Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    its VulKan not Vulcan. But yes, GGG switched to primarily supporting Vulkan simply because its much more consistent across various graphic cards and driver versions.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2866813
    Wish more companies would support vulkan, makes it easy to have programs that run on all major OS, windows, mac, linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Wish more companies would support vulkan, makes it easy to have programs that run on all major OS, windows, mac, linux.
    Its not how things works. Vulkan is not entire api you use to make a game but only api to "talk to" graphic card, supposedly bare-metal low-level.

And games for linux... well, I would say due to share amount of support, major gaming companies won't do it. Linux doesn't have a "standard" and that is the problem. Imagine supporting 10 versions of OS where in any of them any component may break in some weird way.

There has been so many attempts in the past yet no one succeeded. Like Steam OS.

Its not how things works. Vulkan is not entire api you use to make a game but only api to "talk to" graphic card, supposedly bare-metal low-level.

And games for linux... well, I would say due to share amount of support, major gaming companies won't do it. Linux doesn't have a "standard" and that is the problem. Imagine supporting 10 versions of OS where in any of them any component may break in some weird way.

There has been so many attempts in the past yet no one succeeded. Like Steam OS.
    Vulkan is entirely usable as a graphics library on linux and the makers of Vulkan have created moltenVK which allows vulkan to work with metal, it much more bridges the gap between OS then something like metal alone or DirectX

Sure, it's not the ONLY thing required, but it would be a huge boon.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Vulkan is entirely usable as a graphics library on linux and the makers of Vulkan have created moltenVK which allows vulkan to work with metal, it much more bridges the gap between OS then something like metal alone or DirectX

Sure, it's not the ONLY thing required, but it would be a huge boon.
    Thing is, it isn't as much as you think. That probably the least of problems. Windows and OSX might benefit from ths and quite possibly consoles but not linux.
    OpenGL had tons of games supporting it while not supporting Linux.

Free up some space, the patch redownloads the whole game to get a host of improvements. Apparently should see some big gains for HDD's and some minor improvements to performance, and better patching (including on Steam THANK GOODNESS).

Still not interested in Harvest or the next Heist league but I wanted to play. Made a SSF character on standard, Trickster with Caustic Arrow/Toxic Rain. It's going surprisingly well so far, though I still am not a fan of the way the new atlas progression works. Bird lady needs to spawn in the top right zone and...despite starting to do yellow maps I've literally had ONE map in that zone despite attempts to force them to drop. Never had this happen before, and I'm actually starting to see the second spawn for some champions before I even finish a full set of watchstones.

The build ain't great right now, did manage to do uber lab which was nice but without 6l attacks it's pretty meh. Was hoping for some better clear but not happening yet, maybe when I can 6l.

One thing I did discover is TIER 3 POISON ROOMS IN TEMPLES ARE DDDOOOOPPPPPEEEEEEEE. Never bothered but had one pop for me...the freakin poison pods don't seem to do much damage but they do pretty reliably spawn little packs of bugs. Doubt the XP is very good, but they seem to drop alright at least. Totally gonna keep pushing for that as it seems like a good way to get additional drops throughout the temple.

Edit: Not sure what's going on, but since patching I'm getting weird framerate issues. Says it's capped at 60 with only minor fluctuations (not GPU limited, it appears at both 2K and 1080p resolutions and my GPU is far from maxed out), but I'm getting pretty frequent slowdown/stuttering. Hoping it's just their servers being under heavy load right now or something, because it's not fun to run around even in my hideout with the issue -_-
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-09-11 at 12:17 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Free up some space, the patch redownloads the whole game to get a host of improvements. Apparently should see some big gains for HDD's and some minor improvements to performance, and better patching (including on Steam THANK GOODNESS).

Still not interested in Harvest or the next Heist league but I wanted to play.
    The changes being introduced are pretty impactful. Better textures, better sound, game optimization, Vulkan optimization, faster patching fore the steam client and so forth. Even HDD users are going to see a noticeable uplift in performance due to their new sorting system for preloading assets. Everybody wins. I'll just have to muddle through it on my temp card till I can get a hold of a 3090.

As for Heist. At first I was wholly uninterested. The concept never really appealed to me especially when the community was hyping up the possibility of an under water expansion with boats. I was never an Ocean's Eleven kind of guy and the only train heist I can appreciate is the one in Back to the Future 3. Then I jumped in to the extended ZiggyD overview which went in to much more detail about the new system as well as items and I got a much better idea about how it works and the rewards to go along with them. Some of the alternate skills gems, replica uniques and experimental base types really can open up the door to elevate existing builds like the new Shrapnel Ballista and Spectral Shield Throw in to something more than just "okay" which is always great.

I don't care much for the new area control gems though. Firewall should have been in the game much sooner and the synergy it brings is a great idea which will really compliment a lot of attack based ranged builds but the others feel like they're going to be too mandatory. They're neat and look great but definitely not the highlight of my interest. I hate being pigeonholed.

Don't care for Harvest either and am glad it's not going core. This at least feels like you're going to be involved with a league mechanic and even though we lost the deterministic crafting I'm still happy it's gone.

Most importantly though, I am VERY excited about the community racing events and how they're becoming more and more popular. Gives a lot of hope that we'll come back to the before time when races existed along side leagues.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-09-11 at 12:34 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    The changes being introduced are pretty impactful. Better textures, better sound, game optimization, Vulkan optimization, faster patching fore the steam client and so forth. Even HDD users are going to see a noticeable uplift in performance due to their new sorting system for preloading assets. Everybody wins. I'll just have to muddle through it on my temp card till I can get a hold of a 3090.
    Reports I'm seeing so far are...very mixed. Lots of issues with textures and flickering, lots of performance/framerate issues, plenty of folks reporting no real change to loading times on HDD etc.

