Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Looking for Asus TUF restocks, seems like the best cooler this generation, same noise as the MSI TRIO but -10°C less temperatures and you have the bigger VRM and performance BIOS switch if you really want those sweet 400W of TDP.

I did see the tear-down of the MSI TRIO and ASUS TUF and the heatsink/microfins on the ASUS entry board are insane. They put some impressive surface on the GPU coolers, MSI disappointed a bit with just 350W VRMs and basic heatsink/coolers.

If it takes to long or the prices go beyond 900€ I just wait till the 3080-Ti arrives. Just running 1080p with a 2070-Super (MSI TRIO X) and would only upgrade for the same low noise or even lower noise GPU at this point, I wont gain much performance either way.
    Last edited by Ange; 2020-09-18 at 12:56 PM.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if this question belongs in here or upgrade forum but how big a upgrade do you guys think the 3060 will be to a 1060 6gb? i am planning to upgrade in the late summer early fall of next year. will it even be out by then or will be forced to get a 2070 or 2080? (not big on the huge power draw of the 3070 and 3080 or their fairly big price increase compared to the 252.50$ with taxes my gpu cost me 4 years ago. (yes i know about inflation but i just can't justify paying 525$(taxes) for a graphics card my limit is 350$ accounting for inflation. otherwise i will probably switch to amd for price reasons and take the possible performance and driver hit. only way i would go for 3070 at this point would be another round of stimulus checks but that is looking like a no go at this point.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    not sure if this question belongs in here or upgrade forum but how big a upgrade do you guys think the 3060 will be to a 1060 6gb? i am planning to upgrade in the late summer early fall of next year. will it even be out by then or will be forced to get a 2070 or 2080? (not big on the huge power draw of the 3070 and 3080 or their fairly big price increase compared to the 252.50$ with taxes my gpu cost me 4 years ago. (yes i know about inflation but i just can't justify paying 525$(taxes) for a graphics card my limit is 350$ accounting for inflation. otherwise i will probably switch to amd for price reasons and take the possible performance and driver hit. only way i would go for 3070 at this point would be another round of stimulus checks but that is looking like a no go at this point.
    Both 3060 and AMD's GPU's will be out by that time.

3060 will probably be around the same performance as a 2080.

Seems like the 3090 is 5-10% faster than a 3080 in gaming(AC: Odyssey, Control, Forza, Death Stranding). According to a chinese website that upsied on an embargo.(cant link and this is 3rd-hand info, cause I don't know shit about chinese).

Although synthetic benchmarks from the leak is showing a 19-20% uplift.

Am somewhat sceptical of these results, but I never expected it to be a crazy uplift anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think that 10GB on 3080 is irrelevant.

If leaks are true - they are prepping both 20GB model (that's a "duh" really) and potentially Ti/Super version too. I'll pick one of these in a bit over half a year from now, depending on whatever is out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Seems like the 3090 is 5-10% faster than a 3080 in gaming(AC: Odyssey, Control, Forza, Death Stranding). According to a chinese website that upsied on an embargo.(cant link and this is 3rd-hand info, cause I don't know shit about chinese).

Although synthetic benchmarks from the leak is showing a 19-20% uplift.

Am somewhat sceptical of these results, but I never expected it to be a crazy uplift anyways.
    There is a speculation that existing software can't keep up with all the amount of cores in 3000 series, so it might be that both the gap and performance of 3090 and 3080 will increase over time once compatibility is improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I just think that 10GB on 3080 is irrelevant.

If leaks are true - they are prepping both 20GB model (that's a "duh" really) and potentially Ti/Super version too. I'll pick one of these in a bit over half a year from now, depending on whatever is out there.
    I really hope the increased memory variants are the ti/super and not an additional model. They' ll obviously cost a lot more and im tired of nvidia layering the product stack in this way.

However. I'm playing 1440p, so 10gb should be enough ans i don't plan to upgrade my monitor anytime soon.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I really hope the increased memory variants are the ti/super and not an additional model. They' ll obviously cost a lot more and im tired of nvidia layering the product stack in this way.

