Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    No... just... no. If you're a coder who likes to copy/paste, please for the love of all that is holy... find another profession!
    You don't code clearly lmao.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    You don't code clearly lmao.
    I've been a senior dev and application architect for 20 years. If you're copying and pasting, you don't understand some very fundamental things about application design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    How long the material of a prepatch last doesn't matter. Most prepatches were only about 2 weeks in length of content. If they last longer it's because of massive time gates. 4 weeks has been the length of all prepatches with maybe 1 variance (not sure, but in case). This is done so people have plenty of time to get the items and aren't restricted to a strict two week window and gives plenty of more time to test classes and balancing out.

It is extremely unlikely to be on the 6th unless they were pushing release date back.
    Well no. Delaying prepatch for 1 week is something completely different than delaying SL now.

You have no human right to get 4 weeks of prepatch. If they decide it is better to get another week for development, it will happen. Doesnt mean they delay SL.

I would bet 100000$ that prepatch wont be next week. 29th or 6th - well, both is possible. But beta looks really bad currently and the latest ptr build really didnt look like - oh we are doing our final tuning...
    Last edited by Aurosh; 2020-09-17 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a senior dev and application architect for 20 years. If you're copying and pasting, you don't understand some very fundamental things about application design.
    I code and I copy & paste.

Right or wrong...University actually teaches to copy and paste nowadays. Almost everything you need to do with code has been done in someway by another coder. Find the code...alter it and move on. No need to remake the wheel every script.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well in web development you do a lot of it when you code and then you adjust it or change it as needed, CSS, PHP, HTML, etc. even in games if you want a specific functionality most times it is better to start with a base if it is similar to something you already created, why would you write every line fresh? That seems really slow.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Your whole premise is nonsense and you have no sources for that. If we looks at historical data, pre-patch have stages, right, but split is different - every SYSTEM change (new interface, classes, number squishes, etc.) are week 1, very often CONTENT part comes later, usually week after release. They want playerbase to be familiar with new environment before they give them something to do and it's good opportunity to catch few more bugs using huge sample.

No one ever suggested pre-patch will be split on cosmetics and system parts, because it's totally pointless.

Its OK man. Sorry you didn't read the post before you replied the first time.
    Get mad all you like. I simply offered up a theory. Never stated anything was fact, other than you didnt read before you posted.. and that is a fact.

All good though
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I was more referring to the azerite armor solution from the get go where each ring would have an open socket as well as the random traits and then professions would all be able to craft a certain number of the socket-able traits so that if your RNG was horse shit (which is usually is for most people) you could buy or craft the trait you wanted. That opened up a ton of player agency and fixed the RNG monster that was Azerite gear and this was something I and a few others had suggested, I even made posts about it lol. You cannot tell me that is a bad idea, that was an objectively good solution to that game design issue.
    To be honest your idea doesn't sound interesting either, but maybe it's me and I'm just sick of anything Azerite related. Don't understand that comment about RNG though, all Azerite pieces had fixed traits, right? You knew where exactly raid pieces drop and M+ had vendor early into BfA.

But if you tell me that Blizzard "dismiss pretty much all ideas" I call it total nonsense. People wanted more stuff to do in WoD, they changes it 180 in Legion. People were sick of grind after BfA, they introduced caps in SL. People hated dailies in MoP, WoD was almost dailies free. People wanted dungeons to be relevant, Blizzard invented M+. People complained about too short leveling (that damn stupid Sodapoppoin video..), Blizzard increased it's length in 7.3.5. And so on, and so on.. And you can pretty much see when Blizzard moves game in one direction, other side become very vocal and convince Blizzard to swing in opposite direction. When sometimes they don't do it "they don't listen to community". It's never ending process.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    You have no human right to get 4 weeks of prepatch. If they decide it is better to get another week for development, it will happen. Doesnt mean they delay SL.
    "No human right" really? No one said it was a right or guarantee so you can't really use that argument. We are basing everything based on previous trends and current direction and time line going on. I'm sorry if you feel like it needs to be on the 6th, but it won't be.

Secondly, delaying prepatch isn't going to give them more development time for Shadowlands. Pre-Patch only contains the mini-event, customization changes and level squishes and alt changes. Vast majority of that is done and it is on the PTR and testing. As we can see 9.0.1 development has slowed down a lot which means it is essentially ready to be released. None of that impacts Shadowlands release so delaying Prep-Patch will have zero impact on Shadowlands. There is nothing there that suggests in the slightest way that prepatch won't be out for the usual four weeks.

Well in web development you do a lot of it when you code and then you adjust it or change it as needed, CSS, PHP, HTML, etc. even in games if you want a specific functionality most times it is better to start with a base if it is similar to something you already created, why would you write every line fresh? That seems really slow.
    Of course you copy& paste whenever possible...

I am software engineer and we always try to copy stuff whenever possible. Blizzard often does the same, we see them copying old stuff pretty often.

Just think of windfury totem. It was copied from a time when it was party only...

