Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Well, since you said we can count series as 1 entry...

Top 10 Sci-fi:

Predator(first 3, Predator 2 and Predators aren't perfect but I enjoyed them, after that, not so much)
    Terminator(1-2 only)
    Alien/Aliens
    Star Trek(specifically 2, 4, 6, 8)
    Tremors(just the 1st movie)
    Blade Runner
    Godzilla(Heisei-era in particular but I enjoy stuff from all of it)
    The Abyss
    The MCU
    The Matrix(original)

Top 10 Fantasy:

LotR trilogy
    Conan the Barbarian
    Excalibur
    Solomon Kane
    Brotherhood of the Wolf(Le Pacte des Loupes)
    Princess Mononoke
    Golden Voyage of Sinbad
    Jason and the Argonauts
    Clash of the Titans(original)
    Ladyhawke

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantasy

Labyrinth
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Legend
    Krull
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Never Ending Story
    Dragonheart
    Excalibur (Still the best movie to portray the King Arthur legend)
    Dragonslayer
    Clash of the Titans (Original although the remake is pretty good)

Sci-fi

Fifth Element
    Source Code
    Donnie Darko
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Alien
    Westworld (1973)
    Blade Runner
    The Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Back to the Future Trilogy (Yes the whole thing)
    Demolition Man
    Tremors

I am aware I never put star Wars on the Sci-fi list but thats because I always looked as the franchise as being overrated even as a man who grew up when the originals came out. They never clicked with me.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-09-13 at 12:24 PM.

Top 10 Sci-fi
    Star Wars; A New Hope
    Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back (the only Star Wats movies that deserve mention)
    Matrix (the sequels don't exist)
    Alien and Aliens
    Back to the Future

...to be continued

Top 10 Fantasy
    Willow
    Ladyhawke
    Stardust (too charming and fun a romance)

...too ne continued

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Fantasy

Labyrinth
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Legend
    Krull
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Never Ending Story
    Dragonheart
    Excalibur (Still the best movie to portray the King Arthur legend)
    Dragonslayer
    Clash of the Titans (Original although the remake is pretty good)

Sci-fi

Fifth Element
    Source Code
    Donnie Darko
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Alien
    Westworld (1973)
    Blade Runner
    The Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Back to the Future Trilogy (Yes the whole thing)
    Demolition Man
    Tremors

I am aware I never put star Wars on the Sci-fi list but thats because I always looked as the franchise as being overrated even as a man who grew up when the originals came out. They never clicked with me.
    Don't think I've seen Dragonheart/Dragonslayer, Source Code, Demolition Man and Tremors, or Krull - what can you tell me about them and why you liked em so much, what sort of fantasy/sci-fi are they (without spoiling plot) pros and cons too?

Not much into fantasy so in no particular order:

2001: Space odyssey
    2010: The year we make contact
    Solaris ( the Tarkovski's one)
    Arrival
    Moon
    Primer
    The Andromeda Strain
    Blade Runner
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Alien
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    , Demolition Man and Tremors, or Krull - what can you tell me about them and why you liked em so much, what sort of fantasy/sci-fi are they (without spoiling plot) pros and cons too?
    Demolition Man-Cop Sylvester Stallone is found guilty of a crime, alongside mega criminal Wesley Snipes, and both are sentenced to a cryo-prison. Years later, society has become a super peaceful "utopia" and Snipes is woken up, but the "reconditioning" program didn't do what it was supposed to and now he has been given enhanced combat skills, weapons training, explosives expertise, etc and is essentially even more dangerous than when he went in. And the police, for whom a SPEEDING TICKET is now considered a major crime, are totally in over their head. So they wake up Stallone to catch him again. It's an action comedy, with Stallone having to adapt to the new society(profanity is punishable by a fine) while also having to deal with the over the top antics of Snipes. Stallone is partnered with another cop played by Sandra Bullock, and it has a supporting cast of recognizable faces(Dennis Leary, Benjamin Bratt, Bob Gunton, Rob Schneider, and even a small appearance by Jesse Ventura).

Tremors-A small desert town is terrorized by an unknown creature or creatures, and it's up to 2 handymen, played by Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, to help the townspeople survive. Despite the sci-fi-horror premise(and there is some legitimate suspense), it also has a strong comedic element and a lot of the dialogue is quite funny, with quite a few memorable/quotable lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Top 10 Sci-fi
    Star Wars; A New Hope
    Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back (the only Star Wats movies that deserve mention)
    Matrix (the sequels don't exist)
    Alien and Aliens
    Back to the Future

...to be continued

Top 10 Fantasy
    Willow
    Ladyhawke
    Stardust (too charming and fun a romance)

...too ne continued
    To add;
    Sci-Fi
    Fantastic Voyage (1966)
    Alita; Battle Angel (for reasons that annoy me)

Fantasy
    Dark Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Fantasy
    Dark Crystal
    I came here just for this. Bless your soul.

Also, Pan's Labyrinth. My favorite movie across all genres.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'm not going to make a list but I'll give a couple of recommendations.

