King's defeat, Fandral gathered many druids to Teldrassil, unfolding a master plan to heal the giant tree. Naralex, Broll Bearmantle and Hamuul Runetotem were among those he called. He intended to use the Idol of Remulos to achieve this, against Bearmantle's better judgment. Before the ritual could be completed, however, Tyrande arrived, having been warned by Elune that Malfurion's life was in greater danger than before. It was discovered that rather than purifying the tree, Fandral was, in fact, responsible for its being corrupted in the first place. He was the one responsible for grafting a branch of the Nightmare Lord onto Teldrassil and he was the one who led the Cenarion Circle in feeding their powers to the World Tree, thus feeding its corruption. Fandral however, was no longer in control of his own actions. Rather, he was an unwitting pawn and puppet[23] of the father of all satyrs, Xavius, who had been transformed into a tree by Malfurion during the War of the Ancients.

Xavius, in his guise as the Nightmare Lord, servant of the entities behind the Emerald Nightmare's encroachment on the dream, had appeared to Fandral in the form of his son Valstann. Fandral had never been able to reconcile his failure to save his son, and the visitations played on his guilt and rage, eventually driving him to a kind of madness that blinded him to the truth. He chose to believe that Valstann had returned and that all of his actions at "Valstann's" urging were for the greater good. Using [Morrowgrain] to keep Malfurion trapped in the dream, grafting a branch of Xavius' nightmare form onto the young Teldrassil, anything and everything Fandral did he did believing it would fully restore his son to life.

Though Naralex, Shandris Feathermoon, and Hamuul Runetotem had discovered Fandral´s betrayal, Fandral silenced the three and had them imprisoned in the Cenarion Enclave. Only after Malfurion returned to free them was the truth finally revealed.

During the War Against the Nightmare Fandral's delusion ended up being forcibly shattered, as the image of Valstann was destroyed and he fell into a state of near-catatonia. Malfurion managed to defeat Xavius, but Fandral was left a broken husk, forced to endure the loss of his beloved son for a second time. After the Nightmare's defeat, the druids brought Staghelm to Illidan Stormrage's former prison in Mount Hyjal in the hope that he would recover, though many suspected that his mind was permanently broken.[24]
    I did not know about that story, thanks for taking the time to explain it! I always thought he was evil, but I never knew why (I knew about his son and the War of the shifting sands, but not that he was used by Xavius to control him). He's quite an interesting character.

He was responsible for the existence of Teldrassil in the first place, a near civil war among the night elves, and the reason Malfurion wasn't around for classic thru Wrath when we could've used his help? Let's not forget the creation of the world trees (besides Nordrassil), which he was manipulated into doing by the Old Gods, led to the destruction of nearly all of them and everything the Emerald Dream has ever caused or destroyed. I'd say those last two alone, keeping a major lore character locked away for a huge amount of time, and creating an entire Old God evil universe, he deserves at least a "where is he now" segment.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post
    I wonder if by becoming a servant of Ragnaros he forgoed his afterlife from the shadowlands and to the elemental plane of fire.
    Judging by how chaotic The Shadowlands is right now, he got an upgrade!

I did not know about that story, thanks for taking the time to explain it! I always thought he was evil, but I never knew why (I knew about his son and the War of the shifting sands, but not that he was used by Xavius to control him). He's quite an interesting character.
    If you ever get a chance read the Stormrage book. During the time after wrath and before Cata something major in azeroth happens that really sets the story for all the events that transpired in legion and BFA regarding Xavius and Nzoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    If you ever get a chance read the Stormrage book. During the time after wrath and before Cata something major in azeroth happens that really sets the story for all the events that transpired in legion and BFA regarding Xavius and Nzoth.
    I will definitely take a look

It's definitely quite possible that is soul is bound to the Firelands. When we fought him he was aspected to Elemental Fire, making him like a pseudo-elemental. The same logic can be applied to mortals who are aspected to Fel become pseudo-demons and revive within the Twisting Nether. The Eredar, Illidan, and the Demon Hunter player character are examples of this.

He might be there, he might not. Might just as well be we just won't bump into him, as Shadowlands should be expected to be a vast place considering all mortal souls go there. Either way it's best if you don't hold the expansion accountable to a checklist of celebrity appearances.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I personally expect him to still be in the firelands. Despite us defeating Ragnaros there, we still get hints he is not permanently destroyed either. Might actually be a case of 'mortal belief/faith' able to affect beings on other planes. So in similar case if some of his followers are still around, he might not be gone forever.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.