View Poll Results: Race changing white NPC's to black/asian

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • I would have preferred if they introduced characters with this customization

14 28.00%
  • I don't mind it

36 72.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Well, your opinion on this will depend on your level of racism.

Lore has been a mess for years anyway.
    So lore doesn't matter? Where is my night elf shaman then?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Night Elves can't be Shaman
    What does it matter? Just let them be shamans

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain how the presence of non-whites in media is in any way political

- - - Updated - - -

Night Elves can't be Shaman
    It's political because it's a change intended to increase the racial diversity of npcs at a time of racial unrest. That part is pretty straightforward. Whether or not it's a positive change is a different debate.

Because when you ignore continuity and established rules of the lore it nearly always hurts the overall universe
    but turning characters black for no reason is better? they had the perfect opportunity to introduce black characters with the wasterwanders in uldum

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, where is the "No" option?

I do not want WoW humans to become Earth humans, no. There is no need, nothing to prove either, Azeroth has far more diversity than Earth and racism basically does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by paragraphgorilla View Post
    So lore doesn't matter? Where is my night elf shaman then?
    You be quiet! It's bad enough they allowed the Highborne back in.

Because when you ignore continuity and established rules of the lore it nearly always hurts the overall universe
    Imagine complaining about continuity when every Warcraft unit Humans were European, until now for some reason

You can just retcon everything

Continuity matters to you but not that much it seems

Coming up with new lore takes time and effort. Just changing their colour is easy and ticks the diversity box, which is all they need to do.

No but I think they should have actually had cultures that represent those races so it fits beyond "Hey look different cultures". You can't just have different races out of nowhere, there are actual reasons why different ethnicities exist and we haven't seen any of those reasons in Azeroth. The closest might be the Wastewander in Tanaris but they still would be darker skinned Caucasian and not Middle Eastern. But there is no equivalent to African or Asian human cultures in Azeroth so why would there be people with those ethnicities? I'm not sure what the non-offensive way to refer to the races are since apparently the old ways are now outdated (Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid) but you get what I'm saying.

Most of those characters are black from my understanding

And the difference is, it's not contravening the lore if they change some random NPC's black - many NPC's look nothing like how they're supposed to look in the story (Anduin is a good example of this)

It's just a more modern and inclusive system they have for designing NPC's being used to make the old as diverse as the new one. I cannot fathom why anyone would have a real problem with this aside from a veiled nefarious stance

- - - Updated - - -

Europe doesn't exist in WoW
    Then they can stop taking European fantasy lore and architecture into the game, because Stormwind is heavily influenced by European culture.

Hell Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Trolls, Gnomes are all an European fantasy thing. I guess they need to remove that now and make something else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Art the Clown View Post
    Coming up with new lore takes time and effort. Just changing their colour is easy and ticks the diversity box, which is all they need to do.
    And I think this is the issue people have with it. It's just ​to check the diversity box and earn brownie points with those people.

Explain how the presence of non-whites in media is in any way political
    It's political when you make it political like with this thread. Your cast of characters doesn't have to be diverse just for the sake of being diverse. If it comes naturally and is authentic: yes please. But to force this nonsense just to check some boxes never helped anyone. In this case it's just that.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Yep. So why does everyhing have to be influnced by that. Are the exodar, Darnassus and Thunder Bluff all inspired from the same places? Does the Jade Forest and Badlands take inspiration from the same place? Of course not. I don't think you have a point here
    I think my point is still valid. Taurens are native Americans. Humans are medieval Europeans. Darnassus is a mix of Amazons and Roman influence. Orcs are a mix of warrior societies with a touch of Mongolian and Proto German features.

Should they also make Orcs white because they're brown?

No third option in the poll?

Orcs can't be white (aside from the grey orcs but they already exist and are playable and have many NPCs)

Humans can be black.

I don't see your point here
    Why can't Orcs be white? Don't be racist. All they had to say was they're already there

- - - Updated - - -

What third option would you like

Who knew that WoW, with humans, gnomes, dwarves, 4000 types of elves, trolls, undead, multiple alien races, multiple anthropromorphic races wasn't a diverse game.

I'm shocked
    Uhm. So only Humans get Asian, Black etc. models? What's with Undead? Dwarfs? Where does this start and where does this end? It's just a silly discussion at this point.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    I think my point is still valid. Taurens are native Americans. Humans are medieval Europeans. Darnassus is a mix of Amazons and Roman influence. Orcs are a mix of warrior societies with a touch of Mongolian and Proto German features.

Should they also make Orcs white because they're brown?
    But it's not about any of those races, it's just about Humans and Blood Elves because Blood Elves are the only race on the Horde side that is the most "human-like". If you're looking for consistency when it comes to the Blood Elves it makes 0 sense.

The evolved from Night Elves, but why are there both white and black? They live up way in the north so they should be pale, but if its from the sunwell then they should all be tanned/black. If it's because a Blood Elf found a black Human mate then the offspring should be a half-elf instead but they don't have that. I think they should've given the option to add human-like eyes so you can make half-elves if you want. And shorter ears.

I mean they already gave them blue eyes no? And that's the worst part of it all. It's like they don't give a shit. Why would a Blood Elf have blue eyes? Unless it's not a blood elf.

Is there any asian or just black skin color? I prefer myself a cute "white" asian, but a tan asian works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    But it's not about any of those races, it's just about Humans and Blood Elves because Blood Elves are the only race on the Horde side that is the most "human-like". If you're looking for consistency when it comes to the Blood Elves it makes 0 sense.

The evolved from Night Elves, but why are there both white and black? They live up way in the north so they should be pale, but if its from the sunwell then they should all be tanned/black. If it's because a Blood Elf found a black Human mate then the offspring should be a half-elf instead but they don't have that. I think they should've given the option to add human-like eyes so you can make half-elves if you want. And shorter ears.

I mean they already gave them blue eyes no? And that's the worst part of it all. It's like they don't give a shit. Why would a Blood Elf have blue eyes? Unless it's not a blood elf.
    They're just throwing away all the lore and established foundation this game was build upon for the sake of easy cheap pandering. I mean, look how lazy they were and how many people are still giving them praise because they completed a diversity box

Same reason a human can't be purple, there's no such thing
    Kargath was white. Don't be racist.
    Besides there were no black Orcs either. That didn't stop Blizzard.