Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Well then I guess we can close down the thread right here. One dude on the internet is nice to other dudes on the internet! We did it, Reddit!
    Sigh.......why are you behaving exactly like my posts example

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM View Post
    Because of this (and the implications of internet anonymity):

It's a super simplistic view, and lots of people like to parrot it like it's the unchallengeable truth (at least its not the pa version for once), but like all easy answers it's likely to be incorrect or at the very least extremely incomplete.

I think the actual reason is that in real life, you don't interact with just anybody. You only befriend and talk to people that you meet through shared friends, and as you expand your circle of acquaintances you rarely encounter people that just don't really belong in it. If you encounter someone you can't stand you won't keep seeing them and you won't be seeing their friends and won't enter their circle of people that are probably insufferable to you.

On the internet you get to talk with anyone, and that include people you'd probably tell to fuck off irl, as well as people you'd never even meet in the first place because your network of relationship would never even make it that far.

This creates friction.

For instance, while I know some wow players IRL, it's because they are coworkers, and we are friends for reasons other than playing wow - our common enjoyment of wow is just incidental. However if I were to step into a convention of wow players irl, I'd meet lots of fanboys who'd very quickly get on my nerves and I'd probably be an ass to everyone, like I tend to be on this forum. (not an apology, merely an admission)
    Last edited by tamarin; 2020-09-18 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrigham View Post
    What. If trying to get people to behave kindly and not at all like raging toddlers is, insidious, welll
    Your "kindly" means that you want me to behave in a certain way. And that "kindly" would more often than not make my in-game experience a living hell for me.
    You should just accept that trying to change peoples behaviour is a waste of your time. Do what all rational people do: Find like-minded people to play with.

There is very good reason that Blizzard hasn't defined the word "toxic" in their in-game policy. And that reason is very simple: There are as many definitions of "toxic" as there are players.
    Blizzard gives you all the tools to avoid players that fit your personal definition of "toxic". Blizzard does not give you any tools whatsoever to change other peoples behaviour in-game.
    Use the tools that Blizzard provides you with to avoid players that hurt your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by tamarin View Post
    It's a super simplistic view, and lots of people like to parrot it like it's the unchallengeable truth (at least its not the pa version for once), but like all easy answers it's likely to be incorrect or at the very least extremely incomplete.

I think the actual reason is that in real life, you don't interact with just anybody. You only befriend and talk to people that you meet through shared friends, and as you expand your circle of acquaintances you rarely encounter people that just don't really belong in it. If you encounter someone you can't stand you won't keep seeing them and you won't be seeing their friends and won't enter their circle of people that are probably insufferable to you.

On the internet you get to talk with anyone, and that include people you'd probably tell to fuck off irl, as well as people you'd never even meet in the first place because your network of relationship would never even make it that far.

This creates friction.

For instance, while I know some wow players IRL, it's because they are coworkers, and we are friends and coworkers for reasons other than playing wow - our common enjoyment of wow is just incidental. However if I were to step into a convention of wow players irl, I'd meet lots of fanboys who'd very quickly get on my nerves and I'd probably be an ass to everyone, like I tend to be on this forum. (not an apology, merely an admission)
    I'm glad you get along with your coworkers just fine. Not everyone has the same luck and have to endure the "metaphorical axe in the skull" that is the threat of getting fired due to some sort of trouble.

Sigh.......why are you behaving exactly like my posts example
    Why do you have to quote everybody in this thread with some kind of snarky reply about how great you are and how awful the rest of the internet is? Are you trying to prove to the world that your moral compass is superior?

Quote Originally Posted by Rung View Post
    Only time I see toxic behaviour in the game is when there is a huge skill mismatch between the players in the group.
    I haven't often put much thought to this, and when it happens I usually turn and walk away or remove myself from the situation, but damn. You sir are 100% correct, anytime I've had a negative encounter it's been with players who are clearly lacking in the skill department and this is not a humble boast, so true for me as well. I guess you could say the word toxic isn't actually relatable here, anyone can be toxic when there are multiple conflicting opinions and viewpoint. Seek to understand before being understood.

Why do you have to quote everybody in this thread with some kind of snarky reply about how great you are and how awful the rest of the internet is? Are you trying to prove to the world that your moral compass is superior?
    No, no, a person that uses words like "toxic", "asshat", "man-child", "sexist mysoginst" is above reproach and you must kneel before said person and do exactly as they say...

In fact the moral compass you are referring to is not mine . It is in fact just simple human decency. My Scandinavian ancestors had it, my privateer ancestors had it, and I have it too. So no, I'm not forcing my moral compass. I am merely questioning others.

In fact the moral compass you are referring to is not mine . It is in fact just simple human decency. My Scandinavian ancestors had it, my privateer ancestors had it, and I have it too. So no, I'm not forcing my moral compass. I am merely questioning others.
    "My privateer ancestors"... ahahaahaa...
    I think we all have been trolled and quite succesfully by the way. I applaud you, sir. Well done.