Pre-Patch will launch this Tuesday if not then the 29th, no way they are waiting till the 6th or longer, we have never had a 3-week pre-patch.

To be honest your idea doesn't sound interesting either, but maybe it's me and I'm just sick of anything Azerite related. Don't understand that comment about RNG though, all Azerite pieces had fixed traits, right? You knew where exactly raid pieces drop and M+ had vendor early into BfA.

But if you tell me that Blizzard "dismiss pretty much all ideas" I call it total nonsense. People wanted more stuff to do in WoD, they changes it 180 in Legion. People were sick of grind after BfA, they introduced caps in SL. People hated dailies in MoP, WoD was almost dailies free. People wanted dungeons to be relevant, Blizzard invented M+. People complained about too short leveling (that damn stupid Sodapoppoin video..), Blizzard increased it's length in 7.3.5. And so on, and so on.. And you can pretty much see when Blizzard moves game in one direction, other side become very vocal and convince Blizzard to swing in opposite direction. When sometimes they don't do it "they don't listen to community". It's never ending process.
    They did not have fixed traits at all, they were all random that was the big annoyance, it took them like 2 major patches to fix it.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    I code and I copy & paste.

Right or wrong...University actually teaches to copy and paste nowadays. Almost everything you need to do with code has been done in someway by another coder. Find the code...alter it and move on. No need to remake the wheel every script.
    Yes, I've been a guest speaker at a couple universities - worse is that students rarely ever work in anyone else's code. I'm not suggesting recreating other people's code, I'm talking about using it vs copying it, and making yours so that reuse (vs copy/paste) is a viable option.

Proper style definitions, functions, and class design and extension eliminate most of the need for repetition. But we should probably take this offline before I accidentally derail it even further, but I'm happy to discuss this outside this thread.

On topic... no, I don't see it happening without warning - though I hope it gets here sooner rather than later.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    They did not have fixed traits at all, they were all random that was the big annoyance, it took them like 2 major patches to fix it.
    Ok I did some research and I'm pretty sure Azerite had fixed traits since 8.0. At least if we are talking about dungeons/raids drops. You could check journal, pick armor, focus on farming that specific boss and target that specific piece of gear+traits (and it can't titanforge). In M+ azerite armor didn't dropped at all and it was random in weekly chest, but they introduced vendor in 8.1, 4 months after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Its OK man. Sorry you didn't read the post before you replied the first time.
    Get mad all you like. I simply offered up a theory. Never stated anything was fact, other than you didnt read before you posted.. and that is a fact.

All good though
    First, your comment about not reading wasn't directed at me, second not everyone that argue with you is mad at you. Even if you post random theory you should accept that people will critique or even laugh it off.
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2020-09-17 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    The broke prepatch into 2 sections for PTR, they have never done that in the past.

Pre Patch 9.0 Cosmetics
    Pre Patch 9.01 Second Level Squish.
    Patch 9.02 Shadowlands Launch

I really don't see any other reason to jump to 9.01. Why would you just skip 9.0
    Pre-patches are never x.0

I had to check WoWWiki to be sure but they have a full timeline of patch history and pre-patches are always x.0.x

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Time...d_of_Warcraft)

It is about being constructive though, they just dismiss pretty much all ideas put forth and many are indeed better than what they come up with. I actually am a game designer and have been working/developing a game but I also develop websites as my main income.

I was more referring to the azerite armor solution from the get go where each ring would have an open socket as well as the random traits and then professions would all be able to craft a certain number of the socket-able traits so that if your RNG was horse shit (which is usually is for most people) you could buy or craft the trait you wanted. That opened up a ton of player agency and fixed the RNG monster that was Azerite gear and this was something I and a few others had suggested, I even made posts about it lol. You cannot tell me that is a bad idea, that was an objectively good solution to that game design issue.
    What game have you designed/worked on?

Ok I did some research and I'm pretty sure Azerite had fixed traits since 8.0. At least if we are talking about dungeons/raids drops. You could check journal, pick armor, focus on farming that specific boss and target that specific piece of gear+traits (and it can't titanforge). In M+ azerite armor didn't dropped at all and it was random in weekly chest, but they introduced vendor in 8.1, 4 months after launch.
    doesn't really matter at least my solution still allowed you some more control over getting them if you didn't want to do certain content.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    Pre-patches are never x.0

I had to check WoWWiki to be sure but they have a full timeline of patch history and pre-patches are always x.0.x

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Time...d_of_Warcraft)
    Good to know. Thanks
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    What game have you designed/worked on?
    My own project but it is slow going by myself lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Maybe I read the post wrong but I read it as tho they were doing two branches so the PTR could test one thing while the BETA tested another. I didn't read that we would be getting two pre-patches on the live servers. Am I reading it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I hope we get our 2 weeks notice. i'm so close to getting the mount, if I lose out on it because blizz decides not to warn us, I'll be a bit disappointed.
    How about you go and get it now instead of crying for something that is within your control? If you are that close, you should need less than 50 matches and have already achieved 2.4k rating. If not, then you are not close and no one cares.