Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Villeneuve isn't really the 'sacrifice story for action' kind of guy.
    Seriously, this is the guy who took a story about the power of language to shape our perception of reality itself and turned that into a massively successful film, and one which has essentially no real "action" to speak of, in that sense.

I don't think you could really have asked for a better director to tangle a monolith like Dune.

Not too keen on the seemingly complete lack of Islamic or Middle Eastern influence. And "crusade"? Really? Is "jihad" too controversial?

The trailer finally tipped me over the edge and made me buy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Seriously, this is the guy who took a story about the power of language to shape our perception of reality itself and turned that into a massively successful film, and one which has essentially no real "action" to speak of, in that sense.

I don't think you could really have asked for a better director to tangle a monolith like Dune.
    Yup. I'm in the weird position that I actually like Villeneuve's version of 'Arrival' more than the short story. The story is still great, but what Villeneuve did with it is nothing short of amazing work. I cannot think of any living director whom I'd want to direct a Dune movie, and he also wrote the script and produced it (every Director who writes his own movies has my immediate respect just for that, and yes, this includes Rian Johnson.)

I'm really looking forward to this. It's going to be my cinematic highlight of the year, easy. Well, not that many rivals out there, but still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Not too keen on the seemingly complete lack of Islamic or Middle Eastern influence. And "crusade"? Really? Is "jihad" too controversial?
    Well, there wasn't all that much of the stuff of islamic influence in the trailer. We don't hear the Fremen talk; most 'islamic' aspects are in their language and culture.

And I wouldn't say controversial, I'd say 'overused' and 'overexposed'. When 'Dune' was released, no-one in the west who wasn't familiar with the middle east knew the word 'jihad'. Today, it has become synonymous with religious terror. I prefer crusade. Fits a little better.

I watched the old movie when I was like 15 and it was decent, This looks great hope it turns out well.

And I wouldn't say controversial, I'd say 'overused' and 'overexposed'. When 'Dune' was released, no-one in the west who wasn't familiar with the middle east knew the word 'jihad'. Today, it has become synonymous with religious terror. I prefer crusade. Fits a little better.
    I suppose I'm being nitpicky, but to me it just erodes the authenticity of the world. Does "Butlerian Crusade" not sound corny to you? Not that it bears too much relevance, as it's just a footnote in the appendix of the original book, but you get what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm going purely off the trailer, and obviously there was hyperbole in my reaction. But the last few years have not been kind to mainstream SF. Hence my caution. I'm ready to be positively surprised, I just don't expect it any more. Maybe it's too cynical a view, but it is what it is.

You must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that leads to total obliteration. You will face your fear. You will permit it to pass over you and not through you. And when it has gone past you will turn your inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only you will remain

I suppose I'm being nitpicky, but to me it just erodes the authenticity of the world. Does "Butlerian Crusade" not sound corny to you? Not that it bears too much relevance, as it's just a footnote in the appendix of the original book, but you get what I'm saying.
    I don't think you're nitpicky, I get what you are saying. And it irked me, too. I think it might be a studio descision no to use it, in fear of misconception. Then there is this 'cultural apropriation' thing, and so on...

Then again, might be that they keep the word jihad for the Fremen to use...? I think this is a detail that's not worth getting upset about yet. The trailer looks good enough for me to keep me interested and hopeful that they did a decent job respecting the source material. Might be completely wrong. But I can see why they might not want to have the word jihad in the trailer.

Yes, Butlerian Crusade sounds weird. Then again, everything that has Butt in it sounds weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, with all that happened since the begining of the century, I believe that most people associate the word "jihad" with terrorism rather than "holy war". The word crusade has a more "positive" feel, somehow. And for all we know the Fremen will use the word "jihad". It may be a way to differenciate Paul's world with the Fremen. Also, one of the many problems Dune has is its complexity. And part of its complexity is its vocabulary. They probably don't want to have to print booklets to help the viewers understand what the story is all about, like they did in Lynche's movie. I expect we won't hear the words "faufreluches", "kanly" (I expect feud or vendetta), kralisec (expect Armageddon) or war of assassins. They may not want to explain what is a "Master of Assassins", which sounds nefarious for the good guys. They could use "Chief of Security" or "Master of Defense" instead for Thufir Hawat's function.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

aye noticed that dune is islam in space lol

Eh I'd go with "game of thrones in space" if you made king's landing full of important spices.
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-09-09 at 11:44 PM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

