Question Which is the "correct" covenant based on race?

Like the age-old "what's the most thematic class" question (ie. Orcs = warrior/shaman. Undead = Rogue. Human/Draenei = paladin. Dwarf = Hunter, etc).

I would like to see the "full" story of Shadowlands. That means having four characters doing the campaigns as they happen, because each covenant will have exclusive storylines every patch.

Assuming I have an alt of each race on both sides, which covenant just feels more appropriate, based solely on the WoW races?

Obviously, the more appropriate covenant based on class would be easier to answer, but this is based on race only, which might be trickier.

Blizz says these aren't the only afterlife realms, just the ones we'll be seeing, so assuming they don't go to one of those, and assuming they're not too prideful so they're not sent to Revendreth and not too evil so they're not sent to the Maw:

Horde
    1. Orc - Maldraxxus (Highest aspiration is Strength and Honor)
    2. Tauren - Ardenweald (Nature lovers)
    3. Troll - Ardenweald (they serve the Loa who go to Ardenweald for recovery when they die like any other Ancient/Wild God.)
    4. Forsaken - Bastion (Serving mindlessly without asking questions is what the Forsaken are best at)
    5. Blood Elf - Maldraxxus (Like Alexandros, their memory of the Sunwell and Quel'thalas being destroyed by the Scourge is what drives them to fight and survive by any means necessary.) Second would be Ardenweald because while we don't see it much in-game, even the Thalassian elves have a close connection to nature, particularly rangers who can do some slight druidic magic like the Night Elves, which helped them to cope with their mana addiction after the Sunwell's destruction.
    6. Goblin - Maldraxxus (Nothing fits well, so fighting is the common denominator that suits them best imo.)

Alliance
    7. Human - Bastion for most I think, Maldraxxus for the rest. Their religion is to serve the Light, and the only other thing is that warrior spirit.
    8. Dwarf - Bastion, Maldraxxus, same reasons as humans, possibly with their instinct to investigate their titanic origins because they want to understand their creators and do their will helping squeeze them into Bastion.
    9. Gnome - I think their inquisitive nature would make them best serve in Ardenweald.
    10. Night Elf - Ardenweald > Maldraxxus > Bastion. They fit in all three but with that hierarchy. Serve nature, fight hard in service of nature, service is a big part of serving nature.
    11. Draenei - Bastion, same reason as humans, but no Maldraxxus because Draenei and serving the Light are a package deal. There is no secular Draenei fighting spirit.
    12. Worgen - Maldraxxus for their ferocious fighting potential, or Ardenweald for their connection to nature via their worgen curse. The Shadowlands might view them as animals and thus things to be rejuvenated in Ardenweald.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    For races with multiple Covenants, listed in generally descending order.

Alliance:
    Humans - Bastion
    Dwarves - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Night Elves - Ardenweald
    Gnomes - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Draenei - Bastion
    Worgen - Ardenweald
    Tushui Pandaren - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Void Elves - Revendreth
    Lightforged Draenei - Bastion or Revendreth
    Dark Iron Dwarves- Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Kul Tiran - Maldraxxus
    Mechagnome - Bastion, Maldraxxus, or Revendreth

Horde:
    Orcs - Maldraxxus
    Forsaken - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Tauren - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Troll - Ardenweald or Revendreth
    Blood Elves - Revendreth, Maldraxxus or Bastion
    Goblin - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Houjin Pandaren - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Nightborne - Revendreth
    Highmountain Tauren - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Mag'har Orcs - Maldraxxus
    Zandalari Trolls - Maldraxxus or Ardenweald
    Vulpera - Bastion or Revendreth

Classes:
    Warrior - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Paladin - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Hunter - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Rogue - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Priest - Bastion or Revendreth
    Shaman - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Mage - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Warlock - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Monk - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Druid - Ardenweald
    Demon Hunter - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Death Knight - Maldraxxus

Not a 100% fit for everyone, of course, and there exceptions for every rule. But this is where I think most classes or races would generally fit in best.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    For races with multiple Covenants, listed in generally descending order.

