Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Alliance Jaina Proudmore in BfA - Was it good?

So the Alliance side. This expansion with Kul Tiras was all about Jaina Proudmore. Even before the expansion was released we got the cinematic of "Daughter of the Sea" with an amazing song. First quest in the expansion is us and Jaina walking in the city.

At 120 we got a nice little questline where her and her mother got reunited. She had a flying arcane boat in the assault of Undercity, and from there on, helped us for the rest of the expansion.

The music she had ingame was also in my opinion the most iconic part of the expansion. Not Daughter of the Sea, but the Jaina theme.

Jaina even had her own final boss raid.

Do you guys think Jaina Proudmore had a good story arc this expansion?

Arguably, she was one of the few highlights of the expansion from a lore standpoint so absolutely yes, she was a good addition to BfA.

Yes.

And I see it pop up often enough in threads about BfA used as an example of something that was done well in BfA, so I don't think it's really that disagreed on.

The Pride of Kul Tiras questline was easily the best questline I think in all of BfA, can't really compete with it. It was well done overall.

Out of all the final bosses in a raid, Jaina was easily the most fun I'd say too, but there wasn't really much competition there except for maybe Uu'nat in terms of intense feeling. Since you know, G'huun was a slogfest that relied too much on the orb mechanic, Azshara was extremely tedious of a fight and just flat out annoying at times, and then N'zoth was...anti-climatic I guess. Carapace worked well at least, but even on Mythic, N'zoth didn't really have any good "sense of urgency" moments it felt like. For a comparison of "urgency" moments, I'd use Garrosh's fight as a good example actually, the whole "I WILL HAVE MY WORLD!" moment was 10/10. Same with Jaina when she freezes the entire ocean, it's just visually impactful and also gives a rush moment of "we gotta get this done now".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Her being a hippie again? No it sucked.

She did. Of all the main characters of BfA, she was the best by far. She finally got over her trauma from the tragedy she suffered at the hands of a tyrant and she finally earned her redemption in the eyes of her people. Very good character development, and she did not even have to sacrifice her cool factor. She looked badass on the pyramid while ominously staring down at the hopeless Horde forces.

Not my favourite character, but her time in the spotlight was definitely appreciated.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Yes, one of the few highlights of BFA.

Jaina's arc, the cinematics, reuniting with brothers, mother, her doubts and shining moments were definitely the highlight of the expansion for me. She has always been my favorite character, but now more so.

I'd watch a "The Proudmoores" series.

I don't buy that the Kul'Tirans were willing to forgive her so easily and to even promote her as the next grand admiral. The quest chain had some good cinematics but I wasn't a fan of the constant MacGuffin goose chase. I also didn't like that she just teleports away as a final raid boss, makes me wonder why not every raid boss does not just simply teleport away when they are at low health. I was just thinking how awesome it would be if the Horde managed to capture her instead and having her being tormented by Sylvanas, who tries to break her down enough and then use her to have the Alliance surrender the war or something.

It definately has good parts aswell like a lot of the character interactions, the accompanied music and to finally resolve her guilt that started in WC3 and never got adressed sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Her being a hippie again? No it sucked.
    She led the assault on Dazar'alor along with Genn, and you're gonna call that being a "hippie"?

That's a strange way to take that. Also considering how much hate Talanji has for her, I'm going to guess the canon killer of King Rastakhan was Jaina, although I feel like it was also mentioned directly that she did kill him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly no and I can't imagine what 'amazing' story people believed happened when they praise it. To quote myself from another thread on a summary of her BfA story:

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Arrives on a fuck off magic flying ship, reveals she can teleport whenever now, explains she been doing nothing for the whole of the Legion invasion, gets arrested and slated for execution, Absent for the whole leveling period, Admiral goes muh daughter forgetting she should be dead already, oh wait turns out pirates have her, oh wait turns out tidesages have her, oh wait turns out instead of executing her they've decided to exile her, oh wait Gorak Tul has her, Sad Jaina, Mad Jaina, kills an ancient unrelenting evil with no sweat after having decided to agree with her dad's Horde Hate, solves a problem which she didn't know about with a McGuffin she didn't know she had using a song she had no clue was related, gets promoted because wtf not? and Kul'tiran people suddenly forget all the hate for her just cause, fucks up a city following a plan she wasn't a part of and forces them into the Horde when the opposite was the desired outcome, gets winded and remembers she can teleport suddenly and takes a few days rest, has the living Steak reunite her entire living family for her, becomes useless, saves the living steak and decides to like the Horde again because she saw Thrall's balls, becomes irrelevant for the rest of the expansion except to ship Calia and her brother (weeeeiiiirrrddd), memes on Anduin, gets kidnapped to start the next expansion.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    She led the assault on Dazar'alor along with Genn, and you're gonna call that being a "hippie"?

