Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    LFR is a learning Tool.
    It is as much of a learning tool as LFD, which doesn't work.

Some people don't want to teach, some people don't want to learn, yet you throw them into the class room anyway and hope they somehow work together.

LFR is a convenience tool, not a learning tool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It is as much of a learning tool as LFD, which doesn't work.

Some people don't want to teach, some people don't want to learn, yet you throw them into the class room anyway and hope they somehow work together.

LFR is a convenience tool, not a learning tool.
    There are always folks who just don't care to learn. They are the ones who have nothing to offer the game.
    LFR is a learning tool for a lot of new players. Most veterans don't waste their time in LFR unless they get some type of currency out of it.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

There are always folks who just don't care to learn. They are the ones who have nothing to offer the game.
    They sure as hell do: Money.
    LFR is a learning tool for a lot of new players. Most veterans don't waste their time in LFR unless they get some type of currency out of it.
    It's not, a learning tool involves somehow showing people the ropes, which doesn't work in LFR and quite frankly also requires some form of punishment for not following the rules.
    Which doesn't exist in LFR outside of getting kicked and is more like getting slapped by an invisible hand as the reasons for why you got kicked aren't that clear.

For a learning tool, you need someone *agreeing* to teaching people and others *agreeing* to learning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    They sure as hell do: Money.

It's not, a learning tool involves somehow showing people the ropes, which doesn't work in LFR and quite frankly also requires some form of punishment for not following the rules.
    Which doesn't exist in LFR outside of getting kicked and is more like getting slapped by an invisible hand as the reasons for why you got kicked aren't that clear.

For a learning tool, you need someone *agreeing* to teaching people and others *agreeing* to learning.
    I guess, I should explain what i meant by learning tool.

Its a learning tool for the raid. It introduces them to a boss fight with limited mechanics. Learn that, go to normal add a couple mechanics.. then heroic.. then Mythic.

For most of us, We skip straight to Heroic, learn the mechanics then go on to Mythic.

So in that sense it is a learning tool.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

So in that sense it is a learning tool.
    I think most people simply don't use it that way because why should they attempt to learn mechanics on a previous difficulty when they can also just do the attempts on their intended difficulty?

Some encounters even work quite different in LFR, there it works even less.

Most people stick to their difficulty, LFR raiders stick to LFR because they don't want to join any player created group, normal raid is the Friends and family difficulty which may dabble a bit into Heroic, Heroic is for the people that a bit of challenge but can't be arsed to go through the hassle to raid Mythic and Mythic is for those that want the greatest challenge.

I think LFR has a place a a queuable raid mode. The question is does Normal mode have a place? Since heroic gradually gets nerfed / players get buffed over the course of the season why even bother having normal? I just don't really see what the point is. "Friends and family" guild can kill as many bosses as they can in heroic until nerfs/buffs/item level carry them through the end.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-09-04 at 08:16 PM.

I am highly skeptical that anybody "learns" anything by doing LFR. People who run LFR don't want to learn the raid, for whatever reason (probably a variety of reasons), that's why they do LFR.

I don't think it should be removed; it's there for the people who want to do it.

we need to go back to 2 difficulties like it used to be, HC and Mythic.
    Let the Mythic tuning as it is and tune the first 4 bosses 3x harder than they are now.
    and for HC nerf the first Half of the bosses to normal mode lvl and put those wuf wuf players all altogether into HC and let them fight each other like in a gladiator pit this would stop the gear inlation adn the wuf wufs can have fun together
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by kronides View Post
    I am highly skeptical that anybody "learns" anything by doing LFR. People who run LFR don't want to learn the raid, for whatever reason (probably a variety of reasons), that's why they do LFR.

I don't think it should be removed; it's there for the people who want to do it.
    The first few years of LFR it was definitely used as a learning tool for raiders since the fights usually had all the same abilities just with the numbers tuned way down and you could maybe hop in LFR before that night's raid to check out the fight. But now LFR is missing a bunch of abilities or even has some different mechanics: LFR Aggramar tanking wasn't the same as normal/heroic so whenever a tank familiar with those first joined LFR they'd wipe the group. Also, now LFR is fully released way after most hardcore raiders are done with normal/heroic anyway.