However. I'm playing 1440p, so 10gb should be enough ans i don't plan to upgrade my monitor anytime soon.
    I believe GN did a piece on how much VRAM you need, and 10gb is enough for pretty much anything you could want

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I believe GN did a piece on how much VRAM you need, and 10gb is enough for pretty much anything you could want
    MSF already uses 15GB at 4k.

Sure people can go "omegalulz flight simulator kekw", but that one is merely the first in the long line of games to come. New console generation will raise the bar a lot and GPU is not something you buy for a year, neither you buy 3080 to stay at 1440p.

So yes, 10GB vRAM is a big concern there.

10+ Year Old Account

Sure people can go "omegalulz flight simulator kekw", but that one is merely the first in the long line of games to come. New console generation will raise the bar a lot and GPU is not something you buy for a year, neither you buy 3080 to stay at 1440p.

But 4k is super rare.
    I'm getting a 3090 and staying at 1440p144hz. I don't see a reason to go 4k144 or downgrading to 60

And MSF is basically like Crysis, it requires way more power than anything else currently out..
    And also MSF is pretty unoptimized from what I know

15+ Year Old Account

I sure would. It means I could play at 1440p and max settings far longer than if I bought a 3070, for example.

I think there is nothing wrong with MS flight sim, but this game raises the bar for anything open world, its the only game that tries to replicate the very world around us in the scale that it does.

That alone puts it in its own category, every other game pretty much fixes the scale so its a lot more conservative in comparison.

Then even more reasons not to buy a 20gb card. curiois about how the 3070 "improved version" will end in performance and price compared to the 3080. Right now the 3080 TUF looks the best candidate, while i'll wait for stock

But 4k is super rare.
    its going to be the only resolution I play at after I buy the 3080

if I didnt have 4K i would not even be buying a 3080
    3070 is a better fit for 1440p

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    People also seem to be forgetting about tensor memory compression.

Tensor Memory Compression will be on Ampere, and will use Tensor Cores to both compress and decompress items that are stored in VRAM. This could see a 20-40% reduction in VRAM usage, or more VRAM usage with higher textures in next-gen games and Tensor Memory Compression decreasing that VRAM footprint by 20-40%.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    What the hell are you smoking boy?
    If something is 24% slower, then the other thing is 24% faster. You can't change that.

If i run 24% slower then you, that means you run 24% faster then me

So yes the RTX 3080 is 24% faster then the RTX 2080 ti in those test
    100*.24=24 100-24=76 76*.24=18.24 76+18.24=94.24

Literally your math
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    its going to be the only resolution I play at after I buy the 3080

if I didnt have 4K i would not even be buying a 3080
    3070 is a better fit for 1440p
    3070, assuming it matches a 2080ti exactly, cannot maintain 144fps at 1440p in every game out right now. If you're going for 60fps, sure, but then you might as well get a 3060 whenever that launches, assuming it matches 2070 super

Then even more reasons not to buy a 20gb card. curiois about how the 3070 "improved version" will end in performance and price compared to the 3080. Right now the 3080 TUF looks the best candidate, while i'll wait for stock
    Oh yeah, the TUF looks surprisingly competent. If you're going for a 3080 it seems like a very good card to get.

Oh yeah, the TUF looks surprisingly competent. If you're going for a 3080 it seems like a very good card to get.
    Yeah, seems the card to fo for 1440p 144fps. Priced right, don't have the need for more memory and i want the jump from my 1080ti to be pretty significant. I think i'll try to get one for xmas, or bday since it's in february.

I just hope it's gonna be in stock and doesn't cost like 150 bucks more. Damn scalpers.

Afaik the CX HDMI 2.1 implementation has 40Gbps of bandwidth, while the specification is up to 48Gbps which is what C9 for example has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, seems the card to fo for 1440p 144fps. Priced right, don't have the need for more memory and i want the jump from my 1080ti to be pretty significant. I think i'll try to get one for xmas, or bday since it's in february.

I just hope it's gonna be in stock and doesn't cost like 150 bucks more. Damn scalpers.
    I think the TUF is supposed to be 750 or something.