View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    There are no consequences to EU international legal actions in practice and it is extreme of you to say otherwise. The suggestion of yours that the EU could seize UK assets without any retaliatory measures back in the same from the UK is a nonsense. You are going down the road to WW3, not going to happen.

International law is advisory at best and every country every year ignores it. If that makes the UK a rogue state then so is every other country in the world. Here is one of the most recent examples from last year of the UK ignoring international law, you could find an example from any nation if you looked.
    Consequences to EU legal actions include but are not limited to the US rejecting future UK/US trade deals. The point of all of this is not to force the UK to pay money, the UK is not big enough nor interesting enough to be able to pay the kinds of moneys where the EU would lick its fingers. The whole point here is to make abundantly clear, to everyone, who crashed this party, who broke their word, the agreement and who is to blame for all of this. It's so wonderfully obvious that the EU isn't even hiding it, all it does is letting the UK show the world what it really is: A small, petty ex-Empire that has zero regard for the international order, international law and rules and should not be trusted. The UK is quickly lowering itself to the standard of North Korea. Well done, Dribbles, that is a great show of sovereignity. And you understand it so well, too. Btw, once this gets to your supreme court, those communist pricks will teach your precious bozo PM that international law and agreements have precedence. Especially when the UK parliament ratified them. Taking backsies may work in the elementary school you go to, but not in top level global politics
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    There are no consequences to EU international legal actions in practice and it is extreme of you to say otherwise. The suggestion of yours that the EU could seize UK assets without any retaliatory measures back in the same from the UK is a nonsense. You are going down the road to WW3, not going to happen.

International law is advisory at best and every country every year ignores it. If that makes the UK a rogue state then so is every other country in the world. Here is one of the most recent examples from last year of the UK ignoring international law, you could find an example from any nation if you looked.

UK government rejects International Court of Justice verdict on Chagos Islands

https://www.chagossupport.org.uk/pos...chagos-islands

As you can see the UK says thanks for the advice, but we think otherwise. Any legal ruling by the EU against the UK would be rejected, that's sovereignty for you.
    Iran, Russia. Just a few examples of countries that have been sanctioned and had assets ceased.

The UK can retaliate with similar measures but I'm confident in a UK vs EU sanction fight the EU is going to win handily.

Love the suggestion of a WW3 tho, because the UK taking military action against a bunch of NATO countries would be hilarious. It really would be the UK vs the rest of the world. Maybe we can trade you to Russia, they are always looking to expand their borders.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

So Britain and Japan signed their trade agreement. Yay, I guess. Oh, wait the agreement is worse than what they would have had with Japan if they remained in the EU. Is worth £15bn, 80% of which goes to Japan and the best part. Will increase British GDP by a MAXIMUM of 0.07% .

So yeah Congrats Japan on bending over the UK and getting a deal that's great for you guys.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Iran, Russia. Just a few examples of countries that have been sanctioned and had assets ceased.

The UK can retaliate with similar measures but I'm confident in a UK vs EU sanction fight the EU is going to win handily.

Love the suggestion of a WW3 tho, because the UK taking military action against a bunch of NATO countries would be hilarious. It really would be the UK vs the rest of the world. Maybe we can trade you to Russia, they are always looking to expand their borders.
    means a lot of scorched earth on both sides still. UK is perhaps on the trip EU will be the grown up part and will not retaliate and wont rock the boat as much as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    This is a type of escalation that no sane person should be asking for, because EVERYONE suffers if the UK becomes another North Korea.
    We don't have sane, or at least competent people running this. We have people for whom no amount of damage is too much to ensure a break from the EU. And it isn't a small group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Clause 38 means that the EU can't pass laws on the UK's behalf, nothing more. So yes, the UK is CAPABLE of ripping up the Withdrawal Agreement. But the EU is absolutely within it's rights to seek relief via the methods agreed to between the UK and the EU. The UK can also ignore those, but that would make the UK a rogue state, and lead to things like sanctions against them. This is a type of escalation that no sane person should be asking for, because EVERYONE suffers if the UK becomes another North Korea.
    Also for any country that is going to need in the near term to make a LOT of new trade deals if they get what they want openly showing they won't stand by anything they sign can't make that process easier. Why bother going through the time/energy in writing something not worth the paper it is written on.

15+ Year Old Account
    fun fact, they are also breaking national law with this abomination, not just international law
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    fun fact, they are also breaking national law with this abomination, not just international law
    Isn't the idea that they are going to Parliament to change the law so they won't be breaking it when they ignore the WA?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Isn't the idea that they are going to Parliament to change the law so they won't be breaking it when they ignore the WA?
    The law itself breaks national law despite all the WA stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

its modern conservative thinking mixed with these peoples class privilege :

for them laws are meant to protect them but not bind them
    whilst other people are meant to be bound by laws but not protected by them.

all so cummings can make his state aid silicon valley that isnt going to end up like that first attempt, a shitty complex that failed on a roundabout with the only thing coming out of it was boris getting a blowjob from jennifer arcuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So Britain and Japan signed their trade agreement. Yay, I guess. Oh, wait the agreement is worse than what they would have had with Japan if they remained in the EU. Is worth £15bn, 80% of which goes to Japan and the best part. Will increase British GDP by a MAXIMUM of 0.07% .

