Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mathias Shaw and Flynn Fairwind is just a fanfiction couple

I don't know how creative Blizzard thoughr they would be for their new LGBTQ couple, but if you google "flynn shaw fanservice" there is a website that dates back to 1 year ago where people submitted quite the steamy "novels" between Flynn and Shaw.

Has Blizzard ever integrated fan service into the game like this?

5+ Year Old Account
    I don’t it’s in the game, but it might be in one of the new books coming out

Their relationship came out of fucking nowhere, even with Flynn in game being clearly in love with Taelia

If you played the alliance campaign then you probably know that they were set to be either really good friends or a couple. Patch 8.1.5 made it obvious. That's around a year and a half ago, so it makes sense for you to have found fanfic written a year ago.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-09-14 at 11:36 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's..there's Anduin x Wrathion too right?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    If you played the alliance campaign then you probably know that they were set to be either really good friends or a couple. Patch 8.1.5 made it obvious. That's around a year and a half ago, so it makes sense for you to have found fanfic written a year ago.
    Can guys not have a bromance without being turned gay?

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Are you really making this argument with WoW? When this has literally been the first noteworthy gay canon relationship after 2093823042 straight relationships?
    Not all bromances are/have to be gay ... but is it that hard to conceive that one singular relationship is, in fact, gay? Because 99.9% of male relationships in this game have been just friendships...

Pretty sure the following are all “bromances”:

• Every single male - male relationship in the game.

But yes rain on the one gay relationship saying that we are taking over the world and flooding our influence everywhere.

Not sure if the OP and responses were joking around, but the book Shadow's Rising, the homosexual relationship between Shaw and Flynn is a major arch of the story. Its made very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    flynn x shaw was ridiculously foreshadowed in 8.1.5 and 8.0. not sure where the notion of flynn clearly being in love w taelia came from, they were written as a buddy cop style duo from the get go. taelia has been paired with anduin from the second she walked on screen.

we're really happy to have the first canon gay relationship in wow characters. please. this means so much to me and many other players. it's not hurting the game. i promise. we happily enjoyed jaina x arthas, jaina x kalec, tyrande x malfurion, etc, and were happy. please be at least ok if not happy for us. i don't know how else to say it :/
    To be fair there is evidence Flynn had a crush on Taelia and that is canon to be her from a dev on twitter.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Raise_a_Glass!
    Venrik says: Say, Flynn. Whatever happened to that woman you were always talkin' about?
    Venrik says: You know, the one with "hair like raven's down." Hahah!
    Flynn Fairwind says: Ah... ahem. Not now, Venrik. We're here on serious business.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Pretty sure the following are all “bromances”:

• Every single male - male relationship in the game.

But yes rain on the one gay relationship saying that we are taking over the world and flooding our influence everywhere.
    I don't think you understand what bromances are.

And I never said such things. Don't be so dramatic lol. Point is that they got shipped and that they were making lots of erotic fanfiction of the 2, before Blizzard made it canon. I'm just pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Their relationship came out of fucking nowhere, even with Flynn in game being clearly in love with Taelia
    It's more than possible to be heavily attracted to more than one person at a time.

I'm sorry queer people exist rarely in any media and that bothers you.

Feel free to name all other same sex couples in WoW canon. Then name all the straight couples. You'll find that there have been about 2 gay couples before with a new couple in Shadowlands. And now likely Shaw and Flynn, based on their interactions in the recent novel, and the upcoming book about them.

You don't need to act like it's a pandemic for a gay couple to be added when it happens once every 4 years. It could happen more often and it would be fine. Straight couples will still exist in WoW lore. Men will still be friends in WoW lore as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    To be fair there is evidence Flynn had a crush on Taelia and that is canon to be her from a dev on twitter.
    People can be bi/pan as well.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2020-09-15 at 01:42 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Guaranteed that there's fanfiction for Flynn and Taelia out there too, but you wouldn't be making a thread about it if they ended up being the canon couple instead.

I don't think you understand what bromances are.

And I never said such things. Don't be so dramatic lol. Point is that they got shipped and that they were making lots of erotic fanfiction of the 2, before Blizzard made it canon. I'm just pointing that out.
    That happens with, like, every character that has ever existed from any media at all. This isn't new to WoW or the internet. Every other male character has been shipped together in WoW before, and one time it wound up being likely canon.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Yeah, but he's totally friendzoned, and Taelia is being shipped with Anduin anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Guaranteed that there's fanfiction for Flynn and Taelia out there too, but you wouldn't be making a thread about it if they ended up being the canon couple instead.
    There is, I'm not going to deny that. But there's like 4 or 5 compared to the 110 or so about flynn and shaw so Blizzard just chose the popular one ������

That's kind of how fanfiction works, fans see a pairing that has some kind of chemistry and start writing it or drawing it. Most of the time the chemistry is not intentional, but sometimes it is, like in this case.

I can name any number of ships that had fanfiction going on long before they became canon. It doesn't mean there was pandering, it literally just means fans saw it coming ahead of time. It's not their fault other fans don't see it.

Which is actually a sign of good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Bisexual people exist

You can also have a crush on multiple people.

Now I'm just pulling for Jaina and Vereesa come on blizz it's all about the mutual healing from tragedy with them

Yes, ofc, another gay couple in wow, god, there are so many of them...
    Right?

Zzz

I actually think I like them. They look like fun guys to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    People can be bi/pan as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    Bisexual people exist

You can also have a crush on multiple people.

Now I'm just pulling for Jaina and Vereesa come on blizz it's all about the mutual healing from tragedy with them
    Where did I say people couldn't be bi? How did two different people come to the same conclusion? That was not my argument. The comment I replied to was:
    flynn x shaw was ridiculously foreshadowed in 8.1.5 and 8.0. not sure where the notion of flynn clearly being in love w taelia came from, they were written as a buddy cop style duo from the get go. taelia has been paired with anduin from the second she walked on screen.
    Notice the bolded part? I was showing where the "notion" came from, not that characters can't be bi.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing