Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Level squish in future expansions

I remember reading a blue post or an interview where Blizzard said that future expansions will work like Shadowlands according to the level squish and max level:

Every new expansion we get set back to level 50 and the new max level is again level 60.

Unfortunately I can't find this blue post or interview anymore.
    Can someome please help me?

I don't think that blue post exists; It is what a lot of people are speculating about and hoping for though.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't exist. You probably read some speculation. Believe me, when Blizzard put such information, it will spread like wildfire on here/wowhead/reddit.

Doubt it. They only reason for the squish is because things got out of hand. They won’t need to do it again for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I assume they're setting up their default model as this now, we drop to lvl 50, re-level back up to 60 and the previous expansion becomes a levelling option

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Doubt it. They only reason for the squish is because things got out of hand. They won’t need to do it again for a while.
    It wouldn't be squishing it again though, it would just be putting more expansions into the 'pool' to level from 1-50. We'd just keep going to 50 at the start of every expansion pre-patch; I think it makes a lot more sense than going higher again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaladriel View Post
    It's because it doesn't exist. However, the below assumption is what's currently circulating the playerbase. It makes sense. It saves time for Blizz in the future. It fits the current way of leveling. So it will hopefully happen. But nothing official has been said, it's all player speculation at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRik View Post
    I assume they're setting up their default model as this now, we drop to lvl 50, re-level back up to 60 and the previous expansion becomes a levelling option

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    It wouldn't be squishing it again though, it would just be putting more expansions into the 'pool' to level from 1-50. We'd just keep going to 50 at the start of every expansion pre-patch; I think it makes a lot more sense than going higher again.
    I highly doubt that, that would basically kill the game at that point.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I remember reading a blue post or an interview where Blizzard said that future expansions will work like Shadowlands according to the level squish and max level:

Every new expansion we get set back to level 50 and the new max level is again level 60.

it wasn't something said but was something that people, including myself, speculated that may happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I highly doubt that, that would basically kill the game at that point.
    but the alternative is to what? keep levelling til we hit 120 again and then they do another squish? to me it makes more sense to squish every time because increasing the level cap simply brings back the problems that the level squish solved

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    but the alternative is to what? keep levelling til we hit 120 again and then they do another squish? to me it makes more sense to squish every time because increasing the level cap simply brings back the problems that the level squish solved
    Yes, or just not squish again because at that point wow would be like nearing 30 years old, I don't even think it'll last that long.

You're not the first person to think this (https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...t-level-60-cap), but I for one have never seen a blue post on this specific topic... I think we're getting one in a year or two though!
    Last edited by Omedon; 2020-09-19 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't appear to be so much of a problem considering it took us a decade and a half to get here.

10+ Year Old Account

They literally never said this.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Doesn't appear to be so much of a problem considering it took us a decade and a half to get here.
    Yea, I know it's anecdotal but I know MANY people, including myself, who weren't happy with the level squish they are doing now who would quit if they kept doing it and a few even who were ok with this one but said if they did another one they'd be gone.

I haven't heard that. But let's be honest.. it would be fine if they did it. The point of an ever expanding level has kind of ended. You don't really get more talent rows. You don't get many more new skills or abilities that aren't tied to some current expansion system that they can strip out at the end if they feel like. The game pretty much stopped endlessly expanding in like... MoP or maybe WoD? Since then it's just been plug in expansion system, unplug and plug in new expansion system power gains. Hell if they just made the zones just another rep you needed to earn to unlock things and just didn't have levels it would be almost the same experience outside of a 2-3 day window where it's actually diverse in levels someway between a bulk of the population.

it wasn't something said but was something that people, including myself, speculated that may happen.

- - - Updated - - -

You’re talking 12 more expansions if they do 5 levels each or 6 if they do 10 before we hit 120 again. I doubt WoW will be around for another 15-25 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You’re talking 12 more expansions if they do 5 levels each or 6 if they do 10 before we hit 120 again. I doubt WoW will be around for another 15-25 years.
    Probably not. I can definitely foresee 4-5 possible expansions after SL though. I don't think increasing the level cap to 100 is something they want to do and given that WoD to SL are all 10 levels each I don't think they will do 5 per expac either

I doubt we will see any level squishing again, which means we stop XP leveling beyond 60 and move into rep leveling and building player power by playing new expansion content to gradually unlock and advance max level expansion specific progression systems.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRik View Post
    Doubtful. It would feel really bad to log in and have lost 10 levels like that.

More likely what they will do is keep the cap at 60 permanently. When a new expansion comes out, the ilvls are higher And you need to do the questing to unlock the endgame content. Shadowlands then becomes the 10-50 zone. Rinse and repeat.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Blizzard probably has a pretty good handle on who likes it and who doesn't. They'll take the course that they want, and if a few quit because of it, well, that's collateral damage. A lot of those who would have already quit on one of the two earlier squishes anyway.
    I don't feel like people would take their level being knocked back EVERY expansion as a good thing, I HIGHLY doubt this is what's going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Doubtful. It would feel really bad to log in and have lost 10 levels like that.

More likely what they will do is keep the cap at 60 permanently. When a new expansion comes out, the ilvls are higher And you need to do the questing to unlock the endgame content. Shadowlands then becomes the 10-50 zone. Rinse and repeat.
    They would have to come up with a completely different form of progression if they did that, leveling is how they reset stat progression.