Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    My copy arrived and christ 64 is worse than i remembered. I appreciate what it did for platformers but god it just runs like a bag of dicks sliding across an icy lake.
    Imagine if they fixed the camera and had it running at 60fps and without the stutter, we're talking small things here, bare minimum effort and they didn't bother. It feels like they just got it running on a shitty emulator, swapped out a couple of textures and signed it off.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I picked up 3D All Stars. Mario 64 is a bit of a pain to play, lots of fps drops and worse are the stutters (seem worse or more obvious in docked mode), combine that with the latency of the wireless controller and it plays a bit like ass. It's a lazy port because they could have ensured it had butter smooth performance at the very least but what we have is an experience worse than just emulating it on PC and less responsive controls than on N64.

I also never realised how good the original N64 controller was for Mario 64 specifically, playing with a Switch Pro controller feels a bit off. I had never played Galaxy before so that's part of why I picked it up, all the upside down stuff starts to do my head in after a while though. I think I could have probably spent my £50 better on something else.
    I mean, I've only played up to like 17 stars now, and into basement and haven't had a single issue with stuttering.

Have you updated your Switch? Apparently the worst issues surface with either out of date firmwares (or custom firmwares).

That being said, the game is very, very clearly dated, but I'm okay with that still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, I've only played up to like 17 stars now, and into basement and haven't had a single issue with stuttering.

Have you updated your Switch? Apparently the worst issues surface with either out of date firmwares (or custom firmwares).

That being said, the game is very, very clearly dated, but I'm okay with that still.
    Yep updated just before playing it, you can't sign in online without updating. I'm just watching the digital foundry review now and they are reporting stuttering too so I'm definitely not imagining this.

I'm seeing lots of fps dips (quite often in the starting area outside the castle, but in the first few levels too) and the occasional stutter. Example on the snow level when you're going down the slide, there is a point (where you have the two sharp turns with the camber that can make you fall off if you don't get it right) where it stutters almost every time.

Honestly, I find it absolutely hilarious when people complain about how Mario 64 plays. This is literally the granddaddy of 3D platformers what the hell do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Honestly, I find it absolutely hilarious when people complain about how Mario 64 plays. This is literally the granddaddy of 3D platformers what the hell do you expect?
    I personally think Mario 64 plays great, the gameplay isn't much different than Mario Odyssey. The issue on the switch is instead of the game slowing down slightly during FPS drops it stutters instead, which is more jarring. It's also seemingly less responsive on the controls than the N64 version when using wireless controls (latency) making it slightly more difficult to play.

The issues with the camera are vintage gaming, but damn they could have fixed them. The annoying thing is they released a half assed emulated port with crap performance, not that the old game is old.. It'd hold up amazingly well with a few minor tweaks and steady performance, or hell just steady performance.

do you guys think they held back galaxy 2 to sell it later as standalone?

seems strange to me that it will literally be the only 3d mario not on the switch besides 3d land
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    do you guys think they held back galaxy 2 to sell it later as standalone?

seems strange to me that it will literally be the only 3d mario not on the switch besides 3d land
    Never played Galaxy 2 so take this with a pinch of salt, but I've heard people suggest they left it out because of the heavy use of the pointer in G2, which doesn't really work so great on Switch. Personally I think they thought 3 games was a good round number, they didn't want to put in unnecessary effort and they also thought they could sell G2 to you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I personally think Mario 64 plays great, the gameplay isn't much different than Mario Odyssey. The issue on the switch is instead of the game slowing down slightly during FPS drops it stutters instead, which is more jarring. It's also seemingly less responsive on the controls than the N64 version when using wireless controls (latency) making it slightly more difficult to play.

The issues with the camera are vintage gaming, but damn they could have fixed them. The annoying thing is they released a half assed emulated port with crap performance, not that the old game is old.. It'd hold up amazingly well with a few minor tweaks and steady performance, or hell just steady performance.
    Im using a pro controller and really noticing no issues at all.

I have a n64, mario 64 and a few controllers and the pro controller feels wayyyyyy better to use.

I find the little complaints are so nit picky and really do not detract from enjoying the game whatsoever. I know there are breeds of gamers who insist on perfection, 60 FPS at all times and completely lose there shit when there is a slight frame dip but I dont understand why they would own a nintendo system :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    I know there are breeds of gamers who insist on perfection, 60 FPS at all times and completely lose there shit when there is a slight frame dip but I dont understand why they would own a nintendo system :P
    Because Nintendo firts parties offer solid 60 FPS gameplay with no dips?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    You literally can back through this thread alone to see people lose there minds over breath of the wilds performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Breath of the Wild and Links Awakening would like a word with you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Im using a pro controller and really noticing no issues at all.

I have a n64, mario 64 and a few controllers and the pro controller feels wayyyyyy better to use.

