Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It depends.

I think this video was what changed my mind more honestly on playing harder modes-
    https://youtu.be/OEzx_wtcHAo (Razbuten's "Consumable Items (and why I barely use them)" video, to anyone who doesn't want to click)

Like specifically, I started up Witcher 3 on Deaths March mode instead. But on the other hand, it's still a long game so I can understand why someone who just wants the story would pick a lower difficulty so they can roll through it easier. But to me, it's also true that you'll most likely not see a reason to interact with the crafting system in general when everything dies already.

I'm not gonna judge someone for picking easy honestly, easy can still be fun. Like in your case specifically (For the OP), you were mentally done with the game already, so why push it when you can just turn down the difficulty and possibly enjoy the end more instead?

I enjoy P2W, I enjoy "Borrowed power" I basiclly enjoy everything that trivializes "challenge".

I'm just that kind of person. I don't find frustration "Fun", So i'd never play something like dark souls since the oonly thing i would want to do then is to find a mod or cheat that would make it easier.

there's no real shame to it,really,as long as you have fun.

Personally,I love a good challenge most of the time,but I know not everyone is able to pull stuff like Nightmare difficulty in Doom Eternal off.

I will say however,that it's a good idea to try to push the difficulty up when you're feeling comfortable in the current difficulty. If it just doesn't work,you can turn it down again,but you may be able to actually make it work,and it can become even more enjoyable that way

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel nothing in particular to it.
    Games should have different difficulty settings.
    I do play some games on Easy, other on Medium or Hard. It just depends on what I'm looking for in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    I swear, if there are fucking Marauders in the DLC I'm going to have a pallet of rotten pineapples airdropped in front of Bethesda/id's front door.
    Boy do I have news for you .

Good news for most of the people who eventually got good at the game,but probably pretty bad news for you

But yeah,the thing with Marauders is that turning the difficulty down doesn't really help against them,as there's no brute forcing them,you just have to learn how to fight them (and then,they become arguably one of the easiest heavy/super heavies to kill)

I usually play on Hard or Normal depending on how much fun I think the combat system would be, and if I'm stuck on something for a long while where I don't think I'm making progress on my current difficulty, I don't mind turning it down, given the option.

But I think if the majority of a game isn't fun at a moderate difficulty, I probably dislike its challenging parts (such as its combat system) as a whole, in which case I think I'm more likely to quit the game than play it entirely on Easy...

I don't mind games that are inherently easy or have no challenges, but I think a game that has challenges which aren't fun, I'm unlikely to sit through. I've fairly recently formed a personal belief that I would rather have no gameplay than bad gameplay (i.e. I'll take a Visual Novel over an unfun RPG).

I don't feel anything, really.

My dad plays on easy and he enjoys the shit out of games like TLOU2 just fine at that difficulty.
    I will play on higher difficulties, but ONLY if I enjoy it.

Each to their own, placing some sort of self-worth in being able to play a game at higher difficulty where others cannot, seems pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    I had to turn Doom Eternal down to "Too Young to Die" to fight the final boss and I'm satisfied. I've been stuck on the fight for probably a week or two now, and on the game as a whole for nearly three months, and I just wanted to be done. Even on TYTD it was still pretty intense, though.

In general, is there any shame in playing games on easy? Maybe it was just because Eternal was so mentally exhausting and (literally) headache-inducing to me that I finally needed to dial it down a little- 99% of the time I just play games on normal and they aren't nearly as intense.
    I always play singleplayer games on the easiest mode possible. Best example right now for me is the Witcher 3. Couldn't care any less about the combat system. I just want the story and cinematic experience. If I want a challenge then I play multiplayer games.

Despite what people say there is NOTHING wrong with playing a game on easy mode, some people enjoy the raw challenge of a hard mode, of beating down a boss after dying to it a dozen times. Some people want an engaging story and characters they can get involved with. Some people just want to crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentations of their women. What matters for games is; are you having fun playing it? If you can answer that question with a yes then that is all that matters, it's your time and your money, you should spend and use it how you feel is best.

As long as you understand that the difficulty setting you used on Cyberpunk plus your IO score plus your Covenant choice will determine your place on the raiding roster, knock yourself out.

I feel that my personal thoughts aren't relevant to another person's decisions on game difficulty. I enjoy hard modes but I respect those that don't. No-one should feel shame for playing a game in the way they want to.

