Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Just call it "collateral damage" American idiots, and then it doesn't matter at all!

Feel for all the animals, sucks for all the people and their homes too of course but still it's worse for the animals like in australia with billions of animals dead.

Same in the amazons.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-09-12 at 10:59 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker...lifornia-fires
    i know its an election year but holy crap these guys will do their grift off ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    i know its an election year but holy crap these guys will do their grift off ANYTHING
    Blaming everything on minorities is a staple of conservatism. I mean they shift between denying climate change to blaming the developing world for on a daily basis, ignoring again that the developed world still puts out 80% of global emissions while containing 20% of its population.

4 gas guzzling pick ups per family is the way to go for WASPs but if an Indian family buys 1 moped, the end is neigh.

Internal consistency has never been a hallmark of the right wing.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-09-13 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Meanwhile.

California Bill Clears Path For Ex-Inmates To Become Firefighters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed a bill allowing inmate firefighters to have their records expunged, clearing the path for them to be eligible for firefighting jobs upon release.

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Assemblywoman Eloise Reyes, lets prisoners who received "valuable training and [placed] themselves in danger assisting firefighters to defend the life and property of Californians" to petition the courts to dismiss their convictions after completing their sentences.

That will make them eligible to receive EMT certification, a hiring requirement of municipal firefighting departments. However, one that former inmates are prohibited by state law to pursue.

"Inmates who have stood on the frontlines, battling historic fires should not be denied the right to later become a professional firefighter," Gov. Newsom said upon signing the bill into law.

"AB 2147 will fix that," Newsom added.

People convicted of violent felonies, including murder, kidnapping and sex offenses are ineligible to fight fires as inmates and therefore also excluded from applying to have their records cleared.

Newsom signed the bill after touring the town of Oroville, part of the North Complex Fire which has burned more than 250,000 acres and is only 23% contained.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's great to hear. I am not that knowledgeable of all the stuff happening there with the fires, but is it true that I have heard, the lack of proper forest management is at least partly responsible with the fires? I know I read that a part of forest fire management is to clear cut some areas which may be more prone to such.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That's great to hear. I am not that knowledgeable of all the stuff happening there with the fires, but is it true that I have heard, the lack of proper forest management is at least partly responsible with the fires? I know I read that a part of forest fire management is to clear cut some areas which may be more prone to such.
    Proper fire management has not been done since "modern" thinking about forests happened.
    Proper fire management = letting small fires happen and burn. Which we haven't for decades, if not centuries. Raking has nothing to do with it.
    - Lars

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Proper fire management has not been done since "modern" thinking about forests happened.
    Proper fire management = letting small fires happen and burn. Which we haven't for decades, if not centuries. Raking has nothing to do with it.
    Well, considering he doesn't know if he heard it (wtf?), maybe he thinks about making forests fire-resistant, maybe make space between the trees large enough that fire can't jump across, or just rake it incidentally getting rid of everything that helps make a forest healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Meanwhile.
    Which is probably the single best thing they can do, could have done, and should have done years ago.

Thousands of trained and experienced firefighters and people who earned this second chance can now actually be rehabilitated and not just get an honest job and but continue serving the community.

It's a fucking shame that it took an apocalyptic calamity for this to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and no.

But this is not a California or US specific problem. Everything from the Brazilian rain forest to the Russian arctic permafrost is burning.

The heatwaves and drought combined with the melting in the arctic is setting the conditions for this.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-09-13 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    But this is not a California or US specific problem. Everything from the Brazilian rain forest to the Russian arctic permafrost is burning.

The heatwaves and drought combined with the melting in the arctic is setting the conditions for this.
    No. It is not a California problem only. It is Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico problems. Sunrise in Denver below. Due to smoke of over a dozen fires. Only half partially contained.

People that talk about forest management have no idea of the magnitude of the task and jurisdictional complication. California has 110M acres of wilderness area (second only to Alaska). To keep the danger of wildfire down, the state needs to do prescribed burn on 20% of the wilderness area each year. That's 20M acres per year. Which is a massive undertaking.

Next we have the jurisdiction issue. Out of that 110M acres, 33M acres are classified as forests. Which range from pine and oak in Southern California to the primeval redwood forest in Northern California and Sierra Nevada. Here is where it get complicated. Out of that 33M acres, Federal agencies (USDA Forest Service, USDI BLM and National Park Service) own and manage 19M acres (57%). Timber companies own 5M acres (14%). Nine million acres are owned by individuals and various tribes. The State only own 3% of the forest in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Theo, posting about fires in cali, while actively working to support someone who doesn't want to help california with their fires. Is there any reconciling the cognitive dissonance?
    We've just got to start raking those forests!

