Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Now Ya'll are getting it, I've been friends with ex-EJ members for years.
    Ion is an example of someone who's only good at bullshitting, they'll make it but it will always only be bullshit.

Purge the failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Your absolutely right words do have meanings and thankfully I have a quote so you can’t lie or misconstrued what those meanings are.

Here you go I even bolded the most important part and as an additional favour I’ll even quote the blue post so there can be absolutely no confusion.

The option of them opening them up is still there them pulling the ripcord would be doing exactly what ion said in the blue post, the ripcord isn’t and hasn’t ever been a button that just does every thing instantly the fact that You don’t understand this doesn’t mean there is no rip cord and it doesn’t mean there was any lie it just means you jumped to some fantastical conclusion all on your own.
    Where the fuck did I say Ion lied? My argument has never been that Ion lied to us. It's that he said something that could easily be misinterpreted and it would probably be better for all parties if he'd simply be more direct with what he actually meant.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Where the fuck did I say Ion lied? My argument has never been that Ion lied to us. It's that he said something that could easily be misinterpreted and it would probably be better for all parties if he'd simply be more direct with what he actually meant.
    Lying, intentional attempt to placate, does it really matter what you call it?

I assume you ignoring every thing other then that one word means you can’t contest that what he said holds true and that there is still a ripcord even if it’s not what you imagined it to be?

Lying, intentional attempt to placate, does it really matter what you call it?

I assume you ignoring every thing other then that one word means you can’t contest that what he said holds true and that there is still a ripcord even if it’s not what you imagined it to be?
    Brother, if the motherfucker said "there's a rip cord but we're going to go ahead and wait until the first content patch before we think about it," then that's an entirely different thing than responding the way he did to a direct question about whether Blizzard had plans to change things. You smugly pretending like Ion never said something in the first place after Blizzard clarifies that they have no intention of making changes to Covenants pre-launch does not absolve him from the onus of clearer communication. Christ. That's all I'm saying here, I have no fucking idea why you want to turn this into some ridiculous promised pony argument.

7+ Year Old Account
    Brother, if the motherfucker said "there's a rip cord but we're going to go ahead and wait until the first content patch before we think about it," then that's an entirely different thing than responding the way he did to a direct question about whether Blizzard had plans to change things. You smugly pretending like Ion never said something in the first place after Blizzard clarifies that they have no intention of making changes to Covenants pre-launch does not absolve him from the onus of clearer communication. Christ. That's all I'm saying here, I have no fucking idea why you want to turn this into some ridiculous promised pony argument.
    I’m incredibly curious what you think words like “last recourse” mean or phrases like “ then make conservative changes once were live” or even “lean towards doing that in a patch in the next tier“. What exactly was unclear to you? With phrasing like that what possible made you think those meant any thing other then exactly what he said?

The complication seemed incredibly clear.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-09-15 at 05:13 PM.

I’m incredibly curious what you think words like “last recourse” mean or phrases like “ then make conservative changes once were live” or even “lean towards doing that in a patch in the next tier“. What exactly was unclear to you? With phrasing like that what possible made you think those meant any thing other then exactly what he said?

The complication seemed incredibly clear.
    He did not specify a timeline for pulling the rip cord so people (in general) reasonably assumed that it could potentially happen before the game went live. We now know that not to be the case but I think a lot of unrest could have been avoided had Ion simply, you know, not said that it was even an option in the first place (or clarified that if it were an option, that the timeline for that option would occur post-launch).

10+ Year Old Account
    The unstoppable force vs the immovable object. Somebody get the popcorn.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Asheeva View Post
    So at one point GC had enough and resigned.
    Your post implies that Ghostcrawler left because of the community and the shit it gave him, which is most likely false.

GC was simply open to communication, not every developer likes or wants to do this (after all, this is the CM's job), GC did it anyway since he joined in early Wotlk, to the point where he talked about WoW's design on his own Twitter account.
    He could've stopped at any point if he wanted to, he didn't because he (i assume) got some sort of enjoyment out of this, despite how some parts of the community acted towards him.

One of the reasons why Ghostcrawler left isn't because of the part of the community that shat on him, to the contrary in fact: Bad players.

Ghostcrawler championed the Cata Heroics, which were extremely brutal for players who grew fond of the easy heroics in Wotlk, he *defended* them in his "wow, heroics are hard!" blogpost and he said that LFR (you know, that one mode which is extremely friendly towards players within the lower skill bracket) was one of his greatest mistakes.
    Even if you disregard this, one of his first posts after he joined RIOT was essentially shitting on WoW by saying that he's finally working on a game where he doesn't have to worry about everybodies grandma.
    This is a clear shot not towards the "toxic community" but the community of players which lack the mechanical ability to complete content with a modicum of difficulty or the mindset to actually improve themselves to beat such content.

Small reminder, he joined RIOT, company then only known for LoL and Moba games are anything but known for their "wholesome" community.

Ghostcrawler was (in my assumption) a very gameplay driven designer and when he realized that WoW is also largely catering to an audience he didn't want to design the game around, he packed his things.

After all, gameplay driven games require a modicum of skill to enjoy them (or the mindset to to improve yourself as player), which a portion of the WoW community seemingly lacks.
    If anything things became worse after he left if we look at WoD.
    I doubt GC could have salvaged WoD, the failure of WoD most likely rests on the shoulders of the higher ups (Brack, Pardo & Chilton).
    TLDR: Disagreeing with his direction of the game doesn't make him bad at his job.
    As much as i respect Ion, ever since he took over the game started to have those huge systems, with massive gaping flaws at launch that require Blizzard months to fix.