I only do LFR these days because I just want to see the raid once. I used to raid hardcore up through Cataclysm but I don't have any interest in that style of playing any more. If LFR went away I just wouldn't raid at all, it wouldn't force me to do anything else. I know I could raid higher difficulties if I wanted to, but that's just not fun for me any more. I still enjoy pvp'ing and quests and other solo content so that keeps me playing.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-09-05 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kronides View Post

Plenty of people want to learn the raid tactics, but sadly, enough other people don't want to learn (Don't lump *all* LfR-players into the "Too lazy/stupid to learn"-pile), but with how raids are basically set up, the non-learners can mess things up for the whole group, unless pretty much all "Few people mess up = wipe"-mechanics are removed...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    LFR isn't a different difficulty so much as it's a different mode of play.
    That's an arbitrary distinction. Why not say that Normal and Heroic are different modes of play because they have slightly different mechanics to Mythic?

In other words, as soon as you make the content queueable, it places constraints on how difficult that content can be.
    I am of the opinion that the conclusion you got to doesn't follow from the premise. Cataclysm Heroics were hard, but there were no other modes of PvE content with queues at the time. Leaving players devoid of avenues of progress leads to a natural decline in retention in a game where progress is basically everything.

People quit after completing LFR both because they've seen the story and because the avenue into further gear progression is suddenly turned from guaranteed access but not guaranteed completion, into a social experiment where both access and completion aren't guaranteed.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    But classic doesn't "work just fine". Raiding in Classic is a joke that provides no challenge whatsoever to accomplished players. The raiding difficulty in Classic is equivalent to LFR, just without the queueing tool.
    So, you're good at the game -- well done! I wasn't half bad in my day, either.

But much of this conversation, and the statement I was responding to, isn't about "accomplished players." It's about low(er) skill percentile players whom Blizzard in 2011 mistakenly thought needed an on-rails raiding experience.

LFR can never be made too easy, because team activities require organization through management and social investment. I'll let someone else show you Classic guild progress and endlessly debate the WoW True Scotsman of performance. Classic is an example of a live environment predating 4.3. The story of LFR is about the plurality of players who loved WoW but weren't good at it, received a path to endgame in the 2nd expansion, had it taken away 2 years later and replaced with a system actively hollowing out WoW's core.

That's the cruel irony, here: people thinking that it's too much to deal with interaction, selection and rejection, so they just keep looking for another "obstacle" to clear...when that process is what allows groups to make more challenging content look easier -- all the while building relationships and supporting and sustaining the social elements of an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    But much of this conversation, and the statement I was responding to, isn't about "accomplished players." It's about low(er) skill percentile players whom Blizzard in 2011 mistakenly thought needed an on-rails raiding experience. .
    LFR was a massive success and remains a massive success. Raiding is in a better spot now than it has been at any time in the game's history. Whatever problems the game might have now, this isn't one of them.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    That's an arbitrary distinction.
    No it's not. It's based on a sound understanding of the concepts and the difference between a mode of play and a difficulty setting.

Why not say that Normal and Heroic are different modes of play because they have slightly different mechanics to Mythic?
    I am not sure how you think that would useful to the discussion. The point of drawing the distinction between modes of play and difficulty was to show that the LFR mode of play is not compatible with harder difficulties and hence why your wish for harder LFR content is impractical.

I am of the opinion that the conclusion you got to doesn't follow from the premise. Cataclysm Heroics were hard, but there were no other modes of PvE content with queues at the time.
    As I already tried to explain, you're using the term 'mode' incorrectly here. Cataclysm offered dungeons in two difficulty settings (normal and heroic) and both were available in LFD mode. They were, btw, also available in the regular mode by which players formed their own groups and then went to the dungeon without using the queueing system. There was simply no difference between the difficulty setting in the two modes.