I find the little complaints are so nit picky and really do not detract from enjoying the game whatsoever. I know there are breeds of gamers who insist on perfection, 60 FPS at all times and completely lose there shit when there is a slight frame dip but I dont understand why they would own a nintendo system :P
    Lets be real for 1 second. A fan PC port of SM64 found a way to unlock framerate and get it to 60+. A fan hack on the Wii U allowed you to run Sunshine at 60 fps.

Both of these games should be 60 fps for the price tag. Sunshine is still a good game without it, but it's literal bare minimum effort.

I know there are breeds of gamers who insist on perfection, 60 FPS at all times and completely lose there shit when there is a slight frame dip but I dont understand why they would own a nintendo system :P
    Nintendo games usually run amazing? Odyssey and Mario Kart are near flawless, BOTW has fps drops but is smooth (as in, not stuttering) so it's fine. Galaxy on that same game collection is the most modern game on the card with the highest quality graphics and works flawlessly? It's not unreasonable to expect good performance, and dropping FPS isn't really such an issue, it's the stutters, they break concentration and it's really irritating. I've done a bit of sniffing about and it seems both 64 and Sunshine are having these issues with a lot of users, Sunshine even more so.

I've seen plenty of users saying they don't have issues, whether that's because they just notice them less or because we are somehow getting different performance I don't know.. But just to point out here, a smooth 30fps is better than a stuttered 60fps, but a stuttered 30fps is horrible. This has nothing to do with being on Nintendo, most of the games I own on the system run great.

Edit : Pulled out the N64 and combined side by side.

The Switch port seems to actually run at a slower speed. By that I mean Mario moves slightly slower on Switch and the music is also slightly lower pitched, and also on Switch it seems lots of sound effects are delayed adding to the sluggish feel. Perhaps the speed/pitch is the difference of a 50hz version compared the 60hz version?. I've got a USA M64 cart running through a conversion cart on my PAL N64, since my mother bought me the game while on holiday in the US around 97-98.

Also find the N64 controller infinitely easier to use. Example is the chain chomper in the first level where you smash the wood into the ground to unlock the star. On Switch (joycons) I really really struggled to do this without dying, first try on the N64 controller without taking a hit. Pro controller is a lot better than joycons but still doesn't have the range of motion of the N64 controller, so you have to be more precise, it's easier to "overshoot".

Anyway, aside from looking like ass the original plays way better, it's smoother and more responsive. Pretty sad.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2020-09-20 at 06:18 PM.

Has anyone tried Hades ?

I'd actually never heard of it before until I saw the trailer during the mini direct and after hearing overwhelming positive things about it I decided to buy it.
    Let me tell you its one of the finest games ive played all year and completely addiciting! Its very polished and full of charming characters.
    If you remotely are a fan of rogue-likes then boy this is the best one in a while.

My play time on my switch is dominated by Binding of Issac and Enter the Gungeon. This is so destined to join those 2.

Has anyone tried Hades ?

I'd actually never heard of it before until I saw the trailer during the mini direct and after hearing overwhelming positive things about it I decided to buy it.
    Let me tell you its one of the finest games ive played all year and completely addiciting! Its very polished and full of charming characters.
    If you remotely are a fan of rogue-likes then boy this is the best one in a while.

My play time on my switch is dominated by Binding of Issac and Enter the Gungeon. This is so destined to join those 2.
    Supergiant Games has not had a bad game which surprises me. Also the music just keeps getting better.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

My first time playing Sunshine and I didn’t notice it but at some point the Fludd control clicked. I wasn’t a fan at first but it is growing on me. I didn’t realize this was Bowser Jrs first appearance. That had to have some heads spinning back in the day.

Played 64 a bit, didn’t notice any issues. Also played SMG a bit but backed off before I got sucked into it again. Really hope they get 3D land and SMG2 on the switch. To have all those games (Plus 3D world) on one console? Wow. Has there been any info on what Bowser’s Fury is besides the trailer tease?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm...

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matth...eleasing-soon/

Now i gota watch out amazon before scalpers show up.

Well that pokemo stream was garbo if you don't like sword and shield but its interesting that just after retrade marking HG and SS after their 10th anniversary that music video had all the characters that show up in those games using their HGSS designs specifically. I remember a few months back a leaker saying "the new pokemon games wont make everyone happy" so i bet lets go gold and silver is totally happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that pokemo stream was garbo if you don't like sword and shield but its interesting that just after retrade marking HG and SS after their 10th anniversary that music video had all the characters that show up in those games using their HGSS designs specifically. I remember a few months back a leaker saying "the new pokemon games wont make everyone happy" so i bet lets go gold and silver is totally happening.
    We thought we were getting a Let's Go Gen 2 remake last time too when all the plushies in the background were Gen 2 soooooo....

I decided I am done with Pokémon games now, they have done nothing to bring it into the modern era and wanted to charge me for garbo DLC with one open area and gym each.

While that is not to say I did not have fun with Shield because I definitely did but I am starting to realize how shallow it truly is compared to other modern games.

I am going to sell my CIB near mint copies of Pokémon Leaf Green, Ruby and Gold though which will catch me a pretty penny on the bright side.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal