Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    @PaladinSum maybe he did see force ghosts but they didn’t have time to show it, I’ve come to realise these format of story telling don’t show everything due to time, it’s one of the advantages book versions have.

I really like these.

Who are the characters here?

Is this official canon or part of the old EU stuff they scrapped?

Where can I get the rest of this stuff? Presumably it’s value is low since they tossed it if not is old canon, unless it’s new canon - can’t believe they threw away all that EU merchandise value by scrapping that timeline.

To be honest it will make more sense to rewrite the Evynstar of episode 7-9, so they happened but were an altered timeline which gets restored.

Allowing both the old EI stuff and the current movies to have relevance and allowing a better and proper continuation of Star Wars.

If they were to do that, I’d probably give new movies continuing after where the last EU book ended.

Anyway, where can I get more of that comic? It already looks more interesting than any of the new movies.
    This is old EU so not canon. It’s also been way to long since I’ve gone though the old EU to give you many details. This is ghost Luke with one of his great grand kids I believe but his name slips me.

As far as where to find it you’d have to check around google I know some of the old legends stuff is on marvel unlimited but I can’t say I’ve gone though and checked how much as I’m not to interested in going back to the old EU baring some old republic stuff.

So for all those people that said JJ had a plan and Rian Johnson ruined it?

Turns out, JJ didnt have a plan either.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

I’ve said from the beginning they fucked up by starting a trilogy with no overall story in mind. Just winged it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rian Johnson made the better movie hands down.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Rian Johnson made the better movie hands down.
    TLJ is the worst movie ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

Of course they didn't have a plan. They only asked if Ian wanted to come back for Palpatine role less than a year before release of last movie. That should've been telling enough if rest of the clusterfuck wasn't.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    TLJ is the worst movie ever made.
    The only thing that shit-show of a movie has going for it are the visuals. That sneering little twerp Johnson has a good eye, or more likely a good cinematographer. It looked nice. That was it. Everything else in it is utter bollocks of the highest order and is nothing but the equivalent of fan-fiction from someone who knows nothing about, and clearly misunderstands, Star Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relikk View Post
    The only thing that shit-show of a movie has going for it are the visuals. That sneering little twerp Johnson has a good eye, or more likely a good cinematographer. It looked nice. That was it. Everything else in it is utter bollocks of the highest order and is nothing but the equivalent of fan-fiction from someone who knows nothing about, and clearly misunderstands, Star Wars.
    If TLJ is pretty fan fiction then TROS fan fiction from an edgy high school sophomore?

I really like these.

Who are the characters here?

Is this official canon or part of the old EU stuff they scrapped?
    Old EU, great grandson of Luke named Cade. Part of a much better story on the fall of Luke's Jedi Order.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If TLJ is pretty fan fiction then TROS fan fiction from an edgy high school sophomore?
    Was one defending the quality of TRoS? Does it being a bad movie change the fact TLJ is a horrible mess of a film?

That being said if you drop edgy from your description of TRoS I would say its fairly accurate on the quality of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Old EU, great grandson of Luke named Cade. Part of a much better story on the fall of Luke's Jedi Order.

- - - Updated - - -

I like this so much more than killing off the entire Skywalker line.. I mean who actually thought this was a good idea and everyone just wanted to be rid of Skywalker?

I don't hate the individual movies for this, but they delivered a killing blow to the franchise because of htis. Future films did not have to focus on the Skywalkers or have them be at the centre, but killing them off and reseting or redoing the whole Empire thing with the first Order and gender swapped heroes just smacks of "this is my vision for Star Wars, that I'm super confident about (after I've told myself that every day in front of the mirror, believing my own crap), and just bulldozed my way, because i'm the boss now, and everyone has to listen to me, and we're doing that..that's it, cos i'm in charge - and any opinions that say otherwise are just trying to undermine my authority.. like a person who has major confidence issues.

Not bad movies individually, as a stand alone independent alternative take, I would say even good. meh, they should have just skipped to after the EU ended, and carried on from there. But they got greedy, they wanted Luke and especially Leia - Leia to star.

I wonder if Carrie Fisher hadn't died, if Leia would have survived.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the only things I liked about TROS was that they killed the Skywalkers. Not that I hate the Skywalkers, love them actually and Anakin is my favorite but killing them and allowing them their legacy to live on through future generations sort of magnifies their importance.

