View Poll Results: Can you take the Jailor serious, as the long term villain of SL ?

Voters
289. This poll is closed
  • Yes

199 68.86%
  • No

90 31.14%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I wish I could, but I am afraid Blizzard will take his spotlight away, when they dangerously de-rail the expansion's theme in the last patch like they did with Legion and BfA and we'll get some Light vs. Shadow bullshit patch for 9.3

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    For he is... the... JANITOR! Am I right?

I'll show myself out...
    you can call it that yea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Design-wise, I feel like he just needs some spiky pauldrons and a big mantle with some chains hanging from it or something, so he cuts a more intimidating figure.

Literally just a low effort copy and paste in MS Paint using pieces of his armor and pants and I feel like it already looks more dangerous and regal.
    I agree, I would even go far as giving him a dark cowl covering hes eyes for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    For he is... the... JANITOR! Am I right?

I'll show myself out...
    That was amazing lol, thank you!

7+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizzard don't think it, cause instead of putting him as a character on the SL box, its Lich King instead xD

The Jailor lacks identity, a unique identity, cause right now, he is just more evil lich king, that is all.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey folks,

after reading the thread with the actual Gamer cover, i am just curious, what the MMOC crowd thinks. So here is a poll.

Can you take the Jailor (in his current form, what we know so far) serious, as the „big xpac villain“, long term, over the full time span SL lasts (lets say 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3, when we look at the last 2 xpacs) ?

Means: Can you take him as around same serious, as, lets say Arthas in WotlK, or Deathwing in Cata, etc ? The big bad villain, overshadowing everything in SL, while you progress up towards him, to finally destroy this massive threat in the final patch.

Does this work for you ? Can you take „the Jailor“ serious, in that picture ?

So, vote.
    About as seriously as I can take Arthas' Saturday morning cartoon villain ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    If the guy would get some lore he might feel less like a random dude, but right now he feels like rawr me smash tiny human because I am big.

Hopefully he has some serious story to tell...

- - - Updated - - -

Yea the model we saw with the beard was super epic, do we know for sure they ditched that idea? Or he might super sayin up?

- - - Updated - - -

Ye like the guy just has a set of keys and walks around lol

I want to see the model un "silhouetted" they used for that announcement cinematic because that definitely was a 3D model there using their original idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    He's gigantic, he's crazy powerful, he looks suitably menacing and he has ties to existing characters that go as far back (in WoW as a game) as Wrath of the Lich King.

Yeah, I can take him seriously just fine - just need to take out Sylvanas along the way to him.
    I agree, but also disagree.

Yeah he looks dope, but IMO they humanized his look too much. He's almost as human-like as the Kyrian, and we need to remember that humans are (as far as we know) a race unique to Azeroth. They had to create his character from scratch, and with how vast the Shadowlands are (since they are related to the whole universe) him looking like evil human with a few additional features here and there is a bit disappointing.

We also don't really know the scope of his power. Is he powerful strictly because he's using the Maw magic? Is he making the Maw stronger? What exactly can he do? So far all we've seen is his tries in making small cracks here and there, it's mostly his servants that are carrying that power.

I think because he's a new character with no previous background, in a realm that we also don't know much about, it's hard to describe how powerful he is, which is pretty much opposite of what we've had in other expanion packs. Kil'jaeden, Lich King, Deathwing, Garrosh (yeah... at least he was powered up by old god juice), Archimonde, N'zoth - if you're interested in the lore, you can more or less imagine what power each character wields. Argus was a bit harder, but him being a titan made it easier to imagine. The Jailer though? No idea and we have nothing to compare him to, nothing to base our predictions besides "but it's afterlive and it's WoW's hell". And honestly, that makes it pretty difficult to await the culmination of the expansion, if you don't really know what to except. Like, at all.

Can you take anything serious in WoW? WC3 lore was pretty ok accidentally. Everything after that was more like bad Tumblr fanfiction. Blizzard themselves said at one point that lore is not a priority for them.

