Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Good god your cynicism is annoying.

If you've "given up hope," then shut up and sulk by yourself. Your moaning is neither insightful nor helpful.

I, for one, don't believe that the fate of the western world relied solely on when an octogenarian passed away.

People are spinning doomsday theories. Fucking nothing has happened yet. Mail-in votes have not been "thrown out in catastrophic number" yet. Trump has NOT "stolen" the presidency yet. This "now republican packed" supreme court hasn't ruled on anything yet or declared anyone president yet. Nothing is written.

So either you can deal with the situation as it comes, prescribe some sort of solution to the problems at hand, or shut the fuck up and go feel sorry for yourself quietly.

All of this despair and hopelessness? This is exactly what the deplorables want. They want this to be as quick and painless and get as many people to dip out. Because they know they don't have the popular vote or popular sentiment. They're trying to weasel their way into as many positions of temporary power because they know in the grand scheme of things they're on their way out.

Luckily, if donations to Democratic causes since Ginsberg's passing are any evidence, most people aren't such pathetic sadsacks as I'm seeing around here.
    Why prepare for a fire unless one happens, amirite?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Why prepare for a fire unless one happens, amirite?
    Except they're not preparing for a fire.

They're sitting in their house going "OH WOE IS ME, MY HOUSE IS SO FLAMMABLE!" day after day after day.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If you've "given up hope," then shut up and sulk by yourself. Your moaning is neither insightful nor helpful.

I, for one, don't believe that the fate of the western world relied solely on when an octogenarian passed away.

People are spinning doomsday theories. Fucking nothing has happened yet. Mail-in votes have not been "thrown out in catastrophic number" yet. Trump has NOT "stolen" the presidency yet. This "now republican packed" supreme court hasn't ruled on anything yet or declared anyone president yet. Nothing is written.

So either you can deal with the situation as it comes, prescribe some sort of solution to the problems at hand, or shut the fuck up and go feel sorry for yourself quietly.

All of this despair and hopelessness? This is exactly what the deplorables want. They want this to be as quick and painless and get as many people to dip out. Because they know they don't have the popular vote or popular sentiment. They're trying to weasel their way into as many positions of temporary power because they know in the grand scheme of things they're on their way out.

Luckily, if donations to Democratic causes since Ginsberg's passing are any evidence, most people aren't such pathetic sadsacks as I'm seeing around here.

You may not believe the country's future is dependent on them but.... considering how our country is set up and the cases that get sent to SCOTUS many many many things could be struck down and challenged. The next step is well... for a hopefully very democratic house to pass more laws... and perhaps expand the bench and maybe invalidate many of the appointments being that well.. they were appointed by people all too gleeful to use intelligence from a hostile entity. even after the FBI informed them

10+ Year Old Account

This forum needs +1 feature. This is the right right mindset to deal with the current times, not the defeatist attitude that Franklin and his GOP buddies want for anyone left of them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Republicans are partying tonight, that's for sure.
    I don't see any of them partying.

Except they're not preparing for a fire.

They're sitting in their house going "OH WOE IS ME, MY HOUSE IS SO FLAMMABLE!" day after day after day.
    People screaming fire, tend to get fire extinguishers and the fire department to come running.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    I just thought I'd mention that I really am enjoying all you lefties panicking here. I really don't think you have all that much to worry about, however.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Roberts is tricky for sure. He definitely believes in the power of the Executive branch, but in a facially neutral case like election law, he might side with, yanno, whichever side justice is on.

He's more concerned with his legacy more than anything else, so he's a selfish asshole nonetheless.

What's more concerning is that the next Justice off the board is another liberal, and only then might Thomas decide he can safely retire if there's a 7-2 majority.
    The math for "justice" gets very dark if RBG is replaced by McConnell. Thomas and another conservative could safely "retire" and the neo-con fuckwits would still have a tentative majority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The case the surprised me was this one:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1618_hfci.pdf

Some of the conservatives on the Court aren't overstepping their bounds, but I fear that there could be pressure put on them by certain groups.
    That was very surprising. And the 6-3 was more so.

Once of the nice things about the lifetime appointments of the SCOTUS is they don't have to be concerned about the conservatives. They are there for life, with little or no chance of removal. So once seated, they can "rise above" the fray, hopefully, and perhaps see what should be, rather than what is. They know their ruling are legacy bound. I know that sounds high-road-ish, but we see it come to life in such cases as the one above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    The bar is just so low for reasonable behavior from him that not launching into a baseless tirade is seen as a total win. I wouldn't consider 3 sentences amounting to 'aww shucks' to be a glimmer of humanity from this mentally ill gibbon.
    It is low, but even objectively, that was a very human moment. Not even what he said, but that second when he heard, and took that half step back. I'm crystal clear on how I feel regarding Trump, but I can't ignore a good moment from him when it happens.

We on the right side of this fight MUST keep our intellectually honest objectivity, and acknowledge good when it happens. It is what sets up apart from them, and it is one of our only paths towards the road of reconciliation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    You mean like Obama's first 2 years?

