View Poll Results: Can you take the Jailor serious, as the long term villain of SL ?

Voters
289. This poll is closed
  • Yes

199 68.86%
  • No

90 31.14%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think he has a really silly visual design - something out of the XTREME 90s, maybe - but as long as his motivations and personality are interesting, that doesn't matter so much to me.

Anything that isnt W3 related will never has the same impact. They need to release a W4 somehow to create some lore to make it interesting

Sure.

I'm a Cata baby. I don't have the sort of everlasting hard-on for the RTS lore of old Warcraft that some people seem to, and honestly? On a personal level, I'm so glad that I don't. If that's the sort of shit that makes it difficult to get into the story of the newer expansions, then thank God I'm not an older player. I'm totally fine with taking the stories of these expansion as they come, and not having to suffer from the mindset of "Well, it's no Illidan or Arthas..."

So I'll happily take the Jailer as seriously as he's presented to us.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Utterly amazed on how people can try to argue a point about this before the expansion is even out.

Before more of the story is revealed past the initial launch patch.

Before we know virtually any fucking backstory to anything going on passed "oh noes, anima drought and Maw is eating all the shit!"

Kind of sad really.

As to the question, based on the leaked picture of a more realistic looking version of the Jailer, yes I can take him seriously. He is, after all, positioned as the primary antagonist of the expansion. A more realistic viewing of him further cements him looking evil and up to no good.
    If you look at the poll and remove the obvious trolls(some have already presented themselves in this thread) it looks about 85% for. Which is fine. There is no reason not to take him seriously from what we know
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    You should take into account that Cata was the last expansion when it was clear who will be the last boss of the expansion. So I would not be surprised if Jailer would be handled in some form or another in 9.2.
    Well the last time we knew who was the last boss was MOP cause they announced it way ahead of MOP release. They also told us Grommash would be the final boss of WOD, which i believed to be true till they abandoned the xpac and crammed the bosses planned for the shattrath raid into HFC.

On Topic : Yes i can definitely take the Jailor as a villain for the xpac. Heck i'd prefer it honestly. If They focus on the Jailor as the major villian then that could allow them to introduce new minor/moderate threats and build a new big bad for future xpacs. In my opinion they need to focus on new lore/threats instead of focusing on WC2 and WC3 for everything.

Just the feeling i get, especially from the Afterlives shorts, but i think the Jailor was someone who kept the 4 leaders of the covenant in check in some way.

too early to tell, we'll see how well he's built up during the expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    From his original concept art, he looked like some wizened ancient regal being which could have been interesting to explore. He didn't look like a straight up evil villain and the oddness of the Shadowlands system "machine of death" could have opened up some turnabout story telling. Maybe he was actually the King/leader of death at one point and being chucked in the Maw by these four greedy covenants who wanted all the anima which is why there is such an intense focus on them over other realms of the dead.

Then they made him a buff prison body builder branded with tats and a big ole rune stuck on his head and decked out in chains as if it was a style/fashion choice rather than actually being bound but at least his visage was somewhat menacing. Then it turns out he doesn't really do a lot about people who invade his zone except stare at them increasingly aggressively till he sends some goons to shoo you away, he can't keep a handle on most prisoners that end up in his realm or actively doesn't seem to care about jailing them really and then when I heard his first Voice Over lines he just sounds like a generic big bad guy who wants to smash and crash and eat babies. That PC Gamer cover didn't help as they made his face thicker, gave him orc jaw and look more ogre-ish and gormless as a result. I can't take this guy seriously.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I would if he had some spotlight before. However, there is still chance that I will love him after I go through the entire story.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

The main villain could be a gray block with a moustache on a revolving chair and it wouldn't change a thing for me during the game.

Take him seriously? Sure. But will there be much emotional investment? Probably not much, because there was literally zero foreshadowing of his existence at all. Illidan wasn't a solid overarching villain in TBC because he had no presence in the world at all, we only knew of him through WC3 and quest dialogue. Arthas was huge in WotLK cause he popped up everywhere while leveling and we knew of him before the expanion. Same with Deathwing though on a much smaller scale for Cata.