This is not a "disagreeing with the direction" but rather "fucked up execution", which does most certainly fall into his domain.
    Not to mention that he is constantly trying to reimbrace the RPG aspect of WoW through some super systemized fashion, which doesn't fit into how the rest of the game is designed.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-09-15 at 05:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    He did not specify a timeline for pulling the rip cord so people (in general) reasonably assumed that it could potentially happen before the game went live. We now know that not to be the case but I think a lot of unrest could have been avoided had Ion simply, you know, not said that it was even an option in the first place (or clarified that if it were an option, that the timeline for that option would occur post-launch).
    “but that is see as a last recourse."
    “conservative changes once were live”
    “doing that in a patch in the next tier“

Unless all of these mean something drastically different to you I wouldn’t say that’s any where near a reasonable assumption or even that the timeline was unclear.

But you can lead a horse and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    So, I imagined the game without all of the things that you told me to imagine it without.

Weird, the game i imagined was better.. Whats also weird is that WoW had its highest MAU and Sub numbers during the time in the game that those things didnt exist.

Super weird.

I guess there is a threshold where solid design beats just having alot of shit to do over and over.
    Without:
    • Mythic+;
    • Extra engame power progression;
    • World Quests.

You mean a game with no endgame whatsoever outside of raiding is better than a game with more options of endgame and activities outside raiding for PvE?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You are a major hypocrite. What happened to devs being people too?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ve-to-hate-wow
    This forum needs an upvote system. You'd have all of mine for that one.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Selling those copies within 24h when players quit in droves right after that isn't a proof of anything. Their financial results tell another story and right until Shadowlands pre orders or the Classic launch hit the ground they were really bad in comparison to the results from the last +5 years (I don't really want to open this discussion again, but if necessary I'll bring back all the nice graphs with official shareholder data that are proving my point).
    You have post-WoD data with MAUs and their earnings from WoW? Are you sure it's not google trends again, that "proved" TBC Classic is more popular than Shadowlands?

Quote Originally Posted by LazuOG View Post
    That statement is so flawed, Blizzard tried to release it despite early negative feedback.
    There are no flaws in my statement, you disagreeing with it is a different matter altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Ion's done a good job. I can't really think of a single other game the same age as WoW that is still so successful.
    I believe this is IN SPITE of Ion actually.

Ion is clearly driving these decisions. They follow his overall view that the game be grindy, the PVE gear trumps PVP gear in all scenarios (going back to his EJ days), that "Meaningful choices" need to be made, complex systems are good, and things like Corruption and Conduits can actually be balanced.

Maybe people think those are good decisions. I personally think these decisions are hurting the game and the subscriber base.

You're right though. This is the most successful game in history by almost any measure. I wish the devs would give the benefit of the doubt to the original designers though. At this point, they should focus on being responsible custodians of the game. If they want to design something unique, I'm sure Blizzard would give them that opportunity.

Personally, I don't think Ion should be fired. He should be sent back to raid design though. Or maybe he should be given the reigns to create another game. I am just tired of him ruining the game I've loved for the past 15 years.
    If I wanted to be melee, I would have rolled a Rogue.

Ion should be fired because he behaves like a condescending asshole towards the playerbase. That alone should be enough to get rid of him.

Does this thread really have any meaningful discussion value?

It's just a bunch of people voicing "he hurt my fee-fees" with no real practical reason why anyone should be fired.

You can choose to like or hate the design choices, that's all fine. But to say he's not listening because he's not doing what you want is being a Karen.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-09-15 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Ion should be fired because he behaves like a condescending asshole towards the playerbase. That alone should be enough to get rid of him.
    citation needed? I dont watch most of his interviews but of the ones I have, I never got the impression that he was condescending

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    I never felt insulted in my life with that recent post he did about moving full steam ahead with their bad game design decisions. They got detailed feedback on why covenant power was not going to work but lol we are going to move forward anyway, even though we said we not move forward with covenant power if there was enough negative feedback, they lied as usual . We need a new game director fast because Ion is destroying the game with his bad decisions, look how many people left after BFA, I guess they’re going to continue this trend in Shadowlands. It has gotten so bad even their most ardent defenders are coming out against this such as Wowhead, Icy Veins, T & E, Nobbel etc. Also the endgame zone the maw not being done before it’s near release is a disgrace.
    WHY DONT THEY DO WHAT I WANT!

have fun with life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    citation needed? I dont watch most of his interviews but of the ones I have, I never got the impression that he was condescending
    the playerbase is full of condescending assholes, only seems fair.

p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Does this thread really have any meaningful discussion value?

It's just a bunch of people voicing "he hurt my fee-fees" with no real practical reason why anyone should be fired.

You can choose to like or hate the design choices, that's all fine. But to say he's not listening because he's not doing what you want is being a Karen.
    i mean, the number of posts on mmochamp that have any meaningful discussion value are pretty low. and always seems to get a little lower as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    I never felt insulted in my life with that recent post he did about moving full steam ahead with their bad game design decisions. They got detailed feedback on why covenant power was not going to work but lol we are going to move forward anyway, even though we said we not move forward with covenant power if there was enough negative feedback, they lied as usual . We need a new game director fast because Ion is destroying the game with his bad decisions, look how many people left after BFA, I guess they’re going to continue this trend in Shadowlands. It has gotten so bad even their most ardent defenders are coming out against this such as Wowhead, Icy Veins, T & E, Nobbel etc. Also the endgame zone the maw not being done before it’s near release is a disgrace.
    Go away. No one needs you.

1. They said that there would be a major update to covenants soon.

2. Read the first one.

3. Be quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    And you should be fired from yours for being one too.

That would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I actually wonder what would happen if we let Asmongold take his position
    then blizzard's headquarters will be filled with half filled sodas or opened sodas but never touched.