Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What were your favourite childhood games?

i really liked Tag and Hop Scotch

At 7yrs old I became fixated on this;

I played the heck out of a game called "Solarquest" which was basically space Monopoly.

Star control 2
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Parcheesi and HeroQuest.

10+ Year Old Account
    We played smeer the ************* without knowing how hurtful the word or the underlying concept of the game was.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Parcheesi and HeroQuest.
    damn I loved HeroQuest.

5+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Driver 3. Loved it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was too poor to have many toys, even a few. We used soda bottles as cars and pretended that say, a pepsi bottle was a chevy. A coke bottle was a ford. Also " root the peg " was another game we often played. Sucked if you where the loser and had to remove a wooden small peg driven into the ground with your teeth.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Monopoly, i always played it with my brother during summer vacanties.

PC:
    I only started using a computer around 16 and that computer wasn't mine, mostly lotus3 with friends.

I f-ing loved board games.

None of the others in my family felt the same, so I don't have any favourites amongst board games... Same with Table Tennis, LOVE it to bits, but nobody ever wanted to play. Boys = I'd win so they would stop after a while. Other girls had no interest to begin with... -_-'

I did however finally find something others wanted to play during the POG-craze. Loved the little circles with pretty designs and playing with others. But then the craze left and I realized that when others claimed to have an interest, they weren't as into it as I was. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Holy shit. I know exactly what you're talking about, but I always thought that was just a local thing invented by the kids at my school. Our version, we'd all stand around a crushed Coke can, and the first one brave enough to grab it had to run without getting dogpiled for as long as possible. Kids who played the game for a long while without ever picking up the can would frequently be taunted.

The school principal eventually made that an official no-no during morning announcements after some kid got hurt (not seriously, but enough that his mom noticed, got pissed, and said something to school administration about it) playing it the day before.

And yeah....I think I was about 12 at the time.
    Yeah, I think there are plenty of local variants with somewhat different rules...but the general concept is usually a bunch of kids ganging up against one kid who, through whatever process the exact variant uses, is "it". Apparently the actual name of the game is "Muckle"...though I never heard it called that on the playgrounds I frequented as a child. Heard it called plenty of other names though... all using the same combination of slur and a word that rhymes with said slur ("smear the XXXXX", "tag the XXX", "slay the XXX"). I must have been living in a more progressive community when I first played the game though... we just called it "Reverse Tag".

Sometimes it is an object on the ground...like your can...and the process of deciding who is "it" is a test of bravery. Sometimes it's something that is thrown into the air and whoever the object lands closest to is declared to be "it". Sometimes the previous person who is "it" can just pick the next contestant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    At 7yrs old I became fixated on this;

https://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/WhichWitchBox.jpg
    Ah, good times, my family had a more recent, localised version of this called Kummituslinna (lit.trs. Ghost Castle, but I guess Haunted Castle is the more common phrase). I was legitimately afraid to play this, since it was so tense. At some point we managed to break it or lose some of the parts or something, which is why I didn't get to tackle it at an older age.

Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Block 1 2 3, British Bull Dogs and Bung if you're talking about playground games.

I liked monopoly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We used to play capture the flag on my block with around 20 kids. One team was on one side of the road in the backyards/woods on that side, the other team was on the other side. My deck and the deck across from our house were used for jails. So much fun, especially since we played at night.
    That sounds a lot like raiders, which I loved.

HeroQuest and Cluedo (what Americans call Clue)

on computer it was Skool Daze, Cliff Hanger and Hover Bother (ZX Spectrum & Commodore 64)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I liked monopoly.
    Two player Monopoly, played in blitz fashion.

Games now have evolved into charades style party games, Pictionary, Articulate and the like. I will participate but I'm not a fan of the modern style games at all. Give me Cluedo, Totopoly any day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yeah, I think there are plenty of local variants with somewhat different rules...but the general concept is usually a bunch of kids ganging up against one kid who, through whatever process the exact variant uses, is "it". Apparently the actual name of the game is "Muckle"...though I never heard it called that on the playgrounds I frequented as a child. Heard it called plenty of other names though... all using the same combination of slur and a word that rhymes with said slur ("smear the XXXXX", "tag the XXX", "slay the XXX"). I must have been living in a more progressive community when I first played the game though... we just called it "Reverse Tag".

Sometimes it is an object on the ground...like your can...and the process of deciding who is "it" is a test of bravery. Sometimes it's something that is thrown into the air and whoever the object lands closest to is declared to be "it". Sometimes the previous person who is "it" can just pick the next contestant.
    We had "The Gob Pit". Kids would throw coins into the pit at the bottom of the steps leading into the bike sheds. Anyone who went to fetch the coins would be gobbed on from the overhanging balcony. Usually what eventually happened was that the school tough kid would go fetch them and nobody dared stop him.

i didnt particulary enjoy this kind of games - maybe monopoly .

for me childhood was all about playing LEGO im gratefull to my parents for buys so many sets still keep all of them in basement for my kids :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Shoots and Ladders
    Candy Land
    Uno
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis