Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Most cultures in history practiced slavery, there's no what about here. Blaming Europeans for slavery is the same as blaming Asians for the invention of murder. It's nonsensical, naive or disingenuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_..._Aztec_culture
    Man, did the Aztecs have a global slave trade too? They were enslaving people from another continent and then shipping them all over the world?

Is America a nation descended from Aztec society so that it would be a part of our history?

I never expected, "Yeah, well other people had slaves too!" to be the new talking point for defending attempts to whitewash the history of slavery in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Within the scope of American history, there is a racial identity to slavery. Hell, race was a reason why the South justified slavery. They believed that the "negro" was a savage man who couldn't care for himself in a civilized fashion and needed the stern hand of a white Christian master. They believed whites were the superior race. This is evident in the writing from slave owner and supporters of slavery at the time.

Sure, there were non-black slaves, and non-white slave owners across the world through time and history, but this thread is within the scope of US history, where it was clearly driven by race, and it was an issue of white men owning blacks.

Does this mean "all whites are bad?" No. Not even in that era, you had a whole spectrum of men from slave owners to abolitionists who believed the races were equal. But that doesn't change the fact that slavery, in the scope of US history, was explicitly racist, and was explicitly whites owning blacks.

Pointing out the racist crimes of the United States is not to say "white men are bad." Because no one except the most moronic extremist is saying that. No one is saying you (if you're white) should feel guilty for things your ancestors may have done in the past. Perhaps they ask you to acknowledge it and learn from it, but no one wants you to feel guilty for it. The past is immutable, it happened, and we can learn from it. But we won't learn from it if we refuse to look at it. Much of American history is painful, much of it is white men looking down on blacks and other minorities. But it's history, we learn from it, we move on. White people aren't bad people, but we (and I say this because I'm white too) need to understand that we built ourselves a racist pedestal that still gives us advantages to this day, some of it so ingrained in society it's difficult to see. Racism never ended in the US, it suffered a few major defeats, but it lingers. The only way we can finally put it in the grave for good is to take an honest and objective look at history and learn from it.

That won't happen so long as some states decide to whitewash events like the civil war and downplay the effects of slavery.
    This conversation has been derailed from the first post. It had nothing to do with racism from the start and I'm not amazed it got here in the slightest because nowadays all conversations lead there.

I also don't engage with race baiters and race preachers more than this. I'll leave you in your delusional echo chamber shouting at the wall.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, did the Aztecs have a global slave trade too? They were enslaving people from another continent and then shipping them all over the world?

Is America a nation descended from Aztec society so that it would be a part of our history?

I never expected, "Yeah, well other people had slaves too!" to be the new talking point for defending attempts to whitewash the history of slavery in the west.
    Why is it so hard for people to accept our ancestors were trash/savage people. It is part of history and it’s real history.

Some of my ancestors were Spaniard they were terrible people rapist, murders, slavers.

Do you think they wouldn't if their ships were bigger than my bathtub? Yea.. Keep deluding yourself.

Who do you think sold the europeans the slaves in africa? There were slave caravans all the way from the middle east to the west coast of africa.

Attribuiting the humanity sin of slavery to the west is disgusting to me. You should be ashamed

I'm not defending anyone. I'm being fair to history.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2020-09-18 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This thread has taken a strange turn....

Meanwhile, Trump seems afraid of the fact that Biden will.... well, actually have money for his campaign.

I don't give a fuck that it comes from Bloomberg, at least he's using his money for something that I'd consider a positive.
    There's so much factually wrong about this tweet, but the, "...major case of Depression." line really irks the fuck outta me on so many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think they wouldn't if their ships were bigger than my my bathtub? Yea.. Keep deluding yourself.
    They may have, but we're talking about history. Not alternate-history. What happened, not what could have happened.

Who do you think sold the europeans the slaves in africa? There were slave caravans all the way from the middle east to the west coast of africa.
    This is a part of the history that should be (and is) taught, yes. Many African tribes willingly sold slaves to the Europeans. But that's far from all, or even a majority, of how people were enslaved. A huge number were forced into slavery by Europeans while others were born into it.

