Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    So far the only source for the zone are mortal souls, just like any other plane, mortal souls wander these groves usually giving up their anima over time.
    Do they then cease to exist? I've not got Beta, so I'm mostly going by what I've seen elsewhere. Are these tenders former people? Ditto @Aucald if you're just Joe Schmoe the naturist and you go there, do you have to give up your anima and cease to exist?

@Coconut

Yeah, this debunks the Soul Cage theory barring some timeline changes. I'm moving towards figuring it broke with Helya being killed the first time and the Soul Cage was somehow a pre-requisite of that.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

so ara'lon and winter queen are evil?? they are sacrificing innocent souls instead of searching and solving the source of the problem? so horrendous! I hope we defeat them in a raid!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Do they then cease to exist? I've not got Beta, so I'm mostly going by what I've seen elsewhere. Are these tenders former people?
    These tenders seem to be shadowland natives, the only mortals I have seen there have just taken up animal forms and roam the wild and I would assume that once they have truly spend all their anima they die, but supposedly anima given is also returned in some way, but that of course is not really delved into, instead you get to collect ten more materials.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2020-09-10 at 06:07 PM.

Guys he's dead dead.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Read_the_Roots
    When my grove fell, I answered the Queen's call, and joined the Wild Hunt.

Nothing can be done to bring the tree, or the spirits within, back.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Yeah, this debunks the Soul Cage theory barring some timeline changes. I'm moving towards figuring it broke with Helya being killed the first time and the Soul Cage was somehow a pre-requisite of that.
    The Soul Cage never sat well with me tbh. It broke so easily that ultimately whoever wanted it broken could have done it on their own. Yes, there could be some convoluted reasoning about involving Sylvanas, but personally I would prefer it if it was something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    so ara'lon and winter queen are evil?? they are sacrificing innocent souls instead of searching and solving the source of the problem? so horrendous! I hope we defeat them in a raid!
    No, not really. The souls who go to Ardenweald are those with a profound connection to the natural world, they *choose* to sacrifice themselves to what they deem as a greater purpose (e.g. the resurrection of their gods, guides, and so forth). If you were unwilling to surrender your anima or to serve the Night Fae in a greater capacity then you go elsewhere.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Soul Cage theory doesn't make sense. If breaking the lantern is what caused the machine to shatter, then why the hell was Sylvanas furious when Greymane broke it? Breaking the machine was literally what Sylvanas and Jailer wanted.

The final catalyst for the destruction of the machine has to be something that happened in later Legion, possibly 7.3.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Didn't we see Ursoc in the Emerald Dream though after freeing him from the nightmare just like Ysera?
    Why is he now suddenly in ardenweald being reborn/sacrificed, does this mean the Emerald Dream is nothing more than a literal room with portals to fast-travel to other places or to just hang out, before ardenweald it was believed wild gods would return to the emerald dream upon death no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Do they then cease to exist? I've not got Beta, so I'm mostly going by what I've seen elsewhere. Are these tenders former people? Ditto Aucald if you're just Joe Schmoe the naturist and you go there, do you have to give up your anima and cease to exist?

The Night Fae seem to be creatures of the Shadowlands themselves, and not former mortal souls or anything like that. The process of shedding one's anima can be a gradual thing, or it can be immediate, seemingly depending on the choice of the soul. It is confirmed as voluntary, though.

As for the chronology of when Death broke, this does seem to confirm that the breaking of the Soul Cage wasn't direct cause. The timeline is still solidly in Legion, but precisely where is still up in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Missmagy View Post
    Didn't we see Ursoc in the Emerald Dream though after freeing him from the nightmare just like Ysera?
    Why is he now suddenly in ardenweald being reborn/sacrificed, does this mean the Emerald Dream is nothing more than a literal room with portals to fast-travel to other places or to just hang out, before ardenweald it was believed wild gods would return to the emerald dream upon death no?
    We see him there briefly, yes. But the Emerald Dream is apparently just a way-station on the way to the Ardenweald for the purposes of being reborn. We see Ysera there as well, and she also goes on to Ardenweald to actually be reborn. Presumably all the shades we encounter in the Emerald Dream made their way to Ardenweald eventually, except perhaps the mortal Druids themselves.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Missmagy View Post
    Yep Ardenweald replaced a few of the emerald dreams functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The Soul Cage theory doesn't make sense. If breaking the lantern is what caused the machine to shatter, then why the hell was Sylvanas furious when Greymane broke it? Breaking the machine was literally what Sylvanas and Jailer wanted.

The final catalyst for the destruction of the machine has to be something that happened in later Legion, possibly 7.3.
    I think the rationale was that breaking the lantern was also what got Sylvanas to side with them. Still, why should she be essential to the plan? If Helya had the lantern and she already served the Jailer, she could have broken it herself, or had a Kval'dir do it, long ago.

