Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Warcraft Movie Reboot Idea

First there is this:
    https://newslagoon.com/a-new-warcraf...epared/303281/

If they are going to Rebooth the Warcraft movie, I think they need to get away from the mindset of following the flow set by the games.
    While not directly a Warcraft: Orcs and Humans movie, the Warcraft movie was pretty close. With all of the lore and characters that make up Warcraft, there is just too much to try to fit onto the big screen like that.

As much as I hate to compare movies to the Marvel Universe, it is an example of how to successfully introduce and build characters for audiences not familiar with vast amounts of backstory. Similar to how Marvel had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before they had an Avenger's movie that brought several pieces together, I think Warcraft should take a similar approach. Start with a strong movie about one character. Follow up with deepdives of two or three other important lore figures, then do an epic movie, a la Avengers, either for the first War or the First and Second War together (since the two wars together amount to Orcs sneak attacking Humans and then both sides getting allies and Humans retaliating, with side stories of Guldan pulling his army, etc).

My idea would be to do the first movie about Illidan. As beloved as Arthas is, I think Illidan's story is more interesting, at least as an introduction to the Warcraft Universe as a whole. From his birth, to his failings as a druid, a gifted mage, a "traitor", a demon, a demon hunter, a prisoner, jilted lover, war criminal, villian, and finally death (I think the Legion resurrection would make more sense after a few other movies are made and maybe as part of a Legion standalone movie). Along the way we would have supporting characters in Malfurion and Tyrande, appearances by Cenarius and others, and maybe even cameos by Azshara, etc.

The first Warcraft Movie had too many characters and too much story for such a small amount of time.

With character movies, you introduce the characters slowly and actually build up the characters. Similar to how the books are a compliment to the games, movies could take on the same role. We could see Illidan failing as a druid, training as a mage, making friends, losing friends, flirting with Tyrande, etc. Nothing to take away from the established lore or change it in any impactful way, but add depth.

IF they are going to reboot the Warcraft movie, I think this would be a better option than repeating the failings of the first movie.
    I am also not sure that live-action would be the way to go, preferring an animated style, but that can be a topic for another discussion.

Well i would not be surprised if the warcraft movie never got a sequel because it was only a huge hit in china and the CCP sure as shit aint letting the scourge story happen on their movie screens so anything else is the only option to market to Blizzards primary target audience.

The first movie had way to many issues so its only better to just reboot the whole thing, or preferably turn it in to a show. It didn't sound promising when Duncan revealed that the sequels were just going to be an orc wankfest.

They should just tell the story of Arthas and the surrounding lore of the Third War with Thrall escaping to Kalimdor. As for the animation, what I would prefer is that they try something like what Disney did with the Lion King remake, which is also fully animated but in real life graphics. No more real life actors, just a fully animated movie.

As for the plot it should start pretty basic with a young Arthas learning to become a paladin and meeting characters like Jaina, the movies ending is where he returns to Lordaeron after picking up Frostmourne and kills his father. If the movie is about 3 hours long it should be paced well enough to tell all events. Maybe shove the Thrall subplot if there is time left, if its not possible then try to make it its own movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also no way any studio would commit to a cinematic universe for a video game.

The setting for the first movie was also never the problem. What they should have done was picked a very specific time frame instead of condensing too many stories. A movie set in the end of WC1 is fine, focused on Lothar finding out about Medivh with Garona as the connection to orcs.

Edit: start the movie with Stormwind still holding out but getting desperate, and end with its fall. Don't try to fit in the whole war and don't try to shove fan service into the movie.

Edit 2: fuck Arthas.
    Last edited by Clone; 2020-09-16 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    There is also no way any studio would commit to a cinematic universe for a video game.

The setting for the first movie was also never the problem. What they should have done was picked a very specific time frame instead of condensing too many stories. A movie set in the end of WC1 is fine, focused on Lothar finding out about Medivh with Garona as the connection to orcs.
    There's one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    There's one.
    When did they start making movies.

lich king movie or riot!