Alliance:
    Humans - Bastion
    Dwarves - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Night Elves - Ardenweald
    Gnomes - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Draenei - Bastion
    Worgen - Ardenweald
    Tushui Pandaren - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Void Elves - Revendreth
    Lightforged Draenei - Bastion or Revendreth
    Dark Iron Dwarves- Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Kul Tiran - Maldraxxus
    Mechagnome - Bastion, Maldraxxus, or Revendreth

Horde:
    Orcs - Maldraxxus
    Forsaken - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Tauren - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Troll - Ardenweald or Revendreth
    Blood Elves - Revendreth, Maldraxxus or Bastion
    Goblin - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Houjin Pandaren - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Nightborne - Revendreth
    Highmountain Tauren - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Mag'har Orcs - Maldraxxus
    Zandalari Trolls - Maldraxxus or Ardenweald
    Vulpera - Bastion or Revendreth

Classes:
    Warrior - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Paladin - Bastion or Maldraxxus
    Hunter - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Rogue - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Priest - Bastion or Revendreth
    Shaman - Bastion or Ardenweald
    Mage - Revendreth or Maldraxxus
    Warlock - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Monk - Ardenweald or Bastion
    Druid - Ardenweald
    Demon Hunter - Maldraxxus or Revendreth
    Death Knight - Maldraxxus

Not a 100% fit for everyone, of course, and there exceptions for every rule. But this is where I think most classes or races would generally fit in best.
    Oh I am so writing this down to make my life easier. With 24 high levels, makes it much easier to have some notes.

Edit: Wait... Lightforged in Revendreth? I arched my eyebrow at that.

Purely based on Aesthetics
    Orc, Maldraxxus
    Forsaken, Maldraxxus
    Tauren, Ardenweald
    Troll, Revendreth
    Blood elf, Bastion
    Goblin, Maldraxxus

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Oh I am so writing this down to make my life easier. With 24 high levels, makes it much easier to have some notes.

Edit: Wait... Lightforged in Revendreth? I arched my eyebrow at that.
    The Lightforged seem to take great joy in "extracting penance" from people - which is, in my view, quite well-suited to the actual purpose of the Venthyr. The overly zealous among the Lightforged feel like a good pick for Revendreth, but I'd say most would be drawn to Bastion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

If you feel weird about certain races joining certain covenant, here are some considerations

Bastion & Maldraxxus: Forsaken already adopted the Val'kyr (Valorious Kyrians) as part of their culture so not much push there. Bastion does represent a very Alliance centric mentality, and Maldraxxus seems to align with the Horde. But there are always exceptions, especially when the Alliance justified attacking the residential city of Dazar'alor using a very Necrolord mentality: Killing civilians in a frontal attack is fine but the idea of assassinating a single alliance leader using a sleeper agent is "dishonorable?" even though the former results in many more deaths? That's a very Necrolord rationality. As for Orcs in Bastion, remember than especially with the new alt system, you can RP dead characters in shadowlands, and long before Mists of Pandaria there were a lot of Taoist/Buddhist-inspired orc clans that died off before the first war. Thunder Blade clan whole thing is based on a Chinese myth.

Revendreth: Venthyr are hurt by the light so would they welcome a Lightforged? They'd probably be terrified of you, but coincidently their entire culture is based on sado-masochistic hierarchies. So feel free to dominate them with the Light.

Night Fae: I don't see a Forsaken Blight-Technician or Goblin fitting in here, but that just makes me want to play this covenant choice more. Dress like a Lumberjack & enjoy refering to all the NPCs there as "mulch"

I don't see Goblins in Maldraxxus, like at all. They are a race of scammers, opportunists and you could say - SINNERS so Revendreth was pretty much tailored for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    I don't see Goblins in Maldraxxus, like at all. They are a race of scammers, opportunists and you could say - SINNERS so Revendreth was pretty much tailored for them.
    Some goblins, like Gallywix himself, are defined by a thirst to improve themselves and their station, even at the cost of others if need be. That kind of cut-throat instinct seems closer to Maldraxxus than Revendreth (removing other effective circumstances), at least to me. Though Gallywix himself would probably end up in Revendreth as a client of the Venthyr for reformation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick question before I make my list: Are all the souls in Revendreth sent there to be punished, or do some go there to become venthyr and do the punishing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Quick question before I make my list: Are all the souls in Revendreth sent there to be punished, or do some go there to become venthyr and do the punishing?
    Souls that complete their punishment are either sent to another realm to serve, or can become venthyr themselves and carry out on duty of punishing.

7+ Year Old Account
    If im not mistaken they go there to be punished and after they have been... "redeemed" they can choose to stay there if they want
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

You're always sent there to be punished. If you don't reform you're tossed to the Maw. If you do, you are either sent to another realm, or can choose to stay and become a Venthyr yourself. Dunno if the Venthyr choose your next realm or you pass before the Arbiter a second time.