It looks like it has a great cast. It doesn't look much different than the David Lynch version. I loved the David Lynch extended version. I love pink Floyd dark side of the moon but I hope that is not in the movie. I hate it when they use songs like that in the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    aye noticed that dune is islam in space lol
    I'd say it's much more complex than that - the Fremen are, after all, not just descendants of Sunni, but of Zensunni. It's not JUST Islam; if anything, the Tleilaxu Masters would be closer to that (and that's quite a bit later in the entire saga). It's a rich mythology that draws on many sources, but I guess it's a different world now from the one when Herbert wrote his books. It's sad to see things sanitized, but I suppose you can't just have Fedaykin death commandos conducting a jihad and NOT run into sensitivity issues. And on some level it's understandable - this is more complicated than the usual "political correctness gone mad" stereotype, and there's a lot of arguments on all sides. Herbert was, ultimately, a writer not against religion but against religious zealotry; but drawing that distinction has become more and more difficult in the present day, and anyone criticizing religious ideas will very quickly be accused of criticizing religious people. That wasn't what Herbert was about, but it's a very likely perspective people could take.

A tightrope walk that no studio would willingly engage in, I'm sure. Though I do have a bit of a foul taste in my mouth seeing that they still went with religiously connoted terminology, just apparently one that they deem unproblematic - as if the Crusades were anything to brag about any more than a jihad.

An eerie version of Pink Floyd kinda threw me off, but otherwise I liked the trailer.

I guess David Gilmour's voice woulda been too distracting, but I don't like using covers of famous songs for a trailer.

So I just rewatched the trailer, and I'm a little worried that the lead actor is going to be talking through a clenched jaw the whole time... I know nothing about him as an actor, so here's hoping it's just because his few lines in the trailer are from the beginning of the story where he's presumably concerned about the test he's about to receive.

Other than that, if the movie can live up to the trailer (usually a tall order for stuff like this), it will be amazing.

I read the books ages ago, and remember very little of them, so it looks like it's about time for me to bust them out again. Or did up an audiobook.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-09-11 at 03:18 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Director n cast, tell who they are, shows trailer, then reaction afterwards

I noticed Denis didn't react much...I get the feeling he didn't have a hand in making the trailer..I doubt the music will be in the movie, kinda like those trailers for alien: covenant had "nature boy - aurora" & "I Feel You - Melanie De Biaso"
    The sound effects bothered me too, I doubt they are that loud, seems cranked up to shitty b-movie jump-scare level...you expect The Nun to jump out to snatch Paul...

Saw Jeremy Jahns reaction video, said the sand worm's mouth looked like an eye, good catch, that's like the eye in blade runner 2049
    To me it looked like watching out the cockpit of the millenium falcon when it uses the hyperdrive

Like it's a worm hole or something, well technically it is...and that reminded me of that worm that tried to nom the falcon in empire strikes back

The size of it, it's like a kaiju or a lovecraftian monster, they really nailed the design (apparently denis spent a whole year trying to get it right)

After I first saw the trailer, youtube gave me recommendations, such as Sumerian cities, that look like the huge ships that land on Dune, where we first see Jason Momoa, youtube is weird..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-09-11 at 04:25 PM.

tbf, the books Herbert's son wrote which are all about the Butlerian Jihad were actually called the Butlerian Jihad and the Machine Crusade so I think those two words are pretty interchangeable even in Dune.

seems like you never read any Dune book

jiihad in this book was exackly that.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    seems like you never read any Dune book

jiihad in this book was exackly that.
    I think he meant "terror" in the specific sense of terrorism, the Jihad in Dune is a mass cultural and religious uprising conquering all before it, more like the early jihads that expanded the Muslim Empire. "Crusade" probably fits the current understanding of those words better as the idea of religiously inspired conquering armies.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think he meant "terror" in the specific sense of terrorism, the Jihad in Dune is a mass cultural and religious uprising conquering all before it, more like the early jihads that expanded the Muslim Empire. "Crusade" probably fits the current understanding of those words better as the idea of religiously inspired conquering armies.
    Crusade came 5 centuries after jihad spread by the sword islam, after jihad had torpedoed the christian middle east, north africa, battle of tours in france, 1st n 2nd siege of Constantinople. Crusade came as a long over-due answer by a besieged religion that eventually fought back.

Dune religion, just came out of nowhere, kinda like islam did n decided for world conquest...Not trying to start a religious debate, but Paul doesn't come to the defense of the galaxy, instead he wants to conquer it against its will.
    Now, later crusades, maybe, that's a different thing.