These are the Democrats we're talking about here. They're better by far than the Republicans, but they're still basically a center-right ideological group. They may favor worker rights more and business rights less, but the Democrats have been in charge multiple times since the tax rate was where it should be. Did we see taxes go up on businesses or the wealthy? Nope. Puerto Rico still hasn't voted in favor of statehood. And lets not forget Guam guys. Noone has adjusted the number of SCOTUS members in over a 150 years, and if the party of "bad governance" won't do it, the Democrats sure won't.

Hell, I would honestly be surprised if the Post Office is fixed.

I don't expect the Democrats to actually do much this cycle other than not be deplorable.
    You might have missed when, in Obama's first two years, they passed the ACA.

Plus - the Democrats have learned from the 2010+ years, when they played nice, and had their balls shoved down their throats. I'm optimistic that if we hold the Senate and Biden wins, we'll pass sweeping legislation, and McConnell (as the Senate Minority Leader) will just get a memo.

(believe it or not, one of the biggest issues is going to be our esteemed colleague from West Virginia, who is a Republican in all but name)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I disagree, I am not sure why people on the left have build up this fantasy about Roberts. The supreme court is already lost to us let the republicans fall upon their swords so that the religious right can try to enact their fantasy of the handmaiden's tale. Democrats should be smart about this and leverage it by making it as painful as possible to win the senate and the white house. Trump is bound to pick someone more like Kavanaugh than anything else.
    Because it's not a fantasy. Roberts kept the ACA alive. Roberts ruled with other conservatives to release tax records. Roberts ruled with other conservatives to establish sexual orientation was a protected right.

I am not sure why people don't understand that Roberts is not a straight "conservative" - he's objectively proven that. Why do you refuse to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The math for "justice" gets very dark if RBG is replaced by McConnell. Thomas and another conservative could safely "retire" and the neo-con fuckwits would still have a tentative majority.
    If Trump wins re-election, he's almost surely going to get Breyer's seat (who is 82), who has wanted to retire for a few years now. There's been no issues with his health that I recall, but he's old. Then the majority is 7-2, and then Thomas and Alito (both in their early 70s) can easily retire and be replaced by young wingnut Republicans.

And then any hope of progress in this country is lost for 30 years.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    GOP sees Supreme Court fight as a boost to vulnerable senators as McConnell presses for vote

Interesting they are taking this tact with the open SCOTUS seat.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    He won 2016 because of economic issues. Not to mention his support among the black and latino community is growing and thx to BLM he now has the suburbs in his pocket as well.

- - - Updated - - -

wouldnt recommend that . Federal agents have been cracking down on the riots big time
    he didn't win because of actual economic issues he won because of misguided fear economics, ie brown people are taking your jobs! trade deficit (ignoring of course our 12 year high trade deficit under trump). its all boils down to white anxiety identity politics.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Short list of RBG replacements has Amy Coney Barrett, a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, as the possible top contender.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-19 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Short list of RBG replacements has Amy Coney Barrett, a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, as the possible top contender.
    Hmm, looks like she's basically a Scalia Jr.

While I disagree with their views, these types of stick-up-the-ass-constitutionalists aren't the worse thing in the world. She's advocated for restoring gun rights to nonviolent felons in the past, all based on the 2nd amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I just thought I'd mention that I really am enjoying all you lefties panicking here. I really don't think you have all that much to worry about, however.
    If you don't give a fuck about the women in your life, then you don't have to worry much.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    how does giving up accomplish anything?
    I intend on going through with my plan of inhaling a tank of helium on my birthday till the light burns out. I see no real reason to go on when there's no future.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight12 View Post
    I pray that trump gets his pick in Democrats have gone too radical left.
    How delusional are you? The democrats haven't moved anywhere, but Republicans have gone full Nazi though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight12 View Post
    firmly centrist would not of picked most radical left senator as VP and have bernie and AOC on policy team.
    You think Kamala Harris is the most radical left senator? What fucking world do you live in?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    He won 2016 because of economic issues. Not to mention his support among the black and latino community is growing and thx to BLM he now has the suburbs in his pocket as well.

- - - Updated - - -

wouldnt recommend that . Federal agents have been cracking down on the riots big time
    And he failed with those economic issues when he drove the economy into the WORST recession since the Great Depression. Recording the worst GDP since they started growing it. His support for Blacks and Latinos hasn't moved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you don't give a fuck about the women in your life, then you don't have to worry much.
    You're making a bold assumption here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I intend on going through with my plan of inhaling a tank of helium on my birthday till the light burns out. I see no real reason to go on when there's no future.
    I don’t know you, but if you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    howd u know she didnt suggest it? itd be no suprise to me if the dem strat folks said nah.

she didnt seem to have much of an ego really.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama...bQMdybYRmIjJFa

Seems it was her own decision.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Hmm, looks like she's basically a Scalia Jr.

While I disagree with their views, these types of stick-up-the-ass-constitutionalists aren't the worse thing in the world. She's advocated for restoring gun rights to nonviolent felons in the past, all based on the 2nd amendment.
    That's how I see her, too.

And if you're constitutionally arguing for gun rights for non-violent felons, then you're also going to come down on the side of restoring voting rights for felons. If she is his choice, it might not be the worse thing - IF we have to accept a Trump appointee.