Internet + Having to work together + Videogame + Strangers = Jerkiness

Though, for some reason, Internet + Having to work together + Videogame + Strangers + a game being made by Blizzard = Extra Jerkiness

OR

Internet + Having to work together + Videogame + Strangers + Accessibility = EXTREME Jerkiness

Though, Internet + Strangers = mild jerkiness as is, because some people are just assholes who let the mask off when they're anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    "My privateer ancestors"... ahahaahaa...
    I think we all have been trolled and quite succesfully by the way. I applaud you, sir. Well done.
    Not trolling. I have papers.

Quote Originally Posted by rtvh View Post
    I'm sorry but this is 100% not true. You know what humanity did when we didn't have those things? We created them.
    Well actually. Authority figures who made sure others behaved is older than humanity. Its called The Alpha Leader.

Not trolling. I have papers.
    Brother you must live in a very different world than the rest of us if you think "papers" mean fuck all on a fan run message board for a video game where people slay internet dragons for imaginary loot. I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here other than some kind of weird self-congratulatory confirmation that you're better than the rest of the internet because you don't feed into the soulless well of douchebaggery anonymity provides other people.

The sad fact is that treating other people with respect and kindness has hardly any benefit on increasing your status in the hierarchy. Being kind and cooperative will sadly slow you down in a pug environment. Being elitist, increasing your own power for the sake of others makes you more attractive in a pug environment.

In real life we have a saying "Nice guys finish last".

The most attractive feature is success. If you can display success you will attract other people who wants to be successful as well. If you are only kind, people will push you away. Women also find dangerous and successful men more attractive than unsuccessful and kind ones. And being kind is often sadly an obstacle to success.

So thats why you see toxic, rude behavoiur from other people. Its faster to go up the hierarcy that way.

Very few people are kind to others because the only reason is that they want to bring a smile on other peoples faces. But if you do come across them, you should add them to your friends list and treat them well.

- - - Updated - - -

Brother you must live in a very different world than the rest of us if you think "papers" mean fuck all on a fan run message board for a video game where people slay internet dragons for imaginary loot. I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here other than some kind of weird self-congratulatory confirmation that you're better than the rest of the internet because you don't feed into the soulless well of douchebaggery anonymity provides other people.
    Ever considered he is actually interested in the subject he brings up in his first post? There sre things out there without a hidden agenda.
    Last edited by Tesshin83; 2020-09-18 at 09:42 PM.

Wow. And,not engaging. Find peace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    The sad fact is that treating other people with respect and kindness has hardly any benefit on increaing your status in the hierarchy. Being kind and cooperative will sadly slow you down in a oug environment. Being elitist, increasing your own power for the sake of others makes you more attractive in a pug environment.

In real life we have a saying "Nice guys finish last". I am autistic so human interaction is my week point so being simply kind has resultet me in being single snd mostly without friends.

The most attractive feature is success. You can display success you will attract other people who wants to be successful as well. If you are only kind, people will push you away. Women also find dangerous and successful men more attractive than unsuccessful and kind ones. And being kind id often sadly an obstacle to success.

So thats why you see toxic, rude behavoiur from other people. Its faster to go up the hierarcy that way.

Very few people are kind to others because the only reason is that they want to bring a smile on other peoples faces. Bit if you do come across them, you should add them to your friends list and treat them well.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever considered he is actually interested in the subject he brings up in his first post? There sre things out there without a hidden agenda.
    strength to you brother. From one soldier in the trenches of life to another

Wow. And,not engaging. Find peace.

- - - Updated - - -

strength to you brother. From one soldier in the trenches of life to another
    No problem. And sorry for the typos. Last time I will answer on my phone.

No problem. And sorry for the typos. Last time I will answer on my phone.
    Typos are not the end of all things. Toxicity, that most definitely is

Reading the OP's replies to this thread suggests that there is, in fact, quite an agenda that he has and it seems that it's letting everybody on the planet earth know that he is better than them because he tells mean people on the internet that they're mean.

Reading the OP's replies to this thread suggests that there is, in fact, quite an agenda that he has and it seems that it's letting everybody on the planet earth know that he is better than them because he tells mean people on the internet that they're mean.
    You even use the word "suggest" which implies its your interpretation of his intentions. You can rarely know someones intentions better than they do. And its wrong most of the time to assume malevolent intent by default.

Its actually true. Men, boys, male toddlers and old men- we can be gnarly assbutts, to quote Castiel. It starts in the home with male examples being examples of males, and leads to outright chauvinistic Chadding everywhere. This isn't to say women are perfect, we are all human- but im male, so I'm an expert on male behavior.
    beware the male feminist...