I Am Mother (2019)
    Just a solid sci-fi movie. It looks and sounds great, and has a very genuine, unpretentious and highly intelligent way of exploring the AI debate that most people who were a student in recent years are familiar with. Very few people watched this, so I like bringing this movie to people's attention.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    (2001)
    Hard to describe a perfect movie. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
    Hard to consider Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a perfect movie when you compare it to Ip Man, which is definitively better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sci-fi:

Akira
    Aliens
    Blade Runner 2049
    District 9
    Ex Machina
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Pacific Rim
    Robocop (1987)
    The Fly (1986)
    The Matrix

Fantasy:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Clash of the Titans (1981)
    Conan the Barbarian
    Dragonslayer
    Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
    The Dark Crystal
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Princess Bride
    Thor: Ragnarok

Honorable mention to Star Wars: Episode V-The Empire Strikes Back and Army of Darkness
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hard to consider Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a perfect movie when you compare it to Ip Man, which is definitively better.
    It was a tough call, but after careful deliberation and tabulation I have to stand by my decision to give the perfection edge to CTHD.

I don't really have a Top 10, list for both Per Say, but I especially love when they cross over. I am pretty easy to please when It comes to movies so there are several I love that others Hate or don't even know about.

Sci-Fi-
    Star Wars- All are Good, but I Rate Episode 1 top followed by ROS 2nd.
    The new Star Trek movies I loved them all
    Equilibrium
    I am Legend
    Matrix Films
    John Carter

Fantasy-
    Lord Of the Rings (All)
    Loved The Warcraft Movie
    Stardust is a great movie
    Bright on Netflix was great and underrated (had a very Shadow Run Feel to it)

I like Movies that are pretty simple I am a basic Action junkie so I love John Wick style movies and get into many of the modern movies over older movies. I don't really like the first 3 star wars films because the outdated effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    In no particular order:

Sci Fi - The Abyss, Aliens, Contact, The Last Star Fighter, Terminator 2, Star Wars Saga, Interstellar, Ready Player One, Avatar, Matrix Trilogy

Fantasy - Hobbit Trilogy, Rings Trilogy (obviously), Harry Potter Saga, Highlander, Willow, Conan the Barbarian, Sucker Punch, Stardust, Clash/Wrath of the Titans, The Prestige

And those lists will probably change next month, and again after that.....love movies, favourites change depending on mood etc.

Hmm...

SciFi:
    BTTF
    Jurassic Park
    Event Horizon (I'm going to count this as WH40k since there aren't any "movies")
    Stargate
    Star Trek
    5th Element
    Terminator 1+2 (rumor has it there are more movies, but I don't think they exist)
    Contact
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Mad Max
    Rocky Horror Picture Show (fuck it, this is 11)
    Cowboy Bebop (and 12)

This was actually a tough list to make when I really started considering what's SciFi, I removed Star Wars from it for 5th Element. Mainly it came down to if I was searching through netflix or something, what would I be more likely to watch, and I can name a ton more things I'd add before most star wars, outside of Rogue 1 maybe.

Fantasy:
    Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings
    Never Ending Story
    Bright (I enjoyed this quite a bit and I wish we would get more, by better writers)
    King Kong
    Godzilla (the new series makes it self fantasy to me)
    Princess Bride
    Highlander
    OG Clash of the Titans
    Jason and the Argonauts
    Labyrinth
    Dark Crystal
    Pirates of the Caribbean

There is a lot I could keep naming.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2020-09-14 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'm not going to make a list but I'll give a couple of recommendations.

(2001)
    Hard to describe a perfect movie. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
    Second this recommendation. I probably like this movie more most people; it's pretty damn close to flawless. And I'm not usually someone who is into foreign films. It's just beautiful.

I'll add a few recommendations:

TV series:

1. Firefly (tragically short series). Followed up by the film Serenity. But watch the series first before the film.
    2. Battlestar Galactica: Probably the only TV series that i'd call a masterpiece, even if there are a few things I didn't like in some story arcs; underappreciated imo.
    3. The Witcher on Netflix. Love this.

Lost first season is pretty much flawless TV as well. Too bad its quality decreased every season to the point of almost unwatchable. You can watch several episodes where pretty much nothing happens and some of the story arcs are painfully bad; so it's a bit difficult to recommend it. But that first season, epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Second this recommendation. I probably like this movie more most people; it's pretty damn close to flawless. And I'm not usually someone who is into foreign films. It's just beautiful.
    If you want a *beautiful* movie in that genre, I still think Hero with Jet Li is a better movie in that regard.....if you can ignore the blatant pro-China propaganda.

Edit: In re: BSG, I think the most heartbreaking arc in that was with Dee. I didn't not see what happened to her coming, and it gutted me.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If you want a *beautiful* movie in that genre, I still think Hero with Jet Li is a better movie in that regard.....if you can ignore the blatant pro-China propaganda.

Edit: In re: BSG, I think the most heartbreaking arc in that was with Dee. I didn't not see what happened to her coming, and it gutted me.
    Thanks for the suggestion; I actually never saw Hero so I'll check it out. BSG, is just filled with heartbreak, tragedy and twists that I just ate up and feeling speechless at times... now i need to go re-watch it.

Sci-Fi in no particular order:

1. Elysium
    2. Life
    3. 10 Cloverfield Lane
    4. The Martian (although this one is the favourite)
    5. The Cloverfield Paradox (fuck the haters)
    6. The Mist (Stephen King movie adaptation by Frank Darabont)
    7. Alien movies up to Covenant, couldn't stand that one. I even enjoy Alien 4 thanks to Michael Wincott.
    8. Edge of Tomorrow
    9. Matrix
    10. Upgrade

Fantasy:

1. The Lord of The Rings
    2. The Witcher, not a movie but still
    3. Mad Max...? Yep, it showed up when I searched Fantasy on Netflix.

And the rest is blank. Can't think of any more fantasy movies, unless many movies I love are considered fantasy and I just don't realize.