That's a strange way to take that. Also considering how much hate Talanji has for her, I'm going to guess the canon killer of King Rastakhan was Jaina, although I feel like it was also mentioned directly that she did kill him.
    The assault lead to nothing but the Zandalri joining the horde because she was to much of a hippie to let them actual take any thing in the city for a bargaining chip and instead only went for the king.

It ended up was an active determent to the alliance because she was a hippie.

I love Jaina, she should help console us poor players who never have a Warchief.

Her story was good for WoW standards, but sort of failed to exist in the leveling content. We went a LONG time between landing in BFA and seeing Jaina again.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Daughter of the Sea" alone was one of the best moments of the expansion (right up there with "Old Soldier").

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Way better than Mad Jaina from MoP. Throughout the expansion she eventually comes back to her pre-MoP personality.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat, the raid ending was alittle cringe worthy with how the alliance didn’t push the advantage because of her.

Are you joking right now?
    She teleported a ship to shoot undercity...
    I mean what is this?
    She did more mage'y stuff than Azshara did, and apparently Azshara was super uber powerful.
    No, this sucks.
    Teleporting boat sucks.
    Flying boats suck.
    Human Mage being more powerful than any other I have seen in this game sucks.
    "Human potential" sucks.
    If you think her questlines or whatever are "good arc" then you truly need to re-think what a fantasy game/genre is, because teleporting flying boats to shoot a city under siege when everyone else is barely doing sh*t isn't fantasy - it's just plain stupid

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    I love Jaina, she should help console us poor players who never have a Warchief.

Her story was good for WoW standards, but sort of failed to exist in the leveling content. We went a LONG time between landing in BFA and seeing Jaina again.
    Not if you leveled an Alliance toon.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    Not if you leveled an Alliance toon.
    Alliance lands on the island, immediately loses Jaina. She remains gone until the grand finale at the end of all BFA 8.0 content. That was a tragic under utilization of the most hyped character entering BFA. Yeah it worked out. Yeah she was a great raid boss. It just left me wanting more.

3+ Year Old Account
    one gripe I had on her is that her MoP Jaina persona should have been amplified at the burning of Teldrassil and only being hippie Jaina again after Sylvanas is gone
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

No. It's very well produced, voice acted, the visuals are on point, but it does nothing except revert the character completely back to WC3 factory settings. The Jaina of Daughter of the Sea, the best piece of pre-release video Blizzard have done, is exponentially more compelling than the Jaina we have an expansion and ten other cutscenes later.

The idea of Jaina, who's so far stood very much apart from her home seeing that even with Garrosh absent the Horde are still doing what they're doing and that it's all races so not even orcs can be to blame considering her father's words and heading back to the place she left regretting how she killed him has a lot of dramatic potential. Her handing herself in holds together. She's fragile at this point. The place where her arc dies in being engaging is the Thros sequence and her being made Grand Admiral. Jaina coming to terms with the decision to kill her father I can somewhat buy, she's such a yo yo it's fine. But her mother, who'd watch her husband die and now sees the orcs he didn't stop rampaging over her land after having also destroyed her daughter's city and made her such a wreck? What about her people, you need to only look at Brennadam to get their first taste of the Horde, why are they suddenly fine with blaming Daelin? For Jaina herself - she encounters no sign anywhere in her dream journey that the Horde's turned over a new leaf or that the Horde turning over a new leaf is itself a reason why she should revert on her beliefs, if anything, she could go from moping to proactive, wanting to defeat the Horde but not exterminate it.

Everything from then on leaves Jaina with next to nothing to work with - Jaina's already decided by the time Derek shows up that a victory over the Horde that makes the Horde sad is beyond the pale - she's already neutered, ergo, the encounter with him has next to no stakes and Baine, rather than sparking that humanity in her as is likely intended, is instead just filling in and crossing a Rubicon that's already been crossed. Everything past that has her as an empty sack, incapable of engaging in emotional conflict due to how bland she is but so much stronger than the entire rest of the cast combined that she creates plot problems. Shadows Rising is a culmination of this - she's there because she's Jaina and a main character, but she doesn't have anything to do and even the characters call her out on the fact that her positions don't make sense.

Funnily enough, she was just upstaged by the much better ending to her recently released Hearthstone adventure where the lesson she takes away isn't 'be evil', but 'be strong, appeasement isn't the answer, firmness is'. That Jaina is compelling. "You were right to kill your father and my husband, daughter, here's the keys to the city, go save that cowman that keeps getting captured" far less so.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2020-09-18 at 05:36 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.