Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    XV's cast was pretty solid. It was far from an 'emo band'.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm intrigued and cautiously optimistic. Hopefully it handles the political/war themes better than XIV. I'm getting strong vibes of both FFXII and Vagrant Story which are two of my favourite JRPG's to this day.
    You mean it doesn't have a character seem like they are actually not the moustache twirler you expected then suddenly hard right into "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE COMING MASTER RACE" political machinations of Stormblood?

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    FF13 has sold more copies than FF15 when considering additional games and DLCs for both. So sorry, but I am not.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...fantasy-games/

One of many, MANY websites putting FF15 at or near the bottom for games in the series.
    Are you really comparing the sale figures of one (1) game with multiple games?
    If that is the case then that would be one of the stupidest arguments i've read in a while.

Also what does "many websites putting FF15 at or near the bottom" have to do with the success of the game? The game sold well, recieved good scores and was also liked by the masses. That equates to a success.
    It was generally well liked, that is a fact and not even debatable. Some people did not like it but looking at the reviews and the consumer scores the people that did not like it were in the minority.

You don’t look at the main character and think of Sasuke from the Naruto anime?

Edit: Whatever, I’ll be playing 13 and 15 to “catch up” anyway.... since I feel excluded from all the hype this is generating.
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2020-09-16 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    You mean it doesn't have a character seem like they are actually not the moustache twirler you expected then suddenly hard right into "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE COMING MASTER RACE" political machinations of Stormblood?
    To be fair, by the very nature of FFXIV as a MMO, it's difficult to explore Garlemald with nuance. Garlemald are the antagonists and the player is an enemy of Garlemald, so naturally you're just not going to be able to explore the nuances of Garlemald; you're only really going to see the super bad side.

The Trails series was able to thoroughly flesh out what would otherwise be your stereotypical evil JRPG empire because there were Trails games where you played as a protagonist who was a member of the empire. So you got to see the good and bad sides and the grey in between, whereas in other games not set in the empire, you only really got to see the bad side. FFXIV can't really do this unless they do Alphinaud/Y'shtola/Estinien roleplay sections that are like the length of a full JRPG, where you live as someone within the empire... which just isn't going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but Noctis is the poster child of Emo bands... The rest of the cast is cool though, really like Gladio

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I'm sorry but Noctis is the poster child of Emo bands... The rest of the cast is cool though, really like Gladio
    I rather like Noctis. He is one of my most favorite FF protagonists. He's a chill dude. Very likeable. I also liked Ignis and Prompto. They're people I'd want to hang out with. Gladio... not so much. Gladio had a stick in his ass for most of the game.

I really hope that FFXVI isn't all grimdark, and has some lighthearted scenes. Also hope that the protagonist(s?) are chill too.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    That was disappointing, since I only invested in XIV in the first place because I thought it was going to take stronger cues from XII and not lean on the dull 'Evil Empire' trope to such a major degree. I've since checked out of the game completely, though - 5.3 cut off the last remaining plot thread that intrigued me and the consistent lack of major, lasting consequences for the protagonists came to bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    You don’t look at the main character and think of Sasuke from the Naruto anime?

Edit: Whatever, I’ll be playing 13 and 15 to “catch up” anyway.... since I feel excluded from all the hype this is generating.
    Noctis isn't as grouchy as he looks. He has some moments of angst that are understandable given what he goes through but there's plenty of points in the game where he's just smiling and enjoying himself with his buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    It looks good, but I don't plan on getting a PS4 so I may not get to play it.
    It will most likely also get released to PC just at a later date.

That was disappointing, since I only invested in XIV in the first place because I thought it was going to take stronger cues from XII and not lean on the dull 'Evil Empire' trope to such a major degree. I've since checked out of the game completely, though - 5.3 cut off the last remaining plot thread that intrigued me and the consistent lack of major, lasting consequences for the protagonists came to bore me.
    If you want an interesting take on a JRPG empire, I'd strongly encourage that you check out the Trails of Cold Steel games, though I understand that the other "anime" elements might be a turn off. Play them in order: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    "Final Fantasy XV has received "generally favorable" reviews from critics for all versions, according to review aggregator Metacritic. Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu gave both versions of the game a score of 38 points out of 40."

"Within the first twenty-four hours, Square Enix reported that Final Fantasy XV had shipped five million units worldwide in both physical shipments and digital sales—a figure which allowed the game to "break even" on development costs. This gave Final Fantasy XV the biggest launch in the franchise to date, the most first day digital sales in Japan for a game up to that point, and set records for physical shipments and downloads in mainland Asia. Commenting on the large numbers, Tabata revealed that the strong sales saved the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, which had seen declining commercial success in recent years."

Very positive reviews on Steam.
    85/100; 8,0/10 on Metacritic (PC)
    81/100; 7,6/10 on Metacritic (PS4)

Talking out of your ass much?
    Nope. Picking sites that generally review things higher than normal when paid to, ala Metacritic, isn't a viable source. Not only that they're borderline a PR firm, something they themselves have admitted to. Not a reliable source. And the way they convert user scores into a percentage metric is borderline false advertising. Which has been known for YEARS.

Selling 5 million copies is nothing when you've sold something like 150 million copies of your final fantasy series worldwide.