I've only been in my hideout so I'll test mapping a bit later, but unless my issue was server-lag related I'll be waiting until they iron out the issues to play again. Tried with both Vulcan/DX11 and it was the same on both.

I actually kinda do want Harvest to go core...but with some big QoL updates so it's less of a tedious slog. I'm finding I wish I had the ability to actually craft some shit on my SSF character and...well I have essences and some fossils, otherwise it's just pulling that slot machine lever : |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reports I'm seeing so far are...very mixed. Lots of issues with textures and flickering, lots of performance/framerate issues, plenty of folks reporting no real change to loading times on HDD etc.

I've only been in my hideout so I'll test mapping a bit later, but unless my issue was server-lag related I'll be waiting until they iron out the issues to play again. Tried with both Vulcan/DX11 and it was the same on both.

I actually kinda do want Harvest to go core...but with some big QoL updates so it's less of a tedious slog. I'm finding I wish I had the ability to actually craft some shit on my SSF character and...well I have essences and some fossils, otherwise it's just pulling that slot machine lever : |
    Oh, I didn't even know it was pushed out already. I'll have to check it out tomorrow and keep an eye on the subreddit in the mean time. It's definitely not uncommon for bugs to appear after they've patched the game on the best of days so better now to iron them out than on the 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Don't care for Harvest either and am glad it's not going core. This at least feels like you're going to be involved with a league mechanic and even though we lost the deterministic crafting I'm still happy it's gone.
    But harvest is going to core, just reworked and rebalanced and not immediately:
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2924277

All of these changes are too time-consuming to implement immediately. We would like Harvest to be core in the future, but we are not yet sure of what that would look like.

Another league, another bout of frustration trying to pick what I want to play, then when it turns out I don't like it, I have to re-roll and go through the effing campaign AGAIN, for the millionth time.

I don't understand how this is not a higher issue on their radar. Or if they just don't care because it's too much work to fix, and PoE2 is coming. I tend towards the latter, but damn I wish they would do something.

Letting you respec freely before level 50, or something, would go a LONG way.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934377

Crackling Lance looks decent at least.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Another league, another bout of frustration trying to pick what I want to play, then when it turns out I don't like it, I have to re-roll and go through the effing campaign AGAIN, for the millionth time.

I don't understand how this is not a higher issue on their radar. Or if they just don't care because it's too much work to fix, and PoE2 is coming. I tend towards the latter, but damn I wish they would do something.

Letting you respec freely before level 50, or something, would go a LONG way.
    Your hardly the only one. I imagine there are MANY people who quit early on in a league because they picked the "wrong" build and cba to level again. But PoE is set on being the way it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934377
    I'm tempted to try it if the numbers are good. I liked the idea of Divine Ire but hated the clunky windup, this looks similar but without that annoyance.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    But harvest is going to core, just reworked and rebalanced and not immediately:
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2924277
    I mean, I hated the Bestiary league and was skeptical when it was brought back as core but have to say it's a lot more enjoyable even though a bit dated at this point so I am open to Harvest coming back especially where they are aware of the short comings of how it can't just be brought back like, say, Breach where it's a small percent chance to get seeds otherwise it would take forever to get anything out of it. Building the farm each league would get old fast too so I hope it's either a saved template like the hideout or you're simply given a pre-made farm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Your hardly the only one. I imagine there are MANY people who quit early on in a league because they picked the "wrong" build and cba to level again. But PoE is set on being the way it is.
    That's my biggest issue. The only time I went in to a league knowing ahead of time what I wanted to play was EQ Glad back in I want to say Parandus but since then it's been a mish mash of hopes, dreams and disappointment. Zombies in Blight was pretty satisfying though and I'm always game for a Power Siphon build if I can afford it.

Hell, maybe with the new Discharge changes we can see some kind of Mjolnir blast from the past builds happen. Cospri COC builds are just so blah.

This time I was thinking about doing a Shrapnel Ballista or take another try with Spectral Shield Throw because of the new gems and items but a) SSF hates me when it comes to things I need and b) I woke up and saw the new skill videos and now I'm back to square one. Lance looks like the closest we'll get to Lightning Fury from D2, Blazing Salvo is like Fireball with extra steps and Firestorm is a god damn Meteor.

Ugh.

7 days to decide.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-09-11 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post

Also looking at crackling lance, going to see if i can work it into a mine/trap build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also thinking about dumping my 8700k, Z390 and my temp 1660 Ti while the getting is decent and jump in to a X570 platform in preparation for Zen 3. Since PoE is really the only game I have on the list to play seriously in the immediate future I was thinking about buying a cheap 3400G and slide back to 1080p but I have no idea what to expect for performance and if I end up with fancy paperweight that gets snagged on these performance issues from the update then that'll kill the first week of the league.

Alternatively, I could buy a 2600 for the same price and keep the 1660 Ti in the mean time and then just throw it back in the closet whenever I get my hands on a 3080.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I think alot of people are gonna go 24 challenges this league

Yeah...wasn't gonna bother with league and was just gonna play standard with my brother...told him about the cat reward and I guess we're fuckin playin Heist now because we desperately need a cat with an eyepatch and bowtie.

Yeah well ill prolly do 40 as usual, quick tip, except grindy ones, you can buy most challenges on TFT discord. Most expensive ones are like 1ex. Like this league finding 5 essence mob was pain in the ass, bought that for like 50c.

But im not interested in cat, I wanna portal.

Damn, that's a cute cat, but I've never even gotten the 12 completion reward, so that's way out of my reach.

Guess i need to do some research since i've missed the last 2 leagues time to see whats still playable.