As for races, highlighting the Horde;

Orc: Maldraxxus, obviously, with their whole glory and self-improvement in battle shtick that fits them to a T.

Troll: Ardenweald, also quite obviously, given that De Other Side is there in the first place.

Tauren: Ardenweald because nature and Wild Gods.

Forsaken: kind of trickier. Aesthetics wise, obviously Maldraxxus all the way. In terms of mentality it could depend; the Putress sort of eeeevil Forsaken would be right at home in the eviler houses of Maldraxxus, the more Voss or Zelling style would fit anywhere but Ardenweald to be honest, even in Bastion.

Blood Elf: Toss up between Bastion or Revendreth depending on mentalities; I see a more hardcore Blood Knight type being right at home in Revendreth punishing the guilty while a Lor'themar type who puts duty first is welcome in Bastion. Aesthetics wise Bastion is the closest thing to Silvermoon.

Goblin: I got no idea lol. Morals and the fate of one's soul are concept the Goblins could hardly care less about. I guess Maldraxxus and Revendreth seems the most utilitarian and they could fit there? Bastion is all about being selfless and the greater good so that would be the one no self-respecting Goblin would ever go to.

Huojin Pandaren: They favor actions over words, which would fit Maldraxxus perhaps?

Nightborne: Revendreth's is Suramar 2.0 in terms of story so they'd have a lot of sympathy for the rebellion one assumes. They forsook too many ties to nature to truly fit in Ardenweald IMO.

Mag'har: Maldraxxus, again because orcs.

Highmountain: Ardenweald, again because Taurens.

Zandalari: Ardenweald, again because Trolls.

Vulpera: eeeeeh. Same as Goblins, they're mostly characterized by a pragmatic attitude, so their alignment would be class-based I think.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    So no innocent person goes to Revendreth, huh? Its all guilty souls. I would figure goblins might go there frequently, since the venthyr seem to value wealth and social structure. But if it's only the punished and reformed punisher, then that's not so clear cut.

Horde:
    Orc: I don't see any of the covenants as a fit for them. Orc afterlife is more related to Ardenweald than the others. I can see an uncommon case for Maldraxxus for Orcs who may have died "before" their time, but its a stretch. And really this brings up major issues with Orc's general dogma of an honorable death and finally being able to rest.

Edit: if we were to peer into Orc afterlife it would be more like how it's portrayed in Black Panther.

Tauren: Ardenweald

Undead: Maldraxxus or Venthyr, both fit them well... but only for the undead portion of their lives. Again this causes issues the same as Orcs.

Trolls: Depends on the tribe... Darkspear: probably Ardenweald, but say Zandalari, at least a portion may fit better in Bastion.

Goblin: No real fit.

Blood Elf: some sort of fit Venthyr, others would fit Maldraxxus or Bastion.

Alliance:
    Humans: Maldraxxus, Bastion, Venthyr... Humans run the gamut.

Dwarf: Maldraxxus or Bastion. Maybe Ardenweald for the Wildhammer ... who knows what to do with the Dark Iron, Ardenweald technically works for them.

Nightelf: Ardenweald.

Gnome: no real fit.

Yeah... while I'm sort of excited for lore this expansion, I got to admit that the whole concept of multiple afterlives within the lore is troublesome. The Marines have a saying that if you die as a Marine, you stand watch protecting the streets of heaven (don't @Me on this, it's just a saying). Which as you can see can be a bit odd to think about. If i take a shot in combat and wake up in heaven and some winged glowing angel is trying to hand me a rifle and tell me I'm on duty in 15 minutes, I'm going to ask where hell is because clearly thats the better place.

Thats really the heart of the problem with the way SL has kind of established the lore...

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn123 View Post
    6. Goblin - Maldraxxus (Nothing fits well, so fighting is the common denominator that suits them best imo.)
    Revendreth hello? It's all about the rich and their selfishness being faked as "redemption" for the poor who they're oppressing, pretty much the same as what Kezan was like lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

7+ Year Old Account
    assuming you excuse the place of punishment like venthyr

none of then rly fit that well, with the exception of night elves going do ardenweald and heavy light worshipers going to bastion.

Orcs, trolls, taurens and other races who revolve around shamanism, ancestors and all make no sense to maldraxxus and other places.

Orcs make more sense going to the skyhold with Odyn rather than maldraxxus.