What happened to Cenarius the kaldorei demigod? He was slain shortly after Ursoc, so I imagine his soul was also sacrificed during this time of crisis? It wouldn't surprise me if they casually perm-kill Cenarius, Blizzard has a history of abusing night elf fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I think the rationale was that breaking the lantern was also what got Sylvanas to side with them. Still, why should she be essential to the plan? If Helya had the lantern and she already served the Jailer, she could have broken it herself, or had a Kval'dir do it, long ago.
    At that point she already served the Jailer. Her becoming Warchief was orchestrated by the Jailer, who had Mueh'zala whisper to Vol'jin. Sylvanas also made friends with Varian to politically secure her position as Warchief.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    I don't really think they have much of a choice.

Whether or not they even can solve the anima drought issue from Ardenweald itself, which I'm guessing it'll turn out they cannot, Ardenweald is not going to patiently stop dying while the Night Fae work out what the problems are. Some souls have to be sacrificed so that ALL souls aren't lost. That's not evil. That's a difficult decision for a leader to have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Yep Ardenweald replaced a few of the emerald dreams functions.
    It continues the SL theme: "NewStuff is OldStuff, but even more so!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

What happened to Cenarius the kaldorei demigod? He was slain shortly after Ursoc, so I imagine his soul was also sacrificed during this time of crisis? It wouldn't surprise me if they casually perm-kill Cenarius, Blizzard has a history of abusing night elf fans.
    We never killed him in the fight. At the end of the fight he's lying down while Malfurion cleanses him of corruption. We see him at the end of the raid completely healed.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Cenarius#Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Night Fae seem to be creatures of the Shadowlands themselves, and not former mortal souls or anything like that. The process of shedding one's anima can be a gradual thing, or it can be immediate, seemingly depending on the choice of the soul. It is confirmed as voluntary, though.
    I can see souls becoming animals in Ardenweald and then gradually dying as a result of the food chain. The voluntary part seems to be strange though. Wouldn't this require a certain kind of culture in life, or some awareness of the cycle, in order to feel justified? Do the freed Night Elf souls that arrive in Ardenweald say anything about this? Do they expect/accept to become mulch some day? If anything, the Night Elves would have usually avoided the Shadowlands altogether, with their souls fueling their own Ashenvale forest as wisps (perhaps attempting to copy the cycle seen in Ardenweald).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Cenarius and his fate is as-yet unseen, but it's not looking good if Ursoc could be sacrificed to stem the Drought. Many critical lifeseeds were saved from fallen groves and brought to the center of the Ardenweald to be tended with what anima was left, and Cenarius could be among them. We also have strong indications that the Kaldorei dead of the Fourth War will be somehow released from the Maw, and that could go a long way toward saving the Ancients and Wild Gods still remaining in Ardenweald as well.

lul, after the previous cinematic where blizz tried to force in our throat "even in scourge v.2 shitty heroism will prevail" now we have that? another "we need to place druid stuff because yes"...
    damn, there is a single class with more forced lore content than druids?

thats unfortunate, the first was even good, even with my strong dislike for paladin stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Cenarius and his fate is as-yet unseen, but it's not looking good if Ursoc could be sacrificed to stem the Drought. Many critical lifeseeds were saved from fallen groves and brought to the center of the Ardenweald to be tended with what anima was left, and Cenarius could be among them. We also have strong indications that the Kaldorei dead of the Fourth War will be somehow released from the Maw, and that could go a long way toward saving the Ancients and Wild Gods still remaining in Ardenweald as well.
    He lives and shows up in the Assault on Val'sharah quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I can see souls becoming animals in Ardenweald and then gradually dying as a result of the food chain. The voluntary part seems to be strange though. Wouldn't this require a certain kind of culture in life, or some awareness of the cycle, in order to feel justified? Do the freed Night Elf souls that arrive in Ardenweald say anything about this? Do they expect/accept to become mulch some day? If anything, the Night Elves would have usually avoided the Shadowlands altogether, with their souls fueling their own Ashenvale forest as wisps (perhaps attempting to copy the cycle seen in Ardenweald).
    We don't really know the specifics, yet. I assume they're made aware of the possibility as part of their judgment, and given the choice of sorts by the Arbiter or her stewards. Wisps may also be a byproduct of this process, where the bulk of the anima is siphoned away but a tiny core of it remains, resulting in a wisp that can flit between realms or somesuch. There are also wisp-like manifestations in Ardenweald that bear this out, although it's not yet been fully fleshed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    He lives and shows up in the Assault on Val'sharah quest.
    Ah, I forgot about that completely. So Cenarius is basically alive and not a factor, then. That's good.