Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The Void's irrational fear of Death

N'Zoth whispers: Six seats at the high table. Six mouths that hunger. One will consume all others.

N'Zoth whispers: It grows hungrier... bolder. Alas, your eyes are closed.

N'Zoth whispers: The Light has struck a bargain with the enemy of all.

The blind queen wields a scepter of bone. From the deep, she calls forth doom.

Queen Azshara yells: Treacherous Banshee! Do you think I am blind to the darkness you seek to unleash?

Why would the Void be afraid of Death?
    It makes no sense. Why would a force that can consume all of reality be afraid of a force that can only affect living beings?

The Void is ancient as hell:
    "In the very beginning of time, before even the cosmos existed, there was only the Light and the Void. Originally, only the Light existed as an unfettered, shifting ocean of living energy. However, as some of its energies faded and dimmed, pockets of cold nothingness were created. From the absence of Light in these spaces, a new power coalesced and came to be. This was the Void, a dark and vampiric force driven to devour all energy, to twist creation inward to feed upon itself. The Void quickly grew and began to move against the Light, and before long, the mounting tension between the two forces ignited a series of explosions that ruptured the very fabric of creation, giving birth to the physical universe."

It existed before the physical universe even existed, and was one of the two fundamental forces that are responsible for its creation. Death, on the other hand, was only created when the first mortal being appeared - which would make it a much younger force than the Void.

Scientifically speaking, Void is empty space. And empty space is not affected, whatsoever, by biological decomposing processes, such as Death. It would be like comparing Biology with Physics, and saying something like a plague would be worse than a black hole.

Speaking of black holes, the Void operates much like one. Its purpose is to consume all of reality, leaving nothing behind but empty space. Contrary to that, Death's goal is to, pretty much, kill every living being in the universe - which, would still leave us with existing energy and material. The physical universe would still exist, in the end of the day. It would just be emptier - without any living beings in it. That is not nearly as bad as reality being reduced to nothingness.

Warcraft 3 even solidified its supremacy over Death:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I3jNzrTx8

The following is taken from the Legacy of the Damned campaign of Warcraft 3, Chapter 7, mission two - The Forgotten ones:

Anub'arak: We have entered the Old Kingdom. Be wary, death knight. Whatever scared the dwarves still lurks down here somewhere.

King Arthas: What the hell are they?

Anub'arak: They are the horrors the dwarves spoke of. I thought they were only legends.

King Arthas: What?

Anub'arak: They are the faceless ones...

Anub'arak: It cannot be...

Anub'arak: A forgotten one. Look to your defenses, death knight! Fight as you've never fought before!

Anub'arak: We cannot take them all! Hurry, death knight--up the stairwell! Hurry!

The exchange between the two clearly shows that Anub'arak and Arthas were afraid of Faceless ones and the Forgotten one. They couldn't even defeat them all.

Now, it is said that the Void Lords are so incredibly powerful that they can't even manifest themselves in the physical universe. That is why they had to, literally, thrust the Old Gods into our universe, for them to spread their influence. The Void Lords are so immensely powerful that a mere echo of their power - Dimensius the All-Devouring - managed to completely annihilate the Ethereal's homeworld of Ka'resh.

I'll have to admit, though, that this power is not just attributed to the accomplishment of a Void Lord. Murmur, the sound elemental, is said to be able to destroy entire worlds with a single whisper. However, this is not the case in Outland. This could be explained the same way Dimensius the All-Devouring is easily beatable in Outland: They have not fully emerged into our universe. I highly believe that the case of Murmur should be explored more thoroughly, as we haven't got the slightest idea of what a sound elemental is capable of, or even the very nature of it. (Bards could be hella OP as a future class )

The only reason i can see the Void "fearing" Death is due to their inability to manifest in the physical universe. What i mean is, the Void Lords planned on corrupting Azeroth to serve as their most powerful entity. Sargeras even believed that if they succeeded, that the whole universe would, pretty much, be doomed. Now, since Undead are believed to be resistant to Void corruption, it is possible that the force of Death (probably the Jailer) is trying to convert Azeroth into an Undead being - which, would foil the Void Lords' plans to corrupt her.

That is the only reason i can see them "fearing" the force of Death. Not much of a fear, to be exact, but more of a grudge towards it.
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-09-12 at 12:01 AM.

I love that Ion Sylvanas is the face they went with.

The idea is more that Undeath gives some protection against the void. In particular, it makes one resistant against the magical manipulation of the mind, which is a preferred path of attack for the Void. Physical void manifestations is very strong, but rare. Their main method for reaching their goals is to manipulate mortals. Now of course, Undeath does not provide immunity to normal manipulation, just to mind altering magic. And perhaps but this has not yet been shown, so personal speculation, they cannot see futures to well with Undeath beings in it. This makes them an unknown to their long term plans.

