Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Incredibly disappointed with class balancing so far

Sure others have brought this up before but after constantly reading the patch notes each week hoping for change and seeing little to nothing for so many classes just felt the need to vent. I feel as though blizzard is really dropping the ball with classes this expac focusing only on a set few classes which constantly seem to be getting a notable amount of changes and buffs each week while a majority might get one small change which has little to no impact.

Personally i main a mw monk (took a break a few months ago) but have been eagerly following class changes and patch notes to see how the class has changed and what cool new things i can look forward too. But week after week all i have seen are constant small changes to the same things which include just resting or deleting what they did just the previous week and trying to pass it off like they are actually trying to balance the spec. i know wind walkers and im sure many other classes may feel the same.

From watching videos ( as i don't have beta) i have also got the general impression that blizzard has largely dropped the ball for covenants and legendaries for a number of specs as well.

Tldr- blizzard are shit at balancing have made good changes to a few specs busy patting them self on the back while ignoring a number of others.

What? Blizzard has barely started doing any kind of tuning/balancing on the beta yet.

I fully expect they'll be balancing classes up until the middle of the expansion tbh, so I guess it's still early lmao.

What balancing? What are you talking about? Its not even prepatch yet, let alone release. Now, i have a VERY different opinion when it comes to systems and gearing etc - those things dont change from beta usually, so thats a different story altogether. But balancing is literally just turning the nobs to make X hit for Z and Y hit for W. Im oversimplifying obviously, but thats what balancing is.

Now if you are talking about class design and the like, that aint changing much at all from now. I expect a few talents to be swapped around, but no major changes to any classes between now and launch. If you dont like the MW monk design at this stage, it isnt changing. They still have time to be working on some changes to legos, and that wouldnt surprise me at all.

Additionally, they will be working on things behind the scenes and no doubt have some changes in the works that we havnt heard a peep about, and wont until they have undergone internal testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    What? Blizzard has barely started doing any kind of tuning/balancing on the beta yet.
    lol what?They have been doing balancing for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazmalak View Post
    I fully expect they'll be balancing classes up until the middle of the expansion tbh, so I guess it's still early lmao.
    Middle? Try final patch. And by that i mean "game shut down afterwards" final.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry11782 View Post
    lol what?They have been doing balancing for a while now.
    Where "a while" = "last 1-2 builds".

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Where "a while" = "last 1-2 builds".
    Balancing is like shaping timber - even when making the initial cuts you try not to make them too wild and rough, but its not your main focus. As time goes on, you refine more and more, and eventually move down to sandpaper and finishing touches. As you mentioned, the difference here is the balancing never ends, but they are still at the very coarse grit sanding right now - their focus will not be on it, but its always in the back of their mind, trying to keep things roughly in line with each other.

They have time - traditionally, the pre-patch launches in a comically bad state as far as balancing goes, with some obviously overturned specs / abilities - i remember a prepatch where my druid was so horribly broken it did 78% of the damage in a 5man (starfall was broken as fuck, iirc). For me, this is absolutely fine - nothing meaningful happens in this phase.

Remember folks. We forfeit a new playable class because they would be too busy "fixing classes."

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Balancing is like shaping timber - even when making the initial cuts you try not to make them too wild and rough, but its not your main focus. As time goes on, you refine more and more, and eventually move down to sandpaper and finishing touches. As you mentioned, the difference here is the balancing never ends, but they are still at the very coarse grit sanding right now - their focus will not be on it, but its always in the back of their mind, trying to keep things roughly in line with each other.

They have time - traditionally, the pre-patch launches in a comically bad state as far as balancing goes, with some obviously overturned specs / abilities - i remember a prepatch where my druid was so horribly broken it did 78% of the damage in a 5man (starfall was broken as fuck, iirc). For me, this is absolutely fine - nothing meaningful happens in this phase.
    Yeah, 9.0 balancing won't be done until post-release at the earliest. You never know what kind of weird stuff the theorycrafters come up with until they can actually try it out large-scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Remember folks. We forfeit a new playable class because they would be too busy "fixing classes."
    That's just random nonsense the community claims, though.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Yeah, 9.0 balancing won't be done until post-release at the earliest. You never know what kind of weird stuff the theorycrafters come up with until they can actually try it out large-scale.
    Yup, agree 100%, and this is greatly exacerbated by all the additional systems at play and how they all interact. I have zero doubt in my mind that SOMEONE will find some completely broken interaction that blizzard didn't expect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Thread like this usually means "They haven't made my main class OP yet!! Dammit Blizz, make me OP!!!"
    The jokes are real - even when perfectly balanced, someone would complain that there class was too far down the list, even if they are just listed alphabetically. I think there was a comic jking about it a few years back? Funny, but sadly true.

found it!

https://www.darklegacycomics.com/558

Quote Originally Posted by Dazmalak View Post
    i fully expect there is no way to balance this many classes/specs without making everything the same.

ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    i fully expect there is no way to balance this many classes/specs without making everything the same.

ever.
    I firmly believe the homogenization of classes / specs was a side effect of the pursuit of perfect balance, because you are right - every encounter and combat scenario is different, every player is different, every class is different, every spec is different, and everyone's talents are different. Its just WAY too many differentials to allow for perfect balance. You want all single target boss encounters and every trash pack to have 5 mobs and deal only one type of damage and everyone to have a re skinned version of the same abilities? Because thats the end result - i would take less than perfect balancing but unique and interesting specs that offer great "oh shit!" moments any day of the week.

This.

That is the message i want people to get from this. We sacrificed a new class for nothing.
    It doesn't matter how much time they have, "fixing classes" is not something that is attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post

ever.
    For "perfect" balance as in the DLC comic, that's literally the only way to do it, as any difference in design beyond cosmetics will necessarily cause a difference in performance under certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The game comes out in about 30 days, ya think maybe they plan on doing it at all?
    That's longer than they spent on it in some previous betas.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The game comes out in about 30 days, ya think maybe they plan on doing it at all?
    Won't happen until the week after the raid goes live.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

I'm not talking about numbers really more so mechanics, and stuff which makes it feel exciting and new not like you are just playing the same class you did for the last 2 years or more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Precisely.

And yeah, the balance is off right now, and we have a little over a mont till launch. It is a little bit worrying.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by irollyo View Post
    Sure others have brought this up before but after constantly reading the patch notes each week hoping for change and seeing little to nothing for so many classes just felt the need to vent. I feel as though blizzard is really dropping the ball with classes this expac focusing only on a set few classes which constantly seem to be getting a notable amount of changes and buffs each week while a majority might get one small change which has little to no impact.

Personally i main a mw monk (took a break a few months ago) but have been eagerly following class changes and patch notes to see how the class has changed and what cool new things i can look forward too. But week after week all i have seen are constant small changes to the same things which include just resting or deleting what they did just the previous week and trying to pass it off like they are actually trying to balance the spec. i know wind walkers and im sure many other classes may feel the same.

From watching videos ( as i don't have beta) i have also got the general impression that blizzard has largely dropped the ball for covenants and legendaries for a number of specs as well.

Tldr- blizzard are shit at balancing have made good changes to a few specs busy patting them self on the back while ignoring a number of others.
    good thing they aren't finished yet

So here is a hint, we are in beta. Maybe you shouldn't be on beta if it upsets you

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    Not sure you fully understand how long they have ALREADY been working on this....lol