When did they start making movies.
    Well, not yet. But I doubt they went through the trouble of founding a studio and aren't planning on doing something with it. If anyone is going to invest anything into making more than one Warcraft movie, is them.

Because no award-winning CGI is going to make the average movie goer (who just now kind of got into Marvel) sit through 3+ hours of "cartoony LotR", let alone going back for the sequels. So first they'd have to establish a franchise (a.k.a lose money) and make enough noise to create the interest they'd need from the general audience who would then maybe go see the fifth or so movie.

if the reboot happens its needs to have a single person/company in charge of the story, slow the pacing down, and not try to cover both orcs and human backstories IMO focus on humans a'la Warcraft Orcs and humans, let the Orcs origin be a mystery, evil force. Key orc figures could be seen on the battlefield and maybe some acting time but not much. Let it be about the humans struggle to fight them off, losing town after town with the ending scene being SW burning as the humans flee setting up the 2nd to follow WII that is more Orc focused. Once you knock out the RTS trilogy, you do a prequel movie on the Orcs and War of the Ancients trilogy. Then move forward with WoW stories, starting WotLK.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    While the idea of blank slate Warcraft movie, it nearly impossible in nowadays Hollywood. Movie business is in deep crisis.
    Animated Warcraft Netflix series on other hand would be much more attractive.

Not worth debating because there's no way in hell that will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    While the idea of blank slate Warcraft movie, it nearly impossible in nowadays Hollywood. Movie business is in deep crisis.
    Animated Warcraft Netflix series on other hand would be much more attractive.
    I think that too, they should make an animated series on netflix or something like it.

I think that is the only way to to a Warcraft universe. A movie would be a great risk after the first one. Even though I would love to see them try.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Well, not yet. But I doubt they went through the trouble of founding a studio and aren't planning on doing something with it. If anyone is going to invest anything into making more than one Warcraft movie, is them.

Because no award-winning CGI is going to make the average movie goer (who just now kind of got into Marvel) sit through 3+ hours of "cartoony LotR", let alone going back for the sequels. So first they'd have to establish a franchise (a.k.a lose money) and make enough noise to create the interest they'd need from the general audience who would then maybe go see the fifth or so movie.
    That's unlikely to happen unless Blizzard gets even richer.

To put things into perspective, Blizzard is worth 1.4 billion. Marvel Studios was bought by Disney for 4 billion, almost three times Blizzard's net worth. End Game made 1.2 billion in the opening week, nearly Blizzard's net worth. They aren't even on the same level. If Blizzard wants more Warcraft movies, they will need to either become much wealthier or outside investment.

screw the movie, a tv series would be much better as it would allow for better story telling

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft had it change on the big screen and flopped big time.

No studio will greenlit more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Not worth debating because there's no way in hell that will happen.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Warcraft had it change on the big screen and flopped big time.

No studio will greenlit more of it.
    It only flopped in the US due to people listening to corrupt rating sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie did very good in Europe and Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    It only flopped in the US due to people listening to corrupt rating sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

LMAO dude what movie did you watch? It was terrible. The CGI was bad on everything except the Orcs, the plot was atrocious and boring, the acting was beyond wooden. The costume design was disgraceful.

What did you watch? You think there's some grand conspiracy? It only did badly because Rotten Tomatoes is corrupt? Do you even know what that site is? I'm guessing you don't. It's a review aggregate. It gives films scores based off ALL of the reviews it receives. Do you know what that means? It means all of the reviews Warcrap got were terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post

Calling Warcraft movie bad now makes you corrupt.

To put things into perspective, Blizzard is worth 1.4 billion.
    Source and what is the basis on this figure? Blizzard as a company separate of Activision?

All I found was this

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...zard/net-worth

Activision Blizzard net worth as of September 15, 2020 is $61.07B.

I can't imagine that Blizzard is worth 1.4b when that figure is roughly what they're bringing in annually (Just Blizz, not Activision Blizzard as a whole).
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-09-16 at 04:30 PM.