Why does the void fear death/undeath? Because it's a random factor that can mess their plans up.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Oh god that graphic style... It's all over the place and should, honestly, come with a warning label.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Perhaps as beings of the void they are eternal and death-less, so facing death itself makes them uncertain about surviving?

Dunno, blizzard is writing some new stuff with shadowlands..... who knows what it will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh god that graphic style... It's all over the place and should, honestly, come with a warning label.
    It almost feels like they actually put effort to find bad artist on purpose.

3+ Year Old Account
    This irrational fear BS again.

Void lords are basically sentient Blackholes.

Why would they fear death?

If anything the void would find death as annoyance seeing how they are resistant to their whispers but not their magic.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    If anything the void would find death as annoyance seeing how they are resistant to their whispers but not their magic.
    Because they somehow have to hype up [insert new big bad] that didn't have previous setup in the lore.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    It almost feels like they actually put effort to find bad artist on purpose.
    Yeah, that comic is an eyesore to look at. Good thing I wear glasses though
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Because they somehow have to hype up [insert new big bad] that didn't have previous setup in the lore.
    That is very blizzard like. I can see that happen.

3+ Year Old Account
    Because even the Void is alive. The beings that dwell in it.. can die.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    This is not irrationnal.

The void consume, the void eats. If death consume everything, then there is no balance, then there is nothing to consume, then the void is... void.

God I missed this comic. So bad that its good.

We also do not know WHY the Void Lords want so desperately to enter our universe. Or, maybe there is dissent in their ranks and some want different things than others.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I second this. It gives me cancer.

On topic. It isn't really clear in that new warcraft cosmology that the older powers are more powerful than newer powers. For example, nothing states that the Light is the most powerful, because it existed first and on its own. Disorder or Chaos or the Twisting Nether for example is a combination of Light and Void. Does that make it the strongest? Or not? There is no answer so far. Hell, Disorder/Chaos doesn't even have its own proper representatives, as Sargeras is originally a being of Order. But you'd expect, that in the Twisting Nether there would exist beings of Disorder that counter the Titans who're so far the main and highest representatives of Order.

At the moment i expect that each power has probably the potential to completely destroy the others. So if Death becomes powerful enough, it could enter the dimension of the Void for example and eradicate its representatives. Its stated that the Light has invaded the dimension of the Void and destroyed, killed or imprisoned countless beings who live there on a lot of planets. Why should the power of Death not be able to do it if it can manage to get into the Void itself properly and with enough might behind it? Especially because the Undead seem to have a higher resistance to the whispers of the Void.
    Last edited by Reinhart11; 2020-09-11 at 10:59 PM.

I don't see fear here. Sylvanas is an agent of the Jailer. It's not unreasonable that the Void would want her (more) dead.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Speaking of black holes, the Void operates much like one. Its purpose is to consume all of reality, leaving nothing behind but empty space.
    According to Chronicle, the Void Lords want to "twist reality into a realm of eternal torment."

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Scientifically speaking, Void is empty space.
    The Void is not empty space.

"In the end, death claims us all."
    Void believes in its thousand truths. In all the possibilities. Things must live for these to happen. Death is the end. Death is the end of possibilities. At least it's supposed to be.
    The problem is tho that death is very weirdly portrayed in WoW due to dead things not really being dead and coming back all the time due to emergency plot.

Sigh, i keep being reminded why warcraft is such a waste of my time. yet I keep coming back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhart11 View Post
    Hell, Disorder/Chaos doesn't even have its own proper representatives, as Sargeras is originally a being of Order. But you'd expect, that in the Twisting Nether there would exist beings of Disorder that counter the Titans who're so far the main and highest representatives of Order.
    Actually, there are. They are called Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    The Old Gods and their minions, maybe. But, not the cosmic force itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Engal View Post
    This is not irrationnal.

The void consume, the void eats. If death consume everything, then there is no balance, then there is nothing to consume, then the void is... void.
    Death can only consume living beings, not lifeless matter. That leaves plenty of stuff for the Void to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The Void is not empty space.
    Void, synonym for vacuum, a space containing no matter.
    A vacuum is space devoid of matter. The word stems from the Latin adjective vacuus for "vacant" or "void".
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-09-11 at 11:59 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - They aren't afraid. You aren't automatically afraid of your enemies.
    2 - It isn't the Void, it's something in the Void playing with Alleria's distrust of Sylvanas. The Void is just a force.