Thats probably the reason I dont hate MoP like many other people do. The lore was gargabe as always but the gameplay was superb.

As of right now? Nope. That is the problem with someone freshly made up just for this expansion.
    Though that CGI looks kinda more impressive than the ingame model (if not a bit on the generic side...),.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you can.

If people could take Archimonde seriously in Warcraft 3, people can take the Jailer seriously. He just needs a moment to impact. Archimonde had his little sandcastle scene - what will the Jailer do?

Every villain begins at the zero. Even Arthas.

The Jailor is boring.

1. He has no personality.
    2. His backstory is kept a secret.

He's like a blank slate. I have honestly no idea what to think of him. He is the worst end game boss of any xpac so far. They couldn't have written him worse. They might as well have put an empty box as end game villain.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    I agree, but also disagree.

Yeah he looks dope, but IMO they humanized his look too much. He's almost as human-like as the Kyrian, and we need to remember that humans are (as far as we know) a race unique to Azeroth. They had to create his character from scratch, and with how vast the Shadowlands are (since they are related to the whole universe) him looking like evil human with a few additional features here and there is a bit disappointing.
    I can agree with the sentiment, but there are some holes in your points.

Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes are created by Titans originally, explaining their Human form. Orcs are even from Aggramar, and lack their perfect Human form though.
    As you said, the Kyrian's are extremely Human-Looking, but these aren't from Azeroth anyways. Humans aren't native to Azeroth though, and the Titans themselves, which Azeroth is one, DO take on Humanoid forms.

Just to round up, then there are Elves. Without the long ears, they'd look like angular Humans. These races are native to Azeroth, but we know that it was the WoE that transformed Trolls into the more Humanoid form of Elves.

It's very likely the Jailer's humanoid form will be one of the explaining factors in why these Humanoid forms are Baselines throughout the WoW Cosmos.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Of course you can.

If people could take Archimonde seriously in Warcraft 3, people can take the Jailer seriously. He just needs a moment to impact. Archimonde had his little sandcastle scene - what will the Jailer do?

Every villain begins at the zero. Even Arthas.
    Not to mention he's already indirectly burst the Sky above Icecrown apart. Jailer 1 - Azeroth 0
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Yes I do.

Can't wait to see him in the game.

i couldnt care less about lore and would fight a raid full of soulless target dummies if they dropped loot

15+ Year Old Account
    I like him.
    Hope he is arround like LK in wotlk.
    He's dark, he's strong, he's thicc.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Yeah, I guess I can.

It could have been worse. He could have been:

The Sailor
    *Slow Clap*

This is my kind of humor.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

He looks awesome but I haven't seen a lot of him in the game so I don't know what he's like as a character. So far my impression is that he's very 2-dimensional.

- - - Updated - - -

Design-wise, I feel like he just needs some spiky pauldrons and a big mantle with some chains hanging from it or something, so he cuts a more intimidating figure.

Literally just a low effort copy and paste in MS Paint using pieces of his armor and pants and I feel like it already looks more dangerous and regal.
    I thought he was supposed to look like he just broke out of jail, I'm certain he's going to have more armor later. Why else would he have broken chains hanging from him?
    Last edited by HitRefresh; 2020-09-13 at 09:54 PM.

the fact that this picture looks intimidating on atleast 2 more levels to me, and you said you just used MS Paint to make it tells something about blizzard.

dude just jumped from boss of a dungeon to the major boss of a raid with your edit on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Yes I do.

Can't wait to see him in the game.
    picture of burger on menu VS the real burger I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    tells something about blizzard.
    That people have different opinions on what looks good or cool?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Nope .

come out of nowhere ? check

Boring old "destroy everything " motivations ? check

lame an uninspired design ? check

have done nothing of shock or value to even hype things up a bit ? check .

i really can't see how anyone can take this thing seriously .