Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    (no idea of there's a historical Kleon)
    Turns out yes, there is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleon

"Cleon (/ˈkliːɒn, -ən/; Ancient Greek: Κλέων Kleon, Ancient Greek: [kléɔːn]; died 422 BC) was an Athenian general during the Peloponnesian War. He was the first prominent representative of the commercial class in Athenian politics, although he was an aristocrat himself. His contemporaries, the historian Thucydides and the comedic playwright Aristophanes, both represent him as an unscrupulous, warmongering demagogue, but both of them had strong motives to present Cleon unfavorably. "

Also: "His influence lay in his forceful and bullying style of oratory, anti-intellectual and anti-aristocratic in tone, and his populism."

10+ Year Old Account
    So I was putzing around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

There's a politician named Kleon who's Pericle's rival in game (no idea of there's a historical Kleon) and one quest has me encountering some goons who were agitated by Kleon. The goon shouted "Make Athens great again!" before he attacked me.

Later, I'm at a party and some rich guy says he labels Kleon "that orange ape"

So I've had enough and I wanted to see if Kleon, a populist leader in Athens, was in someway a commentary or based on Donald Trump. After googling it I come across a reddit thread of some guy who's throwing a hissy fit, that Ubisoft and the developers are anti-Trump or some shit because they had a character shouting "Make Athens great again." He even said it was "vomit inducing."

I had to laugh because we've had decades, literal decades, of right wingers calling liberals snowflakes, but here we have some dude all butthurt because some video game character shouted a Trumpish slogan.

Who's the snowflake?
    The effort and hard work people put in to modern gaming is amazing... or so I hear... on modern games, the B button (unless fuck you Nintendo) is the most warm out... skip... skip... SKIP!!!... wait... where am I?

Final Fantasy Online seems to have a good story....... for me to skip!!! It is a very good game... been having a blast with the free account unlock your level 60 that happened a couple of weeks ago. I’m impressed...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Who's the snowflake?
    That's always just been projection. Conservatives were clutching their pearls over things they found offensive long before the nefarious blue-haired college SJWs were even a twinkle in their parent's eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I was putzing around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

There's a politician named Kleon who's Pericle's rival in game (no idea of there's a historical Kleon) and one quest has me encountering some goons who were agitated by Kleon. The goon shouted "Make Athens great again!" before he attacked me.

Later, I'm at a party and some rich guy says he labels Kleon "that orange ape"

So I've had enough and I wanted to see if Kleon, a populist leader in Athens, was in someway a commentary or based on Donald Trump. After googling it I come across a reddit thread of some guy who's throwing a hissy fit, that Ubisoft and the developers are anti-Trump or some shit because they had a character shouting "Make Athens great again." He even said it was "vomit inducing."

I had to laugh because we've had decades, literal decades, of right wingers calling liberals snowflakes, but here we have some dude all butthurt because some video game character shouted a Trumpish slogan.

Who's the snowflake?
    Don't forget when a bunch of right wing crybabies lost their shit when wolfenstein launched with the marketing campaign of "make America nazi-free again"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

46,295 new cases. I realized I haven't been comparing them to past weeks as usual, but honestly it's been about the same. I think there were fewer a couple days ago but yesterday was about the same and today is a little higher. The bottom line is that, as the irregularities balance out after the holiday, it looks as if there's little change from two weeks ago in terms of national totals.

Texas: 4,604 new cases; 98 deaths
    California: 3,561 new cases; 91 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Illinois: 2,056 new cases; 25 deaths
    Wisconsin: 2,034 new cases (new record); 3 deaths
    Missouri: 1,982 new cases; 26 deaths
    Georgia: 1,847 new cases; 55 deaths
    Arizona: 1,753 new cases; 38 deaths
    North Carolina: 1,552 new cases; 31 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,324 new cases; 26 deaths
    Virginia: 1,101 new cases; 36 deaths
    Iowa: 1,075 new cases 14 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,053 new cases; 13 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,034 new cases; 6 deaths
    Ohio: 1,033 new cases; 25 deaths

The Midwest continues to be a problem as most states in the region continue trending up. Misery had their second-highest total. Wisconsin blew their old record out of the water. They'd been hitting high numbers all week so this isn't a huge surprise, but it's a large jump indicative of how it's going in the region. Arizona is back on the list in a major way, however about a third of those cases are a correction due to new definitions/regulations (the same will apparently happen tomorrow). That still puts them over 1k for the first time in two weeks so that's not great either. New York once again barely avoided the 1k mark, but given that they're still just below the 1% positivity mark and they're testing an average of 70k per day I'd say they're still doing pretty great, considering.

879 deaths is a couple hundred fewer than two weeks ago Thursday, putting the total at 202,213. Both Texas and California posted fewer than 100 deaths which they haven't done for a non-weekend/holiday for a while. Florida admitted to another 142.

Trump supporters can take solace in the fact that Trump found a silver lining to it all, namely that he had an excuse not to shake hands with them.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You don't even need to go that far today.