Jesus christ I forgot about that one. It looks like he's sticking to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

After spending all my time indoors since the Valley fire started, I went out to do yardwork this weekend. The property was ankle deep in pine needles and oak leaves that the trees shed when we got hit by triple digit heatwave on Labor Day. My chest is tight this morning from breathing the unfiltered outdoor air. I probably should have stayed inside. Our AQI is 53 right now. Still better than San Diego which is 119 and San Francisco 189.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-09-14 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    After spending all my time indoors since the Valley fire started, I went out to do yardwork this weekend. The property was ankle deep in pine needles and oak leaves that the trees shed when we got hit by triple digit heatwave on Labor Day. My chest is tight this morning from breathing the unfiltered outdoor air. I probably should have stayed inside. Our AQI is 53 right now. Still better than San Diego which is 119 and San Francisco 189.
    Stay inside. 53 is pretty darned good, we've been sitting between 150-200 for the past week and it looks like that'll keep up for a while. I've seen people going out for jogs in this weather and they're absolutely insane.

but is it true that I have heard, the lack of proper forest management is at least partly responsible with the fires? I know I read that a part of forest fire management is to clear cut some areas which may be more prone to such.
    Many are on federal lands, but yes to a point. There should be controlled burns, but folks didn't like the smoke from those so they stopped doing them. It has nothing to do with "cleaning" the forests as one moron has repeatedly said, going out with rakes ain't gonna do shit.

Fires are a normal part of life here, the problem is that the affects of climates changes have made this all much worse. Higher temperatures, more dead brush that's easy to catch and spread fires, less rain and more droughts etc. etc. etc.

Remember the shit that hippie climate change fearmongers warned you about for decades? This is fuckin it, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Stay inside. 53 is pretty darned good, we've been sitting between 150-200 for the past week and it looks like that'll keep up for a while. I've seen people going out for jogs in this weather and they're absolutely insane.

Many are on federal lands, but yes to a point. There should be controlled burns, but folks didn't like the smoke from those so they stopped doing them. It has nothing to do with "cleaning" the forests as one moron has repeatedly said, going out with rakes ain't gonna do shit.

Fires are a normal part of life here, the problem is that the affects of climates changes have made this all much worse. Higher temperatures, more dead brush that's easy to catch and spread fires, less rain and more droughts etc. etc. etc.

Remember the shit that hippie climate change fearmongers warned you about for decades? This is fuckin it, yo.

After swearing that I would never use that overpriced piece of equipment, I have been using my wife's peloton bike. Lol. You can only spent so much time on a roller before your mind goes numb.

- - - Updated - - -

I missed the bolded part. Clear cutting, which used to be common practice in Federal owned forest in the Sierra Nevada up to the 1990s, is BAD. The follow up reforestation ended up creating patches of densely packed, single-species, same-aged, tree plantations with no natural firebreak. The old logging practices have altered a large portion of California native forests, transforming them into simplified forests of same-aged trees with a reduced ecological resilience. These disturbed stands are especially prone to wildfire and mortality due to beetle infestation and disease. It has also caused fragmentation and increased edge effect.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ontrols-2020-9

More of a reminder about how much of CA, specifically forests, are federal lands. The federal government controls about 20x of the forests compared to the state, so if anyone has been remiss about "cleaning" the forests, it's been the federal government who control the vast majority of it.

But the Democratic governor also pointed out that 57% of California's 33 million acres of forest is owned by the federal government. About 40% is privately owned, and just 3% is owned by the state.

"There's no question, when you look past this decade and almost 1,000-plus years, that we have not done justice on our forest management," Newsom said. "But one thing is fundamental, 57% of the land in this state is federal forest land, 3% is California. So we really do need that support."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ontrols-2020-9

More of a reminder about how much of CA, specifically forests, are federal lands. The federal government controls about 20x of the forests compared to the state, so if anyone has been remiss about "cleaning" the forests, it's been the federal government who control the vast majority of it.
    Yeah. Feds own almost 50% of the land in the west. In fact the Feds own 84.9% of the land in Nevada. This was a big factor in the Bundy's standoff.

7+ Year Old Account
    Put all the homeless, crimanals and riote err.... protesters to work raking/sweeping the forests. /s

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/b...ive-media.html

Good news! These fires aren't caused or made worse by global warming, according to conservative media!

Too bad they can't find any scientists to back up this ideological arson. Nevermind that we're literally seeing the effects play out in front of our eyes, making true many of the warnings of scientists decades ago. Let's go to Rush Limbaugh on this -

“Man-made global warming is not a scientific certainty; it cannot be proven, nor has it ever been,”
    See, it cannot be proven true so why even try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    A country reaping what it sowed.
    [Infraction]
    How is this trolling when they are correct?
    100% correct in fact?

This seems like an American moderator in denial of the situation.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/b...ive-media.html

Good news! These fires aren't caused or made worse by global warming, according to conservative media!

Too bad they can't find any scientists to back up this ideological arson. Nevermind that we're literally seeing the effects play out in front of our eyes, making true many of the warnings of scientists decades ago. Let's go to Rush Limbaugh on this -
    There's no reason to think most of the fires are caused by climate change though because they've always been common in California. What you can do is look at 'averages' and say there's 20%(or however much) more fires, but blaming most of them on climate change certainly isn't backed up by science.