The case of Cataclysm heroics strongly supports my argument. They were a disaster. LFD groups were in turmoil with massive failure rates, people getting kicked, rage-quitting, groups disbanding (evident in both numerous player complaints as well as the data). Simply put, the harder dungeon difficulty setting wasn't appropriate for LFD mode content. And the game suffered for a long time because they were trying to balance heroic dungeon difficulty between two modes which required different difficulties. It was only later that they thought to introduce mythic dungeons - available only in non-LFD mode - as a solution to the problem.

Leaving players devoid of avenues of progress leads to a natural decline in retention in a game where progress is basically everything.
    I don't disagree. However the game does offer avenues of progress. And while I understand that such progress being constrained to more organised modes of play is not ideal for people who would rather use an auto-queue system, what I am trying to tell you is that it is a necessity.

People quit after completing LFR both because they've seen the story and because the avenue into further gear progression is suddenly turned from guaranteed access but not guaranteed completion, into a social experiment where both access and completion aren't guaranteed.
    Adding harder difficulties in LFR mode isn't going to solve this issue because the groups that form will be unable to complete the content.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not.
    No point having this discussion if we can't agree on the premises.

The case of Cataclysm heroics strongly supports my argument. They were a disaster. LFD groups were in turmoil with massive failure rates, people getting kicked, rage-quitting, groups disbanding (evident in both numerous player complaints as well as the data). Simply put, the harder dungeon difficulty setting wasn't appropriate for LFD mode content.
    The conclusion here does not follow from the premises. You have omitted the fact that Normal mode was easily clearable but Heroic was not, with no granularity between them. That lack of granularity was a much more significant contributor to failure rates than the difficulty of the mode itself. The rest of your argument falls apart with this in mind.

However the game does offer avenues of progress.
    Unfortunately, with those avenues purely controlled by community acceptance and tools like raider.io those avenues are not guaranteed, and as such contribute to my original point.

Adding harder difficulties in LFR mode isn't going to solve this issue because the groups that form will be unable to complete the content.
    I disagree; see Normal to Heroic mode dungeons. Just because you add the next level with a queuing system doesn't automatically mean that the content can't be completed with the correct amount of tuning and granularity.

Any warrants or backing for this [] claim?
    Normal, Heroic and Timewalking dungeons are well-granulated and provide increasing rewards. No-one is complaining about those.

There is a cap to what difficulty can be tackled in a LFD
    No, there isn't. As before, the rest of your argument collapses as it's on an untrue premise.

Your expectation that average random players, in a random group setting, will improve and progress in the same manner as committed players in guilds is unfounded
    WotLK Normal PuGs.

That is all easy content, even easier than LFR.
    Your argument was that additional granularity would not have helped; I have shown where additional granularity does not cause problems. These claims are isomorphic.

I have to conclude that you realised that I had already successfully countered your backing.
    "I'm right because I either don't understand your argument and/or have countered some other argument" isn't a very strong position.

If you want to continue this discussion, please do so in PM to me.
    Last edited by Firebert; 2020-09-09 at 05:43 PM.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No point having this discussion if we can't agree on the premises.
    Well you have this strange and condescending debating style where pretty much all you do is claim that my argument makes no sense, yet your assertions are backed up by...well... nothing.

You have omitted the fact that Normal mode was easily clearable but Heroic was not, with no granularity between them. That lack of granularity was a much more significant contributor to failure rates than the difficulty of the mode itself.
    Any warrants or backing for this strange claim? Because frankly I do not believe that any amount of granularity would have helped. There is a cap to what difficulty can be tackled in a LFD because it's putting together a random group of strangers with zero way of ensuring that they have the requisite skill and capability to tackle the next level of difficulty.

LFR manages the issue of player incompetence by tuning the difficulty of the content to the point where, statistically, most groups will succeed. Make the content harder and very soon it will just fall apart, like what happened with Cata heroics. Your expectation that average random players, in a random group setting, will improve and progress in the same manner as committed players in guilds is unfounded, and I believe that the fact that Blizzard (the actual experts in this) haven't implemented such an idea suggests that they too believe it has no chance of success.

