10+ Year Old Account
    So here's what I see happening:

Mitch pushes through some clown. Susan acts "concerned" but votes for him anyways. Biden wins the general, but Trump challenges mail in votes. It goes to the now heavily conservative SCOTUS, where they vote in Trump's favor and Trump stays in office another 4 years.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Derpleton View Post
    Basically some states ruling in favor of recounts vs no recounts or some states throwing out mail in ballots. Basically the supreme court would be totally powerless to stop any of it and ultimately state supreme courts could end up deciding the election with contradictory rulings when compared to each other. I.E. WI goes for recounts or throwing ballots out and MN does the opposite whereas the Supreme Court would likely have some sort of blanket ruling (or not and let the country continue to suffer).
    If we go by what happened in 2000, they'd uphold the status quo in each state.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So here's what I see happening:

Mitch pushes through some clown. Susan acts "concerned" but votes for him anyways. Biden wins the general, but Trump challenges mail in votes. It goes to the now heavily conservative SCOTUS, where they vote in Trump's favor and Trump stays in office another 4 years.
    Somehow I don't think Collins is going to fall on her sword until after the election. She wants to keep her seat. I wouldn't be surprised if she made the same commitment, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see her back out of it and throw behind the nominee if she loses her election. Republicans are going to be leaning on her hard to do so as she'll have nothing left to lose politically and will probably be facing an avalanche of lucrative post-Senate offers from conservative groups happy to hire her and pay her well in return for a vote.

I can also see McConnell gaming out that dangling the vacancy for after the election would be politically beneficial and then win or lose do it in the lame duck.

This is called having your cake and eat it too. So yeah energizing the base and then lose and this snake, err turtle still gets a justice when Trump might not have a 2nd term This is totally a Mitch McConnell move.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I can also see McConnell gaming out that dangling the vacancy for after the election would be politically beneficial and then win or lose do it in the lame duck.

This is called having your cake and eat it too. So yeah energizing the base and then lose and this snake, err turtle still gets a justice when Trump might not have a 2nd term This is totally a Mitch McConnell move.
    I forgot, as most did I think, that Mark Kelly can be sworn in November 30th. We would only need 3 GOP Senators to break with the rest, and 2 have committed.

BREAKING: Following Justice Ginsburg's death, Majority Leader McConnell says a Trump Supreme Court nominee will receive vote by full Senate.

So no trickery. They are going to go for it.

Oh the spin? They will say since Trump can seek a 2nd term that its okay to do this on an election year. Where as Obama was done with his Presidency. I'm good at this.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I forgot, as most did I think, that Mark Kelly can be sworn in November 30th. We would only need 3 GOP Senators to break with the rest, and 2 have committed.
    Damn McSally was appointed that's absolutely right. Hot damn, a spark of hope. Though I take those commitments with a HUGE grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    BREAKING: Following Justice Ginsburg's death, Majority Leader McConnell says a Trump Supreme Court nominee will receive vote by full Senate.

So no trickery. They are going to go for it.

Oh the spin? They will say since Trump can seek a 2nd term that its okay to do this on an election year. Where as Obama was done with his Presidency. I'm good at this.
    Wow, I'm so surprised.

God, McConnel needs to go fuck a couple of pinecones.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Damn McSally was appointed that's absolutely right. Hot damn, a spark of hope. Though I take those commitments with a HUGE grain of salt.
    Except he wouldn't be sworn in until November 30th. Still WAY more than enough time for McConnell and Trump to steamroll a nom through. And it looks like McConnell's already saying as much.

Mitch is literally the grim reaper as he calls it. He's a ghoul, a self-serving piece of excrement who like Trump does things only for their own benefit.

If there was a hidden camera, you can be sure he was smirking when the news was first announced.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Except he wouldn't be sworn in until November 30th. Still WAY more than enough time for McConnell and Trump to steamroll a nom through. And it looks like McConnell's already saying as much.
    Mark Kelly is 1 vote. I have no inclinations that Mitch ain't gonna ram this through. And I'd never bet against Mitch cause he very usually win's and get's what he want's. But he doesn't always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    Mitch is literally the grim reaper as he calls it. He's a ghoul, a self-serving piece of excrement who like Trump does things only for their own benefit.