Containing the humanity sin of slavery to the west is disgusting to me. You should be ashamed
    Nobody is saying that, so I have no clue where this strawman is coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Do you think they wouldn't if their ships were bigger than my my bathtub? Yea.. Keep deluding yourself.

Attribuiting the humanity sin of slavery to the west is disgusting to me. You should be ashamed
    Literally nobody is doing this. Where are all the people defending human sacrifice? Where are all the people claiming that other people didn't have slaves? This is entirely a straw-man you created.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Why is it so hard for people to accept our ancestors were trash/savage people. It is part of history and it’s real history.

Some of my ancestors were Spaniard they were terrible people rapist, murders, slavers.
    Nothing wrong with it. As long as you understand that all those terrible things were commited by most civilizations throughout history and not only by the evil imperial European.

3+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with it. As long as you understand that all those terrible things were commited by most civilizations throughout history and not only by the evil imperial European.
    Again who said or when did I say “evil imperial
    European”

There's so much factually wrong about this tweet, but the, "...major case of Depression." line really irks the fuck outta me on so many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

They may have, but we're talking about history. Not alternate-history. What happened, not what could have happened.

This is a part of the history that should be (and is) taught, yes. Many African tribes willingly sold slaves to the Europeans. But that's far from all, or even a majority, of how people were enslaved. A huge number were forced into slavery by Europeans while others were born into it.

Nobody is saying that, so I have no clue where this strawman is coming from.
    So why is Colombus so outrageous to you but the Aztec king that was sacrificing tens of thousands of slaves to bring a little moisture to the land so easily forgotten?

Why is the European trader that brought slaves from Africa to Europe so outrageous people like you never mention the slave trader in Africa that pillaged whole villages for slaves?

Your world view would crumble in a minute if you actually immersed yourself in some historic records instead of getting sucked in by race preaching on a buzzfeed article written by an illeterate buffon.

It must be so comforting.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2020-09-18 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Again who said or when did I say “evil imperial
    European”
    I assume he is referring to all that rampant Pro-Aztec propaganda that claims all that disemboweling and heart removal was entirely consensual. You know, because all of the neo-Aztec groups running around everywhere promoting blood sacrifices. I am not exactly sure where this is happening, but it seems to be a major concern for him, and I agree that is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

So why is Colombus so outrageous to you but the Aztec king that was sacrificing tens of thousands of slaves to bring a little moisture to the land so easily forgotten?

Why is the European trader that brought slaves from Africa to Europe so outrageous people like you never mention the slave trader in Africa that pillaged whole villages for slaves?

Your world view would crumble in a minute if you actually immersed yourself in some historic records instead of getting sucked in by race preaching on buzzfeed.
    If you add any more straw to this strawman then maybe we can have a live event of Burning Man after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Voter Enthusiasm to kick out the fascist??

IN-PERSON EARLY VOTING begins today in:
    • Virginia
    • Minnesota
    • South Dakota
    • Wyoming

There are already hundreds of voters lined up in Fairfax, Virginia. Local officials tell CNN they've never seen this many people show up on the first day.
    Big turnout is good. In CA we starts Oct 5. I plan to vote that day. We know big turnouts in the past favored Dems. So the bigger the better.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-09-18 at 04:40 PM.

Your world view would crumble in a minute if you actually immersed yourself in some historic records instead of getting sucked in by race preaching on a buzzfeed article written by an illeterate buffon.

You keep adding more irrelevant strawmen to your argument. This history can all be taught together while acknowledging the Europeans international effects on the slave trade, and the legacy of slavery in the history of the country.

That Trump, and apparently folks like you, are so opposed to this notion and reactively whinging about stuff like, "BUT THE AZTECS SACRIFICED SLAVES TOO!" is just an attempt to deflect and distract from that history because it's uncomfortable.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Publicly, Biden tries to put on a show of concern....but privately, is a different story...https://www.foxnews.com/media/joe-bi...ocial-distance

A former CNN employee noticed that Anderson Cooper and Joe Biden stopped social distancing during Thursday’s town hall when they thought the liberal network had cut to a commercial.