Plenty of schools still teach that the Civil war "was really about states rights" or that "slavery was just a small part of it."
    You mean the War of Northern Aggression?
    Courtesy of Quarrels Elementary School, Greensboro, North Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Not surprising. I have argued with a lot of Southerners that have claimed the war wasn't over slavery and the North started it. Even though all evidence suggests otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The effort and hard work people put in to modern gaming is amazing... or so I hear... on modern games, the B button (unless fuck you Nintendo) is the most warm out... skip... skip... SKIP!!!... wait... where am I?

Final Fantasy Online seems to have a good story....... for me to skip!!! It is a very good game... been having a blast with the free account unlock your level 60 that happened a couple of weeks ago. I’m impressed...
    You mean fuck MS for changing an already decades old button layout scheme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Not surprising. I have argued with a lot of Southerners that have claimed the war wasn't over slavery and the North started it. Even though all evidence suggests otherwise.
    History show the opposite, but dumb people will believe anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    If the USA had truth in advertising laws, the Carolinas would have to rename themselves "South Carolina" and "Souther Carolina".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I haven't been comparing them to past weeks as usual, but honestly it's been about the same.
    Isn't that fact itself a huge glaring issue? A disease that's under control should have numbers decline.

I've been watching the death numbers, they don't seem to be dropping much either.

Yes, that is deaths per million, so there will be no blaming sample size today. The US remains one of the worst countries, and one of the worst countries proportionately, in handling the outbreak. 200,000 and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We do have truth in advertising laws.
    Not very strong laws, we have accident clinic ads stating they can get their patients up to 1m million dollars if they call them. A clinic promising people monetary benefits from insurance payments is fraud and the PIP coverage limit is 10k in the state (Florida), yet no one does anything about the ads.

So apparently trump may now be realizing demonizing people from puerto rico may have been a bad plan due to how many of them moved to florida after the bad hurricane. https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/rev...o-win-florida/

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    We already have a ton of Europeans on this forum who believe as such so I can’t imagine he’s gonna be at a loss for contributors to this alternative history.
    I'd love to see a source on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    The North started it?

I'd love to hear that spin.

Last I checked, the South started firing on Fort Sumter.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    The paper-thin rationalization is "but they made us do that because XXX" and XXX somehow never involves slavery.

The Civil War was fought a century and a half ago. Everyone who fought in it is dead. Everyone who made any decisions that led to the Civil War is dead. The South rebelled, the South lost. Take the hood off (not you Adam I mean the rationalizers) and join the 21st century with the rest of us. We have Mandalorian season two on the way.

The North started it?

I'd love to hear that spin.

To be fair, that’s exactly how I learned it and I’m from South Carolina. Guess I got lucky dodging the revisionist history bullet there.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I 100% believe that if it was proven that masks saved the wearer a LOT more people would wear them, but because the masks are primarily protection for people other than the wearer in this case it boils down to the fact that a lot of people are just selfish assholes who don't give a shit about anyone else.
    I'm not sure that's true. My wife gets harassed for wearing a mask pretty regularly (always by older white males, of course), who say things like "look at you all afraid in your mask".

These people have convinced themselves that the whole situation is a hoax and nothing to worry about. Significant self-protection from masks wouldn't change things because if it did, they wouldn't be going to things like no-mask rallies, which is obviously putting themselves at risk.

They won't change their minds until it personally hits them close to home, and really hard....just like the guy whose last words were "I think I may have made a mistake" after minimizing Covid-19 and catching it on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    To be fair, that’s exactly how I learned it and I’m from South Carolina. Guess I got lucky dodging the revisionist history bullet there.
    My AP US History teacher, in Maine, said the civil war wasn't about slavery.

Being in high school at the time, I accepted it because I didn't know better. Looking back though . . . what the fuck? Like literally every divisive event between the American revolution and the Civil War was about slavery.

Yes, technically the war started with the purpose, by the North anyways, to preserve the Union. But the whole thing wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the contentious issue of slavery.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    But the whole thing wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the contentious issue of slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The right to own slaves is cited in the documents the Confederacy used to officially kick things off. Anyone who believes differently is either poorly educated or willfully blind.
    The argument usually seems to go as follows:

S: "The Civil War wasn't about slavery! It was about economics!"
    N: "Which economics?"
    S: "The freedom to run a competitive business! We can do things cheaper than the North!"
    N: "And what makes your business so competitive, that you're cheaper than the North?"
    S: "Well um...uh...slaves"
    N: "And if you didn't have slaves, would you still be competitive?"
    S: "...I mean, if you look at Lincoln's policies on --"
    N: "I'll take that as three-fifths of an admission."

My AP US History teacher, in Maine, said the civil war wasn't about slavery.

Being in high school at the time, I accepted it because I didn't know better. Looking back though . . . what the fuck? Like literally every divisive event between the American revolution and the Civil War was about slavery.

Yes, technically the war started with the purpose, by the North anyways, to preserve the Union. But the whole thing wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the contentious issue of slavery.
    But but the Confederates didn'T do anything. They just formed militias to raid federal army depots to arm themselves, lead a terror campaign in Kansas, almost beat Senator Sumner to death, two events, that were explicitly related to slavery, and then... shelled a united states fort. And the north was, according to the lost causes seemingly supposed to just sit idly by.