Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Graham is unfortunately the relevant one here. He is the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and he can stop this single handed if he wants. McConnell can't get it to the floor without him. Lindsey is on record as saying he will not advance a SC nominee in the last year of Trump's term.

Two relevant factors here:
    1) Lindsey is a damn liar.
    2) Lindsey's seat is... not secure, for the first time. He needs to know how this is going to play in S.C., because he is sitting on razor thin margins right now, and needs to know which way the needle tips on this one.

My guess is that he won't want to advance it through committee until after Nov. 3. They will ram this one through in the lame duck session. He has zero integrity, but he does want to win reelection, I think both he and McConnell will prefer this as a carrot to dangle.
    I thought Grassley was the Judiciary Committee chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    They haven't really made it a secret that they're stacking the courts to end abortion and gay marriage. It's just suddenly it seems far more likely that they'll be able to do it.
    I thought they largely gave up on gay marriage? I hear it from the far right freakshows sometimes, but don't recall hearing a mainstream politician talk about it in years.

Republicans are going to want to do it before the election. It gives them a big win and a massive loss to Democrat morale. Keeping until after the election means Democrats will fight harder, something Republicans wouldn't want.

But we'll see, maybe Lindsey's personal thirst for power will outweigh his party's thirst for power.
    Uhm... that happened with kavashit, and it backfired spectacularly
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    I thought they largely gave up on gay marriage? I hear it from the far right freakshows sometimes, but don't recall hearing a mainstream politician talk about it in years.
    It was in their 2016 party platform. 2020 one as well since they just copied the 2016 one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Uhm... that happened with kavashit, and it backfired spectacularly
    Republicans win by getting Democrats to stay at home. Waving a supreme court seat around this close to the election will definitely motivate more Democrats to go out and vote, which is the opposite of what Republicans want.

Republicans win by getting Democrats to stay at home. Waving a supreme court seat around this close to the election will definitely motivate more Democrats to go out and vote, which is the opposite of what Republicans want.
    Making people angry also does wonders for turnout, though.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    They'll put up Tom Cotton. He was already on Trump's published short list a couple weeks ago, with Ted Cruz.

He's 43, and a fucking nightmare.
    I had nightmares of president Tom Cotton, but SCOTUS tom cotton is WAY worse in every way!

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I had nightmares of president Tom Cotton, but SCOTUS tom cotton is WAY worse in every way!
    he is probably one of the most boring men on the planet, would never be pres doesnt have the showmanship. esp in the post trump era (hopefully) most gop voters seem to like the spectacle.

Nope, Graham chairs that now. Grassley stepped down as chair at the end of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    he is probably one of the most boring men on the planet, would never be pres doesnt have the showmanship. esp in the post trump era (hopefully) most gop voters seem to like the spectacle.
    Ha never thought trump would be pres. never say never.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Grassley is on the committee, but Graham is the chair.

Grassley was the chair last congress.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Very tough broad. She's gonna be missed.

Can Trump's nomination get blocked in the same way the Republicans did towards the bum end of Obama's presidency, or can he slot someone in without much trouble? I can imagine that Trump/GoP getting in 3 justices is going to have very serious consequences.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post

Can Trump's nomination get blocked in the same way the Republicans did towards the bum end of Obama's presidency, or can he slot someone in without much trouble? I can imagine that Trump/GoP getting in 3 justices is going to have very serious consequences.
    He can and he will unless 4 Republicans break rank.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post

No. Democrats don't have the votes. In 2016, Republicans had the majority of the Senate to block Garland's nomination from ever seeing a vote. Unfortunately, there was no mathematical way to get the majority in 2018 (and Dems in fact lost a seat), so they're still the majority and can push it through.

They need like 4 GOP Senators to defect to defeat the vote. Which is gonna be hard, because there's a big difference for, say, a Mitt Romney between saying "We shouldn't bring a nomination to vote on," and actually voting no on someone you ideologically love for "fairness" that your party has never shown before.

It was in their 2016 party platform. 2020 one as well since they just copied the 2016 one.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't the 2020 republican platform literally "what trump wants"? Like, literally, I thought that was their platform this year.

Trump seems to have no appetite for it. Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No, Grassley is on the committee, but Graham is the chair.

Grassley was the chair last congress.
    Somewhat a good news is that committees are stacked with a +1 majority for the majority party. So if only ONE GOP Senator defects in Judiciary, it can be held up in committee. That would either be Grassley or Graham at this point.

Making people angry also does wonders for turnout, though.
    We're going to lose because Biden is boring. While hate votes are certainly part of it, actually exciting people to show up is what wins democratic presidential contests.

Enough democrats are conviced that we're wholly fucked, and won't bother showing up this year.

Mark this post, quote it, i'd bet every cent I have this is the main reason Biden loses. Low turnout.

Isn't the 2020 republican platform literally "what trump wants"? Like, literally, I thought that was their platform this year.

Trump seems to have no appetite for it. Thankfully.
    Doesn't really matter if he has the appetite for it or not. What matters is the courts, and those are being stacked.

We're going to lose because Biden is boring. While hate votes are certainly part of it, actually exciting people to show up is what wins democratic presidential contests.

Enough democrats are conviced that we're wholly fucked, and won't bother showing up this year.

Mark this post, quote it, i'd bet every cent I have this is the main reason Biden loses. Low turnout.
    How much turnout has been on mail-in voting?

How much turnout has been on mail-in voting?
    I should of maybe clarified that by using the word turnout, I ment "bothering to vote in any capacity".

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't really matter if he has the appetite for it or not. What matters is the courts, and those are being stacked.
    Yes the court matters, but someone has to escalate a case to the supreme court in order to get it overturned. There doesn't seem to be enough appetite for this at the moment.

I hope you are wrong, but I am so disheartened right now, i can't take that bet. I need to turn all this off this before depression hits. time to go play some games for a while I guess then sleep.

RIP Ginsberg, great person and a real fighter and inspiration for so many.