CNN digital producer-turned-Fourth Watch editor Steve Krakauer tweeted video of Cooper and Biden, who kept their distance throughout the coronavirus-era event, but appeared to get within inches of each other as the camera zoomed out prior to a commercial break.

“Joe Biden and Anderson Cooper are making a point of social distancing during the CNN Town Hall while on the stage,” Krakauer wrote to accompany the video. “But when they think they’ve gone to commercial break, they get so close to each other that Biden is whispering in Cooper’s ear.”
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Publicly, Biden tries to put on a show of concern....but privately, is a different story...https://www.foxnews.com/media/joe-bi...ocial-distance

A former CNN employee noticed that Anderson Cooper and Joe Biden stopped social distancing during Thursday’s town hall when they thought the liberal network had cut to a commercial.

CNN digital producer-turned-Fourth Watch editor Steve Krakauer tweeted video of Cooper and Biden, who kept their distance throughout the coronavirus-era event, but appeared to get within inches of each other as the camera zoomed out prior to a commercial break.

“Joe Biden and Anderson Cooper are making a point of social distancing during the CNN Town Hall while on the stage,” Krakauer wrote to accompany the video. “But when they think they’ve gone to commercial break, they get so close to each other that Biden is whispering in Cooper’s ear.”
    Two words.

Trump Rallys

Fox News must be desperate for something to say to make an issue out of that. Talk about mountain out of a mole hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Fox News must be desperate for something to say to make an issue out of that. Talk about mountain out of a mole hill.
    Heh they're citing Fourth Watch News as a source. Fourth Watch is basically a low rent QAnon conspiracy site. Run by one guy that refuses to take his meds.

Fox News and Ghost Panther trying to launder a conspiracy source as legitimate, totally in character.
    Government Affiliated Snark

You keep adding more irrelevant strawmen to your argument. This history can all be taught together while acknowledging the Europeans international effects on the slave trade, and the legacy of slavery in the history of the country.

That Trump, and apparently folks like you, are so opposed to this notion and reactively whinging about stuff like, "BUT THE AZTECS SACRIFICED SLAVES TOO!" is just an attempt to deflect and distract from that history because it's uncomfortable.
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. That's exactly what you're doing though. To you it doesn't matter at all that any of this happened. I like to talk about everything, not cherry pick events that fit my world view and isolate them from historical context.

Your outrage is dishonest.

If you want to talk about genocidal rapists then let's talk about them, don't get angry if I bring other examples and ask you why they don't bother you. Apparently they don't and that's simply not ok.

10+ Year Old Account

Columbus is terrible, the Aztecs were terrible, and those Africans who sold their countrymen into slavery are also terrible. No one is disagreeing with that.

All I'm saying is that American slavery is very much based on racism.
    Putin khuliyo

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. That's exactly what you're doing though. To you it doesn't matter at all that any of this happened. I like to talk about everything, not cherry pick events that fit my world view and isolate them from historical context.

Your outrage is dishonest.

If you want to talk about genocidal rapists then let's talk about them, don't get angry if I bring other examples and ask you why they don't bother you. Apparently they don't and that's simply not ok.
    Fine here are the set rules of that discussion, focus on the racial injustices past Americans faced and why racism is still a major issue for living Americans.

Ready set go!

10+ Year Old Account

Uh, yeah, let's contrast two people who make sure to promote safe practices while they're on air and may or may not disregard those measures only in private... with Trump, who will only wear a mask in private and who requires that everyone who approaches him have a test done, yet would not be caught dead on camera with a mask and encourages the public to completely disregard safety measure and protocols.

That's not a good comparison for Trump and you know it.

I honestly don't understand the arguments against Biden that can be easily be turned around with "Trump is way, way worse at the same thing". Please note, this isn't "both sides", but "your side is objectively far worse".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils