Thread: PSU suggestion

PSU suggestion

Hi all,

my PSU died, it has been working since 2011
    I do not quite follow the new hardware and I'm not the same gamer that was before. However, I would like to choose something that could be used in the future upgrade, including games, it will probably be the hight-middle segment of graphic cards, something like the 60-70 series. would be very grateful if you could highlight specific brands, and suggest which power to choose. (also i want it to be modular ATX)

what can you say about these?
    - Thermaltake TR2 S 650W;
    - be quiet! System Power 9 500W;
    - Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze 620W;
    - Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 700W;
    - Corsair RMx White Series 750W (2018) Black CP-9020179-EU;

in my country, most likely not everything will be available for sale, so it would be nice if you could select something from this store - 1a.lv/c/datoru-komponentes-tikla-produkti/korpuss-un-dzesesana/barosanas-bloki-psu/2vy

most of those goods can be bought cheaper, they just have a good assortment and a great search, so there is no need to consider their prices when choosing

Many thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Rav106; 2020-09-10 at 12:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thermaltake is a reputable manufacturer. I'd go 650W, seems like some of the latest gen components are getting power hungry again.

Every one of the manufacturers are alright. I would go for a 650-750 W PSU and at least 80+ bronze. It seems like newer hardware only gets more power hungry and a good PSU will last for a long time. The RTX3070 will need 250W if am correct?

I personally have a Corsair CX600M and it lasts for about 7 years now. So I guess I can recommend Corsair then.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomislav View Post
    Thermaltake is a reputable manufacturer. I'd go 650W, seems like some of the latest gen components are getting power hungry again.
    Thermaltake is not a PSU manufacturer. They buy from OEMs, and most of those PSUs are shit.

- - - Updated - - -

That list is like 3 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.1a.lv/p/chieftec-psu-bdf...t=2vy&index=48 - this is a pretty good PSU, I'd say out the ones on that site this is the lowest you should look into. Bronze rated unlike everything else though.
    https://www.1a.lv/p/cooler-master-mw...ular-650w/7syq - this is an optimal choice consider the pricing on that site.
    https://www.1a.lv/p/corsair-tx-m-ser...9020132-eu/h5j - this is good if you can find it cheaper.

Other stuff to look out for:
    be quiet! Straight Power - good PSUs but overpriced use to fans. Pure Power and System Power are not worth looking into - different OEMs.
    Corsair RMx (2018), RM (2019) - good gold PSUs with good warranty but overpriced in general and especially in EU. Better platform than TXM, fan stop, etc.
    Seasonic Focus and Focus Plus - very good PSUs but they're pricey. If you can find them for the same price as Coolermaster go for it.
    SuperFlower Leadex III (non RGB) - good aswell but not worth the price imo.
    Phanteks AMP - Seasonic Focus Plus platform, worth it if you find it cheap.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Other stuff to look out for:
    I am very appreciate for all the advice, especially Thunderball, thank you very much sir for the work you did!

as I understand , 650w will be enough. so I stay on the following power supplies:
    - Cooler Master MWE Gold Full Modular 650W -----> 90€
    - Corsair TX-M Series 650W CP-9020132-EU -----> 85€

what does this prefix x mean?
    - Corsair RMx Series RM650x 650W, 80 PLUS Gold -----> 103€
    - Corsair RM Series RM650 650W, 140mm, 80 PLUS Gold, ATX -----> 88€ (pretty good price, is it worth it?)

Seasonic Focus I found GX and PX what are the differences?
    - Seasonic FOCUS-GX-650 650W 80Plus Gold -----> 90€ (very interesting price)
    - Seasonic FOCUS PX-650 650W 80Plus Platinum -----> 114€
    - Seasonic FOCUS-GX-750 750W 80Plus Gold -----> 102€

I had a Chieftec before, should i pay attention to - Chieftec PSU ATX 750W/GDP-750C -----> 65€ ??

what do you think are the best of these?
    Last edited by Rav106; 2020-09-10 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It literally says, at the top of the post, that it was updated *today*. And the post itself is only, at the most, 1 year old, considering it was posted in October 2019

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rav106 View Post
    I am very appreciate for all the advice, especially Thunderball, thank you very much sir for the work you did!

as I understand , 650w will be enough. so I stay on the following power supplies:

- Corsair RM Series RM650 650W, 140mm, 80 PLUS Gold, ATX -----> 88€ (pretty good price, is it worth it?)

I had a Chieftec before, should i pay attention to - Chieftec PSU ATX 750W/GDP-750C -----> 65€ ??

I'd personally go with the Seasonic Focus 650w gold

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    SeaSonic is my suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account

No it's not, it's constantly updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav106 View Post

- Seasonic FOCUS-GX-750 750W 80Plus Gold -----> 102€

Out of those, the Corsair RM or Seasonic Focus GX are the best options, both are good but personally I prefer Corsair.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always throw my hat in to Seasonic whenever possible. The nomenclature on those models simply refers to their power rating. Gold is the third best tier whereas Platinum is the second and that translates in to saving a fist full of dollars at the end of the year depending on your energy cost and uptime.

Pretty sure the RM series is discontinued and superseded by the RMx series which are strictly from CWT and has higher quality components.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post

Pretty sure the RM series is discontinued and superseded by the RMx series which are strictly from CWT and has higher quality components.
    The older Corsair RM series with a yellow label is discontinued, the current RM series with a grey label was first released in 2018. They're both manufactured by CWT.
    RMx is ever so slightly better but both series are really solid PSU's.

The old yellow label RM series (from 2013) was pretty bad though, the new version is significantly better.
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2020-09-11 at 11:07 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The older Corsair RM series with a yellow label is discontinued, the current RM series with a grey label was first released in 2018. They're both manufactured by CWT.

The old yellow label RM series (from 2013) was pretty bad though, the new version is significantly better.
    Good catch. I know they seem to often revise their product stacks every few years but spaced on the RM. Some of the older RMs used Chicony too depending on the wattage.

They're a lot better when it comes to unified platforms and naming now though. Their TX series is like a grab bag of CWT, Great Wall, Chicony and Seasonic where you could have like 4 different skus for a specific wattage.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-09-11 at 09:03 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

Pretty much. RMx was an effort to fix initial shortcomings of original RM series.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B