Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hate ticktok so much,my 10 year nieces are obsessed with watching it, so I would be glad if it’s banned in Canada.
    Not on Facebook much myself so wouldn’t care if they banned that either

Banning an app sounds an awful lot like something China would do.

I mean, TikTok is basically glorified spyware for the Chinese government. But becoming China to beat China feels like we've jumped the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Also... even if it -was- spyware for the Chinese government, something that isn't even proven, but let's assume it was, banning the App would only be a completely pointless tiny bandaid on a much larger wound. You'd need to find a structural solution, eg. prevent new apps from popping up that might collect personal data.

Banning corporations from mass-harvesting personal data, now that is something I'd be in favor for.
    Indeed giving Americans strong privacy protection would basically solve this but this isn't about privacy or national security just Trump's tiny ego being hurt by tik tokers.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    TikTok needs to be banned and so do products by Riot Games and the Epic Games Store. All are backed with CCP spyware. Valorant released with rootkit level spyware that still exists in the game, yet idiots are playing it. If you work for a government and have anything that is attached to Tencent on your computer or phone, you could be putting yourself and your country at risk to the CCP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    TikTok needs to be banned and so do products by Riot Games and the Epic Games Store. All are backed with CCP spyware. Valorant released with rootkit level spyware that still exists in the game, yet idiots are playing it. If you work for a government and have anything that is attached to Tencent on your computer or phone, you could be putting yourself and your country at risk to the CCP.
    If instead of regulating every app that steall data you want to them, you'll get a way longer list than just the ones China invested in.

But yeah, the people who just want to play games while not caring about the meaningless(to them) data being farmed are clearly idiots... Having fun, how dare they.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    TikTok is pretty much Chinese spyware people install on their devices. Scanning your clipboard is the least it does.
    for a second i thought you were describing android and apple operating systems.....

but ya..tiktok is the problem...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is a good point. And Facebook and YouTube, are run by some very rich politically active people. Who certainly lean toward a certain political affiliation.
    why does your president and his administration hate the 1st amendment so much?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    lol... so nsa is fine?
    When has whataboutism ever helped? And one bad thing does not excuse others, usually.
    P.S.
    Rennadrel, can you actually prove anything you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    When has whataboutism ever helped? And one bad thing does not excuse others, usually.
    P.S.
    Rennadrel, can you actually prove anything you said?
    I mean, yeah, but it was all over the Internet news back in April. Valorant's anti-cheat is a rootkit (similar to the last iteration of the Denuvo that was used in Doom Eternal before id removed it due to backlash). But they only changed it so it could be disabled when the game isn't running after Riot publicly got their asses torn open for it, the fact is that it still exists on your system, doesn't prevent people from cheating and still has access to the root of your system.

Here's the updated story on Valorant which includes the information that was released several days after the initial report on disabling the anti-cheat: https://www.ign.com/articles/valoran...re-not-playing

Tencent holds a 100% ownership in Riot Games, and I think that alone is reason enough to be suspect of using their products. Sure, it might be irrational, but it's understandable why some people would be concerned. I have friends who work in various levels of the Canadian government, they are not allowed to have ANY software with ties back to Tencent stored on their computers, whether they be personal or work computers (apparently this is a requirement from the Canadian federal government). There are security concerns with the Epic Games Store that have been noted for well over a year now as far as the potential for hackers to break into the program.

I mean, yeah, but it was all over the Internet news back in April. Valorant's anti-cheat is a rootkit (similar to the last iteration of the Denuvo that was used in Doom Eternal before id removed it due to backlash). But they only changed it so it could be disabled when the game isn't running after Riot publicly got their asses torn open for it, the fact is that it still exists on your system, doesn't prevent people from cheating and still has access to the root of your system.

Here's the updated story on Valorant which includes the information that was released several days after the initial report on disabling the anti-cheat: https://www.ign.com/articles/valoran...re-not-playing

Tencent holds a 100% ownership in Riot Games, and I think that alone is reason enough to be suspect of using their products. Sure, it might be irrational, but it's understandable why some people would be concerned. I have friends who work in various levels of the Canadian government, they are not allowed to have ANY software with ties back to Tencent stored on their computers, whether they be personal or work computers (apparently this is a requirement from the Canadian federal government). There are security concerns with the Epic Games Store that have been noted for well over a year now as far as the potential for hackers to break into the program.
    I have some bad news for you almost every piece of software including your ISP is spying on you that's because America's privacy laws are non existent. So banning or being weary of the Chinese government is meaningless because American companies are selling everyone's data to the highest bidders with no limitation. The banning of these companies has nothing to do with national security if they cared they would initiate strong privacy and consumer protection laws across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/tech/...ban/index.html

Please let this happen. This is one thing in this administration I could get behind.
    Fucking Hypocrites

Me: The internet is dangerous and we should control it more.

This Forum: You're scary! You're Hitler! Go home!

Also this forum: Banning internet apps is A-Okay though.

fuuuuck this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Fucking Hypocrites

Me: The internet is dangerous and we should control it more.

This Forum: You're scary! You're Hitler! Go home!

Also this forum: Banning internet apps is A-Okay though.

fuuuuck this forum.
    You can pick a different forum to hang out in since you hate this one so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You can pick a different forum to hang out in since you hate this one so much.

Oh don't worry, I do... but I also don't (Because the internet is garbage)

But I can't help but check back to this forum to see what global problem the retards are trying to solve.

Please continue.

Edit: lol, watch, i'll get banned again and not even realize it until 2 months later when I check back and get the message... after it and the ban has expired. That's usually my experience on this forum.

It's quite fucking sad actually. The mods think their job is so important.

Infracted - Don't post just to insult others.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2020-07-13 at 05:27 AM.

How any of this proves that said companies send data to Chinese goverment? Shitty software, especially anti-cheat/anti-pirate ones are nothing new, they were shit decades ago too.
    Take that haters.

Infracted but I can still post.

That's like impeaching Donald Trump but not getting rid of him.

Pure weakness.

According to the news, India has said that the app is dangerous for our country.

no need to ban it. just get the parents of those teenagers to use it.
    instantly abandoned by teens/kids.

problem is though, that its gonna be a facebook 2.0 with 40 year olds sharing conspiracy theories

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    no need to ban it. just get the parents of those teenagers to use it.
    instantly abandoned by teens/kids.

problem is though, that its gonna be a facebook 2.0 with 40 year olds sharing conspiracy theories
    It will get banned here soon enough. The CCP would rather shut it down completely than allow the platform to be sold to a US company, so that should tell you something about how much they value hijacking your personal information.

The fact that Americans are more concerned with the Chinese having their data than Us corporations and government having it screams “yellow peril”.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

So Oracle seems to have "won" the TikTok. I guess it is time for Larry to buy another yacht.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54148684
    Take that haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So Oracle seems to have "won" the TikTok. I guess it is time for Larry to buy another yacht.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54148684
    They may have "won" it, but it seems Bytedance is still refusing to sell it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN2650MC

This all started because of questions about spyware in the source code in the first place so them refusing to sell it to a U.S. company to continue operations doesn't seem like it's going to be an acceptable solution.