Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Damn, is switch dead? Anyway disgaea 6 and rf5 babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Of course it's Nintendoomed o'clock 24/7 365.

I love everything about the concept of Monster Hunter but I played Monster Hunter World and both combat and movement just felt sluggish to me.

Mario 64 is fucking garbage by todays's standards and I really don't give a shit about its historical impact it doesn't belong on the same pack with Sunshine and Galaxy unless they remade it from the ground up. Been awhile but playing it just up to getting the first 20 stars was all I could manage to do before deciding the skip that trash and move onto Sunshine which has aged way better.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never really liked mario 64. Bk was and still is a trillion times better
    Last edited by Video Games; 2020-09-18 at 09:36 PM.

They should of put Galaxy 2 in the pack and put this shitty, barely improved version of M64 on NSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Mario 64 is fucking garbage by todays's standards and I really don't give a shit about its historical impact it doesn't belong on the same pack with Sunshine and Galaxy unless they remade it from the ground up. Been awhile but playing it just up to getting the first 20 stars was all I could manage to do before deciding the skip that trash and move onto Sunshine which has aged way better.
    64 was great for it's time but yeah it's aged like cheese instead of wine. With that said it's still a very big game in the speed-running community so it will likely still be "popular" for years to come. (Though I expect many Mario 64 speedrunners will stick to their emulators or just plain old N64 since they are used to the N64 controller and limited supply of the Switch version).

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    64 was great for it's time but yeah it's aged like cheese instead of wine. With that said it's still a very big game in the speed-running community so it will likely still be "popular" for years to come. (Though I expect many Mario 64 speedrunners will stick to their emulators or just plain old N64 since they are used to the N64 controller and limited supply of the Switch version).
    I actually don't mind it as a speed game at all, it's an easy game to run and I think most people who ever tried speed running have tried it. Just as a casual playthrough to get 120 stars again, nah the gameplay just ain't good enough to play it like that anymore. Speedrunners are better off using the fan PC port then they are this version though if they don't have an n64 and CRT to play it on original hardware.

I actually don't mind it as a speed game at all, it's an easy game to run and I think most people who ever tried speed running have tried it. Just as a casual playthrough to get 120 stars again, nah the gameplay just ain't good enough to play it like that anymore. Speedrunners are better off using the fan PC port then they are this version though if they don't have an n64 and CRT to play it on original hardware.
    I don't think the N64/PS1 era of games have aged well in general. But it makes sense as it was really the time when 3D gaming started to become mainstream so growing pains were going to occur. I think games like DK Country and even the original Mario Bros game for the NES and other old 2D platformers have actually aged far better than Mario 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    I don't think the N64/PS1 era of games have aged well in general. But it makes sense as it was really the time when 3D gaming started to become mainstream so growing pains were going to occur. I think games like DK Country and even the original Mario Bros game for the NES and other old 2D platformers have actually aged far better than Mario 64.
    Well of course they've aged better, they came out at a time when devs already knew what they were doing. You'd want to go back a bit father for a more fair comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it me, or are the camera controls in Sunshine... Backwards?

I need to dust off my GC to check, but the camera is always going the opposite direction I want it to...

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I never really liked mario 64. Bk was and still is a trillion times better
    BK of all the n64 games holds up the best. It is also my fav n64 game by quite a large margin.

- - - Updated - - -

I find 64 holds up extremely well considering its a 1st gen 64 game and I found myself having quite a good time. Boy does the game look super crisp now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Is it me, or are the camera controls in Sunshine... Backwards?

I need to dust off my GC to check, but the camera is always going the opposite direction I want it to...
    Gamecube version had inverted Y-Axis, 3D Allstars does not.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    I find 64 holds up extremely well considering its a 1st gen 64 game and I found myself having quite a good time. Boy does the game look super crisp now too.
    It looks worse then the fan PC port and it's shitty camera insures it doesn't hold up well at all to modern standards. I found myself just having to get into old speedrun habbit tricks to make the game playable because boy is it a fucking slog to play casually.

They should of put Galaxy 2 in the pack and put this shitty, barely improved version of M64 on NSO.
    Yes, but that is stating the obvious. I would have bought Galaxy 2 standalone for 40 bucks honestly. Best Mario arguably.

15+ Year Old Account
    >arguably

heh

It was such a disappointment we didn’t get galaxy 2. That said I’m good with Mario 64 as it is. I enjoy it. Watching dragons dogma playing it right now lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I want that music played at my funeral, lol. Soooo epic.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-09-19 at 04:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Gamecube version had inverted Y-Axis, 3D Allstars does not.
    Ahhhh...

Y tho. It makes the game play so badly...

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Ahhhh...

Y tho. It makes the game play so badly...
    Because inverting y-axis is bullshit.

I picked up 3D All Stars. Mario 64 is a bit of a pain to play, lots of fps drops and worse are the stutters (seem worse or more obvious in docked mode), combine that with the latency of the wireless controller and it plays a bit like ass. It's a lazy port because they could have ensured it had butter smooth performance at the very least but what we have is an experience worse than just emulating it on PC and less responsive controls than on N64.

I also never realised how good the original N64 controller was for Mario 64 specifically, playing with a Switch Pro controller feels a bit off. I had never played Galaxy before so that's part of why I picked it up, all the upside down stuff starts to do my head in after a while though. I think I could have probably spent my £50 better on something else.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

My copy arrived and christ 64 is worse than i remembered. I appreciate what it did for platformers but god it just runs like a bag of dicks sliding across an icy lake.