If there was a hidden camera, you can be sure he was smirking when the news was first announced.
    Boy, I hope Elaine Chao is psychologically ready for the nation's reaction when McConnell finally kicks the bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Boy, I hope Elaine Chao is psychologically ready for the nation's reaction when McConnell finally kicks the bucket.
    He is the one person I would pay for a plane ticket just for a chance to piss on his grave and shit on his tombstone.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Mark Kelly is 1 vote. I have no inclinations that Mitch ain't gonna ram this through. And I'd never bet against Mitch cause he very usually win's and get's what he want's. But he doesn't always.
    I know Mark Kelly is one vote, but my point was even his 1 vote wouldn't matter because they'd have this settled before he was nominated anyway. The fact of the matter is we need 4 GOP to commit to not installing a new Justice until after the inauguration and that doesn't seem likely. Sure, if Kelly wins that takes it down to 3 votes, but 4 is still the magic number if and until that happens.

When the process starts it's going to happen fast. People can argue about whether or not it'll happen before or after the election, but it will DEFINITELY happen before November 30th if Kelly wins and it'll definitely happen before January if Trump loses. Hell, if Trump loses it might happen the week of the election because they'll need that extra fuckery in the SCOTUS, as I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if their relationship was purely transactional just like the lady currently residing in the White House. She's evil too.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I know Mark Kelly is one vote, but my point was even his 1 vote wouldn't matter because they'd have this settled before he was nominated anyway. The fact of the matter is we need 4 GOP to commit to not installing a new Justice until after the inauguration and that doesn't seem likely. Sure, if Kelly wins that takes it down to 3 votes, but 4 is still the magic number if and until that happens.

When the process starts it's going to happen fast. People can argue about whether or not it'll happen before or after the election, but it will DEFINITELY happen before November 30th if Kelly wins and it'll definitely happen before January if Trump loses. Hell, if Trump loses it might happen the week of the election because they'll need that extra fuckery in the SCOTUS, as I said.
    I know, I'm feeling pretty freaking hopeless right now and looking for any way to trick my head to not get depressed from this and mark kelly is a spark. So i'm taking it even if it's irrational.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know, I'm feeling pretty freaking hopeless right now and looking for any way to trick my head to not get depressed from this and mark kelly is a spark. So i'm taking it even if it's irrational.
    Pretty much my rationale for posting it in the first place ;P

Yes, no hyperbole. This is not going to be one of those fake "I'm a strict Constitution" judge they will elect. Trump will nominate a William Barr to the Supreme Court. This person will be for Trump so if a 2nd term it will be a totalitarian justice. They are mad thinking Roberts is some extreme lefty. This judge will be horrible and I'm not talking about the conservative principles of the Constitution that they supposedly believe in.

Yeah, I get that. Sorry for bursting your bubble. At this point I'm wondering if I'm going to have to travel back to the States to try to get my parents out. They're outnumbered in a Trump-heavy neighborhood and this shit is getting worse and worse. With a SCOTUS that will rubber-stamp Trump's insane decrees there's no way the US won't be heading for total fucking disaster. Even if Trump loses 3 months is more than enough time for him and a GOP-led Senate to firebomb the country on their way out.

EDIT:

A RAY OF HOPE. Grassley and Collins have joined Romney and Murkowski in committing to not confirming a new Justice until after the inauguration. There is NOTHING to hold them to their promises, of course, but they've all now made these statements publicly as far as I can tell so it's likely the most we're going to get at this point.

EDIT2: *sigh* The comments from Grassley and Collins were apparently made earlier this year so aren't as powerful as those made by Romney and Murkowski today. I doubt they still hold true. Graham certainly changed his tune, after all.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-09-19 at 01:42 AM.