Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Habit
    Social circles
    Investment
    Streamlined content.

tried FF14, takes way too long to get to endgame.
    GW2 feels awful
    ESO feels bad
    SWTOR was nice but its 90% single player

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    No other game has the raiding or mythic+ of wow.

FFXIV has decent raiding, but its so small in scale (plus the gear is very one dimensional), and I don't know of any game that has M+
    M+ was actually very directly stolen from Fractals in GW2. It is almost a direct copy and GW2 has had them for years. I agree that WOW's raiding is better than all the others.

I think WOW stays around because overall it is really well designed and there really is so much to do. Plus they have something for everyone. If you never played WOW and you picked it up it would take you years and years to go through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    If you gold farm a little bit in WoW, the game is free and you can even use the gold to buy future xpacs. You can even use the gold to buy all Blizzard games. Can't beat free.
    even if you pay with Gold its not Free. Your Gold is Worth X

10+ Year Old Account
    With MMO's people get comfortable with lore, game systems, how the game looks, the time they've invested in it, etc. There's no sin in that.

I like GW2 as much as WoW but for different reasons.

It's not a binary choice. You don't have to stop with one to play others. Why frame it that way?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning- View Post
    How is the pvp of those games, and gearing for pvp. I would be interested in switching games if it's good.
    I think the pvp in GW2 is fun. They have tons of builds you can try to experiment with (you can even save 3 different builds). There are two modes. One that is like BG's in WOW and one that is a large scale warfront type of battle.

GW2 also has no sub, so it isn't costly to try out. In general, the community is nicer on GW2 than in most other mmo's I have played.

It's a fair question, a question I've been asking myself on a regular basis since WOD. For me personally, there isn't one particular answer. I'm not into WOW for the story (even though at times it's been epic as well as looking for a shark to jump) or the PVE, I enjoy Pvp the most. And even though Pvp holds a huge potential that it falls way short on delivering, it's still better than any other MMO out there. Time invested is a huge part of it, but a lack of an engaging alternative MMO is a greater part. I don't like FF14 because of the lack of pvp. Gw2 is a superior game to WOW in a lot of ways, but for some reason Gw2 fails to captivate me for more than a month or two at a time. Rift is figuratively dead. Wildstar is literally dead. ESO lacks a certain something to put it over the top, not to mention the character animations are terrible as well as the combat animations. WOW is the only MMO out there that at one time or another delivered on a promise. Granted it might've been 10 years ago, but as long as the promise is there, the lure is there. WOW probably doesn't possess the staying power it once had, but then again WOW always earns and deserves a peek at a new xpac, largely because of the promise it delivered once before and still pledges now and then.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow has the best raids in the market and that is the primary reason I play mmos. Also I've been playing Warcraft since WC2 so I'm already invested in the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    I utterly hate and despise the korean mmo inspired art and design.
    FF14 is Japanese, and it is following the art and design style of the Final Fantasy series. It isn't inspired by korean mmos, it has literally decades of artwork from the previous Final Fantasy games that it is drawing from. The Final Fantasy games are literally older than the MMO genre (the first FF game was released in 1987).

So you have backwards there, Korean MMOs are inspired by the art style of Final Fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Final Fantasy may have better story, i can't tell, couldn't get past the horrendous ARR experience of zero combat MSQ until like level 50 (and i really really tried). The ARR story is plain bad, and until level 30 and jobs its heal specc has ONE heal spell (i shit you not).

Guild wars doesn't have better leveling. It MAY have better pvp (again, didn't get far enough to test fully), but its leveling is basically wow's world quests, with virtually no compelling story, and 6 costumizable abilities. That's a far cry from even BFA's lackluster leveling, and not remotely comparable to MoP, WOTLK or Classic.

What the fuck? There are other games than WoW out there?!

I'm going to need some clarification on this one. I don't believe you.

It's the game I enjoy most.

That doesn't mean I don't play other games.

WoW has the best pve and is the worst mmo is pretty much every other area

I have a guild full of people I've been playing with since TBC and still have fun.

if another mmo was actually good (at raiding) i would hear about it, even if living under a rock.

but everything you ever hear about other mmos is that they are good at some other part, and then you stop hearing about them a few years later.

5+ Year Old Account
    Why make a thread about people doing something they want? Let people play what they want. Kinda a pointless thread.

Oh and to answer your question. FOR GNOME PUNTING! (Hope people get the reference.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I'm enjoying ESO a lot, there's much more variety to it than WoW, not to mention the lore is so much better and everything's voice acted. Sure it has some "meh" aspects to it, PvP is less-than-ideal even though I like the keep system (reminds me of DAoC), but it's still clunky. Not that current-state WoW PvP is any better.
    But hey different strokes for different folks, little point in debating tastes I guess.
    ESO could be good if it wasn't such a wallet vampire. Oh storage issues pony up for the sub to get this crafting bank. Oh your gear looks ugly pony up for cosmetics. Oh want a mount other than the basic horse pony up. The gameplay is fun but anything that looks even halfway decent is on the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    There are so many good alternatives out there. For example, Final Fantasy XIV has better story and class design, and Guild wars 2 has better Open World and leveling. Why stick to WoW in 2020? Is it because you already invested time into it? If so, then I assume you didn't play Classic, as you would have to start over there. All WoW it has going for it are the raids, yet people QQed that WoD was raid or die. Why WoW?
    Wow pays for itself. Once FF XIV can pay it's own sub fee, sure, I might go and give it a whirl. 2020 has not been good economically for a lot of us, and can't justify paying for subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post
    I have a guild full of people I've been playing with since X expac and still have fun.
    This is how you can tell someone has played WoW for a long time. It's not about the game, it's about the people you enjoy the game with. It's really not that complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    If you gold farm a little bit in WoW, the game is free and you can even use the gold to buy future xpacs. You can even use the gold to buy all Blizzard games. Can't beat free.
    So you don't get paid by the hour and you consider your time as having no value whatsoever?

because the other mmo's are bogged down by investors wanting a wow clone, or all kneecapped by p2w (bdo) or far too niche (albion) but make no mistake if wow was released today without the rose tinted glasses, it would be a massive flop