Besides, even when you do HMs anyway there's always the elitist group that attempt to shame you for not finding it as easy as it was for them. Healthier just to ignore and carry on as you were.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Boy do I have news for you .

Good news for most of the people who eventually got good at the game,but probably pretty bad news for you

But yeah,the thing with Marauders is that turning the difficulty down doesn't really help against them,as there's no brute forcing them,you just have to learn how to fight them (and then,they become arguably one of the easiest heavy/super heavies to kill)
    Oh, trust me, I beat every Marauder on HMP, so I definitely know how to fight them. It just never gets less frustrating and they've had me stuck on a particular pull for days. Icon of Sin was just as bad on TYTD, but the extra layer of demons being gone- fewer Barons, no Pain Elementals- helped a little.

I'm playing the DLC on HMP, I just turned the game down for Icon of Sin.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When i was younger, the harder the challenge, the better. Now i'm 40 and i do this to relax. Dying over and over to the same ultra-hard mechanic isn't fun any more.

Enjoy the game how you want to enjoy the game.

I would much rather have difficulty options at all than not and have stuff based on the person be too hard to enjoy or conversely too easy to enjoy. Its all up to the developer to balance it right though. More or less health and damage in a combat game sucks in general as a modifier.

On the original PS2 God of War, I had to turn the game down to easy to beat the last boss. That still pains me.

But I really couldn't give a fuck how anybody else plays it.

Shame? Hardly. I do find beating most games on easy to be unsatisfying though. If theres little to no chance of failure it's not really a game, is it?

That said, if we're talking about a story heavy game that I don't care much for the gameplay of and easy mode lets me get to the good bits faster, I'll use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I always play singleplayer games on the easiest mode possible. Best example right now for me is the Witcher 3. Couldn't care any less about the combat system. I just want the story and cinematic experience. If I want a challenge then I play multiplayer games.
    This is a great comparison. Playing MP games against people is a much more genuine challenge than a game like Witcher 3 on hard where enemies turn into damage sponges and have superhuman reflexes/aim.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    As long as you understand that the difficulty setting you used on Cyberpunk plus your IO score plus your Covenant choice will determine your place on the raiding roster, knock yourself out.
    I laughed too hard at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I don't feel anything, really.

My dad plays on easy and he enjoys the shit out of games like TLOU2 just fine at that difficulty.
    I will play on higher difficulties, but ONLY if I enjoy it.

Each to their own, placing some sort of self-worth in being able to play a game at higher difficulty where others cannot, seems pretty useless.
    Wish I could upvote (like most of your posts).

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, the responses in this topic have surprised me (in a positive way).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ambivalent about it. If the game is too difficult for me, then I decide whether I want to practice at it based on whether my skills are going to get better (for some games I can't get better at, my visual tracking is extremely poor and my ability to react in a time to visual input is just too slow for high-speed FPS games like Doom, and the default movement speed of Doom is actually too high for me to even feel comfortable running around, it makes me a little bit dizzy).

I play Super Mario Odyssey in Assist Mode because worrying about health in a Mario game just isn't fun for me, I also am currently in my 3rd playthrough of Sekiro and considering doing a Demon Bell+Kuro's Charm playthrough for my ng+++ run. I enjoy getting kicked in the face by difficulty, I don't enjoy tedium.

It is the exact same reason I hate M+ in WoW, higher level keys are more tedious than they are engaging. There just isn't anything mechanically interesting about them, just a bunch of tedious and uninteresting mechanics that have specific strategies to follow. There is no "trying things out" because it is timed, you go in with it planned out ahead of time and contingencies prepared so you can meet the timer.

Ironically this is also why I don't ever queue with others or even attempt to make friends when I play PvP games, I only queue solo and never in draft mode (when the game has a draft mode) because I prefer having to adapt to unforeseeable matchups. It isn't a lone wolf thing though, I just find it more fun to adapt and read the other players in the match. If I know my teammates ahead of time that takes half the fun out of it because I don't have to read my teammates in addition to my opponents.

I don't have any interest in what difficulties other people play on, it has literally no bearing on how I play a game. That would be akin to asking me what I think about how my neighbor organizes their sock drawer, it has literally nothing to do with me and as such I have absolutely no interest in it.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-09-12 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.