The Skywalkers were birthed by the Force to sort of 'take back' the Force mainly from the Sith and to correct the error that the Jedi had become. If there was a Skywalker walking around then it meant the Force was still in imbalance. They Skywalkers were finally allowed to rest by the end of TROS with everything they accomplished living on through Rey (that's the sort of lame part).

Well, it also had the idea of making Rey a nobody. I get that JJ tried having a background where she could be anyone and that caused people to build their own head canon to who she is. The issue is that JJ banked on nostalgia and ‘member-berries and didn’t do anything of his own to expand on them.
    Johnson tried taking that idea and making it into something. I personally wasn’t huge on it since JJ tried have an allusion to her being someone, but since he left it open ended Johnson did what he wanted to and it isn’t necessarily all bad when you consider the implications.
    Other things do the movie were terrible. The spacecraft suddenly having fuel and being a problem, the entire Poe/Finn/Rose side quest that only existed because they wanted to fill time (honestly it makes no sense that Poe wasn’t told the plan), the complete insult to Phasma’s character treatment, on top of how she is the only one with blaster deflecting armor.
    The list goes on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might rewatche all 3 movies of this series today... And perhaps tomorrow.

ON-Topic:
    From all the 3 movies, i have to say the one i liked most was IX, i was so surprised at the beggining when the supervillain returnes (not spoilling him), i did enjoyed the movie a lot. The one i most disliked was VIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Might rewatche all 3 movies of this series today... And perhaps tomorrow.

ON-Topic:
    From all the 3 movies, i have to say the one i liked most was IX, i was so surprised at the beggining when the supervillain returnes (not spoilling him), i did enjoyed the movie a lot. The one i most disliked was VIII.
    I liked IX the most too, and relaly like VIII, didn't like VII as much, but maybe cos the twist was spoilt.. I still hate that they just remade the originals with gender swaps, and still hate that they made all of 1-6 seem to count for nothing, by eliminating the Skywalkers, it sounds like some twisted shit you know those people who just hate good things happening or love soul crushing dreams - like it was targeted at males, and crushing their icons, to replace them with oh so superior female power - go Rey, go Leia, the force is female.

I also felt aesthetically it was a huge let down from 1-3, as well as fight scene wise. While force powers got interesting later on (I tried not to think about it), I really expected more from a huge galaxy with advanced civilziations that yet more deserts and swaps with broken down accomodation, and I expected they'd at least try to make the fighting look really cool. This stood out for me from Episode 1, it was so much cooler than 4-6, and 2 and 3 took all that stuff up a notch, yet 7-9 was like seriously - this i what you do with a billion dollar franchise.. you have got to be kidding me.

While their plot seemed more nuanced and more in it than 1-6, all that could be done with a much cheaper movie, and they get little credit from me for redoing a storythat has already been told in the same franchise.

So individually, I had fun, enjoyed it, as part of the star wars legacy, quite disappointing, the movies actually decreased my life for star wars, and I almost didn't watch episode Ix, though I'm kinda glad id id.. maybe they banked on guys like me buying a ticket just to finish it off.

What confuses me is who thought it woudl be a good idea to piss on all the males and what they had held up via the skywalkers by literally killing off every achievement and victory by the reset to the first order (and then making Luke such a failure, as if to emphasise, Rey, is female and so much better at this than you... when the bulk of your fanbase and driving engine for Star Wars is male. Most girls I know are into star wars because of their boyfriends, dads or male cousins, the only girls who are into it independently are very boyish girls, and you can tell because they dress like boys, play with boys toys and traditional do things like guys do..

In my experience, most of the serious idolisers of star wars are all male, the laser swords, the blasters, the toy vehicles and action figures, spaceships etc.. it's like some not very bright person, thought they would do away with the male leads and demolish their accomplishments to replace with females and everyone would like it.

And the obvious thing is, you could have had a strong and great female character and focus without knocking down the males.

Luke - ends up a failure, his academy failed, his victory over the empire, failed, everything he did, failed
    Hans - dead beat dad, abandons his son, abandons his wife, fails
    Kylo - emo jerk son, issues and complexes galore, and ofc a woman has to save him, but he dies anyway, cos he's male and has skywalker blood
    Finn - usessl, under-utilised, minimised, for what Finn could have represented, what he actually turned out to be was almost as if, someone said I don't like you, I'm writing you down.
    Poe - The male token, he seemed to appear to me the character we'll let the guys have, but he'll not be too major or important though, not after our female ensemble

It made billions, but not in the way you'd like, and not what you'd expect star wars to command, it also had a huge backlash on the franchise that the Solo movie paid the price and the general disinterest in star wars post them actually revealed, a lot of people losing interest.