Unfortunately, with those avenues purely controlled by community acceptance and tools like raider.io those avenues are not guaranteed, and as such contribute to my original point.
    Those tools exist because of the inadequacy of accepting random people. Even if Blizzard did implement some granularity, they would have to use something that measures the same kind of metrics that raider.io does. The only difference is that it would probably be easier to game such a system, resulting in incompetent people causing the system to fail.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normal, Heroic and Timewalking dungeons are well-granulated and provide increasing rewards. No-one is complaining about those.
    That is all easy content, even easier than LFR. My argument is that there is a cap on the difficulty of LFx mode content (that uses an automated tool that you simply queue for), so trying to point to easy content doesn't address my argument at all. So your claims remain both unwarranted and unbacked.

No, there isn't. As before, the rest of your argument collapses as it's on an untrue premise.
    So first you made the claim (without backing or warrants) that my conclusion failed to follow the premise.

My premise was that Cata LFD, which had hard dungeons, was a disaster. My conclusion was that LFD isn't suited to hard content. Now while you may even correct in your claim, your failure to provide a backing to your claim makes it kinda impossible to either concede the point, or rebutt it. So instead I simply pre-emptively tried to rebutt any arguments that you might have. Given that you failed to present any backing, I have to conclude that you realised that I had already successfully countered your backing.

And so you switched to making the claim that the premise is untrue. Again without any backing or warrant. And again, this makes it difficult to either concede or rebutt, because without any reasoning from your side, there isn't really anything to argue or agree with.

If you want to claim that the premise is untrue then back it up with some kind of argument, some evidence etc.

WotLK Normal PuGs.
    Incorrect.

Firstly, this is discussion about random groups formed by group finding tools. Not about pugging in which players are responsible for forming groups.

Secondly you've (again) failed to provide any warrant or backing for your claim that even PuGs are able to progress in the same manner as organised groups (eg guilds).

As I said earlier, you're big on making claims. But you need to back them up if you expect your claims to carry any validity.

I have claimed that LFR is a mode of play unsuited to harder content. I have backed that claim with the fact that Cata heroic LFD was a disaster, as warranted by both Blizzard's admission to the fact (and their subsequent change in approach) and player feedback. I have also attempted to explain the reason it doesn't work (random groups of people are going to include people who aren't up to the task).

Your best counter has been that it only failed because of a lack of granularity. Yet you've provided no warrant or backing for why you believe this would have made any difference. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's certainly an interesting premise. But while you've provided zero reasons for why you think it would make a difference, I have given my reasons as to why I think it won't. Again, it's hard to have a discussion about this if you're never going to progress beyond making claims....

I think LFR difficulty should be reworked, probably making it a 10/15 man content, tunning the difficulty more towards personal survivality and making it easier to understand the mechanics so its not like nzoth/ghuun again, and increasing the rewards so any person has a reason to run it even if the rewards are not tied to player power.

Honestly i think normal and mythic are OK, i dont tnik blizz will ever remove a raid difficulty, the game needs the casual unorganized LFR, the friends and pugs Normal, and the high end serious guild Mythic, and they are not going to remove heroic because that would cause the guilds and people without the skill/time commitment to run Mythic but find Normal too easy to go bananas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by confety View Post
    I think LFR difficulty should be reworked, probably making it a 10/15 man content, tunning the difficulty more towards personal survivality and making it easier to understand the mechanics so its not like nzoth/ghuun again, and increasing the rewards so any person has a reason to run it even if the rewards are not tied to player power.
    LFR's currently 25 man to reduce queue times, as the game is currently flooded with DPS as compared to Healers and Tanks.

Agree with reward increase; whatever is used for currency come Shadowlands can easily be added but at a much higher rate than the Echoes provided by current LFR.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

LFR's currently 25 man to reduce queue times, as the game is currently flooded with DPS as compared to Healers and Tanks.

Agree with reward increase; whatever is used for currency come Shadowlands can easily be added but at a much higher rate than the Echoes provided by current LFR.
    Add two difficulties to LFR. One, current LFR, 25 man. Same as it was
    Other difficulty, same as normal difficulty. And for 15 man f.e.
    Makes it easier to organise PUG run with LFR feature.