Jailer boy though literally comes out of nowhere, so even if he supposedly was connected to the lore via things like "he's the one that manipulated getting this and that into azeroth in the first place!" that all comes after the fact and seems retconned in (because it is) and so the emotional impact is significantly less. It also depends on what kind of use we see of him in the intro since we're apparently going to be thrown into the Maw and escape, so if he plays a big visual role there like Arthas did in WOTLK leveling then that might build up a tension relationship that can carry through our activities in the expansion as a whole in the leadup to the confrontation.

TLDR: maybe, but its all in the execution.

I really wonder if he's a villain at all. I mean we're going to kill/stop him but it'll prolly be all part of the Void's plan or something and we were blind to it. Big reveal at the end with Sylvanas surviving leading us against both the Light and Void next expansion. Turalyon is so being set up as a bad guy along with Alleria.

I don't think he is scary at all

I find Bwonsamdi, Ice Queen or most of other chars more frightening than "the Jailer"
    I mean come on, he is jailed, he must suck if he let himself be jailed...

And this name - "The Jailer" sounds like someone who takes care of school or smth
    Big nono, I'm gonna slap his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey folks,

after reading the thread with the actual Gamer cover, i am just curious, what the MMOC crowd thinks. So here is a poll.

Can you take the Jailor (in his current form, what we know so far) serious, as the „big xpac villain“, long term, over the full time span SL lasts (lets say 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3, when we look at the last 2 xpacs) ?

Means: Can you take him as around same serious, as, lets say Arthas in WotlK, or Deathwing in Cata, etc ? The big bad villain, overshadowing everything in SL, while you progress up towards him, to finally destroy this massive threat in the final patch.

Does this work for you ? Can you take „the Jailor“ serious, in that picture ?

So, vote.
    We literally know barely anything about him and you want people to make a judgment based off that? You are also assuming that we will be ending his massive threat. It's the Shadowlands where things go to die plus they have been feeding on souls for awhile. This could be the expansion where we don't "win" per say by defeating him and only slowing down / fixing the process somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    I find Bwonsamdi, Ice Queen or most of other chars more frightening than "the Jailer"
    I would not be surprised if that would happen: we will find out that Jailer is the "good guy" (though not necessarily in the conventional sense, so I would not expect him to be a hero. But more like how the Reaper Man is a "good guy" in Discworld) and every other covenant leaders are the bad guys.

Yeah, I guess I can.

It could have been worse. He could have been:

The Sailor

I very much dislike his new look compared to old one, hes just a blue human now. Blizzard can't even make a unique animation rig for the "main" villain of the expansion smh. Why do almost all of wows villains got to be big buff dudes.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I can take the Jailer seriously until Blizzard gives me a reason not to. I enjoy meeting new characters and am fully willing to give them a chance without preconceived notions about what they should and shouldn't be.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the guy would get some lore he might feel less like a random dude, but right now he feels like rawr me smash tiny human because I am big.

Hopefully he has some serious story to tell...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan4893 View Post
    I very much dislike his new look compared to old one, hes just a blue human now. Blizzard can't even make a unique animation rig for the "main" villain of the expansion smh. Why do almost all of wows villains got to be big buff dudes.
    Yea the model we saw with the beard was super epic, do we know for sure they ditched that idea? Or he might super sayin up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    I don't think he is scary at all

I mean come on, he is jailed, he must suck if he let himself be jailed...

And this name - "The Jailer" sounds like someone who takes care of school or smth
    Big nono, I'm gonna slap his ass
    Ye like the guy just has a set of keys and walks around lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Ye like the guy just has a set of keys and walks around lol
    For he is... the... JANITOR! Am I right?

I'll show myself out...

15+ Year Old Account
    Design-wise, I feel like he just needs some spiky pauldrons and a big mantle with some chains hanging from it or something, so he cuts a more intimidating figure.

Literally just a low effort copy and paste in MS Paint using pieces of his armor and pants and I feel like it already looks more dangerous and regal.