So yeah Congrats Japan on bending over the UK and getting a deal that's great for you guys.
    Haha... Hahahaha.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just a few exerpts... omg, this is the best:

https://www.ft.com/content/1cb01980-...a-528c5b3b1807

The deal was reached after a compromise on agriculture under which the UK will have access to export quotas for cheese and other products that have not been used by the EU, said negotiators.
    Tokyo refused to give the UK any new quota, but for 10 out of 25 products covered in the EU-Japan deal — including cheese, tea extracts and bread mixes — the UK will be able to use any quota left over by the EU.

For example, if the EU uses only 19,000 tonnes of its 20,000 tonne quota for low-tariff cheese exports, the UK will be able to use the remaining 1,000 tonnes. Asked whether that meant the UK could end up empty-handed, one official said: “There is headroom in these quotas.”
    “This is a historic moment for the UK and Japan as our first major post-Brexit trade deal. The agreement we have negotiated — in record time and in challenging circumstances — goes far beyond the existing EU deal,” said Ms Truss.
    Yet officials confirmed that the deal was expected to add a mere 0.07 per cent to UK gross domestic product. By contrast, government economists have forecast a 5 per cent loss of GDP from leaving the EU customs union and single market.
    ROFLMAO. Yeah, best deal ever! The UK gets the leftovers, their idiotic trade secretary says some bullshit about how it goes beyond any EU deal and idiots are going to gobble that up, ignoring that they get the LEFTOVERS from the EU. How EMBARASSING is that? Holy shit, I knew it was gonna be bad, but this is just... oh my god, I'm liking this sneak preview of the future for the UK. This surpasses even my most bastard moment.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm seeing shit on Twitter about Tory MPs along the lines of 'saying they had no idea what sort of party they were joining', or at least commentary as that what their behavior is like. Does that have something to do with Johnsons government admitting it was intending to violate international law with their shenanigans they are trying to pull with the WA?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    all so cummings can make his state aid silicon valley that isnt going to end up like that first attempt, a shitty complex that failed on a roundabout with the only thing coming out of it was boris getting a blowjob from jennifer arcuri.
    I have also read this reason, and my first thought was one of incredulity "Are they really that stupid and unaware of their incompetence that they think they can successfully champion tech companies like that?"

My second thought was 'yes, they are'.
    (Not saying that EU efforts in the same direction are much better.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

Just a few exerpts... omg, this is the best:

https://www.ft.com/content/1cb01980-...a-528c5b3b1807

ROFLMAO. Yeah, best deal ever! The UK gets the leftovers, their idiotic trade secretary says some bullshit about how it goes beyond any EU deal and idiots are going to gobble that up, ignoring that they get the LEFTOVERS from the EU. How EMBARASSING is that? Holy shit, I knew it was gonna be bad, but this is just... oh my god, I'm liking this sneak preview of the future for the UK. This surpasses even my most bastard moment.
    Global Britain! I can't wait see Dribs' attempt at glorifying that one.

I did read the post you quoted. It's difficult to be certain, because it IS Dribblespek and therefore illogical is a kind and generous word to describe it, but it seems to me both initially and rereading it that he was saying that the EU offered to give the UK a deal matching CETA in exchange for the WA. He says 'offered a Canada deal' not 'offered Canada a deal'. So he wasn't commenting on the terms of CETA, he's saying that unless the UK gets everything in CETA and more from the EU, then the WA is being broken by the EU.

I could be wrong, my brain hurts trying to follow it.
    I guess I did skip over the position of the "a". Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Global Britain! I can't wait see Dribs' attempt at glorifying that one.
    Thats easy... ''The EU's fault! we will win. <insert a really shitty example of ''winning'' here>

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not a fan of Brexit but it should be noted that the new UK/Japan deal IS actually better for the UK than the EU/Japan deal was, however that's only because the EU one was designed to benefit all nations of the EU whereas the new one was specifically made to benefit England >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    To the arbitration panel which would be called in.
    IIRC the arbitration panels failings are the entire reason the UK government created this stupid bill, because they claim the EU have broken the terms of the WA but there isn't enough time for the arbitration panel to do anything about it before January so they have no choice but to do this to limit the damage of being forced to leave the EU without a deal.

This means that is it would be next summer by the time the arbitration panel offered a decision/resolution on the UK governments bill and god knows what kind of chaos the UK government will have wrecked by then

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    because the EU one was designed to benefit all nations of the EU whereas the new one was specifically made to benefit England >.>
    England... obvious typo but probably true nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I'm not a fan of Brexit but it should be noted that the new UK/Japan deal IS actually better for the UK than the EU/Japan deal was, however that's only because the EU one was designed to benefit all nations of the EU whereas the new one was specifically made to benefit England >.>
    True, as England is no longer part of the EU and thus gains very little from the EU-Japan deal :-)

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    England... obvious typo
    It wasn't.