In comes the Mandalorian, where it seems that someone understands the language I speak - maybe it's cos I'm male, maybe it's because there are certain thigns I've come to expect love about star wars, that seemed missing in its soul in 7-9

i think that's the best way to describe it.. the soul of star wars wasn't in 7-9 , it was like a souless remake. It had a good plot, it had all the entertaining punch lines, executed well for a copy of 4-6 in a way you wish 4-6 had been done, but despite all that, it lacked the soul and marvel of what Star Wars had been.

I think I only ever read 1 EU book, and it was one based in the pre-quel timeline, but even I felt it was silly to scrap the EU and re-write it.

Whoever was responsible for the vision direction of the new start wars - that person got it VERY WRONG, and I think has killed one of the worlds biggest idols - I don't know why they did it, and why no one seemed to stop or warn that person this wouldn't be good. Good movie, bad franchise addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Well, it also had the idea of making Rey a nobody. I get that JJ tried having a background where she could be anyone and that caused people to build their own head canon to who she is. The issue is that JJ banked on nostalgia and ‘member-berries and didn’t do anything of his own to expand on them.
    Johnson tried taking that idea and making it into something. I personally wasn’t huge on it since JJ tried have an allusion to her being someone, but since he left it open ended Johnson did what he wanted to and it isn’t necessarily all bad when you consider the implications.
    Other things do the movie were terrible. The spacecraft suddenly having fuel and being a problem, the entire Poe/Finn/Rose side quest that only existed because they wanted to fill time (honestly it makes no sense that Poe wasn’t told the plan), the complete insult to Phasma’s character treatment, on top of how she is the only one with blaster deflecting armor.
    The list goes on.
    Just going to focus on the bold part here. The whole Rey being a nobody isn't some crazy new concept because that idea already applies to every Force user on screen other then the Skywalker family. You can't really make something out of that, "Rey is a nobody who can use the force just like 99.999999999% of the force users in the galaxy." If JJ hadn't laid down bread crumbs that her heritage made her "someone" then the revelation that she was "no one" wouldn't have meant a damn thing.

- - - Updated - - -

In comes the Mandalorian, where it seems that someone understands the language I speak - maybe it's cos I'm male, maybe it's because there are certain thigns I've come to expect love about star wars, that seemed missing in its soul in 7-9
    The sad part is The Mandalorian isn't even that good of a show. Its just so much better then the train wreck of the Disney Trilogy that it seems better then it really is.

Am I the only one that thought when the title first came out Rey would build a Grey Jedi order at the end of the movie and named it the Order of Skywalkers or something like that? Imagine my fucking disappointment.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Am I the only one that thought when the title first came out Rey would build a Grey Jedi order at the end of the movie and named it the Order of Skywalkers or something like that? Imagine my fucking disappointment.
    Honestly I'm glad she didn't. She already stole Anakin's legacy. Having her steal Luke's would have made things even worse. They should have come up with a less baity title for the film and scrapped the last scene with Rey on Tatooine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    The sad part is The Mandalorian isn't even that good of a show. Its just so much better then the train wreck of the Disney Trilogy that it seems better then it really is.
    Aye. I somewhat enjoyed it, but they made the mistake of giving him a crutch in the form of a baby Yoda which stifled any character development of what a Mandalorian, and a Mandalorian bounty hunter seemed to represent in Star Wars up to that point, and now he himself, the title character no less, is playing second fiddle to it.

Aye. I somewhat enjoyed it, but they made the mistake of giving him a crutch in the form of a baby Yoda which stifled any character development of what a Mandalorian, and a Mandalorian bounty hunter seemed to represent in Star Wars up to that point, and now he himself, the title character no less, is playing second fiddle to it.
    I couldn't agree more. I hope the baby Yoda is dialed back a little bit in season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    , the complete insult to Phasma’s character treatment, on top of how she is the only one with blaster deflecting armor.
    The list goes on.
    The deleted scene for Phasma is actually really good. I have no idea why they didn't use it.