FF1 - 6 mil
    FF2 - 3 mil
    FF3 - 5 mil
    FF4 - 11 mil
    FF5 - 4 MIL
    FF6 - 11 MIL
    FF7 - 24 MIL ( Doesn't factor in remake )
    FF8 - 10 mil
    FF9 - 6 mil
    FF10 - 10 mil
    FF10-2 - 7 mil
    FF12 - 14 mil
    FF13 - 12.5 mil
    FF15 - 5* mil

Want to tell me again how its super popular and well-received, yet sales numbers and reviews don't show it? Yet has some of the lowest numbers in the series. Selling 5* million copies of a game is dog shit in comparison to other games.

https://gaminggorilla.com/best-selling-ps4-games/

And the above link provides global sale recording sources for their numbers. Being cheap in adding in the iOS spin-off to make the numbers look larger than they are is shady as fuck.

You can be rude all you want, but the facts are on my side. Get over it.

And now the new empire villain seems like a straight up child molestor so keep on riding that ebul embire train i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you want an interesting take on a JRPG empire, I'd strongly encourage that you check out the Trails of Cold Steel games, though I understand that the other "anime" elements might be a turn off. Play them in order: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4.
    I'll look into them, they've been on my radar as something to get around to playing someday. I bought one of the Ys games and a Fire Emblem game on a whim so the anime style/tropes won't be much of an obstacle.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    It seems they went from emo band (FFXV) to actual dark fantasy. Aren’t they a few years late to the show?
    Well, not all FF are like that. I personally really loved Tidus because he was a bright, easygoing character who (most) people seemed to like. Spira isn't a dark setting either, its rather tropical. It's... just when you get to how Yevon/Sin works it gets dark
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Well, not all FF are like that. I personally really loved Tidus because he was a bright, easygoing character who (most) people seemed to like. Spira isn't a dark setting either, its rather tropical. It's... just when you get to how Yevon/Sin works it gets dark
    The only FF protagonists that were "emo" I can think of are... maybe Cloud and Squall? Though Cloud was more of a dork. Squall was also portrayed not so much as emo, more like "awkward". I don't think any... oh, wait. FF13. Okay, yeah, those people were pretty emo and had sticks up their ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main issue with it, is it doesn't look like there's a party. Which is the antithesis of Final Fantasy honestly. While the games differ in their themes and gameplay mechanics, one of the unifying themes is a group of adventurers with different backgrounds and personalities banding together to defeat a god.

10+ Year Old Account
    This definitely looks more like a FromSoft game, but it also screams FF. I'm down to play it when it comes out in 2025.
    Last edited by GhostPanini; 2020-09-17 at 12:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    With yoshi p, dmc guy and ff14 composer, this game will be excellent. The best ff since 10 maybe

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Nope. Picking sites that generally review things higher than normal when paid to, ala Metacritic, isn't a viable source. Not only that they're borderline a PR firm, something they themselves have admitted to. Not a reliable source. And the way they convert user scores into a percentage metric is borderline false advertising. Which has been known for YEARS.

Selling 5 million copies is nothing when you've sold something like 150 million copies of your final fantasy series worldwide.

FF1 - 6 mil
    FF2 - 3 mil
    FF3 - 5 mil
    FF4 - 11 mil
    FF5 - 4 MIL
    FF6 - 11 MIL
    FF7 - 24 MIL ( Doesn't factor in remake )
    FF8 - 10 mil
    FF9 - 6 mil
    FF10 - 10 mil
    FF10-2 - 7 mil
    FF12 - 14 mil
    FF13 - 12.5 mil
    FF15 - 5* mil
    I was hoping that you wouldn't go down the "comparing 3 games to 1" route but It seems like you did. I am sorry for your parents, I really am.

And again have you found those numbers in someones ass or what? The only numbers regarding sales that we have available are:

FFX 8,5M
    FFX-2 5,5M
    FFX/X-2 Remaster 1,2M

FFXII 6,1M
    FFXII Zodiac Age 1M

FFXIII 7,7M
    FFXIII-2 3,6M
    FFXIII: LR 1,2M

FFXV 8,9M

As you can clearly see, FFXV sold more copies than any other major release, some by a large margin. These are the only numbers that we, the public, have access to.

No matter how you try to bend it, FFXV was a success, which was even said by the damn creators of the game. You not liking the game and trying to downplay the success is irrelevant.

You are more than welcome to actually look at the reviews on metacritic or any other site that collects all the reviews of different organisations. If you venture outside of your echo chamber then you will see that FFXV did receive, by a large margin, mostly favourable reviews by both organisations and the players. (not metascore)

I am seriously wondering if you're simply trolling at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Interesting they use the term "eikon". That is explicitly a FFXIV term. In FFXIV, Eikons are summons born of faith/prayers/willpower, given form by the magical power of crystals/aether. Eikons can be summons that operate on their own, or a person can summon themselves into an Eikon and directly control it (or, rather, use people's faith/desires/willpower and magic from crystals to summon an armor around themselves, thus making themselves the core of an eikon.). Since it looks like the main protagonist, Joshua, turned into Ifrit/Behemoth, I'm guessing it's straight up borrowing the summon mechanics from FFXIV, so people can summon themselves into an Eikon. Being able to stomp around as summon would be great. I hope there are different eikon/summons you can transform into.
    Eikon was also the term used for the summons in FF9, it's not exclusive to FFXIV.